Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I've found love for 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55396)

Tiggerbeast 04-13-2013 04:33 PM

I've found love for 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit

I bought 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit and listen to it back in 1993. I hated it. I'd listen to it only a couple of times after and didn't change my opinion. I discovered other Bon Jovi fans felt the same way.

However.

I listen to it last week and for some reason I love it. Once you get past the first two tracks, 'In And Out Of Love' and 'The Price Of Love' its actuallya lot of fun to listen to.

I didn't know until recently that Bon Jovi's first UK Top 40 wasn't 'You Give Love A Bad Name', but 'Only Lonely' more than a year before (it peaked at #24 in the UK).

The remaining singles 'In And Out Of Love', 'Price of Love' and 'Hardest Part Is The night' feel like filler, but there's some really great songs that I think could have done reasonably well as sings. 'I Don't Wanna Fall To The Fire', 'King of The Mountain' are really got fist pounding songs.

Supersonic 04-13-2013 04:45 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiggerbeast (Post 1122130)
I didn't know until recently that Bon Jovi's first UK Top 40 wasn't 'You Give Love A Bad Name', but 'Only Lonely' more than a year before (it peaked at #24 in the UK).

No it didn't. Only Lonely was never released in the U.K. The Hardest Part Is The Night was the only single before You Give Love A Bad Name to ever chart anywhere in Europe.

The Fahrenheit record is a pretty good album that's being held back by the production. I find it odd how people like The Circle and then slam Fahrenheit, while the first has terrible production and the latter has all the hooks The Circle wants to have but never gets.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

ezearis 04-13-2013 05:10 PM

I used to only like Only Lonely and Silent Night but then I heard it all and falled in love with the record. I like most of the songs on it! The top 3 IMO are the 2 songs I mentioned before and The Hardest Part Is The Night.

Rdkopper 04-13-2013 05:17 PM

Awesome album. The first two albums were the build up to Slippery and define what Bon Jovi was.

Alphavictim 04-13-2013 06:51 PM

Good album. I pretty much completely disagree with OP's take on the song highlights, though.

Kathleen 04-13-2013 07:21 PM

It's an album that I have always loved. It's darker (or sadder) depending on your viewpoint than recent Jovi but sometimes that is exactly what you want to hear.

The remastered Japanese version (from the late 90s) is a better listen sonically even though it has been subjected to the loudness wars.

Crushgen24/88 04-13-2013 07:47 PM

Album that has never dine anything for me. Outside of Tokyo Road it's a major dud IMO. A lot of it sounds like parody hair metal music.

crashed 04-13-2013 07:56 PM

Other than the production it shows them really learning to write a song. Silent Night and The Hardest Part Is The Night are great songs. It's not a terrible album at all, I only rate it very low because it sounds so dated.

bonjovi90 04-13-2013 08:00 PM

It really sounds dated, but there are some awesome hooks on it and the songwriting is darker than on later releases (TD excluded for that matter).
Loving the keyboards on Secret Dreams!

Bleeding Purist 04-13-2013 08:04 PM

I loved this album with really only King of the Mountain, Secret Dreams and Into the Fire not doing anything for me. It's a snapshot of a time and chapter in my life in the mid-80's. I think the video for In & Out of Love is one of their best to this day... capturing them on the Jersey shore just having fun.

Barciur 04-13-2013 08:28 PM

I myself absolutely love it, it's kind of weird, mysterious, which is fun. I really enjoy most of the songs, because they are different really.
Maybe it kind of symbolizes the early Bon jovi for me, and being 20, I've never experienced it and I would have loved to, so perhaps the mystery and unachievability of it adds to my love for the album.

KeepTheFaith2211 04-13-2013 08:32 PM

One of my favourite albums. There's only two weak songs on it, in my opinion.

The Northern Cowboy 04-13-2013 09:01 PM

I'm biased as I love 80's pop/rock/metal, but I don't see why people hate this album so much. It's darker and has some great guitar work, and at the very least it sounds like a band that's hungry.

Captain Walrus 04-14-2013 12:28 AM

Its my favourite band album outside of the big 4. Just a great heavy rock album

Butters 04-14-2013 12:36 AM

With the exception of one or two bright spots, I hate the album. Utter garbage, in my opinion.

StoneDeaf 04-14-2013 12:49 AM

Well, worst songs from Fahrenheit still beats anything from last decade. Overall, I too think Fahrenheit is way underrated. It took catchy pop-rock of debut into slightly darker, heavier form. And indeed was in my opinon very important part in building legacy that country-Jon is now ripping apart. As said, all it really needed was better production.

DaveK 04-14-2013 01:48 AM

Would love to hear hardest part is the night live. they rehearsed it before the circle tour but never bothered with it in the end. Top of my Jovi wish list though.

KeepTheFaith2211 04-14-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveK (Post 1122225)
Would love to hear hardest part is the night live. they rehearsed it before the circle tour but never bothered with it in the end. Top of my Jovi wish list though.

I've just been listening to that, actually. It doesn't sound right, really.

Barciur 04-14-2013 02:07 AM

Yeah I heard the rehearsed version and as much as "it doesn't sound right", I too would love to hear it live, top of my wish list and I don't mind how it sounds - I enjoyed it.

life_of_agony 04-14-2013 02:30 AM

I have never understood why this album was slammed so much. I think it is brilliant, a great hard rock album. Gonna go crank it right now...

wolffex 04-14-2013 09:54 AM

I love this album a lot. The production is not so good as most stated but the songs are pretty good. There are 2-3 songs on the album I don't enjoy but there are parts of those songs that are great, whether it be lyrics, melody, solo or a certain part. This is an album I almost always listen to when I'm traveling in a bus, train etc and its a 30-45 minute trip. Would love to hear Silent Night and Only Lonely live. They should drop I'll Sleep When I'm Dead and replace it with Silent Night as a staple or another 7800 song

linnea.cfc32_jovibandana 04-14-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolffex (Post 1122277)
I love this album a lot. The production is not so good as most stated but the songs are pretty good. There are 2-3 songs on the album I don't enjoy but there are parts of those songs that are great, whether it be lyrics, melody, solo or a certain part. This is an album I almost always listen to when I'm traveling in a bus, train etc and its a 30-45 minute trip. Would love to hear Silent Night and Only Lonely live. They should drop I'll Sleep When I'm Dead and replace it with Silent Night as a staple or another 7800 song

Agreed- I never lost my love for this album :) Only Lonely is amazing. Sure King of the Mountain and (I Don't Wanna Fall) To the Fire are boring but that's it really. I love the rest.

yomamasofat 04-14-2013 04:21 PM

In and Out of Love is a great song. There is only 1 song in the Circle and WAN combined that is better than that song: Love's The Only Rule. Everything else is not as good.

Tiggerbeast 04-14-2013 04:37 PM

I like most of the songs except for In And Out Of Love, Price Of Love and The Hardest Part Is The Night. However, the latter does have some really good lyrics and shows what Jon, Richie and David's songwriting could be.

I also like The Circle. I like dark moody keyboards. I can't listen to These Days because its too soppy. It reminds me a Michael Bolton.

Dave 1986 04-14-2013 09:36 PM

I liked a lot of the songs off the album but as a whole I've never been able to truly take it all in. Infact most of the second half I can barely remember. (and I've had the album for 12 years)

7800° Fahrenheit as still got some of their best riffs (and solos) and as noted, is quite darker and probably their most aggressive they've ever sounded. IMO it's probably their most "hair metal" sounding album.

ezearis 04-15-2013 12:49 AM

I'll never get the hate for To The Fire. I like it more than In And Out Of Love.

ZB_ 04-16-2013 11:01 AM

Awesome album.. Love every song on it, Love 'King Of The Mountain' and 'To The Fire'. The feel of the album is amazing. Well, after listening to it A LOT I got bored with 'Silent Night', but overall really stunning release.

Beside the fact that guitarlines are well-crafted and, actually every instrument sounds perfect, the big thing is the difference in Jon's voice. On the debut album his voice was high, but for example om 'Get Ready' it sounds terrible. He had the voice but didn't know, how to use it properly. On Fahrenheit he sings like an old hand..

Sami 04-16-2013 01:23 PM

I always thought it´s a great album. A lot of distorted guitars, cool riffs, catchy melodies, cute choruses. That was the pre-Desmond era.
Not to say I wouldn´t love what they´ve done with DC.

IML88 04-16-2013 01:32 PM

Only Lonely and Hardest Part are two absolute gems.