Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Box Set Revisited (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70042)

Rdkopper 07-03-2017 04:36 PM

I updated the main page and broke out DA/Sex Sells/Crush

There are still a few in red that need additional clarification so please comment so I can update with comments....

jazzsta 07-03-2017 08:30 PM

why aren't you dead has a lot of similarities with I'll sleep when I'm dead. The choruses are almost same, no? BJ have had the tendency to write similar songs during a period, evolve them in parallel and finally chose one to be at the album. So to me it doesn't make much sense to be from 1994.

Rdkopper 07-03-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsta (Post 1225763)
why aren't you dead has a lot of similarities with I'll sleep when I'm dead. The choruses are almost same, no? BJ have had the tendency to write similar songs during a period, evolve them in parallel and finally chose one to be at the album. So to me it doesn't make much sense to be from 1994.

Good point...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

rokuli 07-03-2017 10:37 PM

GREAT TOPIC!

BTW: We NEED more 7800 demos/outtakes/whatever....!

Nige 07-03-2017 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokuli (Post 1225765)
GREAT TOPIC!

BTW: We NEED more 7800 demos/outtakes/whatever....!

Apparently there aren't any more due to the quick turnaround of the album. I'd assume there are demo and/or pre-production versions of the released tracks but nothing else.

rokuli 07-03-2017 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsta (Post 1225763)

Why aren't you Dead verse is a total Aerosmith-Dude Looks Like a Lady rip-off which I guess they realized themselves....

bonjovi90 07-04-2017 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1225761)
Here is my theory on the 1994 songs....

After / while Jon was writing for a few Movies, he starting writing for what he though was going to be the next album Open All Night... The Record Company wanted a greatest hits so they released Crossroads instead of the new album...

Crossroads was huge because of Always which probably exceeded everyone's expectations... Because of the success of Always and the time in between, they decided to change direction and write These Days.... So all the below songs were never really intended for These Days (except for Lonely At The Top) and that's why they all sound so different...

Movies:
Gotta Have a Reason 1993 - Movie The Three Musketeers
Good Guys Don't Always Wear White 1994 - Movie The Cowboy Way

1. Open All Night 1994 - Working Title before These Days
2. Letter to a Friend 1994 - Jon mentioned in an interview with Kerrang in 1994 on the set of the Good Guys video shoot.
3. Nobody's Hero 1994 - Jon mentioned in an interview with Kerrang in 1994 on the set of the Good Guys video shoot.
4. Flesh and Bone 1994
5. I Just Want To Be Your Man 1994

Are The Fire Inside and Why Aren't You Dead part of this?

Not a bad theory, but it probably was a little different. In the book "Bon Jovi - In Their Own Words" there's an interview where Jon or Richie told that Crossroad was only released because they took so long to get These Days done. The band wasn't too pleased with the decision at first, but the company executives didn't want to take the risk of an expanded time span like they had between New Jersey and Keep The Faith, so the finally agreed to the idea.
In a different interview Jon stated they had trashed all the first recordings, not because the songs weren't there, but due to him not liking the sound of the instruments. This was what ultimately lead to the huge delay which led to Crossroad.
Where you probably have a point is when it comes to the song choice for the album. I think they really pushed for more ballads being on there after Always had become such a success.

bonjovi90 07-04-2017 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1225766)
Apparently there aren't any more due to the quick turnaround of the album. I'd assume there are demo and/or pre-production versions of the released tracks but nothing else.

Agreed. There was a song called Danger Zone which made have been left off (since I can't conclude from the title along what it could've morphed into) and another one called Afraid of the Night. Jon had mentioned both in a TV interview when they just had started with the writing for the album. The latter most likely turned into The Hardest Part Is The Night.

From 6:19 onwards:

Xavi 07-04-2017 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1225752)
Ok, found the thread containing the images:

https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...849/page3.html

That confirms Sympathy, Radio Saved My Life Tonight, Billie, Drive, Miss 4th of July, Love Is Just Another 4 Letter Word, and Every Beat Of My Heart for KTF (at least being demoed during the KTF sessions).

But what are All Wound Up and Skin Deep? Never heard of them...

I guess "Water into wine" is the electric version of Bitter Wine
I didnt know it,I always thought BW was from TDays era,not from KTF's one.
It has sense cause the equality to Little Help From My Friends that was usually played those years.

Rdkopper 07-04-2017 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1225766)

Once this thread is done... I want to make a collected thread that lists any and all titles that could possibly be unheard songs... We really just need to go back to the archives here but I want to make one consolidated post for everything.... through social media, let's get it to Obie and say "Get It Done"!!!

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk