Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Thinny 09-20-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1267097)
I watched them all other than Miley Cyrus and quite honestly, even Usher, who shamelessly sang over tracks (on some older songs which he said he was doin) was even quite subdued. For me, Keith Urban, since he played the guitar, generated the most enthusiasm. Even Kane Brown who sang well, but the performance overall wasn't as exciting as he generally is in a totally live environment. All of it seemed super confined and maybe that is also a failure of production as well as the artists.

Thanks for that! You could be right. maybe it was a production issue.

Keith is one of the best live performers I've ever seen, so I'm not suprised he pulled it off regardless.

Thinny 09-20-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1267096)
Using the "they're professionals" as a reason is a cop out too...

Nonsense. Loads of other artists have done these live streams with no audience and full bands and none of them have been so flat. Why? Because they love what they do and are good at what they do.

Here's Old Dominion doing the same thing, this is a great live band that has been in the business 5 minutes compared to Jon and have much less experience than him. It's like night and day...they didn't seem phased by it at all.

https://youtu.be/q-CmKbYJXn8

Quote:

There are two types of performances from Jon.... Live during a full concert and TV Promos (American Idol, SNL, Ellen, Etc). When he's doing TV promos, he's used to being more reserved for obvious reasons. That's the performance he gave yesterday.

With no audience to feed off of, he just went into TV promo mode.

We've all seem TV promo performances before and none of them have ever been so dull. See previous post about Madrid, also with no audience

Quote:

Also, asking Jon to fake it is not his thing. How many times has he messed up a lip sync on purpose? Even with his voice as bad as it is, Jon is still real when it comes to performing . Jon is not going to dance around the stage for the sake of doing it. That just not how he works.

"This is not what I'm used to so I'm just gonna phone it in" is not the JBJ that I knew. JBJ of old would love the challenge and have something to prove to all the people watching on TV. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe he has nothing to prove anymore

Rdkopper 09-20-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1267099)
Nonsense. Loads of other artists have done these live streams with no audience and full bands and none of them have been so flat. Why? Because they love what they do and are good at what they do.

Here's Old Dominion doing the same thing, this is a great live band that has been in the business 5 minutes compared to Jon and have much less experience than him. It's like night and day...they didn't seem phased by it at all.

https://youtu.be/q-CmKbYJXn8

We've all seem TV promo performances before and none of them have ever been so dull. See previous post about Madrid, also with no audience

"This is not what I'm used to so I'm just gonna phone it in" is not the JBJ that I knew. JBJ of old would love the challenge and have something to prove to all the people watching on TV. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe he has nothing to prove anymore

Nah! The entire setup was weird. How the guys were positioned, the lights, the screens. Etc. They even looked like they were being directed and told what to do. Watch Shanks face after Limitless.

They were in a television studio playing to no one. No people, no crowd, etc...so you can't compare it to any other shows...All those cheers were added as after effects... some of them were so misplaced its ridiculous.

Btw, He wasn't totally dead. Did you watch the entire thing? He was into the new singles, and he moved and smiled through out most songs... but like Deb said, all the performances were off.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Thinny 09-20-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1267100)
Nah! The entire setup was weird. How the guys were positioned, the lights, the screens. Etc. They even looked like they were being directed and told what to do. Watch Shanks face after Limitless.

yeah quite possibly could have been a production issue as I said.

Quote:

They were in a television studio playing to no one. No people, no crowd, etc...so you can't compare it to any other shows...

I wasn't. Do yourself a favour and just watch some of the ACMs. No crowds, but loads of great performances.

Quote:

Btw, He wasn't totally dead. Did you watch the entire thing? He was into the new singles, and he moved and smiled through out most songs... but like Deb said, all the performances were off.

I watched it all and it bored me to tears. I'm not saying he didn't move at all or that he didn't smile, but it was all so forced, flat and uncomfortable when he did.

Rdkopper 09-20-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1267101)
yeah quite possibly could have been a production issue as I said.

I wasn't. Do yourself a favour and just watch some of the ACMs. No crowds, but loads of great performances.

I watched it all and it bored me to tears. I'm not saying he didn't move at all or that he didn't smile, but it was all so forced, flat and uncomfortable when he did.

I Absolutely agree with the last part and I explained and think it's somewhat justified based on all the reasons provided to you.

The entire band seemed that way. Even Everette was a little less bouncy then normal. And I can't speak for the other performances but Deb did and said they were all off.

Jon knew it himself and made a statement about it during that Instagram video.

Again, the AMAs were a different show and they only performed one song each so STOP COMPARING.

Fact: Jon seemed a little off
Justified: The reasons listed above.

Adam D 09-20-2020 08:44 PM

If this is the way they will be performing the new album, I doubt I'll watch.

I'd rather hear the songs on the album then performed live in the first place, but if there's next to no energy and the setup is awkward, I'll skip it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Rdkopper 09-20-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1267103)
If this is the way they will be performing the new album, I doubt I'll watch.

I'd rather hear the songs on the album then performed live in the first place, but if there's next to no energy and the setup is awkward, I'll skip it.

I totally blame iheart radio for that. Even DWYC was edited down. I think they skipped a verse or some lines.

Adam D 09-20-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1267104)
I totally blame iheart radio for that. Even DWYC was edited down. I think they skipped a verse or some lines.

I agree but I think the performance of the new album is through iHeart as well.

Hopefully, the setup isn't the same.

rolo_tomachi 09-20-2020 08:58 PM

I think the worst thing about this is that it feels like a sham, with all that pretense that there's an audience in front of them, those canned voices of people, honestly, I can't blame Jon and the guys. I don't think they are so guilty this time for this artificial performance.

If we go back to 2007, you will see a performance without an audience that was somewhat better but still lifeless, of course everything was very different, its performance had no vocal problems and the band sounded as it should sound.

We also had a scenario without a similar audience in a studio, 2016 with a terrible attitude from Jon, maybe he was in a bad mood or he was not well to do it, these guys are not 30 years old I suppose, and everything costs them more work.

Let's not forget that Jon always needs a real audience to perform, he is a stage man, and without his audience, he will always feel cold and lifeless. A shame the loss of his voice anyway.

By the way, I Will Drive You Home, another great song that was relegated to a bonus track.
:rolleyes:

Rdkopper 09-20-2020 10:08 PM

Yes to all the above!!!