Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Happy birthday, Destination Anywhere: 20 years (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70028)

Becky 06-18-2017 03:54 AM

Happy birthday, Destination Anywhere: 20 years

June 17, 1997. Has it really been 20 years? Albums always came out on Tuesday then and it was the day after my birthday. I was in love with this album from the start and still listen to it. Jon was all over VH-1 that summer. I recorded it daily to save the clips.

DestinationJovi 06-18-2017 05:11 AM

Stellar album.

20 years? Sheesh.

steel_horse75 06-18-2017 08:40 AM

Happy birthday, Destination Anywhere: 20 years

Didn't think I'd like it because I really didn't like (and still don't) lead single Midnight in Chelsea.

Good album in places. Love title track, August 7th and it's just me. Rest I'm not overly fussed about

Dave 1986 06-18-2017 10:53 PM

Great album. Wasn't into Bon Jovi (or any music really) back in 1997 so I wasn't "there" to appreciate it. Didn't hear the album until 2002 but when I did I was obsessed with that whole era and for some reason was really desperate to see the Film, which I eventually found on VHS in 2003. Probably the last truly great, honest music from any member of the band (I'm not all that fussed on Richie's Undiscovered Soul. It's mad to think that the year 1997 is 20 years ago now.

bonjovi90 06-19-2017 12:57 AM

Heard the album for the first time about 10 years ago and was instantly hooked. I absolutely love to put it on if I have long night drives ahead of me (especially It's Just Me and Little City) or in the fall. Just fits that mood so well.

Rdkopper 06-19-2017 03:03 AM

This is an album I learned to appreciate more later on... I was hoping to hear Blaze Of Glory Part 2 and was a little taken back by the first few listens... All those added effects and lower vocals were not something I was used to hearing by JBJ. I think the album was ahead of it's time and might have had greater U.S. success a few years later.

The live performances helped a lot too... They became more rock songs and less pop-ish. Jon also performed a lot of those songs acoustically too which also gave them another life...

Every Word was the song I gravitated more towards because it was the most Bon Jovi esq song on the album. I hope we get a Special Edition one day with some unreleased tracks from the era.

steel_horse75 06-19-2017 04:42 PM

Its just me is the best song

Thinny 06-19-2017 05:51 PM

I was the same,. hated Midnight In Chelsea and still do, but I love the album as a whole, I would probably also agree about It's Just Me.

I think this was the last album of really great consistent song writing from Jon. Not afraid to experiment a little, and was still writing great lyrics, something that I feel was particularly missing for many years following this.

DryCounty 06-19-2017 07:51 PM

Great album but will never get why Midnight In Chelsea was the lead single. Not that I hate it but in my book there are so many better tracks with much more hit potential.

Gabriel Shoes 06-19-2017 07:54 PM

My favorite album.

I get why a lot of people hate it and I respect this reason, still, what everybody seems to agree it's that it is very different from Jon's past Works. In my oppinion it's very creative sound wise and the lyrics are very good written with some deep shit on it (like Little City and It's Just Me).