Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rate: Limitless (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70682)

Supersonic 02-20-2020 07:11 AM

Rate: Limitless

Aloha !

Right, the song has been released. Let's see what you think of it.

I think it's easily the worst debut single Bon Jovi have ever released. From copying the ideas of BrokenPromiseLand to the vocals that just won't take off to the lyrics with bland message number whatever. I'm sure Jon's mighty proud of the "subtle" changes in the verses but apart from that it's atrociously bad.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Johny 02-20-2020 07:23 AM

AAaah, I gave it 3 after the first listen. And I regret paying those 29CZK for it on iTunes because I wanted to have it. Could've just played in Spotify.

I need more listens but the chorus is a letdown, a bit whiny or I don't know.

I wonder what Phil X was doing in the studio.. coffee refills? The cover also sucks plus the fact that the standard version of the album has only 10 songs - first time after what 34 years?

angelsambo 02-20-2020 07:34 AM

it's not funny anymore the police should arrest jon an put him in jail

YOVANAfromPeru 02-20-2020 07:34 AM

I give it a 6.
Verses are better than the chorus.
No solo.
It's all about JBJ.
I hate Phil X so I'm okay, but Shanks could do some solo. Anyway 6 is fair. Not horrible and it's some rock.
I hope some dark song somewhere in that tracklist...
I like JBJ sunglasses.

Roll 02-20-2020 07:50 AM

Poor lyrics, poor guitar work, bland delivery. It's 2.

WILDJOVIMAN 02-20-2020 08:01 AM

7 out of 10... Yes i miss a solo from crazy Phil :-( , but i like the melodie Jon sings "on a nights like this, one Prayer one wish….."
7/10

WILDJOVIMAN 02-20-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1261692)
AAaah, I gave it 3 after the first listen. And I regret paying those 29CZK for it on iTunes because I wanted to have it. Could've just played in Spotify.

I need more listens but the chorus is a letdown, a bit whiny or I don't know.

I wonder what Phil X was doing in the studio.. coffee refills? The cover also sucks plus the fact that the standard version of the album has only 10 songs - first time after what 34 years?

where do you have this Information that there are only 10 Songs on "2020" ?

Thierry 02-20-2020 08:05 AM

Atrocious. Doctored piece of shit. Awful.

danfan 02-20-2020 08:13 AM

Typical post 2015 song. No guitar solo. Overuse of Jon saying Limitless. I mean, I don't expect anymore at this point. Jon is completely brainwashed by Shanks who couldn't produce his way out of a paper bag.

Bounce7800 02-20-2020 08:58 AM

6. Didn't mind the instrumental version, knew chucking Jon over the top would ruin it. Verses are ok, choruses are crap and could have done with a solo obvs. I was interested by the twinkling breakdown in the instrumental but it's ruined by whatever Jon is whining at the time so it loses the effect. Still sounds a bit compressed, thought that would just be the clip not the full song.

We're never getting another dry county or anything close, some listenable pop rock is the best to hope for. It's almost there, not unbroken at least .

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 10:08 AM

1 and lucky to get that.

I can put up with the verses and the bass other that that awful.

Drum machine
No real guitar just the same old twang
No solo
No chorus
The awful out of sync slow bit in the middle.

Im 100% only buying this album when record shops put it in the bargain bin.
Sad times. First album Im not buying on release day since I got into the band but its not a band anymore is it. Its a one man band.

TheOriginalJez 02-20-2020 10:16 AM

I mean, how did noone pull him to the side and tell him how awkward that breakdown is? take that out, put a solo in and you've got a typical post 2000 lead single. Not on the same level as HAND or IML but at least marginally better than BWC... between this and that steaming pile of dylan wannabe he put out last year I fear this album is going to be off the scale bad.

On the "where was Phil" bit - Jon and Shanks recorded some songs after Nashville. He said something about at least one of them only being with Shanks, Hugh and Lemma... I suspect this is one of them.

Johny 02-20-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDJOVIMAN (Post 1261701)

You can pre-order it in iTunes, the tracks are shown there. I mean there'll probably be some bonus tracks (if this isn't The Circle case again) but still, thelast standard album that had 10 songs only is Slippery, even New Jersey had Ride Cowboy Ride and Love For Sale.

danfan 02-20-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1261727)
You can pre-order it in iTunes, the tracks are shown there. I mean there'll probably be some bonus tracks (if this isn't The Circle case again) but still, thelast standard album that had 10 songs only is Slippery, even New Jersey had Ride Cowboy Ride and Love For Sale.

iTunes still exists? I thought that was gone.

rolo_tomachi 02-20-2020 11:08 AM

I said it a long time ago, Jon is allergic to the sound of electric guitars.

DryCounty 02-20-2020 11:16 AM

I think it’s decent, a million times better than Unbroken at least. Probably the weakest first single ever though. I think raising the key like four steps would make the chorus a lot bigger, but well, that could never happen these days. I give it a 6. A solo is badly missed!

liljovi93 02-20-2020 11:21 AM

2/10. Tempted to give it a 1 but I'll be kind.

First verse is ok. Lyrics are awful but the tempo is alright and then the chorus kicks in and it's awful and then I just feel like it's the same thing over and over again. Then you have the bridge which is the worst one in the whole BJ catalog. It made me cringe.

Jon sounds shit and autotuned to ****. No real drums, just that silly machine. No solo. No band feeling at all, really.

Worst song they've released as a first single. I've heard it twice and I don't want too again. This is bad.

We have heard 1/5 of the new album already and they're two really bad songs, in my opinion. Let's hope we have another few decent songs to hold onto with the rest of the album otherwise this will be the end.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 02-20-2020 11:23 AM

LIMITLESS
Producer, Associated Performer, Guitar, Keyboards, Background Vocalist: John Shanks
Producer, Associated Performer, Vocals: Jon Bon Jovi
Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer: Obie O'Brien
Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer: Dan Chase
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Keith Gretlein
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Kenta Yonesaka
Studio Personnel, Engineer: Bradley Giroux
Studio Personnel, Mixer: Michael H. Brauer
Associated Performer, Drums: Tico Torres
Associated Performer, Bass Guitar: Hugh McDonald
Associated Performer, Keyboards, Background Vocalist: David Bryan
Associated Performer, Guitar, Background Vocalist: Phil X
Associated Performer, Background Vocalist: Everett Bradley
Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: Joe Laporta
Composer Lyricist: Jon Bon Jovi
Composer Lyricist: John Shanks
Composer Lyricist: Billy Falcon

Xavi 02-20-2020 11:37 AM

The worst first BJ single ever.
I have no words to express the piece of shit it is.

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 11:39 AM

My finger hovered over the button to stop it halfway through. It’s that bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 02-20-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavi (Post 1261736)
The worst first BJ single ever.
I have no words to express the piece of shit it is.

Technically it is the second single, since Unbroken was the first one and to be included in the album as song number 2 of the tracklist.

I'm not even mad at these things, as I said, I see it as a release of unreleased songs from the vaults.

Johny 02-20-2020 11:49 AM

What the hell is the song about? I'm trying to find any sense or message in the lyrics..

from: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bonjovi/limitless.html

"Limitless"

Wake up, everybody wake up
Here we go, it's just another day
Another buzz, another beep
Scrub your face and brush your teeth
Out the door, into the street
I fell out of my sleep
A million different faces
All from different places
Swimming in the sea
Trying to keep your head above water

On a night like this
One prayer, one wish
Step out off the edge
It's worth the risk
Life is limitless, limitless
Limitless, limitless

Wake up, everybody wake up
Morning comes, you do it all again
You know the song, it's on repeat
Found your shoes, can't find your feet
Grab your wallet and your keys
Better not forget to breathe
Sweat until you're soaking
Don't let them see you choking
A teardrop in the sea
You're trying to keep your head above water

On a night like this
One prayer, one wish
Step out off the edge
It's worth the risk
Limitless, limitless
Limitless

Left to figure out
What it's all about
When the sun comes up
And the sun goes down
Is there something more
Than it was before
There's an open door
What are you waiting for

Limitless

On a night like this
One prayer, one wish
Step out off the edge
It's worth the risk

On a night like this
One touch, one kiss
Step out off the edge
It's worth the risk
Limitless, limitless
Limitless, limitless
Limitless, limitless
Limitless, limitless

symbeline 02-20-2020 12:03 PM

Can't rate via Tapatalk (probably can but too lazy to check) but it seems we all agree, this is a song that brings BJ fans together in... confusion? incredulity? resignation?

I still don't see why some people keep expecting different. Jon releases something that's far from BJ music but he thinks it's current, album and/or tour are a success (in his eyes), Jon keeps churning that type of music until a new trend comes up and he latches on. Everyday was another incredibly mediocre single, this is nothing new, at least it's forgettable and I'm not offended.

On second (and last) listen I realized that the bridge, and honestly the whole song, sounds like a parody we disgruntled fans would make of BJ lyrics and current state of affairs, so I'll give it a 4 for bringing a unexpected and unintended smile to my face

*Edited to correct the autocorrect... it was making less sense than Jon

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Xavi 02-20-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1261738)
Technically it is the second single, since Unbroken was the first one and to be included in the album as song number 2 of the tracklist.

I'm not even mad at these things, as I said, I see it as a release of unreleased songs from the vaults.

No it isnt.
Its the first single and the song which presents the new album.
Unbroken was released as a promo song for a documentary and not as a single for promoting the new album.
Limitless is the second song coming from the album,yes,but its the first single to promote it.

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 12:13 PM

Anyone else hear the odd split second silence after the word “sleep” in the sentence I fell out of my sleep, in first verse like it’s been stopped and then mixed up?

bonjovi90 02-20-2020 12:21 PM

There literally is nothing about that song that I like.

GabrielC 02-20-2020 12:28 PM

The verses are good. The rest could be better, add a solo and a nice ending to the song, and is a bit better. I think I may punch someone if someone says to the word "limitless" to me again.

At least is not Unbroken/10

kleman 02-20-2020 12:51 PM

it sucks big time. What happened with this amazing band :(

rokenrola 02-20-2020 01:02 PM

It is ok song,nothing special,nothing new but I hope for 2 or 3 songs on the album that will be great by todays BJ music. I give skinny 7.

Johny 02-20-2020 01:07 PM

Instead of it growing on me, I get more and more annoyed by the repetition of "limitless". It's off my limits!!!

NicoRourke 02-20-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDJOVIMAN (Post 1261701)

The album's available for ordering on a few platforms already.

I gave it 1/10. It's just plain bad. Uninspired, not genuine, same lyrics we've heard dozens of time before, same 'wall of sound' style of production, bad vocals, no solo, the list goes on.

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 01:22 PM

They are taking orders for Gold vinyl. £30.

Santa Fe 02-20-2020 02:18 PM

Thought the song would be better

PanosBonJovi 02-20-2020 02:47 PM

This album is all about Jon. So it could easily be a solo work instead by he wanted to use the band's name on it.

5/10.

semigoodlooking 02-20-2020 03:21 PM

I listened for 2 minutes first time. Decided to be fair and went back for a second listen. 10/10 for me.

No, not really. 1/10.

It seems so lazy. You have three songwriters who have all written or contributed to amazing songs, but they deliver this. It's either complete laziness or complete delusion. I can't imagine a collective pat on the back amongst the songwriters after they wrote this.

micro cuts 02-20-2020 03:41 PM

Another bad copy of what''s been made in last 20 years. Stop writing lyrics with life in it! 1/10

TheseDaysEra 02-20-2020 05:17 PM

absolute shit. The same old John Shanks sound. The way the lead vocal is WAY louder on the choruses, which may be common practice during mixdown but it's hardly ever THS noticeable. Again, feels like the whole thing is lazy and relying on the same formula. 'This house is not for sale' (the title track) was good, this is just poor, very very poor.
As someone on Youtube commented, I wish Jon would ditch his relentless urge to fit the mainstream and embrace his 'old' glories and sonics. Look, not every band in the world needs to be constantly re-inventing themselves. Bon Jovi are not Radiohead or Arcade Fire.

Seriously, Bon Jovi, please call it a day. It's not even embarrassing anymore, it's just plain irrelevant. RIP.
I gave it 2/10 instead of 1 because... well, out of pity really.

Bleeding Purist 02-20-2020 07:10 PM

Hmmmm.....

::gives "Limitless" a listen::

::Goes back to listening to Tame Impala without comment::

Oh wait.... Ozzy has a new album out this Friday that I've pre-ordered on the basis of "Under the Graveyard" and "Straight To Hell." Never did I think I'd be excited about new songs from Ozzy at this stage given that I haven't liked pretty much anything since after 1995. If only Jon could come up with something as inspired as those, which successfully meld Ozzy's classic sound with the modern day. Yes, it helps greatly to have someone at the helm that gets it, which is very much the issue here with Bon Jovi.

JoviForever 02-20-2020 08:08 PM

It’’s basically It’S My Life part 7 - the same sentiment with worse lyrics and musically forgettable. The only way this band will ever get back to anywhere near their former glory is to get rid of Shanks and to remind Jon they used to be a rock band and there is a thing called guitars that used to be prominent in their music!😒

YOVANAfromPeru 02-20-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1261754)
It's off my limits!!!

>_< jaja

After a million listens, I'm over the trauma of the chorus caused for that contest; and now I like the chorus more... -_-
Conclusion: I don't hate the song, actually I like it, but yeah it's a very plain song. Plus, I love the lyrics.