Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jon Bon Jovi and the songs he cleverly stole from others. (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=54006)

Supersonic 06-21-2012 01:57 AM

Bon Jovi and the songs they cleverly stole from others.

Aloha !

With the arrival of the internet and music being more available it's also got fans from different bands together. I for one am a fan of the Stereophonics, and I've yet only met 1 person who's a fan of both bands. The internet has made it possible for people to read discussions about various artists, look up songs and suddenly people were able to discuss how they heard another song from a totally different genre in the latest Bon Jovi song.

Here's the list of songs of which I am aware have been (partially) ripped off from other songs:
  1. Burning For Love: Living A Lie -Laura Branigan (verses)
  2. King Of The Mountain: The Stroke - Billy Squier (partially)
  3. Never Say Goodbye: Hearts Of Stone - Southside Johnny
  4. Love Is War: Nicked from You Give Love A Bad Name.
  5. Keep The Faith: Pain Lies On The Riverside - Live
  6. Fear: Inspired by We Gotta Get Out Of This Place - The Animals
  7. Hearts Breaking Even: Inspired by Cryin' - Aerosmith
  8. Damned: Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - The Rolling Stones (chorus)
  9. All I Want Is Everything - Sign O' The Times - Prince (verses)
  10. Bitter Wine: Shooting Star - Bad Company
  11. Queen Of New Orleans: Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance
  12. Janie, Don't Take Your Love To Town: Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis
  13. Naked: Swallowed (Chorus) - Bush
  14. It's Just Me: Pink Floyd - Time
  15. August 7, 4:15: Rockin' In The Free World - Neil Young
  16. I Don't Want To Live Forever: Local Boy In The Photograph - Stereophonics
  17. Rich Man Living In A Poor Man's House: Learning To Fly - Tom Petty
  18. Say It Isn't So: Semi-Charmed - Life Third Eye Blind
  19. Two Story Town: One Of Us - Joan Osbourne
  20. Captain Crash & The Beauty Queen From Mars: Stay Young - Oasis
  21. Thief Of Hearts: I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty
  22. Standing: Dig In - Lenny Kravitz
  23. Another Reason To Believe: Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - The Rolling Stones (verses)
  24. Why Aren't You Dead: 5:15 - The Who
  25. Have A Nice Day: Clavado En Un Bar - Mana
  26. Bells Of Freedom: This Ain't A Love Song (chorus only)
  27. Who Says You Can't Go Home: Follow You Down - Gin Blossom
  28. Last Man Standing: Turn The Page - Bog Seger
  29. This Is Our House : Lift U Up - Gotthard
  30. We Weren't Born To Follow: Born To Be My Baby (chorus only)
  31. Brokenpromiseland: All Along The Watchtower - Bob Dylan (verses only)
  32. Backseat Driver: I Don't Want To Be - Gavin de Graw (chorus only)
  33. 7 Years Gone: I Wonder - Gotthard (chorus only)
  34. Every Road Leads Home To You: Use Somebody - Kings Of Leon
  35. Because We Can: King Of Emotion - Big Country
  36. Beautiful World: How Far We've Come - Matchbox 20 (verses)
  37. The Fighter - Prendre Un Enfant - Yves Duteil
  38. Saturday Night Gave Me Sunday Morning: Gotta Be Somebody - Nickelback

I know with some of them (Two Story Town) it might be co-incidental. With others (Stay Young) it's a direct rip off that makes me wonder why they haven't been sued yet, though I doubt Noel Gallagher has got any right to sue considering how much he nicked from other artists. :)

Then there's the obvious list of songs on which you can sing the chorus to It's My Life to:

1. One Wild Night
2. Undivided
3. Bounce
4. Have A Nice Day
5. Complicated
6. We Got It Goin' On
7. Brokenpromiseland
8. etc.

All songs that fit the chorus completely, it's not just the chord progressions but it's the lenght of every bar as well etc.

I'm quite sure there's more out there. To this day I swear I recognize the riff from Naked, along with the drum loop, from another song but I can't say which one. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or come up with more examples of songs they stole from others? I'm sure there's more out there of bands I rarely listen to. I'll edit the list once the suggestions start to come. :)

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

bounce442 06-21-2012 06:01 AM

Good list... the most shameful being Aug 7, 415. Especially after covering RITFW on the previous tour.

My addition is Novocaine inspired by MCR's "I'm Not Okay". HAND was supposedly a power/pop record... And My Chemical Romance, a power/pop/punk band had received some attention a year or so prior... I can see how MCR would have influenced the songwriting.

The two songs have different dynamics and tone and I haven't compared chord progressions, but the melody is very similar.

jesyjames 06-21-2012 08:30 AM

Aren't "We Weren't Born to Follow" and "Born to Be My Baby" essentially the same song in the Chorus?

I'd also add the Animals "We Gotta Get out of this Place" and "Fear."

GabrielC 06-21-2012 08:45 AM

There is "Hearts of Stone" and "Never Say Goodbye" too.

Crushgen24/88 06-21-2012 10:21 AM

I say it every time this topic comes up:
Queen of New Orleans and Tom Petty's Last Dance With Mary Jane.

DevilsSon 06-21-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce442 (Post 1084818)
Good list... the most shameful being Aug 7, 415. Especially after covering RITFW on the previous tour.

And Jon playing an IDENTICAL solo on both (probably the only solo he knew back in the day, still). What I find really bad is the topic of August 7, 4:15. I mean, come on, a song about the tragic death of a little girl. At least write your own ****in' melody Jon Bon Bon!

The others I am more or less ok with. Some are quite blatant, but then again, they've always been honest about generally 'being inspired' by other artists. And since JonBon constantly cites people like Tom Petty, SSSJ, Neil Young or the Animals as major influences, it's ok.

I would add two songs to the list:

Temptation - House of the Rising Sun.

And biggest of them all - Last Man Standing is IDENTICAL to Bob Seger's Turn the Page. You can even interchange lyrics. Ridiculous.

Crushgen24/88 06-21-2012 11:44 AM

I think most of these are coincidental TBH.

sambos apprentice 06-21-2012 12:40 PM

Wild is the Wind -The River (the boss)

Walkerboy 06-21-2012 12:57 PM

Janie vs Don't Look Back in Anger?!
Not so sure about that.
Destination Anywhere was in the process of being written in late 95, early 96. Jon's lyrics were stolen in Feb 96 (I asked him if he had got them back when I met him March) so I'm pretty sure he'd have got to work on it before Don't Look Back was released.
However, the Oasis single was released while Jon was in the UK filming the Leading Man, so there's a minute possibility that he picked up on it.

To be honest though, you could look at most music and start saying it sounds like someone else's work.
There's a limit on the number of chords in existence, so eventually over time things will start to replicate a little.

Avantasian 06-21-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambos apprentice (Post 1084827)
Wild is the Wind -The River (the boss)

I always thought Born to be my baby sounds exactly like an upbeat version of The River in the chorus.

Walkerboy 06-21-2012 01:08 PM

Oh and Noel Gallagher claimed that Captain Crash was a rip-off of Stay Young.

DevilsSon 06-21-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkerboy (Post 1084831)
Oh and Noel Gallagher claimed that Captain Crash was a rip-off of Stay Young.

he did? when did he do that?

RSROCKS 06-21-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 1084826)

Agreed. If you look hard enough, there's almost always a song you can claim sounds like another song. Granted there are some blatant rip offs including Hearts Breaking Even which Jon has admitted to as much that it sounded like an Aerosmith song.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic
7. Janie, Don't Take Your Love To Town: Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis
12. Captain Crash & The Beauty Queen From Mars: Stay Young by Oasis)

I agree with you that Janie kind of sounds like Don't Look Back In Anger but I thought Jon was no fan of Oasis? I know he knocked them a couple of years ago when he made that off-colored comment about Oasis not being popular in America for a reason.

Supersonic 06-21-2012 01:55 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 1084826)

Some of them are, yeah. But most of them I feel aren't. When you're writing a song and you use the direct chord progression of another song you just know. It's not a co-incidence when you can copy an entire song directly on another song, it's just not possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkerboy (Post 1084829)
Janie vs Don't Look Back in Anger?!
Not so sure about that.
Destination Anywhere was in the process of being written in late 95, early 96. Jon's lyrics were stolen in Feb 96 (I asked him if he had got them back when I met him March) so I'm pretty sure he'd have got to work on it before Don't Look Back was released.
However, the Oasis single was released while Jon was in the UK filming the Leading Man, so there's a minute possibility that he picked up on it.

Morning Glory was released in the fall of 1995 and Jon picked the album up pretty much the first few weeks of its release. Back then Jon was very much in the whole Britpop scene and didn't need the single release for DLBIA to get the song under his attention. That said, Janie was written in a hotel in Amsterdam in the summer of 1996 during the These Days tour after a fight he'd had with Dorothea. It was not written during the time he lived in London.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSROCKS (Post 1084834)
I agree with you that Janie kind of sounds like Don't Look Back In Anger but I thought Jon was no fan of Oasis? I know he knocked them a couple of years ago when he made that off-colored comment about Oasis not being popular in America for a reason.

Jon was (not sure if he still is) a big fan of Oasis, up to the point of inviting them to tour with them through the U.K. in 1995. I'm not sure but I think they were supposed to be one of the support acts for the Wembley shows but Noel turned them down. After Jon commented on how "Oasis couldn't fill a bar in America" it created a huge backlash among Oasis and other music fans in general. Most felt Jon was talking out of his arse considering how Oasis sold out their date at Madison Square Garden faster than Bon Jovi ever did. Jon later retracted his comments about Oasis saying a reporter twisted his words and that Oasis deserved more promotion in the U.S.A. from the record company considering the talent they had.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

DevilsSon 06-21-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSROCKS (Post 1084834)

I think Jon said many times he was a big fan and wanted them to open for Bon Jovi in 1995. Liam or Noel turned him down saying "Don't get me wrong, Jon Bon Bon is a nice bloke, but his music sucks balls" or something like that. They've never been best friends since :P

Walkerboy 06-21-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1084832)
he did? when did he do that?

Can't remember when it was, but I remember it being referenced either in a newspaper or on the radio.

Rdkopper 06-21-2012 02:52 PM

This topic has come up a million times before and weather they are similarities, stolen, or whatever, I really don't care.

Bon Jovi has a long enough catalog of originality and enough credibility as a songwriter so for someone to make a mountain out of these handful of songs is ridicules.

Bon Jovi has influences like everyone else. In my opinion, they don't scream copyright. A riff here, a zap there, it's not enough for me. You can play this game with any artist.

To be honest, this topic has less originality than the Bon Jovi songs listed.

Sorry!

Hopefully your other topic is more interesting and original

Supersonic 06-21-2012 03:19 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1084841)
This topic has come up a million times before and weather they are similarities, stolen, or whatever, I really don't care.

Bon Jovi has a long enough catalog of originality and enough credibility as a songwriter so for someone to make a mountain out of these handful of songs is ridicules.

Bon Jovi has influences like everyone else. In my opinion, they don't scream copyright. A riff here, a zap there, it's not enough for me. You can play this game with any artist.

To be honest, this topic has less originality than the Bon Jovi songs listed.

Sorry!

Hopefully your other topic is more interesting and original

I am well aware you can play this game with any artist, however, Jon is always the one going for being the real songwriter, the one who creates something original while there's close to 20 songs of his discography already that show that he stole more than just a riff here and there. I'm a big fan of Noel Gallagher's songwriting but he's the last one to claim that he didn't nick something from other artists. And there's no Oasis song that is a direct lift from any other songs. Some melody lines here and there, but that's about it. So as for other artists, I can't make a list of 20 songs of any other artist recorded that sound like other stuff. 2 or 3 maybe, yes, but not 20. If you can, feel free to create a topic about it in the Other Bands section because it's easy to say such a thing but you'll find it's a lot harder to actually do it.

Saying "Jon wrote plenty of songs so he can't possibly have stolen something else" is pretty much sticking your head in the sand refusing to believe the facts that are on the table. The question you should ask yourself instead is that if it's as obvious regarding these songs what goes on behind the scenes of what we're not aware of, hence me starting the other topic. If the songs listed here don't convince you that Jon stole from other artists then frankly I don't know what will. If a direct copy of a song doesn't scream copyright, then what does, according to you?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

TwinFan 06-21-2012 03:28 PM

I have a hard time believing that Jon and/or Richie sat down and said "let's steal and copy this song". They're coincidental. Yes, some songs may sound more alike than others, but if you try hard, you can find similarities in each and every song.

Supersonic 06-21-2012 03:49 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFan (Post 1084844)
I have a hard time believing that Jon and/or Richie sat down and said "let's steal and copy this song". They're coincidental. Yes, some songs may sound more alike than others, but if you try hard, you can find similarities in each and every song.

Again, parts and bits, but not complete songs. Considering the millions of possibilities out there with the few notes we have chances are slim you'd write the exact same melody another artist has written before. Obviously it's possible, and if it happened once or twice in their career that's fine, but not over a dozen times.

In the end it's the same as me painting 100 pictures of which you recognize 12 from other artists. You'd not be saying "ha, that's just a co-incidence" either.

But go ahead and try before making such a bold claim. Try to find 20 songs by other artists that were nicked from songs previously released.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

TwinFan 06-21-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1084846)
Aloha !

Again, parts and bits, but not complete songs. Considering the millions of possibilities out there with the few notes we have chances are slim you'd write the exact same melody another artist has written before. Obviously it's possible, and if it happened once or twice in their career that's fine, but not over a dozen times.

In the end it's the same as me painting 100 pictures of which you recognize 12 from other artists. You'd not be saying "ha, that's just a co-incidence" either.

But go ahead and try before making such a bold claim. Try to find 20 songs by other artists that were nicked from songs previously released.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

We may be talking about different things. I meant that every song (or at least 99% of songs) has influences from another song or artist. Whether it was intentional or not, it happens. Sure, there may be endless possibilities for melody, but there have also been lots of songs written and recorded.

But I see your point on how Bon Jovi may have more than a few similar songs. But to be honest, I don't care. If I like the song, I like the song, and don't care if it's similar to another. I get more bothered if they totally rip off themselves (IML and its clones) than if they take influences from another artist.

Rdkopper 06-21-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1084846)
Aloha !

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I don't want to because I don't care about this topic enough to do so. You are just creating an illusion. When they say they go to Nashville to write with other artists, I believe they do so. They are writers. Not every song on their album is 100% theirs. Some might be 10% and some might be 90%.

If Jon wrote the verse and someone wrote the chorus, so what! I really don't care and neither should anyone else.

Rdkopper 06-21-2012 05:14 PM

This topic basically contradicts your other one because here you are stating that they steal songs and the other one you are saying that they don't write them so in essence....... The person writing their songs are stealing them....

Look, Bon Jovi would not be around for 30 years if they were stealing from other artists... And even if they blatantly stole a guitar riff, Jon still wrote the lyrics, with a catch chorus and melody.

When Jon and Richie get together to write a new album, I believe they do so. What ends up on the final album might will not be 100% theirs but that how I believe it all starts.... Jon and Richie (and maybe some friends later on)

Twist it as much as you'd like but I'm not buying either topic. Not without hard facts

crashed 06-21-2012 06:11 PM

Their are definitely times Jon/Richie have taken a strong influence from another song and made almost their own version of it.

Joey is the perfect example. Jon loves Elton John's Levon and clearly he wanted to try and create something similar himself.

Is their anything sinister about this or any insinuation that Jon or Richie can't write their own songs or don't have their own ideas? Of course not and anyone who suggests it is a bloody idiot.

Jon/Richie have more songwriting credits than a thousand other artists. Their songs have appeared on a dozen other artists records. And for all their songs that sound somewhat similar to others...it ALWAYS sounds like a Bon Jovi song.

Aside from that their true masterpieces of song craft, the Dry County and These Days and Keep The Faith, and lets not forget Livin On A Prayer.

I kinda don't see the point in this and the other thread.

gabriele 06-21-2012 08:55 PM

Only lonely = Notte Rosa by Umberto Tozzi

Supersonic 06-21-2012 11:08 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1084851)
I don't want to because I don't care about this topic enough to do so. You are just creating an illusion. When they say they go to Nashville to write with other artists, I believe they do so. They are writers. Not every song on their album is 100% theirs. Some might be 10% and some might be 90%.

If Jon wrote the verse and someone wrote the chorus, so what! I really don't care and neither should anyone else.

I'll bet you 100 dollars you can't make a list of 20 songs of any other artist similar like the one I made for Bon Jovi. You just said you can do it with any artist, but now you don't want to back up your statements "because you don't care enough to do so." You can't.

I'm not implying Bon Jovi doesn't go to Nashville to write with others, I'm not saying the songs they co-wrote with others have been solely written by the co-writers either. However, the songs listed so far are very obvious examples of where Bon Jovi got their inspiration from. It wouldn't be such a bad thing either if they'd just take parts of songs ythey'd like and put them in their own songs. However, if you need to completely steal a chord pattern from start to finish in order to get your point across then what's the point of writing the song anyway? You might as well cover the original.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1084855)
This topic basically contradicts your other one because here you are stating that they steal songs and the other one you are saying that they don't write them so in essence....... The person writing their songs are stealing them....

You're making stuff up now, it's as if you can't separate one thing from the other. Some songs have been written by others completely, and then there's songs they wrote while pretty much nicking the melody from another song. It's not rocket science now is it? If the whole concept is to difficult to understand don't get involved in the discussion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1084855)
Look, Bon Jovi would not be around for 30 years if they were stealing from other artists... And even if they blatantly stole a guitar riff, Jon still wrote the lyrics, with a catch chorus and melody.

When Jon and Richie get together to write a new album, I believe they do so. What ends up on the final album might will not be 100% theirs but that how I believe it all starts.... Jon and Richie (and maybe some friends later on)

Twist it as much as you'd like but I'm not buying either topic. Not without hard facts

No one is saying they're not writing things themselves. However, if you want hard facts, they're pretty much presented in this topic. If you don't hear the similarities in the songs that's pretty much your incapability. It doesn't mean that the facts aren't true. Anyone can hear Capt. Crash is a direct rip off from Stay Young, up to the point where Jon's put the word Invincible. Stay Young was released in 1997. Capt. Crash was released in 2000. What's not to understand here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 1084857)
Their are definitely times Jon/Richie have taken a strong influence from another song and made almost their own version of it.

Joey is the perfect example. Jon loves Elton John's Levon and clearly he wanted to try and create something similar himself.

Yeah, but again, what's the point? It's like re-inventing the wheel. Why try to write a song that's already been written and then claim it's completely your own? In the end it's just a rip off, whether you like it or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 1084857)
Jon/Richie have more songwriting credits than a thousand other artists. Their songs have appeared on a dozen other artists records. And for all their songs that sound somewhat similar to others...it ALWAYS sounds like a Bon Jovi song.

Aside from that their true masterpieces of song craft, the Dry County and These Days and Keep The Faith, and lets not forget Livin On A Prayer.

I kinda don't see the point in this and the other thread.

The thing is, you're pointing out that Faith and Prayer have been written by the band while both songs have a very strong hand of Desmond in it. I'm not saying they've never written a song by themselves, but considering how the rumors of them having ghost writers having been around ever since Slippery it should make you wonder what actually does come from their hand. Simply accepting that These Days was solely written by Jon simply because he wrote Dry County as well is living in denial of everything that's offered to you. Everything sounding like Bon Jovi isn's that true either, the songs have radically changed since Crush, which happens to be when more and more co-writers got involved as well. Bon Jovi sounding like Bon Jovi has more to do with the producers and the sound of the band than with the songs itself. However, if Bon Jovi are capable of covering any song and make it sound like one of their own, how difficult would it be for them to do the same with songs they nick of others? Their rendition of I Won't Back Down sounded like a Bon Jovi song to me, and so does Thief Of Hearts. Is that a co-incidence as well?

Considering the replies on here it almost seems that people are incapable of discussing this, feeling attacked by someone who's questioning the sincerety of their heroes and the songs they've written. It seems like it doesn't matter how much proof you (not you crashed, but you as in the people who doubt the entire story in general) get, you've made up your mind that Jon and Richie start the songs and then add a co-writer, which just isn't true. Just because that's what Jon wants you to believe doesn't mean that it's true.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Rdkopper 06-22-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1084873)
Aloha !

I'll bet you 100 dollars you can't make a list of 20 songs of any other artist similar like the one I made for Bon Jovi. You just said you can do it with any artist, but now you don't want to back up your statements "because you don't care enough to do so." You can't.

I'm not implying Bon Jovi doesn't go to Nashville to write with others, I'm not saying the songs they co-wrote with others have been solely written by the co-writers either. However, the songs listed so far are very obvious examples of where Bon Jovi got their inspiration from. It wouldn't be such a bad thing either if they'd just take parts of songs ythey'd like and put them in their own songs. However, if you need to completely steal a chord pattern from start to finish in order to get your point across then what's the point of writing the song anyway? You might as well cover the original.

You're making stuff up now, it's as if you can't separate one thing from the other. Some songs have been written by others completely, and then there's songs they wrote while pretty much nicking the melody from another song. It's not rocket science now is it? If the whole concept is to difficult to understand don't get involved in the discussion.

No one is saying they're not writing things themselves. However, if you want hard facts, they're pretty much presented in this topic. If you don't hear the similarities in the songs that's pretty much your incapability. It doesn't mean that the facts aren't true. Anyone can hear Capt. Crash is a direct rip off from Stay Young, up to the point where Jon's put the word Invincible. Stay Young was released in 1997. Capt. Crash was released in 2000. What's not to understand here?

Yeah, but again, what's the point? It's like re-inventing the wheel. Why try to write a song that's already been written and then claim it's completely your own? In the end it's just a rip off, whether you like it or not.

The thing is, you're pointing out that Faith and Prayer have been written by the band while both songs have a very strong hand of Desmond in it. I'm not saying they've never written a song by themselves, but considering how the rumors of them having ghost writers having been around ever since Slippery it should make you wonder what actually does come from their hand. Simply accepting that These Days was solely written by Jon simply because he wrote Dry County as well is living in denial of everything that's offered to you. Everything sounding like Bon Jovi isn's that true either, the songs have radically changed since Crush, which happens to be when more and more co-writers got involved as well. Bon Jovi sounding like Bon Jovi has more to do with the producers and the sound of the band than with the songs itself. However, if Bon Jovi are capable of covering any song and make it sound like one of their own, how difficult would it be for them to do the same with songs they nick of others? Their rendition of I Won't Back Down sounded like a Bon Jovi song to me, and so does Thief Of Hearts. Is that a co-incidence as well?

Considering the replies on here it almost seems that people are incapable of discussing this, feeling attacked by someone who's questioning the sincerety of their heroes and the songs they've written. It seems like it doesn't matter how much proof you (not you crashed, but you as in the people who doubt the entire story in general) get, you've made up your mind that Jon and Richie start the songs and then add a co-writer, which just isn't true. Just because that's what Jon wants you to believe doesn't mean that it's true.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I don't know how it was in the UK but during the mid to late 90's there was a trend out called "sampling". P Diddy made a career out of it so IMO, that is blatantly steeling.... Jon stealing Joey from Levon is not obvious. They both share a story about a specific individual but that's it as far as my ears go. They sound nothing alike. Bon Jovi has written over 300 songs. Bon Jovi has influences. When Jon wrote Dyin Ain't Much Of A Living" he said he had Elton in mind and then was lucky enough to get him to sing on the song. He's not stealing anything.

There are Influences, Trends, and Coincidences.... But the point you're trying to make with this post is, Jon has no originality. Regardless if you're a Jon supporter or not, Jon is not out stealing songs.

If you need a list of Bon Jovi songs that have something in common with others, look at old posts. There are 20 of them out there all with the same songs.

crashed 06-22-2012 09:41 AM

I think Joey and Levon sound VERY alike. It's the one instance I'll say where Jon has definitely copied another song...why, just because he likes it I guess.

Seb, your right...maybe it is a little like reinventing the wheel. I still don't see the problem with it. Just like any book you ever pick-up is hardly likely to be a new kind of story no-ones ever read...just a new take on it or a different feel and writing style.

I get what your saying about Desmond but in many ways, he's been so much a part of Jovi since Slippery that he's almost the invisible band member. We all know Jovi may not have had massive hits without him. But oddly, most of my favourite Jovi songs are the ones credited to Jon or Richie alone.

I certainly don't think for example anyone else but Jon had any input into Dry County or Bed Of Roses came from anyone but Jon. It just sounds too honest, as does most of the songwriting on These Days.

The problem really is what we've discussed before, since 2000 they've been chasing the hits and using any style and influence to get there. But you all know I loved The Circle...so the point is I enjoy it no matter who wrote most of the songs on it.

Remember some of the most classic songs of all-time were never written by the artists that made them famous, but by a building full of songwriters in New York or somewhere.

I don't think it makes it any less genuine because of that.

Jovi are my heroes, but I know this band for what it is. Sometimes it's not pretty, their are very mafia-like shady dealings in all sort of corners not just with songwriting and Jon changes his story as much as his haircuts.

None of it matters. Being in a stadium full of Bon Jovi fans singing Livin' On A Prayer is the single, most joyful experience I have every few years. That's why I'm a believer and always will be.

kleman 06-22-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 1084889)
I think Joey and Levon sound VERY alike. It's the one instance I'll say where Jon has definitely copied another song...why, just because he likes it I guess.

Seb, your right...maybe it is a little like reinventing the wheel. I still don't see the problem with it. Just like any book you ever pick-up is hardly likely to be a new kind of story no-ones ever read...just a new take on it or a different feel and writing style.

I get what your saying about Desmond but in many ways, he's been so much a part of Jovi since Slippery that he's almost the invisible band member. We all know Jovi may not have had massive hits without him. But oddly, most of my favourite Jovi songs are the ones credited to Jon or Richie alone.

I certainly don't think for example anyone else but Jon had any input into Dry County or Bed Of Roses came from anyone but Jon. It just sounds too honest, as does most of the songwriting on These Days.

The problem really is what we've discussed before, since 2000 they've been chasing the hits and using any style and influence to get there. But you all know I loved The Circle...so the point is I enjoy it no matter who wrote most of the songs on it.

Remember some of the most classic songs of all-time were never written by the artists that made them famous, but by a building full of songwriters in New York or somewhere.

I don't think it makes it any less genuine because of that.

Jovi are my heroes, but I know this band for what it is. Sometimes it's not pretty, their are very mafia-like shady dealings in all sort of corners not just with songwriting and Jon changes his story as much as his haircuts.

None of it matters. Being in a stadium full of Bon Jovi fans singing Livin' On A Prayer is the single, most joyful experience I have every few years. That's why I'm a believer and always will be.

Well writen, I 100% agree, specialy with last quote!

DevilsSon 06-22-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashed (Post 1084889)

I still can't believe Richie doesn't get any credit for Dry County. It's outrageous. When Jon came in the studio with it, it was a 4 minute song. Richie wanted it an EPIC. While Jon will have probably come up with the lyrics and most of the melody, I am sure there are songs in the Jovi catalogue for which Richie got credit for way less than he's done on Dry County. Just ridiculous.

Guns N' Roses used to split credits between all band members, all getting 20%, maybe Axl getting slightly more. Even the drummers would get credit. There is NO ****IN' WAY Jon Bon Bon should be the only one credited for Dry County. It's still beyond my imagination really. There must be a weird deal struck there (My hypothesis, lots of cash went into Richie's bank account to leave Jon all the merits of that).

Rdkopper 06-22-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1084891)
I still can't believe Richie doesn't get any credit for Dry County. It's outrageous. When Jon came in the studio with it, it was a 4 minute song. Richie wanted it an EPIC. While Jon will have probably come up with the lyrics and most of the melody, I am sure there are songs in the Jovi catalogue for which Richie got credit for way less than he's done on Dry County. Just ridiculous.

Guns N' Roses used to split credits between all band members, all getting 20%, maybe Axl getting slightly more. Even the drummers would get credit. There is NO ****IN' WAY Jon Bon Bon should be the only one credited for Dry County. It's still beyond my imagination really. There must be a weird deal struck there (My hypothesis, lots of cash went into Richie's bank account to leave Jon all the merits of that).

Interesting.... I never knew DC was initially just a 4 minute song.

But taking into consideration everything you said, if Jon came into the studio with a completed song... And Richie said, lets make it EPIC and I'll add three minutes of extra guitar. If I was Jon, I'd say cool ideal Richie but I'm still getting complete F-ing song writing credit for this song.

Now that I think about it, DC is a rip-off of November Rain

Captain_jovi 06-22-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1084896)
Interesting.... I never knew DC was initially just a 4 minute song.

But taking into consideration everything you said, if Jon came into the studio with a completed song... And Richie said, lets make it EPIC and I'll add three minutes of extra guitar. If I was Jon, I'd say cool ideal Richie but I'm still getting complete song writing credit for this.

Now that I think about it, DC is a rip-off of November Rain

I didn't know it was initially a 4 minute song either, I'd love to hear a source for that fact.

I think they came out too close to each other for one to rip off the other. That and I don't hear the similarities apart from both being long songs with big guitar solos.

DevilsSon 06-22-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1084897)
I didn't know it was initially a 4 minute song either, I'd love to hear a source for that fact.

I think they came out too close to each other for one to rip off the other. That and I don't hear the similarities apart from both being long songs with big guitar solos.

I'll have a look. I'm sure I read it in an interview with Richie from 1998-ish when he put out Undiscovered Soul and he said something like Jon came back with lyrics and the melody but it was just a normal 3-4 minute song. He wanted to make it an Epic so he pushed it and basically came up with the second half of the song.

BonJovi100 06-23-2012 01:14 AM

Ok. There have many songs which are "inspired" by others. Thats ok with me. If this is something more then band/record label who have rights to original song should get many for using their music. Ripping off is not good if original artist don't know about it (and say you can do this) or don't get money from them)work.

IF M.Martin gave BJ 90% of IML or D.Child gave BJ demo of Livin it's ok with me. BOn Jovi gave many song for others artists and thats also ok (Nothing, Cadilac Man, These Open Arms, One To Say Goodbye).Seb asked to show other band who have so many influences song as BJ... so for exampleLed Zeppelin

or Metallica (they ripped many more)

Billions of people think that Metallica made riff for "Ender Sandman but it's just ripped from Excel.

Some original versions of BIGGEST worlds hits. Listen before reading who ripped thats songs.

Many of biggest hits have "influences" from others artists fFor Example:
1 - Hotel California / 2 - My Sweet Lord / 3 - Ghostbuste / 4 - Surfin USA / 5 - Anybody Seen My Baby

Emisambora 06-23-2012 02:29 AM

Billy Squier - The Stroke

No need to mention the BJ song

Javier 06-23-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1084891)

Richie could have written 8 minutes of guitar work, he'd still be arranging it based on the song structure, chords and melodies Jon wrote. Credits for songwritting and arrangements are 2 different things and are paid for sepparately....

Edit: to add that i agree that the solos make the song and it wouldn't be a standout track without them, but as far as songwritting credit goes, it doesn't really matter.

DevilsSon 06-23-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1084915)
Richie could have written 8 minutes of guitar work, he'd still be arranging it based on the song structure, chords and melodies Jon wrote. Credits for songwritting and arrangements are 2 different things and are paid for sepparately....

Edit: to add that i agree that the solos make the song and it wouldn't be a standout track without them, but as far as songwritting credit goes, it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I know that. It's just that, it's not just a solo that is placed somewhere in the song. It completely changes the song structure. Then there's the intermezzo between the two solos and the riff just has Sambora written all over it. Maybe that's not enough to get song writing credits. Then again, I bet both Jon and Richie have done less for certain songs and still got their names on them.

I couldn't find the actual interview - but have a look at this:
Around 4:15, Richie pretty much says the same thing.

DevilsSon 06-23-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emisambora (Post 1084914)
Billy Squier - The Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbxL7o-6ZA

No need to mention the BJ song

Sorry, can't figure that one out. Which song is it? Sounds more like Def Leppard based their whole catalogue on ripping off this song.

KeepTheFaith2211 06-23-2012 01:31 PM

Bon Jovi's 'Thank You For Loving Me' is pretty much a direct rip of 'Garden Of Eden' by Guns N' Roses.

Captain_jovi 06-23-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1084921)
Sorry, can't figure that one out. Which song is it? Sounds more like Def Leppard based their whole catalogue on ripping off this song.

I'd guess King of the Mountain.