Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   This Left Feels Right (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=45830)

Crushgen24/88 07-04-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 856469)
I NEVER have that urge . . . never ever . . . never ever ever! At this very moment, I'm listening to a bootleg of the acoustic concert in Yokohama that was supposed to be released instead. Do you know how bitter that makes me? Sure Jon had a cold. Big fat hairy deal. It is still SO much better than those horrible cover versions they did of their own damn songs! I swear, if anyone else had done that, they should have been trying to figure out if there was some way they could sue.

And don't even bring up that lounge lizard version of Bed of Roses. Those of us in the U.S. got THAT version of BoR during the tour instead of the gorgeous real one. By the end of the U.S. leg, I was sitting down during that song in protest.

(Of course, in spite of all that hate, I still own 2 copies of TLFR. The first one that I bought before I knew I hated it, and the second one that I HAD to get because it came with a DVD that included a few songs from the Yokohama show. Oh, and I have the DVD from the Borgata, too, which somehow isn't quite as bad as the CD. Sheesh. "Sucker" is written on my forehead, isn't it?)

-Retrospect is 50/50. People would bitch about him being sick, and not sounding good.

-Ugggh, TLFR BoR. Rape. Nuff' said.

-I like the TLFR DVD, it beats the hell out of the album.

Crushgen24/88 07-04-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrleaf (Post 856481)
I do like parts of the Album for 1 Its my life is just insanely good way better than the orig and when it was done with All American Rejects for the Unplugged concert it just gave me shivers hearing it ,that version is up there with Hallalujah in my books.

I LOVE those two tracks.
Have a bootleg of the Unplugged show just for those.

crashed 07-04-2008 10:18 AM

I like a few of the songs - Wanted, Always, It's My Life.

I'll Be There For you is the worst. Robs the song of all the power that made it great.

I think if they had just the Borgata as a one off concert, and did that and released it as a live album they'd have got a lot more respect and kudo's for this.

As it is though - releasing it as an alternate greatest hits version - it just didn't work.

I'd have loved the Yokohama acoustic album instead - and the problem is the bootleg of that sucks quality wise. I'd love to hear a decent Soundboard version of it.

I still think Jovi should do a full acoustic album of new songs and maybe even an acoustic tour as well, but no TLFR versions, just proper stripped back acoustic ones.

SmirkSteve 07-04-2008 12:02 PM

Prompted by this thread I listened to TLFR on the way to work this morning as all the postivity was making me think I had been too harsh in the past. I now know why I haven' listened to it in over a year - it's pretty bloody awful, and for me to say that about a Bon Jovi album is like the devil going ice skating!

I find it very very weak, souless and lacking in the passion that makes Bon Jovi so great to listen to. Bad Name is an absolute disaster and Prayer is like a really bad karaoke duet. I have to disagree with Always being good too - just at the point where it should really kick in and the emotion should be let free, it dies, and waddles along like a wet weekend.

I never realised until reading this thread that Yokohama Acoustic was the orginally intended release - sure wish they'd stuck with their plans.

Kudos to them for trying something different, but it didn't work, at all!

Chica Guacamole 07-04-2008 02:03 PM

My fiend and I went to a restaurant with my parents before the Glasgow gig and they were playing TLFR. Nobody seemed to really like it, I think somebody actually asked the waiter to put on "some real Bon Jovi". I like the DVD, but the album itself lacks any real power. It's kinda sad when you consider that the songs are actually good in the first place.

milomom 07-04-2008 03:01 PM

This discussion broke out yesterday while I was at work, and I weighed in with my thoughts based on memory. And admittedly, the last time I listened to TLFR was quite awhile ago. So, to be fair, I tried to listen to it when I got home. I didn't listen to the songs in full -- that would have been going too far -- just long enough that I remembered why I detested (or liked) them.

Okay, I admit it, I do like IML. I had forgotten (or maybe blocked out) that TLFR is where that version of it comes from. I have a question, though. Was that version actually NEW for TLFR? I thought they were doing something like that version at some of the concerts in the aftermath of 9/11, but I don't have a version in my iTunes that's older than TLFR. (It's possible that I was thinking of the version of Prayer that they did.) Does anyone remember? This is now bugging me.

And I'm really sorry and ashamed to admit it, but for some strange reason, I don't hate Bad Medicine. I have no idea why, because I really should! LOL But I actually listened to most of it last night. Isn't that a ringing endorsement?

Oh, does anyone else think that parts of Bad Name sound an awful lot like Stray Cat Strut? (Yes, I'm OLD.)

Other than those 2 songs (1 that I like a lot and 1 that I don't hate), the rest is horrendous, IMO. I'll take the no-so-great bootleg from Yokohama any day.

hometownboy 07-04-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 856801)
This discussion broke out yesterday while I was at work, and I weighed in with my thoughts based on memory. And admittedly, the last time I listened to TLFR was quite awhile ago. So, to be fair, I tried to listen to it when I got home. I didn't listen to the songs in full -- that would have been going too far -- just long enough that I remembered why I detested (or liked) them.

Okay, I admit it, I do like IML. I had forgotten (or maybe blocked out) that TLFR is where that version of it comes from. I have a question, though. Was that version actually NEW for TLFR? I thought they were doing something like that version at some of the concerts in the aftermath of 9/11, but I don't have a version in my iTunes that's older than TLFR. (It's possible that I was thinking of the version of Prayer that they did.) Does anyone remember? This is now bugging me.

And I'm really sorry and ashamed to admit it, but for some strange reason, I don't hate Bad Medicine. I have no idea why, because I really should! LOL But I actually listened to most of it last night. Isn't that a ringing endorsement?

Oh, does anyone else think that parts of Bad Name sound an awful lot like Stray Cat Strut? (Yes, I'm OLD.)

Other than those 2 songs (1 that I like a lot and 1 that I don't hate), the rest is horrendous, IMO. I'll take the no-so-great bootleg from Yokohama any day.

As far as i know that version of it's my life was new for TFLR , at the concert for new york they played an acoustic version of prayer but the normal rock version of it's my life and wanted.

milomom 07-04-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometownboy (Post 856804)
As far as i know that version of it's my life was new for TFLR , at the concert for new york they played an acoustic version of prayer but the normal rock version of it's my life and wanted.

Yeah, I have that CD, too. That's what made me think that I might be confusing it with Prayer. But there was also a TV telethon thing held very shortly after 9/11, and I'm pretty sure Bon Jovi (or maybe just Jon & Richie) performed. I don't remember what they did, though. I'd have sworn it was that IML, but I'm probably wrong.

crashed 07-04-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 856807)
Yeah, I have that CD, too. That's what made me think that I might be confusing it with Prayer. But there was also a TV telethon thing held very shortly after 9/11, and I'm pretty sure Bon Jovi (or maybe just Jon & Richie) performed. I don't remember what they did, though. I'd have sworn it was that IML, but I'm probably wrong.

I remember they tried an acoustic of IML for a radio show but it didn't work very well, and that was Crush era I think.

First I've heard of that version was definitely TLFR.

Sami 07-04-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 856801)

I guess then Iīm old, too...
I donīt know if these songs sound like each other but I do like Stray Cat Strut a lot. The best Stray Cats song ever IMO.

I donīt like TLFR, played it once when I bought it.