Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Ghost (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53229)

Emil 07-04-2011 05:29 PM

Ghost

Anybody heard of the Swedish band Ghost? They're the biggest rock hype around here in a long, long, long time. It's almost credible to like them now; even the full-blown indie pop hipsters are joining the brigade. Crazy. And a lot of big rock personalities, like James Hetfield (who's been wearing Ghost shirts during interviews), Phil Anselmo and Duff McKagan, are huge fans.

Their image is pure genius, obviously. The members are totally anonymous and wear costumes on stage – the singer being something so spectacular as a satanic pope named Papa Emeritus I. The lyrics are devil-worshipping as well. I think the entire concept is mildly humorous, but still executed with dead seriousness.

They've released one album so far, Opus Eponymous. The music is very unique, almost like a mix between dark and occult atmospheres, reminiscent of Mercyful Fate and Roky Erickson, and the sweetest, most delicious pop melodies. It certainly doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before – hence the incredible success, I suppose. It's ****ing good though. I guess it's not for everybody, but if you like it, you'll probably love it as well. Give it a shot.

Stand By Him:
Ritual:
Elizabeth:
(And as a bonus feature – an incomparable cover of Here Comes The Sun: )

life_of_agony 07-05-2011 10:59 AM

Amazing album.
The satanic schtick and hoods and makeup stuff is a bit gimmicky, and the album is very short...but it is awesome. It has a Blue Oyster Cult meets Black Sabbath vibe. Would definitely recommend it.

Emil 07-06-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by life_of_agony (Post 1063215)
Amazing album.
The satanic schtick and hoods and makeup stuff is a bit gimmicky, and the album is very short...but it is awesome. It has a Blue Oyster Cult meets Black Sabbath vibe. Would definitely recommend it.

Cool! Did you listen to Here Comes The Sun? Awesome as well.

life_of_agony 07-06-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emil (Post 1063306)
Cool! Did you listen to Here Comes The Sun? Awesome as well.

Thet version I have doesn't have it, unfortunately. May need to download it me thinks...

Emil 07-06-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by life_of_agony (Post 1063312)
Thet version I have doesn't have it, unfortunately. May need to download it me thinks...

There's a YouTube link in my original post. :)

life_of_agony 07-08-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emil (Post 1063318)
There's a YouTube link in my original post. :)

Ahhh...didn't check the links at all...very nice cover.

Dave 1986 01-30-2023 11:31 PM

“Spillways” featuring Joe Elliott of Def Leppard;

I’ve heard of Ghost around 2011 (when this thread originally started) but know nothing about them. Liking this song though.

B.J. Always 02-06-2023 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1283886)
“Spillways” featuring Joe Elliott of Def Leppard;

Ghost - Spillways ft. Joe Elliott of Def Leppard (Official Lyric Video) - YouTube

I’ve heard of Ghost around 2011 (when this thread originally started) but know nothing about them. Liking this song though.

I had never heard of Ghost at all before I saw this thread. I really liked that video! I'll search for more of there music now.

B.J. Always 02-07-2023 10:57 PM