Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   R.E.M News Update (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=23747)

Kev 03-11-2004 11:56 PM

R.E.M News Update

This is for Peter and all the other REM fans. Taken from remison.com- a RELIABLE fan site which I often go on.

R.E.M. is back in the studio working on songs for the new record to be released sometime in the Fall of 2004. According to REMHQ and some other sources, the as yet untitled release will be followed by a tour of the USA in the Fall and a world tour in early 2005.

"We're working on 22 songs, and 15 or 16 of them are completed. Sometimes it's hard to squeak out 12 songs, but right now every time I sit down, something flies out of me.", Michael Stipe told Billboard.com.

Among the cuts being targeted for the as-yet-untitled Warner Bros. set, which will be produced by the group with Pat McCarthy, are "Wanderlust," "Electron Blue," "Aftermath" and "Magnetic North." Adds Stipe, "We'll finish the record in late spring, take a little bit of time off and then start preparing for the tour, making videos and doing remixes."

Principal members Stipe, guitarist Peter Buck and bassist Mike Mills have been joined in the studio by frequent collaborators Scott McCaughey and Ken Stringfellow as well as drummer Bill Rieflin, who toured with R.E.M. last year.

Stipe says the tour will be "worldwide," starting in September and October. "It'll take us through Europe at least twice," he offers. "I'm really excited; [touring there] last year really set us up for that. I think [the upcoming concert DVD] 'Perfect Square' shows the band's in really good form. We've found a great team of musicians to work with."

"I'll probably change my make-up a little bit for the next tour," he jokes. "It got a little extreme, so it has to get more extreme." The trek is being tipped to visit cities in which R.E.M. has never previously played during its 20-plus-year existence.

"We'll be on the road for probably six to eight months and I'm really looking forward to it," Stipe says in another interview.

And although the group's most recent studio set, 2000's "Reveal," met with lukewarm reviews, Stipe insists he is "excited about what's coming up. I know what we've got up our sleeve and I think people are really going to like it."

Finally, let's remind that tomorrow, on March 8th, Warner Bros. Records will release "Perfect Square", the full length DVD of the Wiesbaden, Germany, concert from R.E.M.'s 2003 tour, internationally. The DVD will be available in the United States on March 16th.

peter 03-13-2004 07:09 PM

And 6 songs from the live DVD can be previews at www.remhq.com :)

Kev 07-25-2004 06:51 PM

Taken from Murmurs.com....

The first single from R.E.M.'s forthcoming new album will be Leaving New York, according to the website for UK music retailer HMV.

The track will be released on September 27 and is available for pre-order. Michael Stipe last week told Rolling Stone it is a love song.

With a titled still unconfirmed, the band's new album is due for release on October 4 in the UK, HMV understands. Both dates may vary internationally.

In related news, it appears dates for R.E.M.'s accompanying tour of the US will be made public in August, while international dates will be confirmed in late September or early October.

Murmursian Preston reports North American fanclub members are being notified of the upcoming tour ticket presale through the mail.

Members will receive a postcard containing a special code to use in an online registration between August 9 at 1pm EDT and August 10 at 6pm EDT, Preston said.

allmike 07-25-2004 07:08 PM

Thanks for the information. I'm really looking forward for that one. :D

Kev 08-02-2004 08:54 AM

About new album
Sources: nme.com, xmf.co.uk

Another few sites have confirmed the information gathered until now. A new album will be released on the 4th of October. Its title is still unknown.

During the interview for Rolling Stone Stipe said "For better or worse, the current state of the world has had a profound impact on the way I'm writing. But even the most depressing song is going to have a glimmer of hope in it.". He also claims that a part of the staff is going to be "pretty hardcore and fairly political". It's also worth mentioning that R.E.M's newest LP will be available in shops just before the US presidential election and the band is famous for its aversion to the current government.

The first single is to be called "Leaving New York". It'll be released on the 27th of September. Michael Stipe described "LNY" as a "love song" and xfm.co.uk revealed that the new single remains "Drive" from "Automatic For The People".

Kev 08-05-2004 11:53 AM

Around The Sun
Source: REMHQ

Mirrored from REMHQ: The band officially confirmed today that the new record will be titled Around the Sun. HQ learned that the band decided on the title last night.

Around the Sun will be released on Warner Bros. Records October 4th (internationally) and October 5th in the United States. The first single will be "Leaving New York."

Kev 08-16-2004 10:17 AM

"Leaving New York" online
Sources: R.E.M.hq, Murmurs.com

R.E.M.hq unveiled the chorus to "Leaving New York", the first single from the forthcoming album "Around the Sun". There's a "sneak preview" link on the main page on R.E.M.hq. You'll need Quick Time player to listen to the snippet.

From the other news, the first airplay for "Leaving New York" will take place sometime during the Drivetime Show (17:00-19:00 GMT, 18:00-20:00 CET) next Tuesday (17th August) on BBC Radio 2. You can listen to the show online on the BBC Radio 2 website.

allmike 08-16-2004 10:52 AM

great news!!!!!!!!!. Can't wait to see the video. :D

peter 08-18-2004 01:37 AM

Well check this out, REM just put THE ENTIRE SONG for everyone to hear on their official site! (the song will hit airwaves this week and the single will be out in a month or so I think) High quality quicktime!

http://www.remhq.com/flash/index.html

Kev 08-18-2004 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter
Well check this out, REM just put THE ENTIRE SONG for everyone to hear on their official site! (the song will hit airwaves this week and the single will be out in a month or so I think) High quality quicktime!

http://www.remhq.com/flash/index.html

PETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ROCK MAN!!!!!!!!! :D

THANK YOU 8)