Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

steel_horse75 10-16-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1259372)
Aloha !

Besides being truly atrocious, the melody of these verses are stolen from a really famous anthem, I think. Everyone around me knows what I'm talking about yet no one can mention the title.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Light up your life - Spice Girls?

Jack27 10-16-2019 02:38 PM

Can anyone remember the Instagram post by the guy who does the mixing saying that a song would be part of a film/documentary but he didn't know when it would be released? I guess this is that? Jon has said that there's a song on the album about PTSD...so this is bound to be that song also!

liljovi93 10-16-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack27 (Post 1259381)
Can anyone remember the Instagram post by the guy who does the mixing saying that a song would be part of a film/documentary but he didn't know when it would be released? I guess this is that? Jon has said that there's a song on the album about PTSD...so this is bound to be that song also!

Yeah, this is the song. November 1st is release date.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 10-16-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259371)
I could see it not making an album but with all the band pre promo footage, I doubt Jon would call it a JBJ album...

I just think its one of those things... Like how the Stand Up Guy tracks made WAN.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Sure but that was delegated to bonus track status. If Jon's going on about how this song is on the album and the powers-that-be submitted it as a Jon solo song, who knows. I don't THINK he'd drop the band name but it'd be a good way to save some face.

JackieBlue 10-16-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259383)
Sure but that was delegated to bonus track status. If Jon's going on about how this song is on the album and the powers-that-be submitted it as a Jon solo song, who knows. I don't THINK he'd drop the band name but it'd be a good way to save some face.

Isn't Jon "the -powers-that-be" now? Wouldn't "UMG (on behalf of Bon Jovi Profit Split)" mean that Jon determines who is credited as the artist?

As you point out, Jon has been quoted as saying that "one song on the album is about PTSD", iirc. I guess this song could be a different song about PTSD; but unless he's just in that groove, that seems a little unlikely to me. Or, idk, maybe working with them on the documentary inspired a second song in the same vein? *shrugs*

Here's another thought: Am I remembering correctly that Blaze was re-recorded by the band for release on Crossroads? If so, maybe he's done the same thing with this song. Maybe he wrote and recorded it himself, specifically for the documentary, but then decided he wanted the band to record the song for the album. Just thinking out loud...

There's one thing I don't get in your post, though, so I'm curious. Why would Jon need to save face; and how would saying it's JBJ vs Bon Jovi help?

Rdkopper 10-16-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1259384)
Am I remembering correctly that Blaze was re-recorded by the band for release on Crossroads?

This I never heard...

Back on topic: Not only is the song inspired to be about PTSD but the Chorus says "Unbroken"... Both match up perfectly to Jon's Q&A session. Jon said he wrote a song called Unbroken which is about dealing with PTSD.

I'm going to call this the bonus track on 20/20 for now...

I can't see this being the final mix either... I compared the production to the last song the band released (Walls) to compare sound and mainly vocals, and this track is so much rougher... Unless they are going for a more natural sound so it's not as shocking when Jon performs them live.

JackieBlue 10-16-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259385)
This I never heard...

Yeah, that's why I asked. I thought I remembered reading that somewhere, perhaps as justification for why a Jon solo song was included on a band's greatest hits compilation; but maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Supersonic 10-16-2019 05:36 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259373)
Ode to joy (Beethoven's ninth symphony)

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Yeah, that's the one! It's the European anthem.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Captain_jovi 10-16-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1259384)
Isn't Jon "the -powers-that-be" now? Wouldn't "UMG (on behalf of Bon Jovi Profit Split)" mean that Jon determines who is credited as the artist?

As you point out, Jon has been quoted as saying that "one song on the album is about PTSD", iirc. I guess this song could be a different song about PTSD; but unless he's just in that groove, that seems a little unlikely to me. Or, idk, maybe working with them on the documentary inspired a second song in the same vein? *shrugs*

Here's another thought: Am I remembering correctly that Blaze was re-recorded by the band for release on Crossroads? If so, maybe he's done the same thing with this song. Maybe he wrote and recorded it himself, specifically for the documentary, but then decided he wanted the band to record the song for the album. Just thinking out loud...

There's one thing I don't get in your post, though, so I'm curious. Why would Jon need to save face; and how would saying it's JBJ vs Bon Jovi help?

Yup. Because it's coming from Jon's camp what the song is credited under it's a very strange move to do a 180 from the recent years of "We're a band now more than ever" and credit a song from a band album as a solo song. We've seen plenty of the opposite (songs done by the solo band credited as band songs) though.

That was a really weird fake fact from the early 2000s (? I think?) That got debunked. That's 100 percent Jeff Beck playing guitar on the Crossroads version.

To your last point....part of me wonders if Jon has decided to drop the band angle and just fully go forward with calling it as his own name. His big creative partner isn't technically a band member, his other guitarist is a hired hand, Dave and Tico don't write for the band and might not be as involved as they used to be. He could finally be ready to say "this is me, sometimes we all do it all together sometimes not". Could all just be a cockeyed theory but calling a band album song as "by Jon Bon Jovi" after three years of ramming the idea of a band down our throats isn't making as much sense to me.

Rdkopper 10-17-2019 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1259387)
Aloha !

Yeah, that's the one! It's the European anthem.

Salaam Aleikum,

Sebastiaan

I think it's more of this... 16 seconds in.. not exact but a few changes and it's there.

https://youtu.be/zCTJmXrgsFg

Rdkopper 10-17-2019 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259389)
Yup. Because it's coming from Jon's camp what the song is credited under it's a very strange move to do a 180 from the recent years of "We're a band now more than ever" and credit a song from a band album as a solo song. We've seen plenty of the opposite (songs done by the solo band credited as band songs) though.

That was a really weird fake fact from the early 2000s (? I think?) That got debunked. That's 100 percent Jeff Beck playing guitar on the Crossroads version.

To your last point....part of me wonders if Jon has decided to drop the band angle and just fully go forward with calling it as his own name. His big creative partner isn't technically a band member, his other guitarist is a hired hand, Dave and Tico don't write for the band and might not be as involved as they used to be. He could finally be ready to say "this is me, sometimes we all do it all together sometimes not". Could all just be a cockeyed theory but calling a band album song as "by Jon Bon Jovi" after three years of ramming the idea of a band down our throats isn't making as much sense to me.

No. I really don't think so for touring purposes... People want to see the band Bon Jovi... I know he shares the name so it's an easy transition but once he does that, it takes the casual fan out of it and it becomes a die hard only Jon niche.

Johny 10-17-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259373)
Ode to joy (Beethoven's ninth symphony)

MAybe Beethoven will be mentioned as one of the songwriters ;) even though he was just sitting in the room when Jon wrote it :D

bonjovi90 10-17-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1259398)
MAybe Beethoven will be mentioned as one of the songwriters ;) even though he was just sitting in the room when Jon wrote it :D

Beethoven has been dead long enough so that he and his relatives probably couldn't sue Jon for this statement - clever move :D

It definitely has the guitar sound of Top Gun and the melody of Beethoven in there. Maybe that's what Jon meant with clear vision?
"I know what kind of songs I'm gonna plagiarize in the future and how obvious I'm gonna make it." :mrgreen:

Johny 10-17-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259399)
Beethoven has been dead long enough so that he and his relatives probably couldn't sue Jon for this statement - clever move :D

It definitely has the guitar sound of Top Gun and the melody of Beethoven in there. Maybe that's what Jon meant with clear vision?
"I know what kind of songs I'm gonna plagiarize in the future and how obvious I'm gonna make it." :mrgreen:

It's actually quite annoying because the Beethoven's melody is not finished. So if you know it, you want it to continue but it doesn't. :D

bonjovi90 10-17-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1259401)
It's actually quite annoying because the Beethoven's melody is not finished. So if you know it, you want it to continue but it doesn't. :D

Same thoughts here. However, I find the song rather annoying on itself. The vocal delivery is abysmal.

Roll 10-17-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259353)
I made a small edit...

Unbroken - Bon Jovi 2020

https://mega.nz/#!lsQnBYJa!yt_fn3GxM...aFvcWJpd57JX4I

Thanks mate :D

Butters 10-17-2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259402)
Same thoughts here. However, I find the song rather annoying on itself. The vocal delivery is abysmal.

To be fair, he has no vocals so what can be expected?

bonjovi90 10-17-2019 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1259408)
To be fair, he has no vocals so what can be expected?

I don't know. Either that Shanks actually might've done some mircales in the studio again and pushed something remotely exciting (there were small moments on THINFS and since so many keep repeating that Jon actually would have improved since 2015, there should've been something) or that they listen to it and maybe say "we should better let it be."

Butters 10-18-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259409)
I don't know. Either that Shanks actually might've done some mircales in the studio again and pushed something remotely exciting (there were small moments on THINFS and since so many keep repeating that Jon actually would have improved since 2015, there should've been something) or that they listen to it and maybe say "we should better let it be."

But Jon's voice has so obviously, and dramatically, disimproved since 2015.

Also, at this time he is incapable of fully accepting just how bad things have become. Remember at one of those recent god awful fan club/runaway shite events he said that his voice is in great shape (and the band nodded in agreement), yet now he also has to let multiple songs be sung by other members of the band because he can't deliver them. This type of doublethink is not uncommon in people who've been through awful events in their lives and I have no doubt that Jon is still grieving the loss of his voice and his band. It's hardly any wonder why he has all of sudden taken an interest in the topic of trauma and PTSD. I think he'll look back on this time much the way he previously did about the Young Guns record: He's writing about his own struggles in an indirect way.

Rdkopper 10-18-2019 12:23 AM

2018 were Jon's last two studio vocals publicly released.

TheseDaysEra 10-18-2019 03:27 AM

man... that new song. SO cringeworthy.

BonJovi100 10-18-2019 08:21 AM

Personally, I think it is a conceptual song. Classical music is often used as part of therapy. Jon probably used this type of music during his therapies conducted by Lou Cox. For the workshop Jon took the subject PTSD (post-traumatic stress) so ... A song on this subject ideally fits a melody similar to a classic composition. People who hit this trailer will catch it immediately and they won't even know why. It also evokes positive emotions. This is one of the pieces targeted at a specific audience.

From our perspective, the use of such a melody can be cynical etc., but I can imagine that it will be for Jon one of the most important songs in his career because of the personal emotional charge that it carries.

There is nothing to tell about the fact that many hits use themes from classical music, because it is obvious as well as the existence of 4 chord songs.

Dicanio 10-18-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonJovi100 (Post 1259416)
Personally, I think it is a conceptual song. Classical music is often used as part of therapy. Jon probably used this type of music during his therapies conducted by Lou Cox. For the workshop Jon took the subject PTSD (post-traumatic stress) so ... A song on this subject ideally fits a melody similar to a classic composition. People who hit this trailer will catch it immediately and they won't even know why. It also evokes positive emotions. This is one of the pieces targeted at a specific audience.

From our perspective, the use of such a melody can be cynical etc., but I can imagine that it will be for Jon one of the most important songs in his career because of the personal emotional charge that it carries.

There is nothing to tell about the fact that many hits use themes from classical music, because it is obvious as well as the existence of 4 chord songs.

Are we still talking about a rock band these days or not?

bonjovi90 10-18-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicanio (Post 1259418)
Are we still talking about a rock band these days or not?

We haven't really been talking about a rock band for a decade now ;)

SadieLady 10-18-2019 08:10 PM

One of the things that shocks me about the current band status and Jon's voice is that I no longer even enjoy listening to the old music. It is a painful reminder of what once was. I hadn't expected that.

Rdkopper 10-19-2019 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieLady (Post 1259423)
One of the things that shocks me about the current band status and Jon's voice is that I no longer even enjoy listening to the old music. It is a painful reminder of what once was. I hadn't expected that.

I actually get what you're saying... Jon's voice really just went suddenly and it's truly been unlistenable for around 3 to 4 years now. Along with his old grey look, I feel that everything prior to WAN is just something that will never return... In turn it just makes me feel old and sad that that rock star I grew up with as a kid is gone forever.

I also can't take his ultra left winged attitude anymore... It's way over the top and ruining him as an individual...

Supersonic 10-19-2019 05:30 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonJovi100 (Post 1259416)

This sounds like it's written by someone who knows nothing about music and does nothing about assumptions as to how things work both in the business and when writing music. Going from stealing melody lines to saying "others do it too" and consequently bringing up 4 chord songs as an example of that shows quite well how the basic understanding of how (and why?) music is composed is completely lost on you.

To assume Jon's nicked the melody of Beethoven's symphony because it directly relates to the subject of the song is ridiculous considering Jon's done nothing but stealing from others in the past 20 years of his career. I thought the Top Gun reference was more on target, clearly showing the amount of cheese and predictability in his music nowadays. Jon's music hasn't been personal in a long, long time, no matter what bullshit he spouts off in interviews.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Roll 10-19-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1259426)
I also can't take his ultra left winged attitude anymore... It's way over the top and ruining him as an individual...

Nothing less than an ultra left winged attitude ? Wow. Just like the US never existed before Ronald Reagan.

james_d 10-19-2019 10:22 AM

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

He may be a democrat but there is no possible way jbj is far left. He's literally said in interviews that he's socially Liberal but more Conservative economically. Bernie he is not.

Supersonic 10-19-2019 11:08 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1259429)
He may be a democrat but there is no possible way jbj is far left. He's literally said in interviews that he's socially Liberal but more Conservative economically. Bernie he is not.

To a Trump supporter everything else other than Trump means you're far left.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

thesedays2014 10-19-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1259427)
Aloha !

This sounds like it's written by someone who knows nothing about music and does nothing about assumptions as to how things work both in the business and when writing music. Going from stealing melody lines to saying "others do it too" and consequently bringing up 4 chord songs as an example of that shows quite well how the basic understanding of how (and why?) music is composed is completely lost on you.

To assume Jon's nicked the melody of Beethoven's symphony because it directly relates to the subject of the song is ridiculous considering Jon's done nothing but stealing from others in the past 20 years of his career. I thought the Top Gun reference was more on target, clearly showing the amount of cheese and predictability in his music nowadays. Jon's music hasn't been personal in a long, long time, no matter what bullshit he spouts off in interviews.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Isn’t 90% of what is on this board written by people who have no idea about music?

Just shows how silly things are when the last 6 or 7 pages are on about Jon stealing Unbroken from a classical composer...lord.

Music is repetition, millions of songs have the same structure and there hasn’t been anything ‘original’ for decades or centuries depending on how far into things you want to go.

You think Jon has been stealing from other songs...just like every other pop artist does. Nothing new there either.

I do know there’s nothing much to talk about Jovi wise, but come on guys; go outside into the open air and live a little.

New album won’t be long, so we’ll be able to say ‘best album since These Days’ once again, whilst others will just keep saying it’s shit.

History repeats itself again and again.

james_d 10-19-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1259430)
Aloha !

To a Trump supporter everything else other than Trump means you're far left.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Very true, thing is in most western countries I feel Jon would be very close to the centre if not slightly to the right. It's just American politics is nuts.

thesedays2014 10-19-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1259432)
Very true, thing is in most western countries I feel Jon would be very close to the centre if not slightly to the right. It's just American politics is nuts.

All politics is nuts, worldwide. All politicians are manipulative bastards just in it for personal interests.

America-wise, I look at how many wars are created under each president, how many people are slaughtered due to first world politics, how many of their own troops are murdered fighting for ‘their’ country...

These figures may be impossible to find, but it does seem that Trump has killed less than Obama, for example. Totally crazy and unbelievable really...

Left? Right? I love what Bernie Sanders has to say, Jeremy Corbyn in UK and Errejón in Spain. But look at their CVs, they haven’t worked in the real world or suffered the real world.

Jon Bon Jovi? He’s just in it for the ride.

bonjovi90 10-19-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesedays2014 (Post 1259433)
... they haven’t worked in the real world or suffered the real world.

Jon Bon Jovi? He’s just in it for the ride.

I know you related this to politics, but that's what strikes me with him constantly addressing socially relevant issues in his lyrics in the last decade. He's not writing about something he's really experienced or can relate to, thus the lyrics being a bubble of easily strung together clichés.

Not Old_Just Older 10-19-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259434)
I know you related this to politics, but that's what strikes me with him constantly addressing socially relevant issues in his lyrics in the last decade. He's not writing about something he's really experienced or can relate to, thus the lyrics being a bubble of easily strung together clichés.

A really good post. Valid points. Jon really should write about things he know...

jazzsta 10-19-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Old_Just Older (Post 1259435)
A really good post. Valid points. Jon really should write about things he know...

The dude hangs out with the Clintons. What could he actually know about real people, or working class ??

Captain_jovi 10-19-2019 10:04 PM

Would anyone be opposed to a second thread about the album for news and updates and one for how bad the band is? Don't want to sound passive aggressive or sarcastic, just want to be excited about this.

Supersonic 10-19-2019 10:46 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsta (Post 1259436)
The dude hangs out with the Clintons. What could he actually know about real people, or working class ??

Yeah, this. I don't think you need to "hang" with poor people to understand their problems but Jon does everything to avoid the group of people he writes about. If anything he's using them as a selling point, really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259437)
Would anyone be opposed to a second thread about the album for news and updates and one for how bad the band is? Don't want to sound passive aggressive or sarcastic, just want to be excited about this.

This sounds like a pointless exercise. You'll subsequently have to moderate the thread to death by telling most regular posters on this board not to post there or it'd ruin your excitement which will then be ruined anyway once the band releases new music.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Walleris 10-19-2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1259434)

Yup.

For me, recent Bon Jovi music was at its best when Jon was writing about things that we know were affecting him - difficult split from Richie (Living With The Ghost), disputes with the record label (The Devil's In The Temple), being burnt out from making music and then rediscovering the connection with it (Scars on this Guitar), failure to realize his dream of being an NFL owner (A Teardrop To The Sea) and acknowledging he is old and not as good as he used to be, but accepting himself in this current state and still trying to do his best (God Bless This Mess). It's at its worst when we have those about "what's happening in the world right now" snoozefests - Walls, Knockout, Born Again Tomorrow, most of WAN album, etc.

This is especially important now when Jon is such a poor singer and can no longer compensate for bland lyrics with vocal delivery. I'd only note We Don't Run as the exception to this as the melody is so catchy (and Shanks did a hell of the job with Jon's voice in the chorus) so that it overcomes the lyrics being essentially about nothing.

Faceman 10-20-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1259438)
Yeah, this. I don't think you need to "hang" with poor people to understand their problems but Jon does everything to avoid the group of people he writes about. If anything he's using them as a selling point, really.

I think this is more spot on than you're post, Dominik.
At the end of the day it's about credibility. Bruce doesn't live the poor-man's life either. But he succeeds to connect with those people through his lyrics because people believe him when he tells he cares about them.
When Jon tries to write "social conscious" lyrics its awkward because no-one believes him. Despite all his social commitment he doesn't represent those people.