Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What About Now revisited (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70388)

hackster73 07-28-2018 11:19 AM

What About Now revisited

So 5 years on I have listened to What About Now for the first time in maybe 2 years...

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I'm interested to know what you all think 5 years on and to know your favourite tracks.

TheOriginalJez 07-28-2018 12:47 PM

Easily the worst Jovi album and most skippable. I'm With You was almost a good song. I tried really hard to like it, had it in my car for months when it came out but there's just no redeeming features. The best track was Into The Echo and it wasn't even on the album.

Grantos1 07-28-2018 01:07 PM

Sambora mentioned something after he left about the album not being ready for release or rushed and that's what I felt at the time. There's some good songs, but generally most of them sound to me like they needed more work, either rewritten or just different production.

That and the fact I really liked The Fighter until someone here pointed out the Civil Wars song it sounds identical to.

james_d 07-28-2018 01:38 PM

There were a few songs on there I liked, that's what the water made me for example, but I definitely agree it sounded unfinished. If it had released about a year later it probably would have been fine.

bonjovi90 07-28-2018 02:02 PM

I've tried and tried it again over the years, but I just don't start liking the album in any way. There are some decent tunes, but the best one (I'm With You) is hindered by probably the worst production on any Jovi release (or in fact any release at all).

As james_d so rightly said, it sounds unfinished. Like songs that weren't developed past their demo stage and not nearly ready for a release. Box Set material with loads of overproduction added to them.

Even though I'm not a great fan of Burning Bridges or This House, I still find myself listening to those albums occasionally and enjoying them.
But WAN just lacks on all fronts: lyrics get cringeworthy too often even for Jovi standards, musically it's bland and uninspired and there's no flow in there from at least song 7 or so onwards. It all blends into one big mash-up.

To quote Jon from the HoF: This is the album where the shit hits the fan :(

Grantos1 07-28-2018 02:07 PM

The funny thing is, I like Burning Bridges, but that seemed to be a rushed album to finish their contract. My theory, and I'm probably wrong, is that they spent less time on producing the album, so less chance of over producing the hell out of songs, thus we got less of the problems they had with WAN

Fredrik 07-28-2018 02:07 PM

It was shit then and it's shit now. Crap album from start to finish.

hackster73 07-28-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grantos1 (Post 1243437)
The funny thing is, I like Burning Bridges, but that seemed to be a rushed album to finish their contract. My theory, and I'm probably wrong, is that they spent less time on producing the album, so less chance of over producing the hell out of songs, thus we got less of the problems they had with WAN

so could they have released this..?

A Teardrop To The Sea
I'm With You
We Don't Run
Pictures of You
Amen
That's What the Water Made Me
What's Left of Me
Who Would You Die For
Fingerprints
Life Is Beautiful
Room at the End of the World
The Fighter

With These Two Hands
Into the Echo

DavetheGodofKeys 07-28-2018 04:17 PM

The worst BJ album along with The Circle.

Rdkopper 07-28-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik (Post 1243438)
It was shit then and it's shit now. Crap album from start to finish.

I knew someone who post this... so predictable

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk