Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Goo Goo Dolls - Magnetic - May 7th (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55346)

samboraisgodUK 04-04-2013 12:40 PM

Goo Goo Dolls - Magnetic - May 7th

So the Goo Goo Dolls have a new album coming out next month. I know a few people here will have heard the first single, Rebel Beat.

They played a show last night (with a few new songs on the set):

Worth a watch, I think this album is shaping up great, Something For The Rest Of Us was pretty poor, these new songs sound a lot better.

Gabriel Shoes 04-04-2013 09:22 PM

What can I say? I've been a GGD fan since 2003, this new album sounds poppy and totally different than anything released by them. Gotta be honest, loved the new tunes... it's clearly a step in a new direction (I guess we'll see by the end of the album cycle if it's a right one), although they seemed a bit stale over the years.

Something For The Rest Of Us bombed in the US, and do you know why? Because the same cause as These Days. The american audience in general (not saying everybody) likes happy and and sometimes silly stuff, like It's My Life and whatever. That's why I think this new album will work for them, Johnny is a great songwriter and putting together this with new vibe (and John Shanks) they can achieve commercial success again (wich IMO it's something they REALLY need right now).

BTW pre ordered the new album on iTunes.

danfan 04-04-2013 09:26 PM

I liked Something For The Rest Of Us. The biggest mystery to me is why The Best Of Me was left off for the Hawaii Five-O soundtrack. That's the bands best song in at least 10 years.

Gabriel Shoes 04-04-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119805)
I liked Something For The Rest Of Us. The biggest mystery to me is why The Best Of Me was left off for the Hawaii Five-O soundtrack. That's the bands best song in at least 10 years.

Couldn't agree more, really like this one.

samboraisgodUK 04-05-2013 01:13 PM

Keep The Car Running is catchy as hell.

JoviForever 04-05-2013 07:53 PM

If Shanks is involved I'm not holding my breath!

Spidey5150 04-06-2013 09:54 PM

Been a huge fan of the Goo Goo Dolls for years. Being from Buffalo, w/e that national awareness of the band is out local radio makes sure we don't forget about them. I absolutely love Rebel Beat, it's catchy as hell. Hopefully it can help put them back in the spotlight.

yomamasofat 04-08-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1119805)
The biggest mystery to me is why The Best Of Me was left off for the Hawaii Five-O soundtrack. That's the bands best song in at least 10 years.

This. That song is killer.

danfan 04-08-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1119935)
Keep The Car Running is catchy as hell.

Yeah, this sounds like the best of the new ones.

samboraisgodUK 05-15-2013 11:27 AM

The 1:30 snippets are up on iTunes now. It sounds fantastic, shaping up to be their best album to me. The others are way too inconsistent.

Most of the songs sound really catchy, this is how pop rock should be done. Great lyrics, good production for the most part and interesting flourishes (some songs have a fair amount of mandolin in). Can't wait for this.

Gabriel Shoes 05-16-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1129469)
The 1:30 snippets are up on iTunes now. It sounds fantastic, shaping up to be their best album to me. The others are way too inconsistent.

Most of the songs sound really catchy, this is how pop rock should be done. Great lyrics, good production for the most part and interesting flourishes (some songs have a fair amount of mandolin in). Can't wait for this.

I'm enjoying this new GGD's vibe.

danfan 05-16-2013 08:11 PM

I'm liking it, but I like everything they do.

I don't anything will ever top Superstar Car Wash for me though.

Esther 05-16-2013 10:03 PM

I got to see them when they opened for BJ many years ago, now I get to see them in their co headline show with Matchbox Twenty. I think it's going to be a great show. I need to catch up on their tunes, for the show in July.

samboraisgodUK 05-16-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1129884)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gk9SM6xekU

I'm enjoying this new GGD's vibe.

Yeah it's the same except the snippets on iTunes are a lot longer is all :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esther (Post 1129933)
I got to see them when they opened for BJ many years ago, now I get to see them in their co headline show with Matchbox Twenty. I think it's going to be a great show. I need to catch up on their tunes, for the show in July.

I saw MB20 recently and GGD a few years ago and both were fantastic, you'll have a great time. I just hope they both play full sets for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1129899)
I'm liking it, but I like everything they do.

I don't anything will ever top Superstar Car Wash for me though.

I just love how fantastically catchy this new stuff is whilst retaining a real classic Goo Goo Dolls feel about it. The lyrics are great but the music is just brilliant, I'm loving the little touches. The album's not even out for three weeks and I still have most of the songs stuck in my head all day.

Gabriel Shoes 05-17-2013 03:57 AM

How big are they in the UK?

samboraisgodUK 05-17-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1130029)
How big are they in the UK?

Not very. Most people would recognise 'Iris' if it came on the radio or TV, whether they'd be able to say it was a Goo Goo Dolls song is another matter. I doubt many would manage to name another song. When they last toured here they played small venues (around 2,500 capacity). About on a par with Matchbox Twenty and Train I'd say (although Train have had a huge boost in the UK with the last two albums).

Gabriel Shoes 05-20-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1130062)
Not very. Most people would recognise 'Iris' if it came on the radio or TV, whether they'd be able to say it was a Goo Goo Dolls song is another matter. I doubt many would manage to name another song. When they last toured here they played small venues (around 2,500 capacity). About on a par with Matchbox Twenty and Train I'd say (although Train have had a huge boost in the UK with the last two albums).

I'm glad to know that they're on par with MB20, wich is considered a successful touring band, right? I think that's a good thing, I remember John saying that on the Gutterflower tour they did a gig in the UK and only 300 people came up for the show and since then they're working harder to promote the band in the Europe.

samboraisgodUK 05-20-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1130957)
I'm glad to know that they're on par with MB20, wich is considered a successful touring band, right? I think that's a good thing, I remember John saying that on the Gutterflower tour they did a gig in the UK and only 300 people came up for the show and since then they're working harder to promote the band in the Europe.

Well both bands would get reasonable crowds across the UK so yes I'd say so. It'd be much more of a die hard crowd though, you wouldn't get many casuals going along just because they've heard of them.

mike1990 05-21-2013 05:15 AM

I"m loving this. I wasn't a big fan of SFTROU other than a few songs, but this sounds more like the Goos. I dont even have to worry about buying a copy, I won one of the 90210 contest prizes they gave away so I get the cd for nothing :D But I'm with whoever said the songs are stuck in their head, they are mine too.

Favorites so far, Slow it Down, Caught in the Storm, More of You. I've never been a big fan of the Robbie vocals songs, however the two he has, are great musically. His voice just puts me off.

samboraisgodUK 05-21-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1990 (Post 1131268)
I"m loving this. I wasn't a big fan of SFTROU other than a few songs, but this sounds more like the Goos. I dont even have to worry about buying a copy, I won one of the 90210 contest prizes they gave away so I get the cd for nothing :D But I'm with whoever said the songs are stuck in their head, they are mine too.

Favorites so far, Slow it Down, Caught in the Storm, More of You. I've never been a big fan of the Robbie vocals songs, however the two he has, are great musically. His voice just puts me off.

Oh that's good, will you get it on the release date or maybe a little before?

They're constantly stuck in my head, favourites for me are Slow it Down, Caught in the Storm, Last Hot Night and Keep the Car Running (although this had more power live). Saying that every song is shaping up to be great, it just seems so much more consistent than anything they've done since Dizzy Up The Girl. I can't listen to Gutterflower, Let Love In or Something for the Rest of Us in their entirety in one go because I just feel like half the songs are filler. Magnetic sounds a different ball game to me though.

It's funny you mention Robby's voice, I was never overkeen on it until I heard "Now I Hear" from the last album, that was one of my favourite songs from it.

Edit: woo 2000th post. And not in a Bon Jovi thread haha.

mike1990 05-21-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1131297)
Oh that's good, will you get it on the release date or maybe a little before?

They're constantly stuck in my head, favourites for me are Slow it Down, Caught in the Storm, Last Hot Night and Keep the Car Running (although this had more power live). Saying that every song is shaping up to be great, it just seems so much more consistent than anything they've done since Dizzy Up The Girl. I can't listen to Gutterflower, Let Love In or Something for the Rest of Us in their entirety in one go because I just feel like half the songs are filler. Magnetic sounds a different ball game to me though.

It's funny you mention Robby's voice, I was never overkeen on it until I heard "Now I Hear" from the last album, that was one of my favourite songs from it.

Edit: woo 2000th post. And not in a Bon Jovi thread haha.

Possibly. I ordered the Volume 2 greatest hits from the label and got it a day early. So I may possibly get it on the Monday before.

It does seem very consistent. I love Gutterflower, but there are just some songs I cannot listen to at all. I never was a bit fan of Let Love In, other than a few songs. Magnetic sounds like it may be their best overall album sinec Dizzy up the Girl. Although, it'll be hard to pass up Superstar CarWash. I love the record.

You know, Now I hear is really the only song of his I actually like. Like I said the music on his songs are excellent. Maybe I should keep a bigger open mind when listening to his two on Magnetic. This is shaping up to Blow Something for the Rest of Us and Let Love In out of the water and off the planet.

Gabriel Shoes 05-28-2013 03:16 PM

It's not that i dislike Let Love In, it has some gems in songwriting IMO, but sometimes sounds too soft, too lazy. Dizzy is their masterpiece but Gutterflower is my favourite.

Superstar is just... awesome.

mike1990 05-28-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1134489)
It's not that i dislike Let Love In, it has some gems in songwriting IMO, but sometimes sounds too soft, too lazy. Dizzy is their masterpiece but Gutterflower is my favourite.

Superstar is just... awesome.

I'm with you. Let Love In has some good songwriting, its just too mellow and lazy like you said. Gutterflower is probably my favorite as well, and Superstar is just a gem. I like it more then Dizzy

Gabriel Shoes 05-29-2013 03:46 AM

I wonder what would happened If superstar were released after Dizzy... I really like the album. In 2009 I was in Los Angeles and I purchased the album, I couldn't believe i have it because in brazil the Goos's old catalog are so rare!

Peterson 05-29-2013 03:43 PM

Just got tickets to see them in Glasgow in October 😃😃

samboraisgodUK 05-29-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterson (Post 1134827)
Just got tickets to see them in Glasgow in October 😃😃

I thought they weren't on sale until Friday?! Can you send me a link?

Peterson 05-29-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1134838)
I thought they weren't on sale until Friday?! Can you send me a link?

Got them through O2 priority. Will try send link later, not sure if ill be able to tho...

samboraisgodUK 05-29-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterson (Post 1134857)
Got them through O2 priority. Will try send link later, not sure if ill be able to tho...

Ah I see, I went down all my usual pre-sale routes but came up dry - not on 02 though. I doubt they'll sell out anyway.

mike1990 05-29-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1134740)
I wonder what would happened If superstar were released after Dizzy... I really like the album. In 2009 I was in Los Angeles and I purchased the album, I couldn't believe i have it because in brazil the Goos's old catalog are so rare!

I can never find any of their albums anywhere it doesn't seem like. Walmart has Dizzy and Let Love In along with Something For the Rest of Us, Best Buy has A Boy Named Goo, but Superstar I have never seen anywhere in any store I've ever been to. I'm hoping I'll go to the local used vinyl store and find it on vinyl, won't happen, but I can hope ha

Peterson 05-29-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1134877)
Ah I see, I went down all my usual pre-sale routes but came up dry - not on 02 though. I doubt they'll sell out anyway.

Yeah, can't figure out how to get the link to it anyway lol. Did it all on my phone earlier.

Spidey5150 05-29-2013 07:34 PM

I'd say Boy Named Goo is my favorite album of theirs. My favorite song though is Big Machine. So real, so raw. Love it. Anyways, they finally just announced a date in their hometown Buffalo (also my hometown) which has me pleased but unfortunately it's not part of their joint venture with MB20. That's a great double bill that i'll be missing out on.

Gabriel Shoes 05-30-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1990 (Post 1134882)
I can never find any of their albums anywhere it doesn't seem like. Walmart has Dizzy and Let Love In along with Something For the Rest of Us, Best Buy has A Boy Named Goo, but Superstar I have never seen anywhere in any store I've ever been to. I'm hoping I'll go to the local used vinyl store and find it on vinyl, won't happen, but I can hope ha

I found it in a Barnes & Noble in Santa Monica Promenade back that time, if there's one near were you live it might be a good idea to check the store.

samboraisgodUK 05-30-2013 02:27 PM

Full audio of a new song, Bulletproof Angel.

Love the production on this, really ethereal quality to the music.

mike1990 05-30-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes (Post 1134982)
I found it in a Barnes & Noble in Santa Monica Promenade back that time, if there's one near were you live it might be a good idea to check the store.

Barnes & Noble. Hm, I'll have to check next time I'm there.

In case anyone didn't know, starting on June 4th, you can go to www.iheartradio.com and there will be a full album preview. I'm not sure if it's one song per day, or if its played randomly on a station affiliated with iheartradio or if you can listen to the entire album starting the 4th. The details weren't too well, detailed.

samboraisgodUK 05-30-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1990 (Post 1135070)
In case anyone didn't know, starting on June 4th, you can go to www.iheartradio.com and there will be a full album preview. I'm not sure if it's one song per day, or if its played randomly on a station affiliated with iheartradio or if you can listen to the entire album starting the 4th. The details weren't too well, detailed.

Yeah it wasn't the most detailed post. Sounds exciting though. Hopefully it'll a full album stream, so many bands are doing that now. Their promo has been really good so far (much better than Bon Jovi's) and this would be a great way to crown it. It's a week before the US release date too. In any case, the Australian release date is the 7th June, which is the 6th in the most of the world. It'll probably leak before then too as Australian music shops get delivery of the album so we won't have too long to wait.

mike1990 05-30-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1135077)
Yeah it wasn't the most detailed post. Sounds exciting though. Hopefully it'll a full album stream, so many bands are doing that now. Their promo has been really good so far (much better than Bon Jovi's) and this would be a great way to crown it. It's a week before the US release date too. In any case, the Australian release date is the 7th June, which is the 6th in the most of the world. It'll probably leak before then too as Australian music shops get delivery of the album so we won't have too long to wait.

The promotion is much much better than Bon Jovi's. I remember Matchbox Twenty did an iTunes stream of their last album but it was like the day before. A whole week before, I think, is much better. I know when Something for the Rest of Us was released , it was out the Friday/Thursday before the US release date and it didn't leak, or I didn't find it, until the next Monday, so basically one day early. But I too am hoping the preview on iheartradio is a full album stream

Also, if you haven't already, Bulletproofangel is up on youtube from the band streaming. Full song.

samboraisgodUK 05-30-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1990 (Post 1135112)
The promotion is much much better than Bon Jovi's. I remember Matchbox Twenty did an iTunes stream of their last album but it was like the day before. A whole week before, I think, is much better. I know when Something for the Rest of Us was released , it was out the Friday/Thursday before the US release date and it didn't leak, or I didn't find it, until the next Monday, so basically one day early. But I too am hoping the preview on iheartradio is a full album stream

Also, if you haven't already, Bulletproofangel is up on youtube from the band streaming. Full song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWI0aD4OqLM

Yeah I remember that. It was a little while before I think, but maybe only a few days. I was in Singapore at the time anyway so I may well be confusing the release date with buying the album when I got home. I hope it's the full stream. I imagine it'll either be that or they'll premiere one song every day.

Yeah I posted that earlier but everyone ignored me :p

mike1990 05-31-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samboraisgodUK (Post 1135136)
Yeah I remember that. It was a little while before I think, but maybe only a few days. I was in Singapore at the time anyway so I may well be confusing the release date with buying the album when I got home. I hope it's the full stream. I imagine it'll either be that or they'll premiere one song every day.

Yeah I posted that earlier but everyone ignored me :p

In reality, full album preview can mean either a full stream, or a song a day. It did say stay tuned for more details too so maybe we'll know a for sure this weekend.

samboraisgodUK 05-31-2013 02:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WS-SpGV2rUw

Nice live version of Come to Me. It's really grown on me this one. Some lovely mandolin work (must be playback in this) and great backing vocals (especially towards the end) really make this song for me. Lovely lyrics, nice music. Good song.

samboraisgodUK 05-31-2013 03:24 PM

Well it's obviously out somewhere:
http://www.melodicrock.com/phorum52/...911#msg-944911