Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Realistically speaking, which Bounce song should have been on the Greatest Hits album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70657)

Alphavictim 11-10-2019 03:26 PM

Realistically speaking, which Bounce song should have been on the Greatest Hits album
 
I say Misunderstood. Jon seems to like it, it was a single, they played it live (even acoustically during promo appearances) and it is a good song. Everyday was tailored to be a hit, sure, but it wasn't one, and All About Loving You... while it's okay, it has super dated production and they've got many better ballads (which would have been apparent on a greatest hits set).

I mean, yes, none of these songs were as big as It's My Life or Prayer, but neither was friggin When We Were Beautiful, and that one made the record. I guess Bounce was the first time the band did not sell a ton and thus have come to associate the record with unpleasant memories?

Of course, Undivided should have been a single and on a greatest hits album, too, but since it wasn't really (promo stuff maybe, but eh), it rightfully was not. Too bad.

rolo_tomachi 11-10-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1259913)
I say Misunderstood. Jon seems to like it, it was a single, they played it live (even acoustically during promo appearances) and it is a good song. Everyday was tailored to be a hit, sure, but it wasn't one, and All About Loving You... while it's okay, it has super dated production and they've got many better ballads (which would have been apparent on a greatest hits set).

I mean, yes, none of these songs were as big as It's My Life or Prayer, but neither was friggin When We Were Beautiful, and that one made the record. I guess Bounce was the first time the band did not sell a ton and thus have come to associate the record with unpleasant memories?

Of course, Undivided should have been a single and on a greatest hits album, too, but since it wasn't really (promo stuff maybe, but eh), it rightfully was not. Too bad.

Everyday and One Wild Night should have been in the big hits. Something for The Pain should also have been included, it was even played on the acoustic set at each 2010 show.

Captain_jovi 11-10-2019 05:29 PM

Talking regionally, how well did Something for the Pain do? For sure tanked North America side but not as knowledgeable on if it was the bigger of the TD songs in Europe. But I've always always always said the greatest hits should have been done differently in each larger territory. Probably would have costed twice as much to produce and distribute but I feel like it would have sold more.

To the original question: Misunderstood.

Supersonic 11-10-2019 05:29 PM

Aloha !

Everyday should've been on the Greatest Hits record. It was a big hit, was broadcast on MTV and VH1 quite often and the promo for the Bounce record was huge. I'd say the reason it's not on there is considering how much promo the band did there was little in return. Ticket sales were slow and the album got lukewarm reviews compared to Crush. The fourth single, Bounce, was cancelled after All About Lovin' You was pushed to May instead. Originally, All About Lovin' You was supposed to be released with Christmas and Bounce was supposed to be released in March to give ticket sales an extra push.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1259913)
I say Misunderstood ... it is a good song.

Eh? Really?

I thought Misunderstood was, after Say It Isn't So, the worst single they'd ever released. Back then every die hard on this board hated it and despised it making the live shows. I also remember the song going over really well in Germany yet going over like a lead balloon in Hyde Park a month later. Yet everyone knew the words to Undivided. Oh well.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

james_d 11-10-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259916)
Talking regionally, how well did Something for the Pain do? For sure tanked North America side but not as knowledgeable on if it was the bigger of the TD songs in Europe. But I've always always always said the greatest hits should have been done differently in each larger territory. Probably would have costed twice as much to produce and distribute but I feel like it would have sold more.

To the original question: Misunderstood.

In the UK I'm pretty sure TAALS was by far the biggest TD song, from memory it was in the top 10 selling singles from BJ, whilst no other TD song was.

Alphavictim 11-10-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1259917)
Eh? Really?

Yeah, sure. It's catchy, almost power pop, and it works for the band. Then again, I like Gutterflower era Goo Goo Dolls, which this song pretty much sounds like.

Were there any album tracks on the 2CD version of the Greatest Hits? I guess Tokyo Road sorta counts, but then again, that was not on the Western version. Also, was Lost Highway (the song) a hit ANYWHERE? I know Jon likes the song, but goddamn, it has no business being on that compilation.

Alphavictim 11-10-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259916)
Talking regionally, how well did Something for the Pain do? For sure tanked North America side but not as knowledgeable on if it was the bigger of the TD songs in Europe. But I've always always always said the greatest hits should have been done differently in each larger territory. Probably would have costed twice as much to produce and distribute but I feel like it would have sold more.

To the original question: Misunderstood.

Well, there was an US, Japanese and international version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate...Bon_Jovi_album)

rokenrola 11-10-2019 05:59 PM

Everyday for sure,not only on GH but staple in every setlist on every tour,it is great rock song,not hard to sing and gives variety on playing solo in it.

Johny 11-10-2019 11:19 PM

I think Undivide should have been there. It wasn't a single but Blood On Blood wasn't one too (ok, it's got a video..). It would perfectly fit the second disc of GH.
If we speak about singles - definitely Everyday. It was on the radios even in my country. I remember hearing it for the first time at an outdoor swimming pool in summer of 2002.

eddie73 11-11-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1259918)
In the UK I'm pretty sure TAALS was by far the biggest TD song, from memory it was in the top 10 selling singles from BJ, whilst no other TD song was.

These Days had 4 singles that went top 10, only Hey god didn't ( 13 )


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.