Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Real Life? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=54841)

ezearis 01-30-2013 10:12 PM

Real Life?

I was just wondering. How many versions of this track there're out there?

Until 2004 we had this ones:

1. Real Life (Album Version)
2. Real Life (Radio Mix) - My favourite.
3. Real Life (Instrumental)

Then in 2004 the boxset was released and we got Real Life on it, but I've read that the version on this one was a new remix but I really don't find any differences (the boxset is a bit longer, though). Which are the differences? I'm asking because the differences between the Radio and the Album one are really big. There is other version out there?

Captain_jovi 01-30-2013 10:56 PM

The version on the box set is very different. They took out some backing vocals, added different guitar takes, removed the strings in some parts, used different vocal takes. They really took the shmaltz out of it and made it far rootsier. I'll always prefer the original version.

I can't hear any differences between the radio and album mixes, what do you hear different?

ezearis 01-30-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1103770)
The version on the box set is very different. They took out some backing vocals, added different guitar takes, removed the strings in some parts, used different vocal takes. They really took the shmaltz out of it and made it far rootsier. I'll always prefer the original version.

I can't hear any differences between the radio and album mixes, what do you hear different?

Well, as I can't upload files here I can't show you. But in the files I have the Radio Mix sounds nothing alike the Album Version, and this one (Album) sounds really like the one on the Boxset.
Edit: The choruses (reeeal, reeal) sound better on the Radio Mix, also the Radio Mix ends with the typical turning down of volume while the two others ends with those keyboards, also the Radio Mix sounds "cleaner" in my opinion.

Captain_jovi 01-30-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezearis (Post 1103774)
Well, as I can't upload files here I can't show you. But in the files I have the Radio Mix sounds nothing alike the Album Version, and this one (Album) sounds really like the one on the Boxset.
Edit: The choruses (reeeal, reeal) sound better on the Radio Mix, also the Radio Mix ends with the typical turning down of volume while the two others ends with those keyboards, also the Radio Mix sounds "cleaner" in my opinion.

Is it possible you have some mislabeled files? I just listened to the version from the soundtrack and the radio mix back to back. The radio mix has a bit more piano. The boxset is miles different than the both of them but the soundtrack and radio mix are almost identical.

The instrumental and the box set version ends with the strings. The radio mix and the soundtrack mix do not.

ezearis 01-31-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1103777)
Is it possible you have some mislabeled files? I just listened to the version from the soundtrack and the radio mix back to back. The radio mix has a bit more piano. The boxset is miles different than the both of them but the soundtrack and radio mix are almost identical.

The instrumental and the box set version ends with the strings. The radio mix and the soundtrack mix do not.

Thanks. It's a posibility. I have this ones:

1. Real Life (Radio Mix) - I know this is OK. It ends without strings, has choruses, etc.
2. Real Life - This one is ripped of a single and it sounds like the one in the boxset. Strings at the end, the single came with Keep The Faith (Live) and the instrumental version of Real Life.
3. Real Life - This one is from the boxset.

That's why I asked :confused:

The Northern Cowboy 01-31-2013 01:07 AM

If I recall correctly, the box set version is in a different key from the radio mix, but maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

Captain_jovi 01-31-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Northern Cowboy (Post 1103787)
If I recall correctly, the box set version is in a different key from the radio mix, but maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

It's tuned half a step down, which I always found bizarre.

Simon 01-31-2013 04:42 PM

I also once listened to the radio and album mix back to back and found almost no difference. Same length, same ending, and probably a bit more piano in one (it's been a while). But they are really almost identical.

The first difference came with the instrumental, which is not faded out, and then the boxset version, which is of course completely different, more like a (underproduced) demo version.

Captain_jovi 01-31-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 1103865)
I also once listened to the radio and album mix back to back and found almost no difference. Same length, same ending, and probably a bit more piano in one (it's been a while). But they are really almost identical.

The first difference came with the instrumental, which is not faded out, and then the boxset version, which is of course completely different, more like a (underproduced) demo version.

Agreed. I LOVED the extended string outro.

JoviForever 01-31-2013 07:35 PM

I don't know but they are all rubbish!