Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

efpg0708 11-05-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259844)
Regardless of whether or not it's autotune, his voice is filtered to hell. Compare the vocal track with a lot of pre-2005 songs or even most of LH. That's his natural singing voice. Since then it all sounds like he's singing through a sock or the compression is jacked way too high.

I’d say it’s the worst thing they’ve ever released vocal-wise. If that’s what it takes to disguise Jon’s atrocious vocals in studio, they should quit releasing new music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

angelsambo 11-05-2019 09:43 PM

neither david nor phil promotes the new single only jon and shanks

YOVANAfromPeru 11-05-2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1259847)

good point, they must be jealous!

hchb2000 11-06-2019 12:52 AM

In my opinion this is one of his best written songs in the last 20 years if not more. As someone who has watched a handful of veteran focused documentaries, and talked to a few of them in person, the lyrics grabbed me from the start and it was an emotional ride. His voice sounds just as broken as a lot of veterans are and to me it was fitting (though sad cuz I wish he sounded so much better).

Jon has mentioned so many times that his songwriting influences are Dylan and Cohen though to me he didn't even try to write anything like them. But this song, this song has for once (again, in my opinion) hinted at Cohen's style. It presents storytelling through the different stages in the mind of a soldier. It doesn't impose the chorus but delivers it when the lyrics reach the need of a prayer.

This line "I live my life for each tomorrow
So their memories will live on" is, as a matter of fact something a Vietnam veteran told me during a flight. Very emotional.

That being said, I feel he liked the lyrics so much the melody ended up suffering to give room for all the words in some lines. As a result, it is difficult for me to connect with the melody...but it has been growing on me.

All in all, I really like it...

rokuli 11-06-2019 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1259847)

Consider this scenario

Jon: Next song we'll release will support this patriotic movie with strong lyric content.

Dave: mmm

Tico: [thinking: wtf?....this is bullocks]

Dave: Could this be your solo song?

Jon: Sorry guys, but I think this fits perfectly in the mood of our upcoming album and would be a great fall single.

Dave: Do you need us for the promo?

Jon: We'll shooting a video tomorrow.

Tico: mmm [Not cancelling my arts class for this....]

Dave: Sorry can't make it, going Fitz to play some bar piano.

This circus is getting more and more weird.....

jovifan93 11-06-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1259844)
Regardless of whether or not it's autotune, his voice is filtered to hell. Compare the vocal track with a lot of pre-2005 songs or even most of LH. That's his natural singing voice. Since then it all sounds like he's singing through a sock or the compression is jacked way too high.

Problem is, the singing voice you're talking about is gone. His middle range is somewhat shot, how I do not understand, but it is. This is his lower range (which got a lot lower in recent years) and then he's able to belt out high notes pretty decently, but everything in the middle (think of easy songs like WLOL) is shot, sadly. Add to that breathing/timing problems and you got what it is nowadays. But I don't see heavy filtering or any doctoring here, on the contrary, I think this is as raw as it gets and exactly how he sounds today.

Captain_jovi 11-06-2019 03:35 PM

Not sure I agree but get what you're saying. We've heard his lower register before, both live and in studio, the last few releases have this almost sludge like sound to it. Some songs on THINFS massively have it, some dont, but I don't know what it is or how to explain what I'm hearing haha.

polevka 11-06-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1259858)
But I don't see heavy filtering or any doctoring here, on the contrary, I think this is as raw as it gets and exactly how he sounds today.

This is more or less what I am thinking too. I don't mind the rawness. Just not sure how it works within a polished production.

Rdkopper 11-06-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1259858)
Problem is, the singing voice you're talking about is gone. His middle range is somewhat shot, how I do not understand, but it is. This is his lower range (which got a lot lower in recent years) and then he's able to belt out high notes pretty decently, but everything in the middle (think of easy songs like WLOL) is shot, sadly. Add to that breathing/timing problems and you got what it is nowadays. But I don't see heavy filtering or any doctoring here, on the contrary, I think this is as raw as it gets and exactly how he sounds today.

Very well explained!!! Yes!!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Savvi 11-07-2019 01:59 PM

I don't feel like his voice is heavily doctored at all. Seems mostly natural to me. Unlike songs like Roller Coaster and and I'm With You (both songs I like).

I don't hate the song by any means, but it is most defintely my least favourite lead single in the band's history.