Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Johny 02-20-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa Fe (Post 1261767)
The song needs a solo

No it doesn't. We don't need the song.

A solo won't turn it into a good song.

Dave88 02-20-2020 02:26 PM

Even with a monster solo, it would still be e a shitty song.

There're so many areas that would need to be fixed... songwriting, vocals, atmosphere, overall production. Basically everything.

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa Fe (Post 1261767)
The song needs a solo

Needs real drums, better chorus, lose that awful bridge part, have decent lyrics, have riffs over twang.....then add the solo....then you might have a good song.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 02-20-2020 03:06 PM

The song is pretty meh. Verses are strong, chorus isn't great, subject matter is treaded over time and time again. First and second verse are basically the same thing just reworded.

THAT BEING SAID, half the people who are "done with the band" because of this are the same people who have been "done with the band" every time a new first single comes out. Some of them have even been "done with the band" multiple times in this thread alone. I'll never understand that.

liljovi93 02-20-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1261773)
The song is pretty meh. Verses are strong, chorus isn't great, subject matter is treaded over time and time again. First and second verse are basically the same thing just reworded.

THAT BEING SAID, half the people who are "done with the band" because of this are the same people who have been "done with the band" every time a new first single comes out. Some of them have even been "done with the band" multiple times in this thread alone. I'll never understand that.

Yeah, it does my head in reading this all the time too. The same people on twitter are the same. I've never said I'm finished with the band and I won't be because I know they can still produce 2-3 quality songs on an album. I know I still enjoy their shows when I see them too.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 02-20-2020 03:12 PM

Why subject yourself to the same torture of pretending you might like something you've hated since Crush onwards, and in some cases These Days forward. Life is way too short.

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 03:30 PM

20/20: The New Album

This album has 8 more songs. They can’t be as bad as the 2 released.

Is unbroken seriously track 2? Let’s say for arguments sake that track 1 is a belter of a tune then track 2 is a serious mood kill.

This is first time I’m not pre-ordering from one of my fav bands.
I’ll listen on social media on the day and if I like 3 songs I’ll consider buying it just to put it in the collection with the others.

Did the same with the recent Green Day and so far not bought it yet.

semigoodlooking 02-20-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1261773)

Admittedly this thread is massive, but who has said they are done with the band?

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1261779)
Admittedly this thread is massive, but who has said they are done with the band?

If I say I’m done with the band it’s I’m done as in liking/pre-ordering new material. I still have the first 6 albums to cuddle in bed every night.

vidda 02-20-2020 03:49 PM

I listened to it and it's more than I had expected so I'm really positevely surprised. Maybe my expectations were too low, but for me, that I don't usually speak English. anda don't pay much attention to lyrics, anda regarding Jon's voice sounds ok for me, and the melody reminds me somewhat of the old jovi, I like it; I thought I wouldn't but this is me reality.
In regards to the no solo I cant understand people who think that the band is always the sane cliché when a no solo is a change. ..well it was since nowadays are less present in somos.

Captain_jovi 02-20-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1261780)
If I say I’m done with the band it’s I’m done as in liking/pre-ordering new material. I still have the first 6 albums to cuddle in bed every night.

So go enjoy them. "This is first time I’m not pre-ordering from one of my fav bands" "This is the first album I'm not buying" "No solo will save this song". New BJ ain't for you. It's barely for me but at what point do we stop shoving our opinions down everyone's throats. All for discussing but holy hell is it hard to have discussions when it's downers everywhere.

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1261783)
So go enjoy them. "This is first time I’m not pre-ordering from one of my fav bands" "This is the first album I'm not buying" "No solo will save this song". New BJ ain't for you. It's barely for me but at what point do we stop shoving our opinions down everyone's throats. All for discussing but holy hell is it hard to have discussions when it's downers everywhere.

I don’t mind verses. That’s a positive!
It’s a bj forum. If people can’t view their dislike/like for bj related stuff where can they?
If people love it then great, tell us why.

liljovi93 02-20-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1261783)

Someone called him out on Twitter about repeating himself too.

As you said, I can speak and debate or whatever all day but sometimes it's just people saying the same thing over and over again.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Rdkopper 02-20-2020 04:09 PM

I think these past few albums are nothing more than John Shanks albums featuring JBJ on vocals...

I honestly believe that Shanks does 90% of the album. Not just the production but writing the music, riffs, melodies, etc... Probably even writes 1/2 the lyrics too. Jon gets handed an almost completed song and just adds his own touch to personalize it.

Captain_jovi 02-20-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1261784)
I don’t mind verses. That’s a positive!
It’s a bj forum. If people can’t view their dislike/like for bj related stuff where can they?
If people love it then great, tell us why.

On the flip, if you dislike it tell us why. After that point it's just repeating it over and over and over. I don't love this song, I hardly like it but you won't find me chiming in again and again about how the band is terrible now and the song is unsavable. I still want to be excited and discuss the new album with people who want to discuss things. Is it just me here?

Captain_jovi 02-20-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1261786)
I think these past few albums are nothing more than John Shanks albums featuring JBJ on vocals...

I honestly believe that Shanks does 90% of the album. Not just the production but writing the music, riffs, melodies, etc... Probably even writes 1/2 the lyrics too. Jon gets handed an almost completed song and just adds his own touch to personalize it.

I think Pollstar said the album was written primarily by Jon so let's see!

Rdkopper 02-20-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1261788)
I think Pollstar said the album was written primarily by Jon so let's see!

Lyrics... But that's the easy part. And judging by these, he put half an effort into them...

Coming up with the music, chorus, melodies, etc, if the difficult part.

Those days of sitting down with two acoustic guitars working off a title are long gone.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1261786)

I think you’re bang on.

Jack27 02-20-2020 04:42 PM

Probably coincidence...but did anyone spot the release date 20 02 (2020)

Captain_jovi 02-20-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1261789)
Lyrics... But that's the easy part. And judging by these, he put half an effort into them...

Coming up with the music, chorus, melodies, etc, if the difficult part.

Those days of sitting down with two acoustic guitars working off a title are long gone.

According to the podcast Shanks just did that's exactly how they still write. I see the angle you're coming from. I still hear Jon-isms throughout the melodies and chord structures. For sure Shanks was an equal contributor to this one but I don't believe Jon is handed 95 percent of the work done.

rolo_tomachi 02-20-2020 04:51 PM

Well, well, well. Quiet, this is what it is.

The instrumental had things that I liked and was covered by the voice, and since there is no guitar solo, I have made some adjustments with both tracks and I have create an extended version using the riff and the guitars so that it fits like a guitar solo. At least it looks more like a rock song.

Limitless (extended)

It would be interesting for someone who knows how to make good guitar solos, record one on this track, as that boy did with "We Weren't Born to Follow", or even better, we send the song to Richie or Phil for do the guitar solo.

Santa Fe 02-20-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1261769)

Probably you are right

wichi850262 02-20-2020 05:33 PM

On the flip, if you dislike it tell us why. After that point it's just repeating it over and over and over. I don't love this song, I hardly like it but you won't find me chiming in again and again about how the band is terrible now and the song is unsavable. I still want to be excited and discuss the new album with people who want to discuss things. Is it just me here?

Spot on!

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wichi850262 (Post 1261796)

Spot on!

On average 35 posts a year since you joined suggests you contribute **** all !

polevka 02-20-2020 06:14 PM

I really like the cover.
It is different and it still has a good chance to represent the album adequately.

Captain_jovi 02-20-2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1261797)
On average 35 posts a year since you joined suggests you contribute **** all !

Give me 35 quality posts a year over 35 posts a day about how unhappy you are with something.

This is not worth arguing over, we disagree, I'd rather talk about the band.

Xavi 02-20-2020 07:00 PM

I think it is going to be the first time,since 1995,that Im not going to buy a BJ album the day of the release.
Ill buy it later,when,instead of 20 euros,it will cost 6 or 7.

Kathleen 02-20-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1261769)

I have to agree - and I'm not usually the negative one around here :(

Santa Fe 02-20-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polevka (Post 1261799)
I really like the cover.
It is different and it still has a good chance to represent the album adequately.

And what about the rest of the band ?

Kevs 02-20-2020 07:19 PM

I certainly don't love it but its ok as its probably what I expected. The instrumental had given me more hope. It sounds more like a bonus track but like one we had before. I will still buy the new album

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polevka (Post 1261799)
I really like the cover.

Agree.It’s not a Bon Jovi album
It’s a Jon Bon Jovi album so the covers perfect.

Rdkopper 02-20-2020 08:08 PM

The more I listen to it, the more its growing on me however it still doesn't change the fact that it's just recycled material and carries nothing more than just bonus-track standards.

I like Take Back The Night (which is another comparable song) for what it was which was a bonus track. If it was the lead single, I'd hate it...

Same with this song. If this was track 11, I'd be down with it but as a representation of the album, its awful.

JackieBlue 02-20-2020 08:37 PM

I don't hate it, but I can't say I love it. To me, it sounds like much of what was on THINFS, which I still think is okay; and maybe a little like some of Burning Bridges. At first I didn't think there were any background vocals but I finally heard some in the chorus - way too low in the mix for my taste.

That said, it's miles better than Unbroken and Work for the Working Man, which are the only 2 Bon Jovi or BJ-related solo songs that I can honestly say I don't like at all.

Regarding the "cover": if that really is the album cover, I think it says a lot about the state of the band. But that doesn't say nearly as much as the fact that, unless I missed it, neither Phil-X nor David has said word one about the song being released today on Twitter or IG. Something tells me they aren't terribly excited about it.

angelsambo 02-20-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincrash0815 (Post 1261765)
I'm a huge fan since 1991 but this song...i don't like it!!!

Where a the guitars and the real drums? The guitars are silent ...

in the closet since 2005

Captain_jovi 02-20-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1261810)
in the closet since 2005

*2000 I'd say. Crush and Bounce weren't very guitar heavy. Bounce was but probably more-so but had as many solos as HAND did.

steel_horse75 02-20-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1261809)
I don't hate it, but I can't say I love it. To me, it sounds like much of what was on THINFS, which I still think is okay; and maybe a little like some of Burning Bridges. At first I didn't think there were any background vocals but I finally heard some in the chorus - way too low in the mix for my taste.

That said, it's miles better than Unbroken and Work for the Working Man, which are the only 2 Bon Jovi or BJ-related solo songs that I can honestly say I don't like at all.

Regarding the "cover": if that really is the album cover, I think it says a lot about the state of the band. But that doesn't say nearly as much as the fact that, unless I missed it, neither Phil-X nor David has said word one about the song being released today on Twitter or IG. Something tells me they aren't terribly excited about it.

Was thinking the same re david and Phil. They've not tweeted about it. They Probably found out when we did that it was released.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 02-20-2020 09:20 PM

I wonder if all the band will be in the video or just JBJ.

Alphavictim 02-20-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1261728)
I think Jon releases an album with 10 songs because maybe he will release another album at the end of 2021 to have an ace up his sleeve for a future tour in 2022.

I've heard that record labels usually only pay for 10 tracks nowadays. They probably didn't feel like doing free padding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1261715)
See? Not even the strongest of studio effects can help Jon anymore.

Not that he cares, obviously - continuing to do all this crap of course keeps the money machine rolling, and that's where the importance is at, eh?

I'm sorry, this is absolutely pathetic. Not wanting to be cruel, but Jon's clearly sold himself out for good both as a singer and a songwriter.

PS. Thank f*ck Rosa doesn't come around here anymore... she'd probably literally kill me for this comment :D

Of course he cares. He doesn't sound like this live, does he?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1261718)

Do you remember what the track Phil X said was his favorite was called? I think he just gave the acronym, but we should know what that means by that now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1261811)
*2000 I'd say. Crush and Bounce weren't very guitar heavy. Bounce was but probably more-so but had as many solos as HAND did.

Lost Highway had plenty of solos from what I remember.

Let me blow everybody's mind: The composition is perfectly fine. The chorus would need to be an octave higher, and the rest of the music would need to not drown out the vocal that much. It would be a pleasant enough radio pop/rock track that way. As it is, it sounds a little overblown for what it is. We know why neither an octave jump nor sparse instrumentation that let the vocal shine are an option at this point. But the melody is not bad at all. Not first single material, but it's a pretty enough song. Also, it doesn't sound like a lesser version of a great song we've heard before (which THINFS was).

...actually: I've felt this way before the vocal was added, and now "on a NIIIIGHT like this" reminds me of "breathe IIIIN, breathe OOOUT" quite a bit.

Captain_jovi 02-20-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1261814)
I've heard that record labels usually only pay for 10 tracks nowadays. They probably didn't feel like doing free padding.

Of course he cares. He doesn't sound like this live, does he?

Do you remember what the track Phil X said was his favorite was called? I think he just gave the acronym, but we should know what that means by that now.

Lost Highway had plenty of solos from what I remember.

Let me blow everybody's mind: The composition is perfectly fine. The chorus would need to be an octave higher, and the rest of the music would need to not drown out the vocal that much. It would be a pleasant enough radio pop/rock track that way. As it is, it sounds a little overblown for what it is. We know why neither an octave jump nor sparse instrumentation that let the vocal shine are an option at this point. But the melody is not bad at all. Not first single material, but it's a pretty enough song. Also, it doesn't sound like a lesser version of a great song we've heard before (which THINFS was).

...actually: I've felt this way before the vocal was added, and now "on a NIIIIGHT like this" reminds me of "breathe IIIIN, breathe OOOUT" quite a bit.

Acronym was LIABD and I think we decided it could be "Love Is A Beautiful Drug".

Captain_jovi 02-20-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1261813)
I wonder if all the band will be in the video or just JBJ.

Phil posted a pic of his guitar that he plays in an "upcoming Bon Jovi video" so it's either that or the second single.