Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Self Titled & 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=50048)

TBoy 01-21-2010 12:48 AM

I allso love Tokyo Road. I had a toy, a little plastic elephant that could play that intro from the song, ahahah... that was sick. :D I think I could find that toy, I saved it somwhere.

Simon 01-21-2010 12:55 AM

I never liked the debut album that much. It's my least favourite of all, don't know why. It has some cool tracks though, and the songs kicked ass live. That goes for Fahrenheit as well. Today they just wouldn't fit into the setlists, I'm OK with them resting. The only song that I think could work (besides "Runaway") would be "Tokyo Road", I'd really like to hear that one live!

My favourite tracks:

BON JOVI:
Runaway (timeless)
Shot Through The Heart (awesome)
Breakout (live version from Tokyo 1985 is amazing) / Roulette

Actually all of the live versions kicked ass. Something of the album version bothers me, don't know what though.

FAHRENHEIT:
Tokyo Road (monster song, especially the version from Rio 1990)
Only Lonely (great lyrics, great melody)
King Of The Mountain (just because noone likes it ;-))

I always liked the poduction and the songs. You can feel the passion of the band, and how they believed it would be full of hit singles, while it's obvious they were still struggling to find their own unique sound. Really charming and full of good ideas.

Simon 01-21-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 966345)
Seriously, does no one except me like To The Fire?

I love it!

The only song on Fahrenheit I don't like so much is "Secret Dreams", but it kinda grew on me.

Rob 01-21-2010 01:17 AM

I like them both because they are raw and have a lot of energy. I do think certain songs on them are a little cheesy compared to the stuff they wrote in the latter 80s/early 90s but musically a lot of the songs are quite strong. I probably prefer the first album out the two as I think songs such as Roulette, Runaway, Get Ready, Shot Through The Heart and Love Lies are all good pop/rock songs. 7800 has always been kinda weak for me, with the exception of Tokyo Road, Price of Love and In and Out Of Love. King of The Mountain is shite, and I ain't a big fan of Always Run To You and To The Fire. I think they did right getting Desmond Child in to help them write Slippery.

Savvi 01-21-2010 03:46 AM

Ive always liked 7800. Only Lonely, King of the Mountain, Hardest Part is the Night and of course Always Run to You.

The debut I dont like as much but it still has some awesome tracks. Roulette is my favourite, followed by Love Lies and Get Ready.

crimson_05 01-21-2010 07:43 AM

I like 7800 because of Richie's guitar work. No other album sounds like it. Prehaps he was just a young guitarist trying to show off his skills, but he reels off notes faster than he ever did after on that album.

steel_horse75 01-21-2010 10:32 AM

Love the first two albums.

7800 for me edges it although To the Fire and King of the mountain are poor and could be the same song!
Other than that love all the tracks on 7800 especially Secret Dreams & The Price Of Love

† ĀžžĀ † 01-21-2010 01:37 PM

how can anyone not like hardest part is the night? that is pure class. and indeed there are many gems on the first two records. i think the debut is slightly better myself though.

Sami 01-21-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 966361)
I like them both because they are raw and have a lot of energy. I do think certain songs on them are a little cheesy compared to the stuff they wrote in the latter 80s/early 90s but musically a lot of the songs are quite strong. I probably prefer the first album out the two as I think songs such as Roulette, Runaway, Get Ready, Shot Through The Heart and Love Lies are all good pop/rock songs. 7800 has always been kinda weak for me, with the exception of Tokyo Road, Price of Love and In and Out Of Love. King of The Mountain is shite, and I ain't a big fan of Always Run To You and To The Fire. I think they did right getting Desmond Child in to help them write Slippery.

Yes I think hiring DC was one of the defining moments when it comes to Bon Jovi breaking into superstardom. The athmospheric and artistic difference between Fahrenheit and SWW is very dramatic, itīs hard to believe the same band wrote those songs just about a year later. You put those 3 songwriters together and itīs often been pure magic.

Still, I love Fahrenheit. In the eighties, at a time, it was my favorite Bon Jovi album. There are some obvious fillers and it is evident those 10 songs were the only ones they actually had (like Jon has more recently stated). But speaking of pure hard rock, it doesnīt get better than In & Out Of Love. The chorus may be Heavenīs On Fire recycled but this song kicks ass like no other song -ever.

The sadness and melancholy on Only Lonely and Price of Love are quite unique, too. At that time, the characteristic Bon Jovi optimism was yet to come. Nowadays, they donīt write songs like that anymore.

mrleaf 01-21-2010 03:48 PM

I have to say Farenheit edges it but a great album can be created from taking some fron debut and some from 7800,one thing that does sound cool is that In and out of love wouldnt feel out of place on modern radio-with its synth hooks and sound.
Silent night is a true classic in my mind