Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jon Bon Jovi and the songs he cleverly stole from others. (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=54006)

Thinny 08-01-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1274899)
I love that song by The Outfield and sorry, I just don't see it.

Nope, not hearing it at all either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1274899)
The intro to My Champion by Alter Bridge completely rips off the intro to SAOA though.

Slight co-incidence more than I rip off I expect. I really can't see anyone in AB being aware of SAOA

James_86 08-01-2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1274900)
Nope, not hearing it at all either.

Slight co-incidence more than I rip off I expect. I really can't see anyone in AB being aware of SAOA

If it's a coincidence, I'd say it's a pretty big one.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

blazeofglory 08-01-2021 01:40 PM

The chorus melody from Starting All Over Again is super similar to the verse melody from Your Love - the rhythm and length of the notes is a bit different, but the melody line is almost the same.

If you play both melodies on the piano (and transpose Starting All Over Again a half step up or Your Love a half step down), you're playing almost the exact same notes in the exact same order.

Thinny 08-01-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1274901)
If it's a coincidence, I'd say it's a pretty big one.

It's similar but it's not the same. I love both songs and it hadn't even occured to me until you mentioned it.

Thinny 08-01-2021 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazeofglory (Post 1274902)
The chorus melody from Starting All Over Again is super similar to the verse melody from Your Love - the rhythm and length of the notes is a bit different, but the melody line is almost the same.

If you play both melodies on the piano (and transpose Starting All Over Again a half step up or Your Love a half step down), you're playing almost the exact same notes in the exact same order.

There are only so many notes in the world, it happens all the time. But I don't hear that song and immediately think SAOA at all.

bonjovi90 08-01-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1274905)
There are only so many notes in the world, it happens all the time. But I don't hear that song and immediately think SAOA at all.

Not saying they're soundalikes or close to a rip-off but I can hear well how it may have influenced SAOA in a certain way.

James_86 08-01-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1274904)
It's similar but it's not the same. I love both songs and it hadn't even occured to me until you mentioned it.

I'll agree to disagree.

I'm not entirely sure I'm convinced it only occurred to you this morning though [emoji23]

Thinny 08-01-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1274907)
I'm not entirely sure I'm convinced it only occurred to you this morning though [emoji23]

Not sure I understand? I didn't hear the similarties at all until I read your post. Why would I lie about that?

I think it's a pretty safe bet that neither Tremonti or Myles are Bon Jovi fans and would not be aware of an obscure bonus track...

James_86 08-01-2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1274908)
Not sure I understand? I didn't hear the similarties at all until I read your post. Why would I lie about that?

I think it's a pretty safe bet that neither Tremonti or Myles are Bon Jovi fans and would not be aware of an obscure bonus track...

What I mean is I can't understand how you didn't hear the obvious similarity between the intros of both songs until today. I know things like this can be subjective sometimes but this one hits you right in the face.

I should add that when I said MC was a rip off, I wasn't intending to insinuate the guys in Alter Bridge literally listened to SAOA and went we're going to nick it. Poor choice of words on my part there.

But yeah, I just find it odd you couldn't hear it. Sorry man [emoji2369]

Thinny 08-01-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1274909)
What I mean is I can't understand how you didn't hear the obvious similarity between the intros of both songs until today. I know things like this can be subjective sometimes but this one hits you right in the face.

I should add that when I said MC was a rip off, I wasn't intending to insinuate the guys in Alter Bridge literally listened to SAOA and went we're going to nick it. Poor choice of words on my part there.

But yeah, I just find it odd you couldn't hear it. Sorry man [emoji2369]

Ok, gotcha. All good.