Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jon Bon Jovi and the songs he cleverly stole from others. (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=54006)

Rdkopper 06-22-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1084891)
I still can't believe Richie doesn't get any credit for Dry County. It's outrageous. When Jon came in the studio with it, it was a 4 minute song. Richie wanted it an EPIC. While Jon will have probably come up with the lyrics and most of the melody, I am sure there are songs in the Jovi catalogue for which Richie got credit for way less than he's done on Dry County. Just ridiculous.

Guns N' Roses used to split credits between all band members, all getting 20%, maybe Axl getting slightly more. Even the drummers would get credit. There is NO ****IN' WAY Jon Bon Bon should be the only one credited for Dry County. It's still beyond my imagination really. There must be a weird deal struck there (My hypothesis, lots of cash went into Richie's bank account to leave Jon all the merits of that).

Interesting.... I never knew DC was initially just a 4 minute song.

But taking into consideration everything you said, if Jon came into the studio with a completed song... And Richie said, lets make it EPIC and I'll add three minutes of extra guitar. If I was Jon, I'd say cool ideal Richie but I'm still getting complete F-ing song writing credit for this song.

Now that I think about it, DC is a rip-off of November Rain

Captain_jovi 06-22-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1084896)
Interesting.... I never knew DC was initially just a 4 minute song.

But taking into consideration everything you said, if Jon came into the studio with a completed song... And Richie said, lets make it EPIC and I'll add three minutes of extra guitar. If I was Jon, I'd say cool ideal Richie but I'm still getting complete song writing credit for this.

Now that I think about it, DC is a rip-off of November Rain

I didn't know it was initially a 4 minute song either, I'd love to hear a source for that fact.

I think they came out too close to each other for one to rip off the other. That and I don't hear the similarities apart from both being long songs with big guitar solos.

DevilsSon 06-22-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1084897)
I didn't know it was initially a 4 minute song either, I'd love to hear a source for that fact.

I think they came out too close to each other for one to rip off the other. That and I don't hear the similarities apart from both being long songs with big guitar solos.

I'll have a look. I'm sure I read it in an interview with Richie from 1998-ish when he put out Undiscovered Soul and he said something like Jon came back with lyrics and the melody but it was just a normal 3-4 minute song. He wanted to make it an Epic so he pushed it and basically came up with the second half of the song.

BonJovi100 06-23-2012 02:14 AM

Ok. There have many songs which are "inspired" by others. Thats ok with me. If this is something more then band/record label who have rights to original song should get many for using their music. Ripping off is not good if original artist don't know about it (and say you can do this) or don't get money from them)work.

IF M.Martin gave BJ 90% of IML or D.Child gave BJ demo of Livin it's ok with me. BOn Jovi gave many song for others artists and thats also ok (Nothing, Cadilac Man, These Open Arms, One To Say Goodbye).Seb asked to show other band who have so many influences song as BJ... so for exampleLed Zeppelin

or Metallica (they ripped many more)

Billions of people think that Metallica made riff for "Ender Sandman but it's just ripped from Excel.

Some original versions of BIGGEST worlds hits. Listen before reading who ripped thats songs.

Many of biggest hits have "influences" from others artists fFor Example:
1 - Hotel California / 2 - My Sweet Lord / 3 - Ghostbuste / 4 - Surfin USA / 5 - Anybody Seen My Baby

Emisambora 06-23-2012 03:29 AM

Billy Squier - The Stroke

No need to mention the BJ song

Javier 06-23-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1084891)
I still can't believe Richie doesn't get any credit for Dry County. It's outrageous. When Jon came in the studio with it, it was a 4 minute song. Richie wanted it an EPIC. While Jon will have probably come up with the lyrics and most of the melody, I am sure there are songs in the Jovi catalogue for which Richie got credit for way less than he's done on Dry County. Just ridiculous.

Guns N' Roses used to split credits between all band members, all getting 20%, maybe Axl getting slightly more. Even the drummers would get credit. There is NO ****IN' WAY Jon Bon Bon should be the only one credited for Dry County. It's still beyond my imagination really. There must be a weird deal struck there (My hypothesis, lots of cash went into Richie's bank account to leave Jon all the merits of that).

Richie could have written 8 minutes of guitar work, he'd still be arranging it based on the song structure, chords and melodies Jon wrote. Credits for songwritting and arrangements are 2 different things and are paid for sepparately....

Edit: to add that i agree that the solos make the song and it wouldn't be a standout track without them, but as far as songwritting credit goes, it doesn't really matter.

DevilsSon 06-23-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1084915)
Richie could have written 8 minutes of guitar work, he'd still be arranging it based on the song structure, chords and melodies Jon wrote. Credits for songwritting and arrangements are 2 different things and are paid for sepparately....

Edit: to add that i agree that the solos make the song and it wouldn't be a standout track without them, but as far as songwritting credit goes, it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I know that. It's just that, it's not just a solo that is placed somewhere in the song. It completely changes the song structure. Then there's the intermezzo between the two solos and the riff just has Sambora written all over it. Maybe that's not enough to get song writing credits. Then again, I bet both Jon and Richie have done less for certain songs and still got their names on them.

I couldn't find the actual interview - but have a look at this:
Around 4:15, Richie pretty much says the same thing.

DevilsSon 06-23-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emisambora (Post 1084914)
Billy Squier - The Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbxL7o-6ZA

No need to mention the BJ song

Sorry, can't figure that one out. Which song is it? Sounds more like Def Leppard based their whole catalogue on ripping off this song.

KeepTheFaith2211 06-23-2012 02:31 PM

Bon Jovi's 'Thank You For Loving Me' is pretty much a direct rip of 'Garden Of Eden' by Guns N' Roses.

Captain_jovi 06-23-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1084921)
Sorry, can't figure that one out. Which song is it? Sounds more like Def Leppard based their whole catalogue on ripping off this song.

I'd guess King of the Mountain.