Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   TV & Movies (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Dark Knight (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=46013)

slippery89 07-26-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce (Post 868519)
That is exactly what I think too. The Joker didn't need anyone else. He should have been the star attraction.

He still was the star attraction. I know I personally went just to see the Joker and not anybody else, but everyone else was great too !

Crushgen24/88 07-26-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo_rizwan (Post 868506)
If Two-Face had to be included in THIS franchise, they should've saved him for Part 3.

IMO, it was a bit too much to have Him AND The Joker for this sequel.

Oh, and one more thing; I may have missed something, but what was the Storyline behind the Scarecrow in this film? Was it even played by the same person?

-Scarecrow was the same actor, and basically it was a simple cameo to keep continuity with Batman Begins. There was no storyline to it, per say.

-I;m not trying to disrespect you Mo, but I think you're misreading the point. Joker IS the star attraction. Two-Face isn't a second bad guy, he's a representation of Dent's downfall, as brought on by the Joker. The ultimate example of everything the Joker says about anarchy, and justice is exemplified in Dent's downfall.

Crushgen24/88 07-26-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce (Post 868519)
That is exactly what I think too. The Joker didn't need anyone else. He should have been the star attraction.

It's not a question of the Joker "needing" another villain, or the film needing another "bad guy." The downfall of Dent IS the Joker's greatest crime, and in turning the paragon of virtue, into a lunatic who bases everything solely on chance is his ultimate joke.

mo_rizwan 07-26-2008 12:16 PM

I still believe that if the film was edited from 2 1/2 hours to 2 hours, it would've been a better movie.

Sometimes, you have to sacrifice certain deleted scenes to make the film better.

Nevertheless, I'm still buying the DVD when it's released :)

Mousebounce 07-26-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 868561)
It's not a question of the Joker "needing" another villain, or the film needing another "bad guy." The downfall of Dent IS the Joker's greatest crime, and in turning the paragon of virtue, into a lunatic who bases everything solely on chance is his ultimate joke.

Way too much time was spent on Dent trying to drive that point home, therefore the movie was much longer than it needed to be. Moviegoers aren't stupid, therefore it didn't need to be spelled out for us. I agree with Mo that if edited down to two hours, it would have been a much better film.

Bleeding Purist 07-26-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce (Post 868595)
Way too much time was spent on Dent trying to drive that point home, therefore the movie was much longer than it needed to be. Moviegoers aren't stupid, therefore it didn't need to be spelled out for us. I agree with Mo that if edited down to two hours, it would have been a much better film.

I can agree that the movie could be a bit shorter. You make a good point here.

However, you need to watch Spiderman 3 for an example of a terrible movie with too many villains (along with the 90's Batman movies.) Both recent Batman movies fluidly incorporated multiple villains in smart ways.

By the way, Rachel Dawes is supposed to be fairly uninteresting. The character was forced on them by the studio as a stipulation to move forward with the production so they made do with the imposition. If you notice, she never plays the cliche damsel-in-distress. Her character serves other purposes that I personally found added to the depth of the stories.

BeExcellent 07-27-2008 08:50 PM

Yeah. Could have easily lost half an hour. The film's peak came with the Joker's capture. Really felt like an anticlimax after that.

Rachel's death/Dent's downfall could have easily been incorporated into the story when Joker broke out of captivity. The whole kidnapping thing felt redundant.

As did the 'social experiement' and the sonar mobile phones.... Dragged it out way too long.

Good film overall, but the 9.4 on IMDB is so over the top.

Mousebounce 07-28-2008 01:07 AM

Quote:

Her character serves other purposes that I personally found added to the depth of the stories.
You may be right, but I am so blinded by my dislike for Maggie G. I may have been a bit harsh. I really don't like her as an actress at all.

Alex 07-29-2008 11:01 PM

Brooke, you're not alone in this - I didn't like it as much as I hoped either. Too many little storylines that weren't worked out properly enough. Too long. No real (personal)developments in Bruce's/Batman's life. Dent's downfall wasn't worked out that great either. And Christian Bale's 'Batman voice' was nauseating.

But I did like Heath Ledger. A lot. Probably his most brilliant performance ever.

Bleeding Purist 07-30-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 869086)
Brooke, you're not alone in this - I didn't like it as much as I hoped either. Too many little storylines that weren't worked out properly enough. Too long. No real (personal)developments in Bruce's/Batman's life. Dent's downfall wasn't worked out that great either. And Christian Bale's 'Batman voice' was nauseating.

But I did like Heath Ledger. A lot. Probably his most brilliant performance ever.

I'm with you on the Batman voice. It was distracting to me...I don't think it goes over the way they intended with me.