Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Collateral -Angels crying (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70617)

Xavi 07-16-2019 10:44 AM

Collateral -Angels crying

That morning I started listening to the Runaway to the paradise-Mediterranean Spotify playlist.
Suddenly a familiar melody started sounding.
I checked the artist and the song,and listened to it till the end.
The melody,the pre chorus,the chorus and the final solo are totally a rip off of Walk Like A Man by BJ.
That is the song
https://youtu.be/se54is_R0XY

What do you think?

bonjovi90 07-16-2019 04:01 PM

Wow, that's really brutally obvious!
However, I know from a Canadian singer who was in negotiations with BJM for the rights on this song (probably for a cover) and it didn't work out. Maybe this band just was faster?

Captain_jovi 07-16-2019 04:50 PM

Jesus, even the word choices is close. This has to have been cleared right?

Thinny 07-16-2019 05:22 PM

Holy Rip off Batman. That's ridiculous. There's no way that they should get away with that!! And also...way to make a fantastic song sound like a run of the mill average tune. The cheesyness of it is embarressing...

Xavi 07-16-2019 08:55 PM

The fact is that this band is playing in the upcoming cruise from Barcelona and somebody from the BJ camp had to add that song to the Spotify playlist,so my questions are if that person knows that this song is a rip off of Walk like a man,if they dont know o evn worse,if they dont know Walk like a man?
What would Jon think if he listen to that song on the boat?
I have never listened to such an obvious rip off

jon-flp 07-16-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavi (Post 1257225)
What would Jon think if he listen to that song on the boat?

I think that Jon would not remember this song. :mrgreen:

Captain_jovi 07-16-2019 11:33 PM

The fact that they are playing the cruise leads me to think it was done through official channels and they got some credit maybe? I wonder what the involvement is.

Tictoc 07-17-2019 03:03 AM

For once Bon Jovi aren't the ones ripping off songs.

BonJovi100 07-25-2019 08:24 PM

Maybe it's one of this songs which are sending by ghost writers for others artists?

Captain_jovi 07-25-2019 09:00 PM

I think because Walk Like a Man was officially released they would have to be credited because it legally exists as a song, right?

YOVANAfromPeru 08-03-2019 06:33 AM

I just read this article about an artist and her record label to hand over $2.7 million for making a song that was too similar to a another song.

https://www.themix.net/2019/08/katy-...tian-rap-song/

Collateral is a small band,
I don't think Bon Jovi would like to sue a small band...
and they are actually fans of "Bon Jovi, The Eagles, Richie Sambora, Motley Crue, Alice Cooper and Stevie Ray Vaughn."

Supersonic 08-03-2019 06:55 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1258051)
I just read this article about an artist and her record label to hand over $2.7 million for making a song that was too similar to a another song.

https://www.themix.net/2019/08/katy-...tian-rap-song/

The Katy Perry lawsuit is ridiculous. There's a sample that's slightly similar to that of some Christian rapper but for whatever reason an expert claimed it was therefore stolen. That rapper's lucky the decision was made by a jury which once again shows regular people have no idea how music works and therefore most have no idea what's copied and what's not.

I also think once Bon Jovi would start sueing bands it'd open a can of worms for them as a lot of what they've done is either very similar or just "inspired" by other bands.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

BJFan99 08-04-2019 01:36 PM

Actually, there are shitloads of songs by other bands/artists that sound very similar to Bon Jovi. For example, Saturday Night and ITA say hello here:

https://youtu.be/CBrmpLatlak

rickysambo 08-04-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1258061)
Actually, there are shitloads of songs by other bands/artists that sound very similar to Bon Jovi. For example, Saturday Night and ITA say hello here:

Yeah, that's the riff/melody of Saturday night note for note!
I had stumbled upon this [0:20 onwards], and noticed similarities with Bon Jovi's Unbreakable riff,:

YOVANAfromPeru 08-04-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1258061)

‪that is not a so small band in South America, you can hear BJ in a lot of their songs... I think everybody knows, at least in SA, that they are big BJ fans and actually they opened for Bon Jovi in Argentina ‘17 and during their opening act they said so... I guess BJ are cool with that, I mean they at least would know who are their opening act.‬

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1258062)
Yeah, that's the riff/melody of Saturday night note for note!
I had stumbled upon this [0:20 onwards], and noticed similarities with Bon Jovi's Unbreakable riff,:
Lyircal: Aye Bachchu | Ghajini | Aamir Khan, Asin | A.R. Rahman | T-Series - YouTube

‪Wow!, maybe there’re a lot of BJ fans around the world? >_< jajajaj‬

YOVANAfromPeru 08-07-2019 11:38 PM

Ben Atkinson (Collateral drummer): "Without Bon Jovi there wouldn't be a Collateral."

Thinny 08-08-2019 12:18 PM

I dunno, I think its definitely ok to be influenced by a band and have similarities in the sound, but to blatantly rip off songs note for note...if it was me, I would be embarrassed to be in that band! The saturday night riff in that song even has the same guitar tone, and the guy is trying (badly) to sing in Jon's style. It's just awful.

Captain_jovi 08-08-2019 02:59 PM

Another interesting thing about the Saturday night rip-off, it's playing it how it's played live. On the studio version the riff is played a full octave down on the lower strings and I feel like that's the version most people know.

BJFan99 08-08-2019 03:29 PM

And here's another BJ rip-off band singing in Spanish - play this song back-to-back with ITA and you'll be shocked by the similarities...

https://youtu.be/FHOF9ncnHW4

Btw, Airbag (the band behind the Saturday Night rip-off) also have a song called "Doctora", which sounds strangely familiar:

https://youtu.be/gv8af4r95zs

Alphavictim 08-08-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1258169)
Btw, Airbag (the band behind the Saturday Night rip-off) also have a song called "Doctora", which sounds strangely familiar:

Bad Medicine aside, when the drums kick in during the intro, it's basically Enter Sandman.

The other track is just as blatant, even the bass drum usage is the same as for In These Arms. But I'll admit that the keys also readily lift stuff from Always.

JackieBlue 08-08-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1258155)
Ben Atkinson (Collateral drummer): "Without Bon Jovi there wouldn't be a Collateral."

Hey! At least they acknowledge the connection. Kudos for that! :)

YOVANAfromPeru 08-09-2019 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1258169)
And here's another BJ rip-off band singing in Spanish - play this song back-to-back with ITA and you'll be shocked by the similarities...

https://youtu.be/FHOF9ncnHW4

I don’t like these tracks at all... >_< jaja
They sound Unpleasant!!

Walleris 08-09-2019 05:37 AM

On semi-related note, Walk Like A Man is a quality tune.

It should have been the lead single of their "country album" and a perfect follow-up to the success of Who Says. It's catchy and I think it would have done well on country radio. Ballads (such as Make A Memory) are much better served as second singles. The LH song then went nowhere as a single, unsurprisingly. And they haven't had a hit since. Too bad.

It's a damn shame it wasn't even properly released and it's not on Spotify now. All we have is a shitty YouTube version of the song.

Thinny 08-09-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1258181)
On semi-related note, Walk Like A Man is a quality tune.

It should have been the lead single of their "country album" and a perfect follow-up to the success of Who Says. It's catchy and I think it would have done well on country radio. Ballads (such as Make A Memory) are much better served as second singles. The LH song then went nowhere as a single, unsurprisingly. And they haven't had a hit since. Too bad.

It's a damn shame it wasn't even properly released and it's not on Spotify now. All we have is a shitty YouTube version of the song.

Agree that it should have been the first single, such a missed opportunity. It was only ever available on the Target edition of the album.

Xavi 08-09-2019 01:31 PM

Since the first time I listened to Walk Like A Man,that song has always reminded me a lot to the These Days album.

Captain_jovi 08-09-2019 03:39 PM

Lonely gives me such a '94 vibe as well.

rickysambo 08-09-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1258186)
Lonely gives me such a '94 vibe as well.

Absolutely love Lonely, what a song.

YOVANAfromPeru 08-09-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1258184)
Agree that it should have been the first single, such a missed opportunity. It was only ever available on the Target edition of the album.

I LOVE Walk Like A Man too, but (You Want To) Make A Memory is better in my opinion.
Speaking of releases, Walk Like A Man was also in the Extras vinyl (vinyl box set 10.FEB.2017), they should play some of this in the concerts!!:
01 Someday I’ll Be Saturday Night
02 No Apologies
03 Postcards From The Wasteland
04 These Open Arms
05 Walk Like A Man
01 Neurotica
02 I Could Make A Living Out Of Loving You
03 What Do You Got!
04 Dirty Little Secret
05 Always

bonjovi90 08-09-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1258194)
I LOVE Walk Like A Man too, but (You Want To) Make A Memory is better in my opinion.

Speaking of releases, Walk Like A Man was also in the Extras vinyl (vinyl box set 10.FEB.2017), they should play some of this in the concerts!!:

02 No Apologies

04 These Open Arms

05 Walk Like A Man

01 Neurotica

03 What Do You Got!

04 Dirty Little Secret

05 Always

I bet Jon doesn't even remember half of these songs :D

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Nige 08-09-2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1258194)
02 No Apologies
04 These Open Arms
05 Walk Like A Man
01 Neurotica
03 What Do You Got!
04 Dirty Little Secret
05 Always

Is Always the demo version?

YOVANAfromPeru 08-10-2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1258202)
Is Always the demo version?

There’re not Greatest Hits on the box (like Cross Road) so Saturday Night and Always are the normal versions...

YOVANAfromPeru 08-27-2019 11:59 PM

with all the promotion for free that you did to this band >_<, I went to see them... lol, from what I listened they didn’t played this song, too bad ‘cause liked the high voice at the end and obviously because the similarity to Walk Like A Man, their other songs well... are not like Bon Jovi, but they did Rosie and it was a nice rendition.

semigoodlooking 08-30-2019 08:35 PM

As mentioned, Airbag, the South American band named in this thread for ripping Saturday Night supported Bon Jovi in Argentina in 2017.

It seems a good way to get on a Bon Jovi bill is to copy them.

There's that singer Cai from Argentina, who has basically based his whole (successful) career on copying Jon.

semigoodlooking 08-30-2019 08:40 PM

I agree Walk Like a Man would have been a better first single.

I also agree with Yovanna in that Memory is better. In fact, one of their few masterpieces this century. I never listen to it and have little desire to, which is why it shouldn't have been the lead single.

YOVANAfromPeru 08-31-2019 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1258662)
I agree Walk Like a Man would have been a better first single.

I also agree with Yovanna in that Memory is better. In fact, one of their few masterpieces this century. I never listen to it and have little desire to, which is why it shouldn't have been the lead single.

???
I don’t understand these semi ideas. What for you was better for lead single Memory or Walk Like A Man?

jazzsta 08-31-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1258677)
???
I don’t understand these semi ideas. What for you was better for lead single Memory or Walk Like A Man?

Things are not black and white Yovanna.

What semigood says is:

He thinks that Memory is a better song then Walk Like A Man.
He thinks Walk Like A Man would be better as the first single.
He actually thinks that Memory is a masterpiece.
He has no desire to listen to Memory, usually.

None of the above statements contradict each other. The world is colorful and full of nuances. Let's embrace that ;)

bonjovi90 08-31-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsta (Post 1258717)

None of the above statements contradict each other. The world is colorful and full of nuances. Let's embrace that ;)

Well, thinking that someone is so good to actually classify it as masterpiece and at the same time having no desire to listen to something you rate that high is a little contradiction to me ;)

Supersonic 08-31-2019 10:44 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1258718)
Well, thinking that someone is so good to actually classify it as masterpiece and at the same time having no desire to listen to something you rate that high is a little contradiction to me ;)

Considering a song a masterpiece of the last century doesn't take much when all we've gotten this century is Lost Highway, The Circle, What About Now and This House Is Not For Sale. There's hardly any good songs there.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Alphavictim 08-31-2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1258725)
Aloha !

Considering a song a masterpiece of the last century doesn't take much when all we've gotten this century is Lost Highway, The Circle, What About Now and This House Is Not For Sale. There's hardly any good songs there.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

That's neither this century (would include Crush, Bounce and HAND) nor this decade (wouldn't include LH - when was The Circle? 2009 or 2010?).

Supersonic 08-31-2019 11:10 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1258727)
That's neither this century (would include Crush, Bounce and HAND) nor this decade (wouldn't include LH - when was The Circle? 2009 or 2010?).

You're right actually, I mixed century up with decade. Even though that's wrong as well.

100 internet points for you sir. You have caught me at making a mistake.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan