Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sex Sells (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=52912)

Captain_jovi 05-10-2011 02:03 AM

I meant as far as b-sides go. The only instances of Jon songs repackaged as band songs.

FWIW I was the one who brought it to the table that it was Bobby playing the solo, not Richie. Someone ran with it and then asked Bobby who confirmed it.

....I have few things to brag about in life, let me have this..

bounce442 05-10-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1049855)
....I have few things to brag about in life, let me have this..

Ha Ha I will forever give you credit if I am ever unfortunate enough to ever have to explain this :)

heart&dagger 05-10-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1049772)
Not a dumb question at all! It was released worldwide afaik, and Jon isn't in it.

Read here ---> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131369/

Interesting in many ways, for example the director being Ron Howard and the actors are surprising, as well.

Thank you very much ...

Simon 05-10-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1049852)
That's something i also thought when I heard the first version of 'We weren't born to follow' before richie redid the solo. Though there's no comfirmation on that one while 'Wildflower' was comfirmed by Bobby.....

He confirmed it? Well, it's obvious judgung by the sound. That's why I never liked it so much, even though it's not bad.

WWBTF sounds nothing BB would play, and I'm not talking about the solo. It's all Richie style.

Captain_jovi 05-10-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 1049903)
He confirmed it? Well, it's obvious judgung by the sound. That's why I never liked it so much, even though it's not bad.

WWBTF sounds nothing BB would play, and I'm not talking about the solo. It's all Richie style.

Yah, someone from the board asked Bobby at some benefit shortly after I mentioned it and he confirmed it. It's weird, it's so obvious it's a Bobby solo but I didn't realize it until Bobby played the solo at...I want to say Boston in '06. Then it was like "wow, how did that not click earlier?"

bounce442 05-10-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

I don't think WWBTF is Richie's style. The solo is but that is obviously Richie. But I don't think rest sounds like Richie at all.

But on the other hand, at the time he was talking about "all the new guitar sounds" he and Shanks were experimenting with. So who knows?

It doesn't sound like Bobby either. I'd say if it was anyone but Richie, it's probably Shanks.

Thierry 05-10-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Bobby confirmed he played lead on Wildflower at a SSJ gig.

Tiggerbeast 05-11-2011 03:33 AM

In 1998 Jon Bon Jovi had intended to record a third solo album.His which he said was to be titled "Introspection". It wasn't going to be a big rock album or a brit pop inspired piece like Destination Anywhere, but would be a more intimate record. The idea was to let Richie finish touring and promoting his own solo album, Undiscovered Soul and in the meantime record Jon would record his Introspection album.

Also that year, Jon was approached by the producers the 1998 box office popcorn movie Armageddon who requested he submit a song for the soundtrack. Jon submitted a big power ballad called 'Save The World' (yes, that very song) but it was rejected because they already had a big ballad from Aerosmith called 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing'. Jon teamed up with canadian guitarist, singer songwriter, Aldo Nova and wrote and recorded Mister Big Time instead.

Later in 1998/early 1999 the record company wanted Bon Jovi to regroup and record a new album.

Sex Sells was the working title of a album Bon Jovi were working on with the late Bruce Fairbairn but it didn't go much beyond demos (many of which appeared in 100,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong. A title track was written but not properly recorded as the band didn't feel it worked. Artwork was designed for the album and it appears on the Bonjovi.com website listed as "Coming soon ... Bon Jovi - Sex Sells".

'Real Life' was going to be a the lead single and was recorded for inclusion on the soundtrack, 'EdTV'. The band had decided that they would resume production after David Bryan had recovered from the very nasty injury involving his finger. He had an accident with a electric meat carving tool and badly damaged his fingers (I think he may have even cut it off), but fortunately it was reattached by surgeons. Session keyboardist Robbie Buchannon was brought in to play the keyboard parts for Real Life with Jon, Richie, Tico and Hugh McDonald (who makes his one and only CD Single Cover appearance to date.)

Soon after the release of Real Life, producer Bruce Fairbairm, who produced their Slippery When Wet and New Jersey albums, died of a heart attack. Production was further postponed until a new producer was found. Eventually the band reconveened, with a David Bryan and brought in Luke Ebbin. Sex Sells was mostly abandoned - with a few tracks making it to Crush "Just Older" being one of them,

Incidently the version of Real Life that appears in the film, the single and the EDTV soundtrack is signicantly different to the version on 100,000,000 Bon Jovi fans can't be Wrong.

Johny 05-11-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiggerbeast (Post 1049963)
In 1998 Jon Bon Jovi had intended to record a third solo album.His which he said was to be titled "Introspection". It wasn't going to be a big rock album or a brit pop inspired piece like Destination Anywhere, but would be a more intimate record. The idea was to let Richie finish touring and promoting his own solo album, Undiscovered Soul and in the meantime record Jon would record his Introspection album.

Also that year, Jon was approached by the producers the 1998 box office popcorn movie Armageddon who requested he submit a song for the soundtrack. Jon submitted a big power ballad called 'Save The World' (yes, that very song) but it was rejected because they already had a big ballad from Aerosmith called 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing'. Jon teamed up with canadian guitarist, singer songwriter, Aldo Nova and wrote and recorded Mister Big Time instead.

Later in 1998/early 1999 the record company wanted Bon Jovi to regroup and record a new album.

Sex Sells was the working title of a album Bon Jovi were working on with the late Bruce Fairbairn but it didn't go much beyond demos (many of which appeared in 100,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong. A title track was written but not properly recorded as the band didn't feel it worked. Artwork was designed for the album and it appears on the Bonjovi.com website listed as "Coming soon ... Bon Jovi - Sex Sells".

'Real Life' was going to be a the lead single and was recorded for inclusion on the soundtrack, 'EdTV'. The band had decided that they would resume production after David Bryan had recovered from the very nasty injury involving his finger. He had an accident with a electric meat carving tool and badly damaged his fingers (I think he may have even cut it off), but fortunately it was reattached by surgeons. Session keyboardist Robbie Buchannon was brought in to play the keyboard parts for Real Life with Jon, Richie, Tico and Hugh McDonald (who makes his one and only CD Single Cover appearance to date.)

Soon after the release of Real Life, producer Bruce Fairbairm, who produced their Slippery When Wet and New Jersey albums, died of a heart attack. Production was further postponed until a new producer was found. Eventually the band reconveened, with a David Bryan and brought in Luke Ebbin. Sex Sells was mostly abandoned - with a few tracks making it to Crush "Just Older" being one of them,

Incidently the version of Real Life that appears in the film, the single and the EDTV soundtrack is signicantly different to the version on 100,000,000 Bon Jovi fans can't be Wrong.

Thanks for your info!! It is intersting to read something new. I don't want to be impolite but how do you know it? The album title Introspection is new to me for example. I also thought David had an accident with electric saw. I'm glad to hear some news!!

Tiggerbeast 05-11-2011 12:22 PM

Purely remembering what I read in interviews and remember from them. I'm not saying it's 100% accurate but I'm 99% sure. I think you're right about David's finger accident.

It's a shame I can't provide references.