Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Happy Birthday - Crush (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70024)

steel_horse75 06-13-2017 05:00 PM

Happy Birthday - Crush

Album is 17 years old today...Kicked off Bon Jovi MK II

Thoughts? Like it? Hate it? Stand the test of time?

For me its the start of "patchy Bon Jovi"

IML kicks in and its followed by the tame Say it isnt so then the awful ballad. Picks up again in the middle and again towards the end.

Some great songs on here including the timeless Its My Life, Next 100 years, One Wild Night but some real crap on here as well like Thank you for loving me, Capt Crash and she's a mystery.

How Neurotica didn't make the standard album Ill never know.

Over to you lot.......views...

Eveline 06-13-2017 05:18 PM

It was the time I became familiar with the band. And that's it. 'It's my life' blasting from loudspeakers all the time it became really annoying but I did like the talkbox even though I didn't know what it was at the time. I just liked the sound of it. And then I remember 'Say it isn't so' and 'Thank you for loving me' although these two weren't as big. And I remember having a pirate copy of the album (I was a teenager and totally broke, so pls excuse me) and listening to it but the band somehow didn't win me over. It took me roughly 15 years to catch up and when I fell for it, I fell BAD! I've been a fan for three years more or less and there's virtually nothing else I listen to on a everyday basis. I don't even listen to the radio which is crazy! And I remember watching the vid and being pretty fascinated with the story in it but the guys did nothing for me. I'm a late bloomer I'd say haha

Actually the only BJ album I could listen track by track without skipping anything is New Jersey. Oh man, I've never thought I'd like cowboy themes that much!

Bounce7800 06-13-2017 05:36 PM

17 years ago. Remember it still vividly. Doing my first year Uni exams in Stratford long before the Olympics made the area less of a dump and bought the CD from the old shopping centre years before Westfield was a thing.

Managed to get to the TFI Friday performance, sadly couldn't get to the CDUK show which I think was the next morning or the TOTP show.

Also remember all the build up, with Say It Isn't So being touted as the lead single for many months beforehand and then It's My Life just appeared out of nowhere. Just like in the These Days period, it was great to have BJ all over the radio - they were played on Capital frequently, unheard of now! As a chart nerd though I was gutted they didn't make No.1 in the singles though.

Also, watching the preview webcast overnight in an Internet Cafe, when Jon was very proud of TYFLM, thinking of it getting an oscar. Not quite Jon!

steel_horse75 06-13-2017 06:25 PM

Im sure the review I read said that this was a fairly heavy album for BJ and IML seemed to suggest it was. But SIIS and TYFLM really kills the flow. TYFLM was the start of a bad batch of ballads. Such a lazy song they even nick the "these 5 words" line from IBTFY. Just a horrid song.
Two Story, Older, Next 100 Years help to pick it up again.
Capt Crash and Shes a mystery are dirge and Save the World could be great but the lack of solo is baffling.
Mystery train aint bad, I got the girl, One Wild Night and I could make a living are great tracks.

7/10 For me.

Walleris 06-13-2017 09:39 PM

It is patchy on a song-by-song basis, but so is nearly every Bon Jovi album, even the better ones - SWW, KTF both have their share of fillers. The reason why I (and many others here) rank TD and NJ so highly is because their lack of misses, but even they have 99 In The Shade and If That's What It Takes.

Speaking of Crush, I think that much like Bounce it suffers from their identity crisis - Jon and others were probably not 100% sure what was their new desired Bon Jovi sound and if you remove vocals from that album you'd think there are like 3-4 different bands on that record. Say what you want about HAND or LH, they don't have that problem - both very consistent records.

I still think IML, TYFLM, MT, JO, CCATBQFM, and OWN are old good/great songs. Rest, not so much.

steel_horse75 06-14-2017 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1225213)
Say what you want about HAND or LH, they don't have that problem - both very consistent records.

Yep. Costistantly crap

Me and you are at total different ends of the Bon jovi spectrum.
99 in shade and If that's what it takes fillers?

Plus you like CCATBQFM & TYFLM ??? How???

Becky 06-14-2017 01:27 AM

TYFLM was not an original song in a movie, so it would never have been nominated for an Oscar. I'm sure Jon knows that since he has been nominated for an Oscar before. I don't believe he ever said it would be an Oscar worthy song.

Mystery Train remains one of my favorite songs. I like most of Crush. As usual, I think that the weaker songs are ballads. Thank You gets no love from me. Not too fond of Save the World either. I love Say It Isn't So and Just Older.

bonjovi90 06-14-2017 01:39 AM

As many stated before - it's very patchy. Probably the most inconsistend record together with Keep The Faith for me. When it's good, it's really good! But when it's weak, the tracks don't do anything for me. It's a very unsteady album, many songs seem so unconnected to each other. And I just can't stand Thank You For Loving Me, Captain Crash and Save The World. The others get a pass and I actually like the mellow feel of She's A Mystery (probably the only one on here), but the album has about three or four standout tracks to me and then it drops off significantly. Keep The Faith at least had about 8 really good ones.

That being said - it's also the album where I can't understand why so many of the brilliant demos and B-sides didn't make it. Neurotica, Temptation, Stay - they could've made for a killer record!

DryCounty 06-14-2017 02:45 AM

The last album that actually feels like a band album to me. You can hear the band perform as a unit and the sound feels quite "live", and though Bounce also has that feel in parts it's not the same as Crush. The band clearly knew they had to follow the trends of the times but I honestly feel that the songs were crafted because the band wanted to do this kind of music, not becaus they needed to. In that sense it's one of the most important album in their career. They got the huge hit, they delivered an album that proved that Bon Jovi still was relevant and wasn't living in the past.

I love Crush. Songs like Say It Isn't So, Just Older, Two Story Town, Mystery Train are up their in the top for me. The one song I never got into was Next 100 Years. Can't really say why, for me it feels like they wanted to create this huge number with orchestral elements, the huge outro but it falls flat and from the third chorus and forward it's just messy.

The Crush Tour DVD was what got me into Bon Jovi. I must have watched it more than a hundred times. The Crush songs sounded great in a live setting, and I remember even then being impressed with how good Bon Jovi's new material stood up against the older ones.

Rdkopper 06-14-2017 04:03 AM

In America, the album didn't live up to the hype of IML and probably one of the reasons why Bounce did so poorly... Crush failed to produce a second successful single... If Thank You had an 80's vocal and production, it might have had potential but instead the song falls flat and lacks that raw passion...

As a fan I knew it was different and not in a good way... I had to convince myself to like it... it's got some nice moments like Save The World which was the sequel to Always and I also like the music in Next 100 years which is Dry Country part 2... but other than that, it doesn't move me like the prior releases did...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk