Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2017 Jovi Awards (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69857)

Savvi 02-14-2017 06:06 AM

2017 Jovi Awards

Hi all! This part of the forum has been a little quiet lately so I thought I'd liven things up a bit with something I'd like to call the Jovi Awards.

Basically how it works is the Jovitalk community (us!) will vote on 10 different categories relating to the band by clicking the Nominations submission form below. Voters will have 10 days to submit their votes. At the end of the voting period, the top several submissions with the most votes in each category will be nominated for the award. At this point, voting will reopen, however this time only the nominees can be voted for.

The Jovi Award categories are...
  • Best Song Based on Lyrics
  • Best Song Based on Live Performance*
  • Best Outtake**
  • Best Song released between 1982-1999
  • Best Song released between 2000-2017
  • Best Music Video
  • Best Song Moment***
  • Most Underrated Song
  • Best Album Artwork
  • Worst Song

* Basically the best song that works live in concert
** Any song not on the standard version of the band's 13 studio albums or 2 major greatest hits albums (Bonus tracks and Burning Bridges song can be voted for).
*** A specific part of a song that you love (studio recordings only). It could be a solo, a riff, a chorus, a bridge, and outro, in intro, a vocal delivery... I think you get the point

VOTING RULES
  1. Once you have submitted your nominations, you need to post in this thread saying you have done so. This prevents anyone voting more than once (your username is a requirement in the submission form anyway).
  2. Answers are text based so please be specific with your submissions. Write song titles in full, not acronyms.
  3. Only band material can be nominated. Solo material by Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora and David Bryan can not be voted for.

And that's it! Your votes are not made public, but feel free to discuss your nominations in this thread. Remember, you only have 10 days to vote! This cannot be extended.

voting for nominees has closed

The final nominees will be announced once voting period ends. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
-----------------------
Nomination voting has closed and it is now time to vote a for a winner!! To see the final list of nominees, click here.

voting for a winner has closed
-----------------------

RESULTS
Pending

Thomas S 02-14-2017 07:23 AM

Cool idea. I did it.

symbeline 02-14-2017 10:13 AM

I love this but most of my picks for 2000-2017 come from Burning Bridges, I wish it was considered a regular album :(

I have like 20 favorite outtakes and only 5 favorite released songs for that period, really hard to narrow down to 8 outtakes and even harder to find 8 good released songs.

We don't have to fill in all the options right?

Savvi 02-14-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbeline (Post 1218262)
I love this but most of my picks for 2000-2017 come from Burning Bridges, I wish it was considered a regular album :(

I have like 20 favorite outtakes and only 5 favorite released songs for that period, really hard to narrow down to 8 outtakes and even harder to find 8 good released songs.

We don't have to fill in all the options right?

No you don't have to fill out all the options. Also, you can put outtakes in your favourite picks for 2000-2017 category. That's totally fine! You just can't pick studio album tracks in the outtakes category ;)

symbeline 02-14-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1218265)
No you don't have to fill out all the options. Also, you can put outtakes in your favourite picks for 2000-2017 category. That's totally fine! You just can't pick studio album tracks in the outtakes category ;)

Oh, I already chose. But I think it makes more sense to leave the outtakes out of the best released song category since they have their own. It's not fair to have the outtakes compete with most post 2000 songs hehe

What about a whole "Worst Of" awards? That was the easiest part! You could add worst lyrics, worst videos, worst albums...

Savvi 02-14-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symbeline (Post 1218266)
What about a whole "Worst Of" awards? That was the easiest part! You could add worst lyrics, worst videos, worst albums...

Haha! Not a bad idea.

LOL @ the person who put "King of the Mountain" as 9 of their 10 votes in the "worst song" category. Still only counts as one vote! :lol:

Some of my personal votes...

Make a Memory is easily my favourite music video, especially when paired with its lyrics. I think New Years Day is by far the most visually beautiful, while LYHOM gets a vote from me for being the best concert music video.

Bed of Roses, Letting You Go and Into the Echo (amongst others) have to get votes from me for best lyrics.

And as for best song moments, gotta give a vote to the Raise Your Hands riff, the EPIC ending to My Guitar Lies Bleeding, the iconic key change in Prayer and the bridge/Jon's scream in IBTFY.

Walleris 02-14-2017 01:25 PM

My question for "best moment" - does it have to be from the recording or does the live-only stuff count too? E.g. Saturday Night improvisations before the last chorus.

I would also include more categories towards live shows, e.g. best gig (pre-2000 and post), best tour; as well as individual performances by Jon and Richie, e.g. best vocal song, best guitar solo.

And I assume no "best album" nomination was because of the fact that we vote for it every few years?

Savvi 02-14-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1218269)
My question for "best moment" - does it have to be from the recording or does the live-only stuff count too? E.g. Saturday Night improvisations before the last chorus.

My intention was studio recording only.

Quote:

I would also include more categories towards live shows, e.g. best gig (pre-2000 and post), best tour; as well as individual performances by Jon and Richie, e.g. best vocal song, best guitar solo.

I did initially have a "best concert" category, but I though perhaps not many people would be able to list several specific shows. Having said that, we can do another set of awards later in the year.

Quote:

And I assume no "best album" nomination was because of the fact that we vote for it every few years?

Correct :) ... that and we know the winner will be either NJ or TD.

Walleris 02-14-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1218270)
I did initially have a "best concert" category, but I though perhaps not many people would be able to list several specific shows. Having said that, we can do another set of awards later in the year.

Wrong call dude, there are plenty of lunatic die-hards here that know which shows had special moments, amazing setlists, etc. :D

steel_horse75 02-14-2017 02:41 PM

done.......