Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

angelsambo 08-29-2020 07:51 PM

cool hair

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEdNx20sXHK/

Butters 08-29-2020 08:43 PM

I'm sure this was explained somewhere in the last ten pages but why is Dave unable to play with the band at this show?

Faceman 08-29-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1266537)
I'm sure this was explained somewhere in the last ten pages but why is Dave unable to play with the band at this show?

He doesn't like the new material.

Captain_jovi 08-29-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1266537)

His musical Diana is doing a cast recording of the production at the same time.

steel_horse75 08-29-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1266538)
He doesn't like the new material.

Thats probably true [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

YOVANAfromPeru 08-30-2020 03:11 AM

David was so proud of This House Is Not For Sale...
Who knows about this album.
But it seems this album is very Jon Bon Jovi and well Shanks...
Phil X: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEfB8QSggaM/

Butters 08-30-2020 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266540)
His musical Diana is doing a cast recording of the production at the same time.

Thanks.

That says a lot about current priorities

Captain_jovi 08-30-2020 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1266544)
Thanks.

That says a lot about current priorities

Man, I'm beating a dead horse here but....

steel_horse75 08-30-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266545)

The issue is.....is it Jbj releasing a new Bon Jovi album or Bon Jovi?
It’s Bon Jovi so wait until everyone is available as it’s not 100% live.
What’s the rush to record a performance that isn’t going out for weeks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Faceman 08-30-2020 03:38 PM

Well, it's kinda strange that in 35+ years he only missed 1 show due to him winning a Tony. Even when his Dad died in 2003 during the Bounce tour he didn't miss a show.
Now the band wants to record a show. It isn't live and there's no date for a release yet. So I can't see a reason why it's impossible to make it happen with the full band.
Covid-19 may make it tougher to get it all done. But it's still a matter of planning they have to do one way or another. And nobody can tell me that both recordings were a last-minute-decision...

JackieBlue 08-30-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1266543)
David was so proud of This House Is Not For Sale...
Who knows about this album.
But it seems this album is very Jon Bon Jovi and well Shanks...
Phil X: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEfB8QSggaM/

Wow, Tico doesn't even look like Tico.

faith1985 08-30-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1266549)
Well, it's kinda strange that in 35+ years he only missed 1 show due to him winning a Tony. Even when his Dad died in 2003 during the Bounce tour he didn't miss a show.
Now the band wants to record a show. It isn't live and there's no date for a release yet. So I can't see a reason why it's impossible to make it happen with the full band.
Covid-19 may make it tougher to get it all done. But it's still a matter of planning they have to do one way or another. And nobody can tell me that both recordings were a last-minute-decision...

Well, David is probably more essential to being at the musical rehearsels than to playing his parts for the live recording. If they release the recording, I guess it would be different. And I do think that - since it is his musical - it is more important. You could also argue that Jon did not force him to be there which is a good thing. In the end, we dont know and I would not make a big thing out of it.

Captain_jovi 08-30-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1266549)

No but that's apples to oranges. Covid has made everything shift so unpredictably and you're talking as if you know one or the other wasn't last-ish minute. No one knows how the dates shifted between the album's new release date and Diana's recording date.

Look, I don't like it either but being put in a situation where it's two big machines fighting for time, I don't know how people can look at it with a "David doesn't care" or "Jon should wait" glasses. The months of planning of promo materials went right out the window for both projects and I think people are being naive when they assume it's just a day's work they'd need to sort out, the rehearsals are the real time killer.

Butters 08-30-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266545)

I don't think your analysis is correct though. If Dave was desparate to be there for a recording of his band's new album, I think he would make it happen. If Jon was desparate to have his keyboard player from his new album there, I think he would find a way to make it happen. COVID-19 is a cop out excuse. I appreciate it makes things more difficult but if this had happened in 2005, you can be sure that Dave would have been there.

I think it is okay though. I'm sure - and I would expect as much - that Dave values his broadway work moreso than he does his band duties. I am also sure that Jon values prep for his album moreso than having specific band members present. It isn't 2005 anymore.

Captain_jovi 08-30-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1266554)
I don't think your analysis is correct though. If Dave was desparate to be there for a recording of his band's new album, I think he would make it happen. If Jon was desparate to have his keyboard player from his new album there, I think he would find a way to make it happen. COVID-19 is a cop out excuse. I appreciate it makes things more difficult but if this had happened in 2005, you can be sure that Dave would have been there.

I think it is okay though. I'm sure - and I would expect as much - that Dave values his broadway work moreso than he does his band duties. I am also sure that Jon values prep for his album moreso than having specific band members present. It isn't 2005 anymore.

Fair enough, it really falls into no one knowing literally anything about the scheduling and how the plans came about but I feel for an album coming out in just about a month and a broadway musical rehearsing and recording at the same time in the middle of a pandemic I don't feel AS bad that this happened. I think it's a little short-sighted to say Covid is a cop out excuse but meh, it is what it is! I'm still looking forward to both projects.

Thinny 08-30-2020 07:26 PM

Don't forget too this isn't just about Dave. There are engineers, musicians, all the singers that would have been booked to record on this day, they would have kept their schedules free for this. To just cancel on them at a moments notice isn't really fair. Some sessions musicians may also have a cut off date for cancellations, so they may have even had to pay them if he had cancelled. Same with studio time.

I have no doubt that Jon would have known Dave was booked when he decided on this, so let's not just blame Dave saying that he isn't commited to the band. Every band of a certain level has to have some kind of shared calendar where they add in dates and times that they are booked with other work. You also have to remember that Dave is still builidng his repuation for this side of his career, letting people down because of his other job will not build confidence for him in the scene...and I'm sure that Jon understands all of this.

Is it really any different from when the started WAN without Richie because he was touring/promoting aftermath? A one off performace isn't even as important as making a new album....

Captain_jovi 08-30-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1266559)
Don't forget too this isn't just about Dave. There are engineers, musicians, all the singers that would have been booked to record on this day, they would have kept their schedules free for this. To just cancel on them at a moments notice isn't really fair. Some sessions musicians may also have a cut off date for cancellations, so they may have even had to pay them if he had cancelled. Same with studio time.

I have no doubt that Jon would have known Dave was booked when he decided on this, so let's not just blame Dave saying that he isn't commited to the band. Every band of a certain level has to have some kind of shared calendar where they add in dates and times that they are booked with other work. You also have to remember that Dave is still builidng his repuation for this side of his career, letting people down because of his other job will not build confidence for him in the scene...and I'm sure that Jon understands all of this.

Is it really any different from when the started WAN without Richie because he was touring/promoting aftermath? A one off performace isn't even as important as making a new album....

PREEEEEEEEEETTY much, yeah.

Though the timelines of WAN are murky, I could swear someone, maybe Hugh, saying the album was done almost a full year before release and Richie started work on Aftermath just after WAN was completed but whooooo knows.

JackieBlue 08-30-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

They started WAN without Richie? When?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266561)
PREEEEEEEEEETTY much, yeah.

Though the timelines of WAN are murky, I could swear someone, maybe Hugh, saying the album was done almost a full year before release and Richie started work on Aftermath just after WAN was completed but whooooo knows.

Not exactly... Richie was working on Aftermath while he and Jon were writing for WAN. He was already in the studio when he started flying back and forth to write with Jon for the 'new' album.

WAN was released in Mar 2013. Shanks said they started working on it in Oct 2011 and it took "about a year". Richie's album came out in Sept 2012, so there's no way he could have started on Aftermath after WAN was completed. Unless Hugh was perhaps referring to the song, What About Now.

Captain_jovi 08-30-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1266563)
They started WAN without Richie? When?

Not exactly... Richie was working on Aftermath while he and Jon were writing for WAN. He was already in the studio when he started flying back and forth to write with Jon for the 'new' album.

WAN was released in Mar 2013. Shanks said they started working on it in Oct 2011 and it took "about a year". Richie's album came out in Sept 2012, so there's no way he could have started on Aftermath after WAN was completed. Unless Hugh was perhaps referring to the song, What About Now.

Gonna try and track down the interview I'm thinking of. This one isn't it but as of Jan 2012 Hugh claims Richie was just finishing up his solo album and the band hadn't gotten together yet to work on the new album so maybe I got it reversed? Gonna do more digging. I know it leaked in late spring of 2012 so with a few weeks of mixing and mastering Hugh would be right about this.

pr

Thinny 08-30-2020 08:21 PM

I may be remembering things wrong, the old grey cells are not what they used to be haha. I'm probably mixing up the time lines, but in my mind, Richie always joined the recording (not neccessary the writing, as that could have been stared much earlier) for WAN late....I remember an interview with Richie saying that he got a call from Jon but told him he had to wait for him as he was busy with Aftermath being released. Maybe it was beginning the tour and not recording the album? I thought this was around the same time that Tico said he didn't want to come and work on the demos, but maybe not...

Captain_jovi 08-30-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1266565)
I maybe remembering things wrong, the old grey cells are not what they used to be haha. I'm probably mixing up the time lines, but in my mind, Richie always joined the recording for WAN late....I remember an interview with Richie saying that he got a call from Jon but told him he had to wait for him as he was busy with Aftermath. Maybe it was beginning the tour and not recording the album? I thought this was around the same time that Tico said he didn't want to come and work on the demos, but maybe not...

I think you're right. If the major recording for WAN happened AFTER Aftermath was done it would have been the writing sessions he was flying back and forth for and it was the promo/rehearsals for that happening when WAN was being recorded.

Faceman 08-30-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1266551)
Well, David is probably more essential to being at the musical rehearsels than to playing his parts for the live recording. If they release the recording, I guess it would be different. And I do think that - since it is his musical - it is more important. You could also argue that Jon did not force him to be there which is a good thing. In the end, we dont know and I would not make a big thing out of it.

I'm not saying David's musical is less important or Jon should force him to come.
Actually I don't care who's to blame or not.
But since there are already more hired-guns onstage than original members, even if all remaining original members are there, I don't think it's a smart move to go on if one of those original members can't participate.

Faceman 08-30-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1266554)

Spot on!

Quote:

That's what I was trying to say but with different words. With all the staff that's involved on both sides, I can't believe that anything was a last-minute-decision and that there wasn't a possibility to get both schedules together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266553)
No but that's apples to oranges. Covid has made everything shift so unpredictably and you're talking as if you know one or the other wasn't last-ish minute. No one knows how the dates shifted between the album's new release date and Diana's recording date.

No, it isn't. Like I said above...
And no, I don't know anything for sure. But neither do you. So I guess we're once again agreeing to disagree on that one ;)

faith1985 08-30-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1266567)
I'm not saying David's musical is less important or Jon should force him to come.
Actually I don't care who's to blame or not.
But since there are already more hired-guns onstage than original members, even if all remaining original members are there, I don't think it's a smart move to go on if one of those original members can't participate.

I did not say that you meantthey agreed it that way, what I was saying is that maybe they agreed that it is ok to do it without David. Maybe it is not the best possible outcome to do it withour David but I don't know what the release plan is and what else they've got planned. There are many people involved, as mentioned before, plus the record company and iheart who might have a say in it as well.

Would be interesting to see whether they release it before the album comes out.

Jack27 08-30-2020 11:44 PM

I think we’ll see it sooner rather than later. It’s just a feeling! There was a picture of Jon being interviewed with an iHeart radio microphone on Instagram (Joe Lewis Company). I don’t think they’d record it without David unless it was to be released soon. Jon also said “very, very soon” on the Hampton Water after party.

Captain_jovi 08-31-2020 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1266568)

No, it isn't. Like I said above...
And no, I don't know anything for sure. But neither do you. So I guess we're once again agreeing to disagree on that one ;)

Hundred percent, but I'm not saying I know one way or the other, I'm saying I'm not bothered by it because everyone's schedules are messed up like crazy with so many moving parts.

I'm all good just disagreeing on this one :)

Javier 08-31-2020 06:36 AM

Are they quarantined before rehearsals and such? That puts a BIG damper on logistics as prep time between 1 project would need about 14 days difference between the other ending. Dave is just busy with his thing, it happens....

Captain_jovi 08-31-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1266575)
Are they quarantined before rehearsals and such? That puts a BIG damper on logistics as prep time between 1 project would need about 14 days difference between the other ending. Dave is just busy with his thing, it happens....

I believe a few months ago Phil had to quarantine 14 days away from his family before going to work so it's very possible. But a few months ago feels like a lifetime so I'm not sure if that's changed.

Jack27 09-01-2020 06:11 PM

18th and 19th September - as per Jon on Instagram

angelsambo 09-03-2020 09:44 PM

who will listen to the 30-second snippets ?

bonjovi90 09-03-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1266609)

I don't think I will, but then again, I don't feel any urge to listen to this album either, so the opinion might not be valid [emoji23]

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Jack27 09-04-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1266609)

I always say to myself that I won’t and save myself to listen to the album in full....and then they come out and I say to myself “one listen can’t hurt”...and then I always listen a second and a third time. I need more willpower!!

Captain_jovi 09-04-2020 04:38 PM

I absolutely will, I need something to make me feel "okay" about this album.

JackieBlue 09-04-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266617)
I absolutely will, I need something to make me feel "okay" about this album.

I will, too. The minute they become available! 😁

liljovi93 09-04-2020 07:49 PM

Does anyone have the link to the website that uploads songs snippets before anyone else? I remember Knockout was available on there before anywhere else but I can't remember what the site is called.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

jovifan85 09-04-2020 08:25 PM

Here is a website that discusses more of Bon Jovi's 2020 Album track listing:

https://www.darkside.ru/news/news-it...22751&dlang=en

"2020" track listing with songwriter credits:

01. Limitless (Jon Bon Jovi, Billy Falcon, John Shanks)

02. Do What You Can (Jon Bon Jovi)

03. American Reckoning (Jon Bon Jovi)

04. Beautiful Drug (Jon Bon Jovi, Billy Falcon, John Shanks)

05. Story Of Love (Jon Bon Jovi)

06. Let It Rain (Jon Bon Jovi)

07. Lower The Flag (Jon Bon Jovi)

08. Blood In The Water (Jon Bon Jovi)

09. Brothers In Arms (Jon Bon Jovi)

10. Unbroken (Jon Bon Jovi)

Sure, "2020" is filled with fist in the air anthems and ballads that have rocked stadiums for the last 35 years. However, "2020" bears witness to the events that are shaping the world today.

Jon Bon Jovi delves into socially conscious matters such as soldiers dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder ("Unbroken", featured in the documentary "To Be Of Service"), gun violence ("Lower The Flag"), our shared social experience ("Let It Rain", "Brothers In Arms") and the political climate ("Blood In The Water").

The album — which follows the band's 2016 No. 1 release, "This House is Not For Sale" — also finds the group coming out of the other side of a period of great change.

Once again co-produced by John Shanks and Jon Bon Jovi, the record features the entire touring band — keyboardist David Bryan, drummer Tico Torres, bassist Hugh McDonald, guitarist Phil X, percussionist Everett Bradley, and guitarist John Shanks.

"I have a very clear vision of who and what the band is, and what this record was meant to be," said Bon Jovi.

The title, an allusion to the forthcoming presidential election year, features Jon on the album cover standing in front of the New York City courthouse in sunglasses, with an image of the American flag waving inside the frames. The imagery was inspired by a photograph of President John F. Kennedy, deep in thought before addressing a crowd.

"It's not a distinctly political record, but it's an election year so there is a wryness in the title 2020. This record had to encompass different themes, not just politics, but the state of our world today, life, love and loss," said Bon Jovi.

"2020" starts with a clear perspective, launching with the first explosive rock song "Beautiful Drug". Enveloped by crunchy guitars, Jon asks the listener to "hear my confession, it's a blessing/ it's a curse," but ultimately surmises, "love is a beautiful drug."

The band makes its mission statement extremely clear with the lead single, "Limitless", an upbeat anthem encouraging optimism in an uncertain world. The listener is implored to seize the day, as everyone is "trying to keep your head above water," and don't be afraid to go through that open door, because "life is limitless."

Jon pulls the listener closer for a real conversation with "Unbroken", written for the documentary "To Be Of Service". Jon sings of a soldier's journey through training, war and returning home with "dreams the devil shouldn't see", asking the eternal question "was it worth it to be of service in the end?" "It was a difficult song to write because I had never served and I wanted to honor those who served in a very honest way," Jon said. "I wanted to write something those men and women could be proud of. I was looking for a twist in the lyrics where the soldier who is an idealist, comes back and finds that once they hang up the uniform, the thing that they're so identified by is no longer what identifies them. These men and women come back and have to adjust to being a civilian. They are certainly never going to be the same. I wrote the song and at the very end, I was moved when the soldiers in the film said 'I'd do it again'."

"Luv Can" is a simple prayer, with Jon singing "I wish I could fill your empty/right that wrong/make it fair." While the song on the surface could be taken as romantic love, Jon explains the context as "more spiritual." There's a religious undercurrent here. It doesn't have to just be a relationship. It really can be your Creator." The song ends on a hopeful note, that "luv will let you live again."

That quiet reflection is shaken up with the next track, "Brothers In Arms", which opens with a swampy riff and lyrics of social relevance and a not-so-subtle reference to NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, with Jon singing "don't you step out of line/don't re-write or define/ what it means to see a man take a knee." The song came to Jon while in Alabama during football season, and the lyrics started pouring out. "where's my better days? where's my Jesus saves?" "We all have this shared social experience called America. Who is going to finally bring this nation, to a place where we can all be brothers and sisters? That's what I was thinking when I wrote the song."

"The Story Of Love" touches on the theme of parenthood, opening with the lines "Fathers love daughters like mother love sons." That touching lyric was inspired by Jon's own family. " I sat down to write a song for my children." The song takes a journey through the circle of life, where suddenly the child becomes the parents and the parents are getting older "I realized I was writing it about my entire family, my children, my wife and my parents. From Hello to Goodbye, that's the story of love.

With that beautiful family portrait in mind, Jon then forces the question: what if that family were ripped apart by senseless tragedy? That nightmarish scenario is at the heart of the haunting track "Lower The Flag". The song opens solemnly, "Word just came from Upstate Joe/Lower the flag again/this time it's Dayton, Southwest Ohio/ Last night El Paso, Texas, counted 22 dead." The lyrics then lament that the news cycle will move on before there is even time to grieve, while the narrator questions "what if it was your loved one lying in the ground?" The song simply features Jon on guitar and concludes with the narrator reciting the names of cities caught in the crossfire, including Las Vegas, Nevada, Sandy Hook Elementary, Orlando, Florida, and Columbine. I was thinking, what if it was my own family? Imagine the pain you would feel if it was your wife, your kids, your husband."

With that, Bon Jovi calls for a cleansing of the spirit with "Let It Rain", asking "who is going to stop the rain from falling down?" and reminding us that "wherever there is hurting/ there is healing on the way/like sunshine breaking through a cloudy day." The last verse — "somewhere there's a church bell/ that's summoning the choir/somewhere there's a dreamer who would walk 1,000 miles" is a throwback to the "Young Guns" era. "I hadn't written anything like that in a long time. I like it because of the social justice of it, and taking a stand and saying let's purge ourselves of all of the hurt and hate and division, but who's going to be the one to stop it? Who's going to be the ones that unify us? So, let it rain and let's let the sun shine through."

When those clouds dissipate and the stars come out, the band returns to the personal with "Shine", the penultimate track on the record. A classic BON JOVI love song, it sweetly states "nothing lights up my sky like watching you shine." "You can think of it as your significant other or a child that's grown up in front of you," Jon says of the song.

The album closer, "Blood In The Water", was written in 2018, highlighting the gravity of the lyric "I'm no cable news reporter/ they got nothing new to say/I'm the voice of the new order/ the star of Anarchy today. I'm the comments you keep reading/ at the bottom off the page/I'm real power/I'm a Patriot/I'm a Russian hack by trade."

Captain_jovi 09-04-2020 08:47 PM

I broke down the new lyrics in case anyone wants to skim:

Beautiful Drug: "hear my confession, it's a blessing/ it's a curse" "love is a beautiful drug."

Luv Can: "I wish I could fill your empty/right that wrong/make it fair." "luv will let you live again."

Brothers In Arms: "don't you step out of line/don't re-write or define/ what it means to see a man take a knee." "where's my better days? where's my Jesus saves?"

The Story Of Love: Fathers love daughters like mother love sons." "From Hello to Goodbye, that's the story of love."

Lower The Flag: "Word just came from Upstate Joe/Lower the flag again/this time it's Dayton, Southwest Ohio/ Last night El Paso, Texas, counted 22 dead." "what if it was your loved one lying in the ground?"

Let It Rain: "who is going to stop the rain from falling down?" "wherever there is hurting/ there is healing on the way/like sunshine breaking through a cloudy day." "somewhere there's a church bell/ that's summoning the choir/somewhere there's a dreamer who would walk 1,000 miles"

Shine: "nothing lights up my sky like watching you shine."

Blood in the Water: "I'm no cable news reporter/ they got nothing new to say/I'm the voice of the new order/ the star of Anarchy today. I'm the comments you keep reading/ at the bottom off the page/I'm real power/I'm a Patriot/I'm a Russian hack by trade."

Hands down Blood in the Water's lyrics got me the most excited.

liljovi93 09-04-2020 09:25 PM

Some decent lyrics.

Can't wait for the usual people to complain about them, though.

steel_horse75 09-04-2020 09:32 PM

This album cannot be worse than what my expectations are for it so anything I end up liking is a bonus.At this moment I'm only really interested in Beautiful Drug and Let it rain.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 09-04-2020 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1266622)
Some decent lyrics.

Can't wait for the usual people to complain about them, though.

If you only read Bon Jovi's lyrics from the 80's, there's a lot of "wtf" in moments in there too in terms of too cliché etc, so I'd rather wait till I hear it on the record. Sometimes music, phrasing, pacing and overall delivery changes everything. Even though that's actually my biggest fear :D
For example, some of the stuff on Young Guns II with today's music and vocals would be embarassing as hell, back then, it was made for you rolling down the windows and singing it into the night on top of your lungs :)