Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   TV & Movies (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Star Wars (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=40633)

Captain Walrus 06-15-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redshift (Post 754497)
And another qusetion.

Old Lucas did a bloody good job of intertwining the original trilogy with the pequels, wrapping up all the loose ends.

But the part that shirked me was - Heres wise Obi-Wan that agrees to care and watch over Luke and hide him from his father.
He could take him to any part of the galaxy - Dagobah, Hoth, Bespin - you name it, but no, he takes him to live on Tatooine with Vaders in-laws. Now I know that Vader had no knowledge of Lukes exsistence at this point, but Yoda got it right giving Leia to Jimmy Smits.
Now I know Obi-Wan probably thought it "wise" to give Luke to relatives. But Jedi don't feel emotion so he didn't do it out of kindness.
Not the greatest hiding spot if you ask me - for the protection of the future of the galaxy - too bad if Vader dropped in on the in-laws for a social visit.

Am I reading too much into this?

It's been suggested that Obi Wan and Yoda were attempting to put things in the correct place so that one day they could use Luke as a weapon against Vader ... I don't really know how to explain it, but I have a feeling it was all part of some plan

Thomas Anderson 06-15-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus (Post 754772)
It's been suggested that Obi Wan and Yoda were attempting to put things in the correct place so that one day they could use Luke as a weapon against Vader ... I don't really know how to explain it, but I have a feeling it was all part of some plan

That's the feeling I had from it too. When Luke leaves Dagobah to face Vader, Obi Wan says to Yoda 'That boy was our last hope' and Yoday says 'No, there is another' - that doesn't really tie in I suppose, given that Obi Wan knew of Leia.

Captain Walrus 06-15-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redshift (Post 754483)
Will look out for it.

Speaking of SW & BJ, did you know that JBJ's first proper recording was for a Star Wars tribute album (when he was a teenager).

Sang a song called "Merry Christmas R2-D2".

1980 I think. I'm sure JBJ used every dispossal at his command to have every copy destroyed, much like Lucas did with the Star Wars TV Christmas special!!!

Almost, its actually R2-D2 We Wish You A Merry Christmas ... its awesome :D In a horrendously cheesy way. Jon sounds sooooo incredibly young, I think if you didn't know it was him you'd be unlikely to notice that it was. And he sings with a children's choir!

Cross Road 06-15-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson (Post 754780)
That's the feeling I had from it too. When Luke leaves Dagobah to face Vader, Obi Wan says to Yoda 'That boy was our last hope' and Yoday says 'No, there is another' - that doesn't really tie in I suppose, given that Obi Wan knew of Leia.

I think that's why they gave Luke to his family. Obi-Wan knew that Luke would find him one day. That's when Obi-Wan would give Luke Vader's lightsaber. A series of events had to take place so that all of this could happen though. Obi-Wan knew this.

Thomas Anderson 06-15-2007 05:44 PM

Well don't forget that Yoda was going to teach Obi Wan how to communicate with Qui Gonn, so presumably in the 20 years Obi Wan was there on Tatooine he had plenty of time to learn that and to plan everything.

Cross Road 06-15-2007 06:17 PM

Qui-Gonn was supposed to be included in Episode III, but he had some sort of medical condition and couldn't make the cut. They were going to have Qui-Gonn communicate with Obi-Wan and teach him some new things. Through the force, Obi-Wan saw what he had to do.

Thomas Anderson 06-15-2007 06:18 PM

Has anyone read the book? I heard it was explained a little better in there. I ordered it, but read the description wrong and ended up with the graphic novel instead lol

Cross Road 06-15-2007 06:21 PM

I haven't read the book, but they're making a new video game to explain it. You're playing as Vader's apprentice. Its supposed to explain everything that happened between episodes III and IV.

Thomas Anderson 06-15-2007 06:23 PM

I was expecting a cartoon series, I'm sure I heard that's how they were covering that 20 year gap.

Captain Walrus 06-15-2007 07:01 PM

I have the book although not read it for a couple of years ... I'll go investigate at some point