Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Closest we get to Sex Sells (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70518)

morphine 03-11-2019 03:28 PM

Closest we get to Sex Sells

I am looking for the raw audience recording of Bwjbj 10th Anniversary Bash, Fairway Manor, 28th August 1998 in order to compile a copy of Sex Sells solo album for my personal collection. The only place that's available is Youtube which is also remastered in a way and 320kbps as its best. I've tried to contact the video uploader hAnd90. He said he doesn't sell his remasters. So the only place left seemed Jamtothis.com which is closed down since the beginning of 2019. There is no archived way to check the username of uploader. There is another trade website, Bonjovi.cz which says it's only allowed to trade but not to sell. So it renders me desperate. I've been planning of having a Sex Sells bootleg with the cover as seen on the Real Life ads. I know there is no way to reach the preproduction demos, but I thought at least the listening party would be enough. But now I have to deal with compressed Mp3s which really dismotivates me. Please let me know if you have any of the recording. And for the last, please don't tell me to go and collect each song from boxset or leaked recordings, that's not the way it's meant.

Captain_jovi 03-11-2019 03:41 PM

That bootleg has been in circulation for decades, are you saying a better quality one is out there as of 2017?

That is going to be the closest we'll ever come to hearing the song I think. Keep in mind a LOT of what those demos were ended up in the box set, some recorded and some the exact same version. Even if there's a FLAC rip of the version everyone has it's not going to take out the chatter and crowd noise sadly.

morphine 03-11-2019 04:04 PM

I exactly mean it. I mean 2017 version is on Youtube which compresses one more time. I wonder if the 2017 version has a raw FLAC copy. The Fairway manor audience recording.

bonjovi90 03-11-2019 04:07 PM

I assume that's the one that's being talked about. It's nothing else than the version that's been circulating for two decades amongst fans.
The original pre-production CD never leaked.

morphine 03-11-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251512)
Jon Bon Jovi - Sex Sells Demos (Listening Party / New Jersey 1998) - YouTube

I assume that's the one that's being talked about. It's nothing else than the version that's been circulating for two decades amongst fans.
The original pre-production CD never leaked.

I know the video. I want to get to the source of the video, right befor it was compressed by Youtube. The original Fairway minor audience recordings. There seems to be one, a torrent file on the website JamToThis but it is closed by now.

bonjovi90 03-11-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphine (Post 1251514)
I know the video. I want to get to the source of the video, right befor it was compressed by Youtube. The original Fairway minor audience recordings. There seems to be one, a torrent file on the website JamToThis but it is closed by now.

Ah didn't realize that JamToThis had closed down:puppydog:
You could try contacting the uploader of the video, he probably has these files. But I'm not sure if the Youtube messaging function still works, I think they disbanded that at some point last year.

morphine 03-11-2019 04:28 PM

Thank you for the reply. The uploader is hAnd90, quite known Youtuber. He replies some of the messages, let's wait and see. When I get home, I will try to get the username of the poster of the forum.

bonjovi90 03-11-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphine (Post 1251518)
Thank you for the reply. The uploader is hAnd90, quite known Youtuber. He replies some of the messages, let's wait and see. When I get home, I will try to get the username of the poster of the forum.

As far as I know, he's not a member here. Don't about other boards though.

morphine 03-11-2019 05:57 PM

OK. I have updated the post, added a few details. Thank you everyone.

YOVANAfromPeru 03-11-2019 07:07 PM

Lol.......

Captain_jovi 03-11-2019 09:17 PM

I know I was the one that mentioned the box set. My point wasn't for you to use those, I'm just saying the bootleg is just the songs being played over a crowd of people and half the album already exists in perfect quality as the exact same recordings. If I see anything about the flac files I'll let you know for sure!

morphine 03-11-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251541)
I know I was the one that mentioned the box set. My point wasn't for you to use those, I'm just saying the bootleg is just the songs being played over a crowd of people and half the album already exists in perfect quality as the exact same recordings. If I see anything about the flac files I'll let you know for sure!

Then I am sorry. I thought someone else, not on the forum, had mentioned the box set and the forum could do the same. I should have check. Apologies. Mine is some kind of an obsession, I actually don't like the idea of compilations. As less as source is the best. That's the same reason I prefer the NJ double demo disc to the released one. The same goes for Crush, I like the things the state they were intended. And I secretly prefer Sex Sales to Crush too. Sex Sells is all necessary Crush songs and some unique demos. And even I have to make a complation album, it sure has to be all original masters straight from the studio. I insisted on that crappy audience recording because it was all planned as one. Thank you for your opinion by the way, I get your way. Cheers.

YOVANAfromPeru 03-11-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphine (Post 1251542)
Mine is some kind of an obsession, I actually don't like the idea of compilations. As less as source is the best. That's the same reason I prefer the NJ double demo disc to the released one.

When Rdkopper met Obie last year he already asked "for a Sex Sells / Crush double album similar to Sons Of Beaches..."

I mean, we're talking about 60 songs...
but of course everything is up to JBJ, I guess...

Captain_jovi 03-11-2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphine (Post 1251542)
Then I am sorry. I thought someone else, not on the forum, had mentioned the box set and the forum could do the same. I should have check. Apologies. Mine is some kind of an obsession, I actually don't like the idea of compilations. As less as source is the best. That's the same reason I prefer the NJ double demo disc to the released one. The same goes for Crush, I like the things the state they were intended. And I secretly prefer Sex Sales to Crush too. Sex Sells is all necessary Crush songs and some unique demos. And even I have to make a complation album, it sure has to be all original masters straight from the studio. I insisted on that crappy audience recording because it was all planned as one. Thank you for your opinion by the way, I get your way. Cheers.

Hmm I don't think I understand. The versions on the box set ARE the way they were intended. Those are the original masters straight from the studio. You're looking for the flac versions of songs played through a speaker and then recorded on, I assume, cassette and converted digital. I mean if that's what your after, totally, cool, I just don't know why.

bonjovi90 03-11-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251546)
Hmm I don't think I understand. The versions on the box set ARE the way they were intended. Those are the original masters straight from the studio. You're looking for the flac versions of songs played through a speaker and then recorded on, I assume, cassette and converted digital. I mean if that's what your after, totally, cool, I just don't know why.

Yeah, that's the way I see it as well. Other than Older which logically was reworked when it became Just Older, the later released versions of that playlist were pretty much the same as what was played over the PA.
It wasn't a finished, coherent album to begin with. Jon was fishing as to what to do next and they just had a bunch of then-finished songs playing in no particular order with the request for the fans to rate them. Listening to it, I think it's clear that there wasn't any clear artistic view behind it (yet) as it had been the case with Destination Anywhere.
I, for one, am happy that this album never materialized. The sound direction has never been my cup of tea, that's probably why I don't really like I'm Your Man from Burning Bridges either.

YOVANAfromPeru 03-12-2019 01:27 AM

I always loved You Can't Lose At Love (It's My Life single)...

Nige 03-12-2019 02:00 AM

I've got a FLAC/CD of this kicking around - I'll dig it out for you.

morphine 03-12-2019 02:30 AM

I think I like the idea of demo and unfinished work. On the boxset release, there is sudden volume gain as in many +2005s records, feels much professional. I mean We Rule The Night would have sounded much more amateur and weaker if it was released on 7800. You can compare it to the original vinyl rips of the album itself. And as for the Sex Sells demo, it's something so undesired that no one's asking for. That's why it's so special to me, yes I am a wierd man, I like the recordings over a speaker and noise. And I will try to remaster in my own wicked ways, then make a fake artwork as it's on the Real Life billboard. Then treat it as a lost album, it's just a stupid fantasy overall. And that would satisfy my needs as I don't get along with the popularity they've gained with Crush. So no 'It's My Life' b..s.. and an obscure, a clumsy follow up to the underrated Destination Anywhere. Also there is less Sambora which makes it more appealing for me.

morphine 03-12-2019 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1251550)
I've got a FLAC/CD of this kicking around - I'll dig it out for you.

I'd be so so happy with it. My mail is cinartem9203@gmail.com, you'd be my hero.

Captain_jovi 03-12-2019 05:09 AM

Gotcha. I think going from MP3 to the Flac files.....it'll sound a bit better but it'd take a wizard with a time machine to make it anything decipherable. If it helps any:

Older: Re-recorded with the band
Save the World: Re-recorded with the band
Rich man: A completely different take was used for the box set
Real Life: Re-recorded with the band
I Got the Girl: Re-recorded with the band
Shadow Dancing: Never turned up anywhere
Good Aint Good Enough:
Gimme Some: Exact same version released under the Bon Jovi name
You can't Lose at Love: Exact same version released under the Bon Jovi name

Crazy Love gets mentioned as supposed to be played but was pulled. I love this era. To me it really helps bridge the gap between Destination Anywhere and gap and almost makes it make sense. Would love it if Life's Too Short For Days Like These pops up one day.

Nige 03-12-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251555)
Gotcha. I think going from MP3 to the Flac files.....it'll sound a bit better but it'd take a wizard with a time machine to make it anything decipherable. If it helps any:

Older: Re-recorded with the band
Save the World: Re-recorded with the band
Rich man: A completely different take was used for the box set
Real Life: Re-recorded with the band
I Got the Girl: Re-recorded with the band
Shadow Dancing: Never turned up anywhere
Good Aint Good Enough:
Gimme Some: Exact same version released under the Bon Jovi name
You can't Lose at Love: Exact same version released under the Bon Jovi name

Crazy Love gets mentioned as supposed to be played but was pulled. I love this era. To me it really helps bridge the gap between Destination Anywhere and gap and almost makes it make sense. Would love it if Life's Too Short For Days Like These pops up one day.

Crazy Love was on the list of songs played for people to rate, but they never played it - it was deliberately skipped to make sure people were paying attention.

Captain_jovi 03-12-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1251560)
Crazy Love was on the list of songs played for people to rate, but they never played it - it was deliberately skipped to make sure people were paying attention.

Was it? I thought I recalled the MC saying how it was on the list but got skipped because it wasn't ready/Jon wanted to add a guitar solo? Or was that just said as a joke.

rolo_tomachi 03-12-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251555)
Would love it if Life's Too Short For Days Like These pops up one day.

Yep. I would swear there was a song called sex sells too. I would like to see all that material was released, gimme some is rocking.

Captain_jovi 03-12-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1251572)
Yep. I would swear there was a song called sex sells too. I would like to see all that material was released, gimme some is rocking.

There was. A version of Jons was recorded, then a band version but when that didn't make the cut is when the title changed to One Wild Night before it was Crush. VERY curious to hear that one.

bonjovi90 03-12-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251575)
There was. A version of Jons was recorded, then a band version but when that didn't make the cut is when the title changed to One Wild Night before it was Crush. VERY curious to hear that one.

Pretty sure I have that song, it was played at the listening party as well. Don't know why it was left off from the "released" bootleg :)

BJFan99 03-12-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphine (Post 1251527)
OK. I have updated the post, added a few details. Thank you everyone.

Morphine, you just talked to the uploader :D Dominik a.k.a bonjovi90 is hAnD90 on YouTube...

jon-flp 03-12-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251576)
Pretty sure I have that song, it was played at the listening party as well. Don't know why it was left off from the "released" bootleg :)

I'm already updating your page on youtube waiting for the next release...:D

F5,F5,F5,F5....:mrgreen:

bonjovi90 03-12-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon-flp (Post 1251578)
I'm already updating your page on youtube waiting for the next release...:D

F5,F5,F5,F5....:mrgreen:

There's nothing in the pipeline at the moment, so save your F5 button some trouble :D

rolo_tomachi 03-12-2019 05:48 PM

http://www.mtv.com/news/1426295/bon-...-fans-in-june/

Captain_jovi 03-12-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251576)

Are you sure? I know Rich Man was left off of some released versions.

bonjovi90 03-12-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251581)
Are you sure? I know Rich Man was left off of some released versions.

Not entirely, to be honest. I thought I had a very bad mp3 copy of that song, but I may be mistaken or it may have been mislabeled. Gotta check my vaults when I'm back home.

Nige 03-12-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1251572)

There was, a further to the above info it was left off as it was too similar to OWN and Sex Sells was deemed to be the weaker of the two. Which, knowing how good Jon is at picking songs sometimes, suggested SS is probably better than OWN.

Would love to hear it - it must have been good to be a contender for the title track.

YOVANAfromPeru 03-12-2019 10:51 PM

I remember JBJ saying: “Initially, it was going to be called 'Sex Sells'. With 60 songs, that one fell off the ladder. Then we were going to call it 'One Wild Night', but it felt more like the title of a live record. At the 11th hour, 'Crush' came up.”

Captain_jovi 03-12-2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251587)
Not entirely, to be honest. I thought I had a very bad mp3 copy of that song, but I may be mistaken or it may have been mislabeled. Gotta check my vaults when I'm back home.

I feel like if a version of SS was "out there" someone would have it by now. It's been chased after for years for sure. What a treat it'd be if you DID have it all this time haha.

bonjovi90 03-12-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251593)
I feel like if a version of SS was "out there" someone would have it by now. It's been chased after for years for sure. What a treat it'd be if you DID have it all this time haha.

I know I had a file titled like that but I'm more and more starting to feel that it was simply some other song from the listening party that was mistitled.

bonjovi90 03-12-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1251589)
I remember JBJ saying: “Initially, it was going to be called 'Sex Sells'. With 60 songs, that one fell off the ladder. Then we were going to call it 'One Wild Night', but it felt more like the title of a live record. At the 11th hour, 'Crush' came up.”

And then, Richie and JBJ added: "Much like SWW, it means nothing and it means everything. A girl might say 'I got a crush on you', the drunk at the bar might say 'I got crushed last night', a person at the concert goes 'woah, they crushed me last night'".

bonjovi90 03-13-2019 12:50 AM

Fredrik 03-13-2019 01:44 PM

I have the original bootleg with audience recording and I've had it for ages as mp3. Quite lousy quality and if it's been compressed several times is hard to say, my hunch would say no but at work right now so can't give it a listen.

steel_horse75 03-13-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1251589)
'One Wild Night', but it felt more like the title of a live record.

How disappointing was that when it came out!

Rdkopper 03-14-2019 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1251521)
As far as I know, he's not a member here. Don't about other boards though.

Really? Lol...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk