Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

steel_horse75 09-19-2020 09:06 AM

2020: The New Album

The wife is a casual Bon Jovi fan in the fact if we’d never met she would think their only songs were bad name, prayer and always.

She was amazed at her first Jovi gig in Milton Keynes in 06 how many people were there and then I pointed out that this was only day 1 and there was another gig the next day!

Point is she knows Jovi very well now after being to about 10 shows....

We listen to radio 2 during the day and they have played limitless , and do what you can . After DWYC She said “that song is sung so horribly, you must be disappointed with those songs they are really average. I’m disappointed and I’m not a die hard fan!”
So I played her the other 2 and she couldn’t believe what the band were releasing now.

I told her this album has 6 songs to save itself and in 2 weeks we will know if this is the worst Jovi album ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Santa Fe 09-19-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266945)
Whole Lot of Leaving is a great country song.

Yes. Good song

YOVANAfromPeru 09-19-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa Fe (Post 1266963)
Yes. Good song

Do you know that Rolo likes that song only because is related with Richie Sambora, right?
>_< Lol...
And RD just need a hug. >_< jaja

rolo_tomachi 09-19-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1266964)
Do you know that Rolo likes that song only because is related with Richie Sambora, right?
>_< Lol...
And RD just need a hug. >_< jaja

Nonsense, Richie didn't even co-write this one. WLOL doesn't sound like country-pop for the radio, it feels like a real country song, not just a catchy melody with violins in the background.

bonjovi90 09-19-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266965)
Nonsense, Richie didn't even co-write this one. WLOL doesn't sound like country-pop for the radio, it feels like a real country song, not just a catchy melody with violins in the background.

Richie: "Whole Lot of Leavin'" was a song I didn't co-write and I still believe Jon was writing about me. Very personal track."

That's what Yovana probably meant.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Xavi 09-19-2020 12:41 PM

Comparing the "country" version of DWYC to the 3 songs that didnt make the final version of the "country"album Lost Highway,Lonely,Put the Boy and Walk like a man give us a sign of Jons decline.
It is embarrasing.

bonjovi90 09-19-2020 01:13 PM

My mum had gone to many of their concerts, but doesn't follow them much anymore because she's into rock music and, well, Jon isn't. So sometimes she finds out about new songs some weeks afterwards.
Yesterday she called to say that she had seen this "new one". Her summary "well, the video is great, if only the music wasn't so boring" :mrgreen:

rolo_tomachi 09-19-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavi (Post 1266967)
Comparing the "country" version of DWYC to the 3 songs that didnt make the final version of the "country"album Lost Highway,Lonely,Put the Boy and Walk like a man give us a sign of Jons decline.
It is embarrasing.

Right, and I wouldn't be surprised if those two songs relegated to Bonus Track (Shine and Luv Can) are better than half the new album.

faith1985 09-19-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1266949)
But why do you feel the need to do that? Are you not confident in your opinion to the point you need validation? If I'm a fan of a song or band, etc I am, I could give two shits if anyone else shares that opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, Deb! Sometimes I do ask people if I am not sure how to feel about something myself but witth music, I like it or not. My opinion can change later but not because someone has got a different opinion about a song or band

Rdkopper 09-19-2020 07:32 PM

I've been reading reviews on YouTube and multiple Facebook postings about DWYC

Most just talk about how inspiring the song is, etc. No one really says that they like the song because it's a great song. Its just more about Jon's message within the song.

The other group who dislike it, mainly dislike it because of Jon's voice.

That's the general consensus out there. And no, I'm not just making that up as a bitter fan either.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Butters 09-19-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1266973)

Most just talk about how inspiring the song is, etc. No one really says that they like the song because it's a great song. Its just more about Jon's message within the song.

That's the general consensus out there. And no, I'm not just making that up as a bitter fan either.

Look, anyone with a workable set of ears knows that Jon cannot sing anymore. Lots of people will be hearing the state of his voice for the first time and will be shocked because they will only know how he used to sound.

Hardcore fans have witnessed his decline over a long period of time now and have adjusted their expectations. It's simply impossible to have a great song from a singer who can't sing. Bon Jovi will never make a great song again but they may make a catchy song or one that's reasonably enjoyable.

bjcrazycpa 09-19-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

I'd never think you were making anything up. I am still surprised you care so much what others think. I love Limitless everyone else hates it and I'm totally fine with that difference of opinion and I still have that song on my top plays right now. I don't go look for people that like it to validate my opinion.

polevka 09-19-2020 07:41 PM

The country version works. Good song!

wichi850262 09-19-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polevka (Post 1266976)
The country version works. Good song!

Yes, it's not surprising yet still amazing that an energetic, dynamic voice can lift a song. I do like it a lot more. We just need Tico to add a real drum line to it.

Ms. Nettles should do the harmonies in all of BJ's other songs on this album now - maybe even a 2nd countryesque album like Lost Highway? I wouldn't say no to that.

rolo_tomachi 09-19-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Why worry so much about the voice when the problem is with the whole song? It sounds like a toy song to me, everything sounds weak boring. If you put the voice of Jon from 1995, it would not improve much, because the main problem with the song is not that. The positive part is the message, ok, but not only a good intention is enough ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1266974)
Look, anyone with a workable set of ears knows that Jon cannot sing anymore. Lots of people will be hearing the state of his voice for the first time and will be shocked because they will only know how he used to sound.

Hardcore fans have witnessed his decline over a long period of time now and have adjusted their expectations. It's simply impossible to have a great song from a singer who can't sing. Bon Jovi will never make a great song again but they may make a catchy song or one that's reasonably enjoyable.

To make a great song you don't need to have a great voice, so what about singers like Dylan or Petty?. They are great composers who end up falling in love more with the lyrics of their songs than with the quality of their voice.
Jon lost his voice, ok, but he also lost his energy, something that has always characterized him, and making great hit songs based on good writing would be the way to go, but for that you have to try hard, be patient, and let them muses be on your side.

Also have to be brave and confident to take that step (Jon, you did These Days). I think Jon can still make great songs (A Teardrop to the Sea), but he seems to take another path (ironically the same as always), a shame.

Hopefully Jon has a couple of aces in the 2020 album.

Butters 09-19-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266978)

To make a great song you don't need to have a great voice, so what about singers like Dylan or Petty?. They are great composers who end up falling in love more with the lyrics of their songs than with the quality of their voice.
Jon lost his voice, ok, but he also lost his energy, something that has always characterized him, and making great hit songs based on good writing would be the way to go, but for that you have to try hard, be patient, and let them muses be on your side.

Also have to be brave and confident to take that step (Jon, you did These Days). I think Jon can still make great songs (A Teardrop to the Sea), but he seems to take another path (ironically the same as always), a shame.

Hopefully Jon has a couple of aces in the 2020 album.

I have no doubt that Jon's vocal decline is the cause of his poor song writing. It's difficult to take risks, be adventerous, and be unique when your main instrument is completely broken.

The guys you are referring to never had a good voice. Jon really did have an amazing voice and the better his voice got (1985 thru 1995), the better his song writing became. It's no suprise that the quality of songwriting is stongly correlated with the quality of (and confidence he has in) his voice.

jon-flp 09-19-2020 11:29 PM

Anyone knows how to watch tonight's show? (Outside US)

Enviado de meu SM-M305M usando o Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 09-19-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1266981)
I have no doubt that Jon's vocal decline is the cause of his poor song writing. It's difficult to take risks, be adventerous, and be unique when your main instrument is completely broken.

The guys you are referring to never had a good voice. Jon really did have an amazing voice and the better his voice got (1985 thru 1995), the better his song writing became. It's no suprise that the quality of songwriting is stongly correlated with the quality of (and confidence he has in) his voice.

Is it though? Burning Bridges had a handful of songs that showed he can still write half decent songs and we all know the state his voice was in in 2015. I think he can do it but just isn't confident enough that it'll sell (but just puts out shlock that still won't sell but is more "accessible" I guess?)

rolo_tomachi 09-19-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1266981)

The written songs of "These Days" era had nothing to do with the vocal moment, but rather, the musical movement and feels that was chewed up those years. However Jon said that despite being a darker album, he had the best moments of his life. The key is to show yourself that you can do something different than what you have done so far. Jon is repeating himself too much, a twist, I just ask for a twist in this eternal loop. Or maybe it's late ... everything is done and we will only have this infinite echo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266986)
Is it though? Burning Bridges had a handful of songs that showed he can still write half decent songs and we all know the state his voice was in in 2015. I think he can do it but just isn't confident enough that it'll sell (but just puts out shlock that still won't sell but is more "accessible" I guess?)

Touché.

rolo_tomachi 09-19-2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon-flp (Post 1266985)
Anyone knows how to watch tonight's show? (Outside US)

That is a good question. I'm still interested in hearing the new songs, if he plays any on iheartradio.

Demonbred 09-20-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1266942)
i'm afraid the best song on the album will not be released as a single

As usual for Bon Jovi

Captain_jovi 09-20-2020 12:46 AM

I mean to be fair it WAS the next single and I think it still will be, other wise it's just an album being released with all the singles have been released already. I guess there's a possibility that with no promo and no tour that's it that's all but they'll need something to keep it afloat until the tour once Do What You Can is done.

angelsambo 09-20-2020 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266989)
That is a good question. I'm still interested in hearing the new songs, if he plays any on iheartradio.

https://www.livexlive.com/live-event...music-festival

jon-flp 09-20-2020 03:09 AM

Never heard Keith Urban before. He sounds very good. I'll give a try for him on my playlists...

EDIT: I created a topic for the iHeart Festival, if it makes more sense talk about it there.

bjcrazycpa 09-20-2020 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon-flp (Post 1267002)
Never heard Keith Urban before. He sounds very good. I'll give a try for him on my playlists...

EDIT: I creat a topic for the iHeart Festival, if it makes more sense talk about it there.

He is quite amazing! Love him!

Rdkopper 09-20-2020 03:58 AM

Was Jovi on yet

united17 09-20-2020 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1267014)
Was Jovi on yet

Yes, opened with Do What You Can w/ Jennifer Nettles.
Lost Highway
Limitless
Bad Name
Who Says

Rdkopper 09-20-2020 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by united17 (Post 1267015)
Yes, opened with Do What You Can w/ Jennifer Nettles.
Lost Highway
Limitless
Bad Name.

I'm listening now. Audio only.

liljovi93 09-20-2020 04:09 AM

That livexlive link doesn't work for me. Any others please?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

united17 09-20-2020 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1267018)
I'm listening now. Audio only.

Not missing much. He’s just standing there with his arms at his side. It’s kinda awkward.

liljovi93 09-20-2020 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by united17 (Post 1267021)
https://www.cwtv.com/thecw/iheart-festival/

using a VPN from outside the US.

Thanks. Will try it

YOVANAfromPeru 09-20-2020 04:12 AM

https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...l-2020-t70745/

Rdkopper 09-20-2020 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1267023)

Thanks!!!!

Rdkopper 09-20-2020 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1267022)
Thanks. Will try it

Wonder why he didn't sing with Jennifer on Who Said.

Rdkopper 09-20-2020 04:23 AM

He's singing somewhat better but don't understand all the random pauses.

I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse ----- I'll ride.

Dead or ----- Aleeeve

Terrible. How can he think its acceptable to stop singing in the middle of a second?

jon-flp 09-20-2020 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1267032)
He's singing somewhat better but don't understand all the random pauses.

I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse ----- I'll ride.

Dead or ----- Aleeeve

Terrible. How can he think its acceptable to stop singing in the middle of a second?

He needs to breath and that's the only way he found. And yes, it annoys me a lot too.

Rdkopper 09-20-2020 04:35 AM

I missed the first couple of songs but what I did catch was beyond boring. I get there was no audience but at least fake it and move around a little. It felt like a soundcheck.

Everything is just so wrong now a days. There is nothing redeeming anymore.

YOVANAfromPeru 09-20-2020 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1267028)
Thanks!!!!

Forget it!

Jonny Sambora 09-20-2020 09:32 AM

https://youtu.be/PVdTmRBv6kQ

link to the performance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thinny 09-20-2020 11:23 AM

What a completely lifeless performance. No energy at all. I get that there's no audience but why does that mean you can't put on a show!? At least Jennifer looked like she was enjoying herself!