Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Guns N' Roses original bassist joins the band onstage @ London! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=51916)

Manets 10-15-2010 04:06 AM

Guns N' Roses original bassist joins the band onstage @ London!

Guns N' Roses original bassist, Duff McKagan, joined the band onstage today at the O2 Arena in London. He performed with the band You Could Be Mine", "Nice Boys", "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" & "Patience".

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1848152_n.jpg

Nice Boys:
Awesome.

eddie73 10-15-2010 07:49 AM

1st steps towards full blown reunion?

Crushgen24/88 10-15-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 1019541)
1st steps towards full blown reunion?

I doubt it. Axl has said several times that he could see working with/playing with Duff.

Walkerboy 10-15-2010 02:59 PM

Nice to see....

Just a shame that tickets for last night's gig were being given away for free!

steel_horse75 10-15-2010 03:15 PM

I went to the first night - free tickets from the guy I know at the label - I was about 10 foot away from the stage. Awesome view.
Seb Bach ****ing rocked.
GNR werent bad but lets face it - its not GNR is it!

danfan 10-15-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 1019542)
I doubt it. Axl has said several times that he could see working with/playing with Duff.

More to the point, Slash has said no money in the world would be enough for him to ever work with Axl again.

Such a damn shame.

Supersonic 10-15-2010 08:31 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1019581)
More to the point, Slash has said no money in the world would be enough for him to ever work with Axl again.

Such a damn shame.

Not really. Slash has said that no money in the world can bring them back together because Axl isn't willing to go for it. Slash doesn't give a shit about anything, he just wants to play without all the drama Axl always gets himself involved in.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

danfan 10-15-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1019591)
Aloha !

Not really. Slash has said that no money in the world can bring them back together because Axl isn't willing to go for it. Slash doesn't give a shit about anything, he just wants to play without all the drama Axl always gets himself involved in.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

That's not what Slash said in his auto-biography. He claims he would never go back.

I think it is a shame. That would be a reunion tour to end all reunion tours.

Captain Walrus 10-15-2010 09:08 PM

Goddamit, I was there the night before!!!! :mad:

And I wasn't massively into it to be honest. But Duff would have really made it for me!

rocknation 10-15-2010 09:20 PM

I remember reading a blurb in Hit Parader magazine (remember when you read rock magazines?) about this up-and-coming band called Guns N Roses. They had a lot of potential, but were in danger of being done in by their hard-partying lifestyle--an appetite for SELF-destruction, as it were.

I've taken to referring to them as "the greatest rock band that should have been."

Bounce7800 10-15-2010 11:58 PM

Was tempted to go down as I was in the area, but after Axl turned up nearer midnight the last time I saw them I decided to give it a miss and get more pissed instead. Shame, cos I like Chinese Democracy.

UKjovi 10-16-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkerboy (Post 1019564)
Nice to see....

Just a shame that tickets for last night's gig were being given away for free!

What??? I thought this was sold out? When I looked for tickets a couple of months ago it was sold out.

Manets 10-16-2010 08:25 PM

Axl already played with Izzy (2006) and Duff (2010), and went to a stripclub with Steven Adler (2006). But he will never play with Slash again. That's because Slash bashes Axl when it's interesting and praises when it's interesting. He's a liar, a music prostitute. That's why.
Duff's not. Duff is a musician that sticked to his roots and didn't sold himself playing with a bunch of popstars (Justin Bieber, Pussycat Dolls, Black Eyed Peas, among others). I'm not saying this is the reason why Axl played with Duff and won't play with Slash. I'm just saying that this is one of the main differences between them.
Axl didn't have any problem with Duff before, and Duff only sued Axl because what they were fighting for was something that Duff helped to make, it was his right.
But Slash... Axl always had problems with him.

Slash would give anything to play with Axl Rose again.

Bleeding Purist 10-16-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manets (Post 1019724)
Slash would give anything to play with Axl Rose again.

I think you have a very warped idea about who the talent was in the original band and who Axl is.

Javier 10-16-2010 10:07 PM

Get Duff AND Izzy and at least you're partly there and it would still be something special to see.

I've always said A full G'n'R reunion will happen someday, just not now, they still need to get to the point where they are old enough to be too old for anyone to care about them without each other.....

sammy645 10-17-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

I think you have a very warped idea about who the talent was in the original band and who Axl is.
Lol, if you think all the talent in the original band come from Slash then you are way off. I would say Axl and Izzy were the two most important members of the band, than Slash. Slash has released shit loads of material since Guns N' Roses, and to be frank his new work is just boring, if it was up to him GN'R would have released AFD over and over again, and we would have never got Coma, Estranged or November Rain.

Supersonic 10-17-2010 10:30 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammy645 (Post 1019766)
Lol, if you think all the talent in the original band come from Slash then you are way off. I would say Axl and Izzy were the two most important members of the band, than Slash. Slash has released shit loads of material since Guns N' Roses, and to be frank his new work is just boring, if it was up to him GN'R would have released AFD over and over again, and we would have never got Coma, Estranged or November Rain.

Yeah, a Axl vs. Slash debate. Why is it so hard to understand for some people that Axl is a dictator and wanted GnR to be his project, but that when Axl and Slash used to work together they brought out the best in eachother. Why a debate about who's the most talented?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

sammy645 10-17-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Yeah, a Axl vs. Slash debate. Why is it so hard to understand for some people that Axl is a dictator and wanted GnR to be his project, but that when Axl and Slash used to work together they brought out the best in eachother. Why a debate about who's the most talented?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
I agree, i dont think any of the members will ever be as good as they were together. Axl is a prick no doubt about it, but isnt any reason for people to forget that his actually a very talented musician

Bleeding Purist 10-17-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammy645 (Post 1019766)

*insert derisive "LOL" here*

Learn to read and don't live just in your own head trying to argue against statements that weren't made. There was a band there, not just Axl and Slash.

Bleeding Purist 10-17-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammy645 (Post 1019779)
Axl is a prick no doubt about it, but isnt any reason for people to forget that his actually a very talented musician

It's cute when kids develop fantasies about their heroes.

sammy645 10-17-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

It's cute when kids develop fantasies about their heroes.
You know you should listen to some of Axls rants, you might learn how to probably insult someone that way. I mean seriously the best you can do is call me a kid? plzz

Now if i misunderstood you, well so what. The person that posted before said that Slash needs Axl, and then you posted about how he has no idea who the talent was in the band, obv implying that Axl was not as talent as the rest.
I mean if Slash and Duff and hell even matt, were the majority of the talent behind the band then shouldnt Velvet Revolver have released albums as good as Guns N' Roses did?

I'm just saying you have to give the devil his due

Supersonic 10-17-2010 08:26 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammy645 (Post 1019827)
You know you should listen to some of Axls rants, you might learn how to probably insult someone that way. I mean seriously the best you can do is call me a kid? plzz

Axl's so called rants are laughable and pointless. The rants he used to do back then only made it more obvious that the guy had issues with pretty much everything and always thought he was a victim of whatever the world could throw in his face.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Bleeding Purist 10-17-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

I mean seriously the best you can do is call me a kid? plzz

It's not about what's best, it's about what's most fitting. You gave yourself away citing "Novemeber Rain' as an example of genius. It's an example of the power of MTV shoving crap down throats repeatedly until resignation is induced and their targets believe it's chocolate.

Recent generations have made GnR into legend, attempting to put them on par with The Doors and Led Zeppelin. It's just pathetic really.

SexxAtraxxion 10-17-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

I mean if Slash and Duff and hell even matt, were the majority of the talent behind the band then shouldnt Velvet Revolver have released albums as good as Guns N' Roses did?

How many musicians can make music as good as in their heyday? None, not even Axl.

And Contraband is a decent record anyway.

Best regards,
the Sexx

Bleeding Purist 10-18-2010 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1019841)
How many musicians can make music as good as in their heyday? None, not even Axl.

And Contraband is a decent record anyway.

Best regards,
the Sexx

I was going to address that as well. I'm not even sure it's about making music as good so much as it is about evolving and being creative. I think most people just get stuck on that first cherry breaker that got a grip on them... which is understandable. It's just always going to be a gamble when you do something completely different you'll always have one set of people dismissing it as crap and another set who "get it" and keep on riding with you.

I really don't want to see a reunion from them. It would be the same deal as KISS.... making the cash grab... not a band putting their chemistry to work and creating. I don't enjoy watching bands where they are on that stage thinking "God, I hate this f*cker." You pick up on that negative energy.

Javier 10-18-2010 05:16 AM

I was always leaning partially to Izzy's songs.....

C'monFeet 10-18-2010 08:37 PM

If you look down the writing credits for Appetite, it's pretty clear that in Musical terms, Izzy had the most influence over the band's early sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appetite_for_destruction

Though to try and single out one member as "the most talented" seems ****ing ridiculous*. They were the right five people, at the right time to create something that really mattered to people and have an impact.

Purist couldn't be more wrong, or more patronising, with his suggestion that GnR's success, and November Rain in particular, was due to MTV hype preventing people from exercising their crtitical faculties. People *loved* that band, it spread through word of mouth and it mattered in a way it's hard to picture today's bands ever achieving.

That it wasn't down to hype is proven by the simple fact that the song has *lasted* and still has power today.

* Clearly Axl

C'monFeet 10-18-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1019887)
I was going to address that as well. I'm not even sure it's about making music as good so much as it is about evolving and being creative.

You were saying VR evolve and are creative or New Guns?

C'monFeet 10-18-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1019887)
I really don't want to see a reunion from them.

General rule of thumb is that if a reunion results in quality new music it's worth while. If it results in greatest hits shows and nothing else, it's shit.

Bleeding Purist 10-18-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 1019951)
You were saying VR evolve and are creative or New Guns?

Good to see you back, but think bigger. It's not just about any one band. It's a general rule.

Bleeding Purist 10-18-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 1019952)
General rule of thumb is that if a reunion results in quality new music it's worth while. If it results in greatest hits shows and nothing else, it's shit.

Precisely as I outlined.

Bleeding Purist 10-18-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 1019950)
Purist couldn't be more wrong, or more patronising, with his suggestion that GnR's success, and November Rain in particular, was due to MTV hype preventing people from exercising their crtitical faculties. People *loved* that band, it spread through word of mouth and it mattered in a way it's hard to picture today's bands ever achieving.
l

In 1991, it wasn't about word of mouth anymore. It was about word of mouth prior to and during the initial release of Appetite. In 1991 they were mainstream and the double album was going to sell because they were the band to follow at the time.

I'm fully aware of what the deal was. I knew of the band before Appetite was even released and was paying attention when Welcome to the Jungle made it's rounds while most ignored it until Sweet Child O Mine took off. Welcome became known by most when it got a second chance from MTV following Sweet Child.

ticos_stick 10-20-2010 09:11 PM

Guns N' Roses are history, Appetite is a classic and their only great album.

I just wish they'd all disappear and stop annoying my ears.

Bleeding Purist 10-21-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1020278)

He speaks the truth.

SexxAtraxxion 10-21-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1020278)

If the UYI are not great albums then most of the Jovi albums are a pile of shit.

Best regards,
the Sexx

Panda 10-21-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1020326)
If the UYI are not great albums then most of the Jovi albums are a pile of shit.

Best regards,
the Sexx

I happen to agree with this statement.

UYI are great albums, and I didn't get sucked into anything, as I wasn't even born when they were released. However, The spagetti incident is 10x more terrible than the worst Bon Jovi album. I still don't consider CD to be Guns N Roses, but an Axl solo record.

life_of_agony 10-22-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1020326)

Best regards,
the Sexx

Both great albums....if condensed into one album it would almost be held in the same regard as "Appetite".
I also reckon "Chinese Democracy" is a classic...it was never going to be able to live up to the hype, but if you forget the hype and listen to the album on it's merits it is brilliant.

steel_horse75 10-26-2010 03:21 PM

I bought the UYI albums on morning of release in 91
At the time I thought they were the dogs dangly bits.
Now nearly 20 years later I think there is a lot of average songs on - but still great albums.

I think they put too many songs on there and could have come up with a 16 song classic double album instead on 2 albums with 30 songs.

Appetite.......I dont need to say anything best debut album of all time.
GNR Lies was also amazing.

Axl originally wanted to make UYI a 30 song 1 album released in a box set broke down into 4 mini albums but the label refused saying it would cost a fortune.

The main difference was the rawness of AFD and the polished UYI.
I thouht the raw sound suited GNR much better - it was as if they had about 6 hours to record AFD. The polished sound was strange as the UYI were bloated and over produced.

† ÀžžÀ † 11-08-2010 11:42 PM

i like both UYI records but as someone said earlier, if cut into one disc it would have rivaled appetite. there are some real gems on them discs but some fillers too.

on another note, i see dj ashba has claimed the band will start recording their next album very soon. wit should see the light of day by 2025.

carson 11-17-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bang A Drum (Post 1020453)
I happen to agree with this statement.

UYI are great albums, and I didn't get sucked into anything, as I wasn't even born when they were released. However, The spagetti incident is 10x more terrible than the worst Bon Jovi album. I still don't consider CD to be Guns N Roses, but an Axl solo record.

disagree, spaghetti incident is better then everything jovi have done for the past ten years (and i quite like that stuff). I dont get why everyone critisizes this album so much, it's just a cover album..released to bide time for the follow up to the illusions which came 15 years late (not intentionally obviously). Most of the songs were recorded with the illusions.