Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sex Sells (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=52912)

Rdkopper 05-08-2011 05:55 AM

Sex Sells

I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times over but I have a few questions.

Jon was supposed to release back to back solos in the late 90's. Does anyone know why SS was squashed? I've heard people say they released Crush instead but that was 2 years later and only a coulple songs were recycled. Was it b/ DA failed commercially?

And what was the Listening Party? Where was it? Are those songs live? The sound is so bad, I can't even tell. Are there any fans on this board who were there that could elaborate?

When was it even written and recorded being that DA was released in '97 and Jon toured it in '97 '98? When did he have time for this Sex Sells album that I belive was supposed to be released in '98 '99? I know he wrote DA while making movies. Did he write the SS songs at the same time? I'd say no b/c the songs sound so much different.

I find this "lost" album interesting. What was the reason for doing back to back solos? Why spend all that money and time writing / recording and then squash it?

And last, what do you think of those songs? Good Ain't Good Enough? Last Chance Train? Rich Man, etc?

Panda 05-08-2011 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1049554)
I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times over but I have a few questions.

Since I joined probably a dozen topics about it have been created. But I'll answer anyway. Please remember I'm 18 and probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Quote:

Jon was supposed to release back to back solos in the late 90's. Does anyone know why SS was squashed? I've heard people say they released Crush instead but that was 2 years later and only a coulple songs were recycled. Was it b/ DA failed commercially?
It was not because DA failed commercially. There were even advertisements out for it. No one really knows why it wasn't released.

Quote:

And what was the Listening Party? Where was it? Are those songs live? The sound is so bad, I can't even tell. Are there any fans on this board who were there that could elaborate?
As far as I know, no one here has heard any of Sex Sells apart from the stuff released on the boxset and Bsides.

Quote:

When was it even written and recorded being that DA was released in '97 and Jon toured it in '97 '98? When did he have time for this Sex Sells album that I belive was supposed to be released in '98 '99? I know he wrote DA while making movies. Did he write the SS songs at the same time? I'd say no b/c the songs sound so much different.
Can't answer this question as not much was said about the album. It only takes 2 weeks in a studio to make an album though. I'm sure there was time. Many artists write music on the road.

Quote:

I find this "lost" album interesting. What was the reason for doing back to back solos? Why spend all that money and time writing / recording and then squash it?

And last, what do you think of those songs? Good Ain't Good Enough? Last Chance Train? Rich Man, etc?
I think it was a good album, much better than anything that came after it. Neurotica, Garageland, Ordinary People and Temptation are all good songs. It was just dropped and no one knows the real reason why.

TwinFan 05-08-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1049565)
Since I joined probably a dozen topics about it have been released. But I'll answer anyway. Please remember I'm 18 and probably don't know what I'm talking about.

While I totally agree where you are coming from in this squabble, you really should just drop it.

P.S: Garageland is awesome. As is Real Life.

bounce442 05-08-2011 06:24 AM

Sex Sells the title was later switched to Crush when the title track was dropped. I don't know much about a 2n solo album other than a lot of songs were written. I know nothing of original intentions.

You will see Sex Sells posters in the Band's Real Life video.

I love Last Chance Train, Crazy Love, and Sleep While I dream. Rich Man is okay but I can never seem to turn it off once it has started. I guess I really do like it even though I know I'd make fun of you if I caught you listening to it :)

Iceman 05-08-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1049565)
As far as I know, no one here has heard any of Sex Sells apart from the stuff released on the boxset and Bsides.

Most of us have heard it, although a very badly recorded version from the fan club listening party.

AFAIK Sex Sells started out as a Jon's solo, became a band album, then Dave hurt his finger and the recordings had to be delayed. After the break SS recording process morphed into what became Crush. Most of the songs were deemed "not so good" so they wrote "better" songs.

Ice

Nige 05-08-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

I wasn't there but I can confirm 100% that it was demos played from a CD.

Quote:

Given that Jon has his own studio, and more money than he could ever spend, he wouldn't really consider it wasted I'm sure-even if the songs don't get released in solo form they can alway be turned into Jovi songs or sold to other artists.

Quote:

I love Rich Man... and I love You Can Sleep While I Dream too. Some of the others were pretty good too. I'd love to hear Sex Sells though if it was deemed good enough to be title track-theoretically making it as good as Keep The Faith and These Days! :O

Butters 05-08-2011 11:50 AM

What I can remember reading was that Jon was ready to go with his third solo album in '98 but there was some problem at the record company which meant that there had to be a fairly prolonged delay in any release, bringing it into '99. Jon decided instead to get the band back together and use his songs and Richie's songs for what would've been Sex Sells produced by Bruce Fairbairn. Bruce sadly died and the band interviewed a lot of potential new producers and decided on Luke Ebbin. They then continued to work on the songs, rewrite/record some, and write and record new ones and Sex Sells, the song, was dropped, and Sex Sells, the album, morphed into what became Crush.

So there really was no lost album, no more than there was a lost album with Have A Nice Day when they decided to rework and rewrite that one.

Supersonic 05-08-2011 12:20 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1049589)
So there really was no lost album, no more than there was a lost album with Have A Nice Day when they decided to rework and rewrite that one.

Yes there was, you've got your history a bit mixed up there. The band had recorded some songs already and then Fairbairn died. When Luke came in he steered the band into a completely different direction, changed the tone of the songs and the band re-recorded several stuff. It's why Satellite sounds so different from the rest of the Sex Sells demo's. With Have A Nice Day only 2 songs were changed, with Sex Sells there were over 30 songs and yet only a few of them were used for Crush.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Walleris 05-08-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1049590)
It's why Satellite sounds so different from the rest of the Sex Sells demo's.

Is Satellite a Fairbrain's production? If so, what other known SexSells/Crush era songs were produced by him?

Rdkopper 05-08-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1049584)
I wasn't there but I can confirm 100% that it was demos played from a CD.

Does anyone know the date of this? I'm trying to put together a timeline between DA and SS. Between written, recorded, and released

Also where it was played? I'm sure in NJ but where?

So musically, we got TD in 95. Tour '95 '96. DA '97 Tour '97 '98 And then lets say SS in late '98. It's hard for me to judge this album based on the songs we know b/c most are demos and it's musically all over the place. Would you say it's fits the post 2k mode or more of a 80/90's vibe?

To me Last Chance Train is 80's. Temptation is 90's. Shadow Dancing is '00

And someone above said Real Life but that was specifically written for the soundtrack. I love the tune and the musical direction. tI was a more back to basics sound. Was this their last origional soundtrack?

Anyone like Mr Big Time by the way?

bounce442 05-08-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1049590)
Sex Sells there were over 30 songs and yet only a few of them were used for Crush.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I remember hearing that there were close to 60 songs available for Crush. I don't remember if this was from an official source. But it also wouldn't suprise me with as much material they had.

I am also very interested in this time. And the original title track. I will ask what the OP asked, was anyone here at the listening party?

Also does anyone know if I Don't Want To Live Forever and Stay was one of the songs recorded later? That certainly sounds like Richie on IDWTLF

Crushgen24/88 05-08-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1049620)
And someone above said Real Life but that was specifically written for the soundtrack. I love the tune and the musical direction. tI was a more back to basics sound. Was this their last origional soundtrack?

I'm not sure about that one. If my memory serves right, I think they had Real Life already, and ended up choosing it to use for the soundtrack.
Anyway my understanding has always been that there were demoed songs for a third solo record, which then morphed into a band album called Sex Sells, which eventually morphed into Crush.

TwinFan 05-08-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 1049656)
I'm not sure about that one. If my memory serves right, I think they had Real Life already, and ended up choosing it to use for the soundtrack.
Anyway my understanding has always been that there were demoed songs for a third solo record, which then morphed into a band album called Sex Sells, which eventually morphed into Crush.

That's what I believe, too. There are a few songs where it's apparent by the music (especially the guitar :D) that it was Jon's solo band playing on them.

Rdkopper 05-09-2011 03:10 AM

I appreciate the info. I've always been interested in this topic. Part of me would love to obtain a final copy of this album. Even though we have most of the songs in different qualities and know the track list, I would still love to get the final product to include all songs in order with the CD cover, liner notes, booklet, etc. A second box set with this bonus CD would be really cool ideal for the 30 year anniversary, although it's a long shot.

Just to add some additional notes, this was around the time when Jon moved from Rumson (Sanctuary 1) to Middletown (Sanctuary 2) and was probably excited to crank out some music on his own. He was probably like a little kid on Christmas and couldn't wait to record music at his own convenience. Another reason why so many songs existed around this time.

I remember there being talk of Jon cranking out a bunch of music. Both, Solo and Soundtrack but we didn't end up getting too much. We got DA, Mr Big Time, And Real Life.

In addition, I don't remember the movie (if it was even ever mentioned) but he was also supposed to do a Soundtrack to a Disney movie around that time. I'm sure a real die hard could jump in on this one too.

Kathleen 05-09-2011 05:16 AM

Here is the text file that I have from that listening party:

Jon Bon Jovi - 08-28-98 Sex Sells Demos from the Listening Party at the BWJBJ 10th Anniversary Bash
8/28/98 Fairway Manor, Eatontown , NJ, USA

Audience recording
uknown gen. cassette > Apple computer > AIFF > Flac

Just Older
Hush
I Can't Save The World
Shadow Dancing
Good Ain't Good Enough
Stay
Real Life
I Got The Girl
You Can Loose At Love
Gimme Some.

This is not a live recording, but a number of demo's that were played to an audience to decide wich of the tracks would end up on the new solo record Jon Bon Jovi was planning to release in 1998.
The quality of the recording isn't too good, you can hear people talking during the songs. Though it is fun to hear some of these demo's.

heart&dagger 05-09-2011 01:40 PM

I've heard some of those tracks, and of course, Kathleen is right, the quality is not good, with people talking so much in the background, etc.

I know that for some of you, this topic, might get old, but as fans come around that are not Bon Jovi experts, yet --- it would be nice, if the more knowledgeable fan base, would share the band's history with the fans that might not be as knowledgeable, as Kathleen and others have done, here.

I also would like to know which movie that "Real Life" was written for and I only have the track without words, is there a track, with words?

I've never heard "Sex Sells" either or it's equivalent in a different title/version.

Thanks so much.

Nige 05-09-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superwoman (Post 1049760)
I've heard some of those tracks, and of course, Kathleen is right, the quality is not good, with people talking so much in the background, etc.

I know that for some of you, this topic, might get old, but as fans come around that are not Bon Jovi experts, yet --- it would be nice, if the more knowledgeable fan base, would share the band's history with the fans that might not be as knowledgeable, as Kathleen and others have done, here.

I also would like to know which movie that "Real Life" was written for and I only have the track without words, is there a track, with words?

I've never heard "Sex Sells" either or it's equivalent in a different title/version.

Thanks so much.

Real Life is from the movie EdTV and there is definitely a version with lyrics available-it's on the 100 Million BJ Fans boxset for a start, it was also a single in 1999.

See the official video here --->
Sex Sells hasn't been available in any form (legal or bootleg) and remains in the Jovi vault (sadly!).

heart&dagger 05-09-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1049762)
Real Life is from the movie EdTV and there is definitely aversion with lyrics available-I beleieb it's on the 100 Million BJ Fans boxset for a start, it was also a single.

See the official video here ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwh83or6Ibo

Sex Sells hasn't been available in any form (legal or bootleg) and remains in the Jovi vault (sadly!).

Many thanks for the youtube link. THAT is why I've never heard the track, "Sex Sells".

BTW, what is EdTV - I realize that you said a movie - but where was it released? Is Jon in this movie? (That's probably a dumb question ... )

I've got the Box Set that you refer to, but need to refresh my memory, obviously.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Supersonic 05-09-2011 02:01 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by superwoman (Post 1049765)
BTW, what is EdTV - I realize that you said a movie - but where was it released? Is Jon in this movie? (That's probably a dumb question ... )

http://www.spenk.nl/files/media/bart.gif

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Nige 05-09-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superwoman (Post 1049765)

Not a dumb question at all! It was released worldwide afaik, and Jon isn't in it.

Read here ---> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131369/

Captain_jovi 05-09-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce442 (Post 1049646)
I remember hearing that there were close to 60 songs available for Crush. I don't remember if this was from an official source. But it also wouldn't suprise me with as much material they had.

I am also very interested in this time. And the original title track. I will ask what the OP asked, was anyone here at the listening party?

Also does anyone know if I Don't Want To Live Forever and Stay was one of the songs recorded later? That certainly sounds like Richie on IDWTLF

Both of those songs are pre-Richie. Definitely Bobby on guitar.

bounce442 05-09-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1049776)
Both of those songs are pre-Richie. Definitely Bobby on guitar.

Well don't I feel like an @ssole. Well I admit Bobby plays IDWTLF with style.

I went back and looked at my imports and the only info it gives is for the single itself and the live tracks. And I don't doubt you in the least, but how do you know for sure?

Captain_jovi 05-09-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce442 (Post 1049812)
Well don't I feel like an @ssole. Well I admit Bobby plays IDWTLF with style.

I went back and looked at my imports and the only info it gives is for the single itself and the live tracks. And I don't doubt you in the least, but how do you know for sure?

Haha, no worries.

Stay - If you compare the final released song to the badly badly badly taped version played for the fan club in 1998, it's exactly the same version.

IDWTLF - Have no actual proof but Bobby's constant one note vibrato run in the solo tipped me off. For so long I assumed it was Richie but then had a big "oh crap" moment a few years ago.

bounce442 05-09-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1049822)

but then had a big "oh crap" monebt a few years ago.

Yeah that is kind of what I am having right now :) Thanks!

Captain_jovi 05-09-2011 10:51 PM

It's funny, when you really sit down and count em out, there's a lot of Bobby solos all over the box set and throughout the Crush B-sides.

bounce442 05-09-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1049825)
It's funny, when you really sit down and count em out, there's a lot of Bobby solos all over the box set and throughout the Crush B-sides.

There sure are. And I honestly never knew that. When listening to, for example, Rich Man, I think I knew that wasn't Bon Jovi. I knew he had written some songs while still touring DA (Older). But I always assumed that the demoed b-sides to Bon Jovi singles were in fact Bon Jovi. I think I'd prefer not knowing now. I wish I hadn't asked. ha ha

Simon 05-10-2011 12:49 AM

It sucks they released JBJ demos on BJ singles.

Captain_jovi 05-10-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce442 (Post 1049832)
There sure are. And I honestly never knew that. When listening to, for example, Rich Man, I think I knew that wasn't Bon Jovi. I knew he had written some songs while still touring DA (Older). But I always assumed that the demoed b-sides to Bon Jovi singles were in fact Bon Jovi. I think I'd prefer not knowing now. I wish I hadn't asked. ha ha

Agreed. I'm pretty sure Crush was the only instance.

Supersonic 05-10-2011 02:20 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1049846)
Agreed. I'm pretty sure Crush was the only instance.

No it's not. Richie isn't present on Wildflower either, Bobby plays lead on it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Javier 05-10-2011 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1049850)
Aloha !

No it's not. Richie isn't present on Wildflower either, Bobby plays lead on it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

That's something i also thought when I heard the first version of 'We weren't born to follow' before richie redid the solo. Though there's no comfirmation on that one while 'Wildflower' was comfirmed by Bobby.....

Captain_jovi 05-10-2011 03:03 AM

I meant as far as b-sides go. The only instances of Jon songs repackaged as band songs.

FWIW I was the one who brought it to the table that it was Bobby playing the solo, not Richie. Someone ran with it and then asked Bobby who confirmed it.

....I have few things to brag about in life, let me have this..

bounce442 05-10-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1049855)
....I have few things to brag about in life, let me have this..

Ha Ha I will forever give you credit if I am ever unfortunate enough to ever have to explain this :)

heart&dagger 05-10-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1049772)
Not a dumb question at all! It was released worldwide afaik, and Jon isn't in it.

Read here ---> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131369/

Interesting in many ways, for example the director being Ron Howard and the actors are surprising, as well.

Thank you very much ...

Simon 05-10-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1049852)
That's something i also thought when I heard the first version of 'We weren't born to follow' before richie redid the solo. Though there's no comfirmation on that one while 'Wildflower' was comfirmed by Bobby.....

He confirmed it? Well, it's obvious judgung by the sound. That's why I never liked it so much, even though it's not bad.

WWBTF sounds nothing BB would play, and I'm not talking about the solo. It's all Richie style.

Captain_jovi 05-10-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 1049903)
He confirmed it? Well, it's obvious judgung by the sound. That's why I never liked it so much, even though it's not bad.

WWBTF sounds nothing BB would play, and I'm not talking about the solo. It's all Richie style.

Yah, someone from the board asked Bobby at some benefit shortly after I mentioned it and he confirmed it. It's weird, it's so obvious it's a Bobby solo but I didn't realize it until Bobby played the solo at...I want to say Boston in '06. Then it was like "wow, how did that not click earlier?"

bounce442 05-10-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

I don't think WWBTF is Richie's style. The solo is but that is obviously Richie. But I don't think rest sounds like Richie at all.

But on the other hand, at the time he was talking about "all the new guitar sounds" he and Shanks were experimenting with. So who knows?

It doesn't sound like Bobby either. I'd say if it was anyone but Richie, it's probably Shanks.

Thierry 05-10-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Bobby confirmed he played lead on Wildflower at a SSJ gig.

Tiggerbeast 05-11-2011 04:33 AM

In 1998 Jon Bon Jovi had intended to record a third solo album.His which he said was to be titled "Introspection". It wasn't going to be a big rock album or a brit pop inspired piece like Destination Anywhere, but would be a more intimate record. The idea was to let Richie finish touring and promoting his own solo album, Undiscovered Soul and in the meantime record Jon would record his Introspection album.

Also that year, Jon was approached by the producers the 1998 box office popcorn movie Armageddon who requested he submit a song for the soundtrack. Jon submitted a big power ballad called 'Save The World' (yes, that very song) but it was rejected because they already had a big ballad from Aerosmith called 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing'. Jon teamed up with canadian guitarist, singer songwriter, Aldo Nova and wrote and recorded Mister Big Time instead.

Later in 1998/early 1999 the record company wanted Bon Jovi to regroup and record a new album.

Sex Sells was the working title of a album Bon Jovi were working on with the late Bruce Fairbairn but it didn't go much beyond demos (many of which appeared in 100,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong. A title track was written but not properly recorded as the band didn't feel it worked. Artwork was designed for the album and it appears on the Bonjovi.com website listed as "Coming soon ... Bon Jovi - Sex Sells".

'Real Life' was going to be a the lead single and was recorded for inclusion on the soundtrack, 'EdTV'. The band had decided that they would resume production after David Bryan had recovered from the very nasty injury involving his finger. He had an accident with a electric meat carving tool and badly damaged his fingers (I think he may have even cut it off), but fortunately it was reattached by surgeons. Session keyboardist Robbie Buchannon was brought in to play the keyboard parts for Real Life with Jon, Richie, Tico and Hugh McDonald (who makes his one and only CD Single Cover appearance to date.)

Soon after the release of Real Life, producer Bruce Fairbairm, who produced their Slippery When Wet and New Jersey albums, died of a heart attack. Production was further postponed until a new producer was found. Eventually the band reconveened, with a David Bryan and brought in Luke Ebbin. Sex Sells was mostly abandoned - with a few tracks making it to Crush "Just Older" being one of them,

Incidently the version of Real Life that appears in the film, the single and the EDTV soundtrack is signicantly different to the version on 100,000,000 Bon Jovi fans can't be Wrong.

Johny 05-11-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiggerbeast (Post 1049963)
In 1998 Jon Bon Jovi had intended to record a third solo album.His which he said was to be titled "Introspection". It wasn't going to be a big rock album or a brit pop inspired piece like Destination Anywhere, but would be a more intimate record. The idea was to let Richie finish touring and promoting his own solo album, Undiscovered Soul and in the meantime record Jon would record his Introspection album.

Also that year, Jon was approached by the producers the 1998 box office popcorn movie Armageddon who requested he submit a song for the soundtrack. Jon submitted a big power ballad called 'Save The World' (yes, that very song) but it was rejected because they already had a big ballad from Aerosmith called 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing'. Jon teamed up with canadian guitarist, singer songwriter, Aldo Nova and wrote and recorded Mister Big Time instead.

Later in 1998/early 1999 the record company wanted Bon Jovi to regroup and record a new album.

Sex Sells was the working title of a album Bon Jovi were working on with the late Bruce Fairbairn but it didn't go much beyond demos (many of which appeared in 100,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong. A title track was written but not properly recorded as the band didn't feel it worked. Artwork was designed for the album and it appears on the Bonjovi.com website listed as "Coming soon ... Bon Jovi - Sex Sells".

'Real Life' was going to be a the lead single and was recorded for inclusion on the soundtrack, 'EdTV'. The band had decided that they would resume production after David Bryan had recovered from the very nasty injury involving his finger. He had an accident with a electric meat carving tool and badly damaged his fingers (I think he may have even cut it off), but fortunately it was reattached by surgeons. Session keyboardist Robbie Buchannon was brought in to play the keyboard parts for Real Life with Jon, Richie, Tico and Hugh McDonald (who makes his one and only CD Single Cover appearance to date.)

Soon after the release of Real Life, producer Bruce Fairbairm, who produced their Slippery When Wet and New Jersey albums, died of a heart attack. Production was further postponed until a new producer was found. Eventually the band reconveened, with a David Bryan and brought in Luke Ebbin. Sex Sells was mostly abandoned - with a few tracks making it to Crush "Just Older" being one of them,

Incidently the version of Real Life that appears in the film, the single and the EDTV soundtrack is signicantly different to the version on 100,000,000 Bon Jovi fans can't be Wrong.

Thanks for your info!! It is intersting to read something new. I don't want to be impolite but how do you know it? The album title Introspection is new to me for example. I also thought David had an accident with electric saw. I'm glad to hear some news!!

Tiggerbeast 05-11-2011 01:22 PM

Purely remembering what I read in interviews and remember from them. I'm not saying it's 100% accurate but I'm 99% sure. I think you're right about David's finger accident.

It's a shame I can't provide references.