Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Does the band need outside writers? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=45031)

yomamasofat 05-13-2008 05:11 AM

Does the band need outside writers?

Alright, so first of all spare me from the whole "Jon is the greatest songwriter ever, just listen at the epic DA album, you know what I'm talking about" shit. The fact is, Bon Jovi didn't hit paydirt until they drafted the legendary Desmond Child. Check out the first 12 songs that Desmond had a hand in:

1. Bad Name
2. Prayer
3. Without Love
4. Bad Medicine
5. Born To Be My Baby
6. Blood On Blood
7. Wild Is The Wind
8. Keep The Faith
9. Sleep When I'm Dead
10. Something For The Pain
11. This Ain't A Love Song
12. Hearts Breaking Even

Not a single clunker. After that of course there were turds like Diamond Ring, The Distance and You Want To Make A Memory. However, most of the songs that Desmond co-wrote were great.

In addition, some of the other classic Bon Jovi songs like It's My Life, Just Older, Undivided, Bounce, Have A Nice Day, Any Other Day, I Love This Town were written with someone from outside the band.

Do you think the band should keep involving outside writers?

I'm not saying that the band themselves can't write classics. Songs like the all-holy In These Arms, These Days, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Social Disease, I'd Die For You, Wild In The Streets, Love For Sale, 99 In The Shade, I'll Be There For You, Dry County, and Who Says You Can't Go Home prove that the band is capable. However, they seem to work very well with outside writers as well.

I say they should.

Crushgen24/88 05-13-2008 05:41 AM

I think it's relative. They've written great songs by themselves and great songs with outside writers. They've also written shit songs by themselves, and shit songs with other writers.

Javier 05-13-2008 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 825341)
I think it's relative. They've written great songs by themselves and great songs with outside writers. They've also written shit songs by themselves, and shit songs with other writers.

I second this, aslong as the song is a good song....

Bongo VII 05-13-2008 08:48 AM

I don't think they're a necessity, but they've got a fairly good track record of picking writers who work well with them and that shows.

As long as we're talking about writing, I do think David should write more. I always like David songs.

crimson_05 05-13-2008 08:57 AM

They definately do, they never would have achieved the success they have without Desmond and others.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 05-13-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomamasofat (Post 825335)
After that of course there were turds like Diamond Ring, The Distance and You Want To Make A Memory.

You hurt my feelings.:(

Anyway, I think it's healthy to have a bit of outside help sometimes, and Desmond has been important to them, but I basically agree with what Crushgen said.

And Dave is an excellent musician, why is he being shunted?

bjcrazycpa 05-13-2008 11:56 AM

As Brian mentioned, they've had hits without outside writers, Always is one example and more recently, Who Says You Can't Go Home (in the US, at least) so, I don't think they "need" them but I'm not one who is put off if they use them.

deb

yomamasofat 05-13-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi_on_a_prayer (Post 825356)
You hurt my feelings.:(

Anyway, I think it's healthy to have a bit of outside help sometimes, and Desmond has been important to them, but I basically agree with what Crushgen said.

And Dave is an excellent musician, why is he being shunted?

Sorry baby.

I don't know. Dave is 1/3 of the mega-awesomeness that is In These Arms, I think he needs to collaborate more with Richie and Jon.

Javier 05-13-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomamasofat (Post 825365)
Sorry baby.

I don't know. Dave is 1/3 of the mega-awesomeness that is In These Arms, I think he needs to collaborate more with Richie and Jon.

But he's also 1/3 of the not so awesomeness that is Unbreakable. :(

yomamasofat 05-13-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 825373)
But he's also 1/3 of the not so awesomeness that is Unbreakable. :(

I think Unbreakable is a good song. Yes, it's not as awesome as In These Arms, and yes it's poppy but after 2000, Bon Jovi is more pop anyway, so I don't see the big deal. The song rocks more than some of the snoozers in HAND (Bells of Freedom, Welcome To Wherever You Are).