Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Jeff Beck! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=25289)

Davesta 05-19-2004 12:52 AM

Jeff Beck!

After seeing his name mentioned in the general section, I thought I'd start a thread over here. For those of you who don't know who he is, he played the solo on Blaze of Glory, and he's definitely one of the best guitarists who's ever lived, and arguably the most inventive!

Any fans here?

*ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº* 05-19-2004 01:47 AM

I already wanted to say this in the other thread, now I do here:

Jeff Beck played the solos in ALL songs except Blood Money, You Really Got Me Now and Santa Fe (cause they have none), plus he played lead guitar on Justice In The Barrel and guitars on Dyin' Ain't Much Of A Livin'.

Rob 05-19-2004 01:54 AM

I agree with everything you've said apart from the "most inventive" thing. I read somewhere that he can play anything but struggles to compose his own stuff. Maybe this is true, or maybe it isn't, not 100% sure either way.

He definately is one of the best guitarists in the world. Blaze of Glory was nowhere near his best work. You only have to listen to some of the Yardbirds early songs, or Jon Mayall and the Blues Breakers when Beck played with them to realise that he is really something special. I have a 3 disc set, called "Beckology" which features some of this stuff.

He hasn't been heard of by many people because he made most of his money by playing session music for people like JBJ (BoG), or Michael Jackson (Billy Jean, for example). However he is known as the guitarists guitarist, which means he is very highly regarded by his peers, such as Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and other greats. He would make my top five I think.

letitrock 05-19-2004 02:21 AM

Quote:

I read somewhere that he can play anything but struggles to compose his own stuff. Maybe this is true, or maybe it isn't, not 100% sure either way.
From what I've heard I can definitely say he writes amazing solo stuff. Perhaps what you read meant "struggles" in terms of struggling to satisfy himself, because some of his compositions are extremely intricate and complex... a la Zappa, Vai in complexity.

Laura and I have tickets to see him in Manchester next month! Should be good. Get to see Beck, Vai, Satriani, Sheehan, Fripp all in 3 days...

That's not going to be good for my morale as a guitarist! :(

Davesta 05-19-2004 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
I agree with everything you've said apart from the "most inventive" thing. I read somewhere that he can play anything but struggles to compose his own stuff. Maybe this is true, or maybe it isn't, not 100% sure either way.

Trust me, this is entirely not true! Go out and buy one of his last 3 albums - Who Else, You had it coming or Jeff - and you'll see that he has no trouble composing anything!

I may be going to see him play in Bristol after my exams finish if I get time. It'd be awesome to see him live! That's a nice list of guitarists you're seeing there Tom - ya lucky b*stard :D

Mike McRock 05-19-2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
I read somewhere that he can play anything but struggles to compose his own stuff. Maybe this is true, or maybe it isn't, not 100% sure either way.

whoever wrote that has never heard his music!

The guy is a genious. I suggest the guy who wrote that listens to Guitar shop and then say the guy can't compose.

Beck's composing almost goes into piss taking terretory a lot. He writes a lot of techno, but almost as if to say 'this is the way it should be done'. He truely is a genious.

Not only is Jeff Beck plalying a tour of England, but he's recruited one of the best keboard players/musicians around to play with him.... only Jan ****in Hammer!!!!!! It's going to be an amazing show.

Also for anybody who's not really heard Jeff Beck, his work with Jon is probably some of his worst... or at least compared to his solo stuff.

Rob 05-20-2004 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McRock
Also for anybody who's not really heard Jeff Beck, his work with Jon is probably some of his worst... or at least compared to his solo stuff.

Yeah I agree. Certainly the stuff he plays on Blaze isn't amazing. It's good though. He's in the Miracle video. He is the guy with the longish dark hair that plays the solo.

Mike McRock 05-20-2004 12:50 PM

Also he's uses the voice box thing better than anybody I've heard! People go on about Frampton with that but anything he can do with it Beck can do bigger and better...

If you're thinking of going to the shows, and want a cd that'll blow your mind buy Beck live with the Jan Hammer group. a) because it's probably the closest thing to what he'll do this time, b) because it's absolutely outrageous! c) because he shows how well he can use the voice box...

Rob there's a tune on the Beckology called Black Cat Mo right? Amazing!

Rob 05-21-2004 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McRock
Also he's uses the voice box thing better than anybody I've heard! People go on about Frampton with that but anything he can do with it Beck can do bigger and better...

If you're thinking of going to the shows, and want a cd that'll blow your mind buy Beck live with the Jan Hammer group. a) because it's probably the closest thing to what he'll do this time, b) because it's absolutely outrageous! c) because he shows how well he can use the voice box...

Rob there's a tune on the Beckology called Black Cat Mo right? Amazing!

Black Cat Moan it's called, and it's a blues song about a cat believe it or not. It's a great song and that particular version is live. It might be Black Cat Moan, or BBA Boogie where Jeff does a talkbox intro. I like it when Jeff is miming phrases over the voice box like, "You got to get your shit together!" and silly stuff like that. I ain't listened to Beckology for a while, its a good collection and I might stick it on tommorow.

Jim Bon Jovi 05-21-2004 02:51 AM

Jim bon jovi's useless trivia: eric clapton, jeff beck and jimmy page all grew up withing 20 miles of each other