Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

rolo_tomachi 09-08-2019 02:38 AM

bounce was about 11 S.

thesedays2014 09-08-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1258818)
bounce was about 11 S.

Yep, he kept on going on about 11-S before and during promotion. It’s all in the lyrics too.

bonjovi90 09-08-2019 01:15 PM

However, he kept repeating that it wasn't an album solely themed about 9/11 like Springsteen's The Rising, but an album where parts were definitely inspired by the tragedy.

Captain_jovi 09-08-2019 06:13 PM

Yeah he made lots of points about how Bounce had 9/11 songs but it wasn't a 9/11 record. HAND was the first time he started mentioning politics in his lyrics/song promotions and The Circle is closer to when it became more than that.

DryCounty 09-09-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1258822)
Yeah he made lots of points about how Bounce had 9/11 songs but it wasn't a 9/11 record. HAND was the first time he started mentioning politics in his lyrics/song promotions and The Circle is closer to when it became more than that.

Agree. One of the reasons I rate Lost Highway very highly of the era since HAND - it's the only record not inspired by politics AT ALL. It was inspired in big by personal heartbreaks in the band and I really think that inspires the band to write better lyrics. THINFS of course is also very personally inspired but in a different way and there were still social themes.

When BJ abandoned relationship songs (almost completely) after LH something simply got lost that was a big part of Jovi for me. I just can't care for lyrics like Working Man, WWBTF, BWC, Whats Left of Me, WAN etc.

Eveline 09-09-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1258834)
Agree. One of the reasons I rate Lost Highway very highly of the era since HAND - it's the only record not inspired by politics AT ALL. It was inspired in big by personal heartbreaks in the band and I really think that inspires the band to write better lyrics. THINFS of course is also very personally inspired but in a different way and there were still social themes.

When BJ abandoned relationship songs (almost completely) after LH something simply got lost that was a big part of Jovi for me. I just can't care for lyrics like Working Man, WWBTF, BWC, Whats Left of Me, WAN etc.

I so agree! You were able to pinpoint it, thanks man. Then we know such hits like These Days or Keep the Faith were also written in that social vein but yet, they are far from boring. I somehow connect better on a personal level rather than collective 'we', though.

Captain_jovi 09-09-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1258834)

I mean HAND would have started that trend. Wildflower, Last Cigarette and maybe Novocaine are the only ones that touch on that. I noticed they followed a one off one on trend for a bit. Bounce had a lot of love songs, HAND had very little, LH had 'em, The Circle had nothin, WAN had plenty etc.

steel_horse75 09-09-2019 11:43 PM

Jon said that HAND was gonna be a heavy rock album.....and it was one of their worst.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alphavictim 09-09-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1258841)
I mean HAND would have started that trend. Wildflower, Last Cigarette and maybe Novocaine are the only ones that touch on that.

I Am may not be a ballad, but it's certainly a love song. Or "relationship song". As is Dirty Little Secret (a bonus track, but still). That's... 4 (or 5) out of 12 (13)? That might be more than on KTF, the album famous for Bed Of Roses... it's just that none of the love songs were super duper power ballad monster hits.

Hell, how many love songs are on Slippery? 3?

Captain_jovi 09-10-2019 12:14 AM

Oh shoot, yeah I guess I Am would count as a relationship song. I think depending on what you consider mid-tempo (to me at least) Bells and Wildflower are the only slower feeling songs of the album.