Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Happy Birthday to The Circle! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70440)

Nige 11-02-2018 03:42 PM

Happy Birthday to The Circle!

9 years since it was released today (in the UK at least).

† ÀžžÀ † 11-02-2018 03:49 PM

The last good album by the real Bon Jovi.

Thinny 11-02-2018 04:02 PM

The beginning of the end for me... never really found much redeeming about this album at all. I feel it was a big drop in quality after Lost Highway, with an even bigger dip to follow with What About Now...

Alphavictim 11-02-2018 04:55 PM

The last proper band album, IMO. WAN was a hodgepodge and without Richie, the dynamics are just way different (the amount of outside writers, for one). That said, the performances are a tad too anemic to make the songs come to their full potential. Some really good stuff on here, but the pace is a tad plodding.

Jonny Sambora 11-02-2018 06:07 PM

last great album for me, followed by the last great tour.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bleeding Purist 11-13-2018 10:37 PM

Jesus.. It seems like just yesterday.

Yes, I do regard it as the last great album and the final great tour. It's why I am at peace today with the state of things. I invested in that tour and it fully delivered. There is really nothing the band can do to exceed it at this point short of new songs (While WAN was a dip, Thick As Thieves is way up there in the top group of all time favorite Bon Jovi songs,) which is why I got excited over the THINFS live listening parties. Jon will never be able to sing the songs I got to hear on that tour and I accept that reality. It was going to come.

Meanwhile, I have memories like this one from the tour:

steel_horse75 11-18-2018 11:57 AM

Happy Birthday to The Circle!

Average album that sounds better than it is due to WAN andTHINFS.
TC was voted one of the worst albums of the year and is hard to disagree.
3 or 4 good songs and the rest are dull and boring.
Enjoyed the 02 gigs even though they didn’t play an album In full as they hinted they would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazzsta 11-20-2018 12:50 PM

This album is very "meh" for me.

Half of the songs are boring and half are very good as songs, but the performance/sound/production/orchestration is mediocre.

Love's the only rule, Brokenpromiseland, Thorn in my side, Bullet are highlights IMO.

I don't like WWWB as much. Maybe if it was performed by '95 BJ I d like it.

jovifan93 11-20-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1247375)
Jesus.. It seems like just yesterday.

Yes, I do regard it as the last great album and the final great tour. It's why I am at peace today with the state of things. I invested in that tour and it fully delivered. There is really nothing the band can do to exceed it at this point short of new songs (While WAN was a dip, Thick As Thieves is way up there in the top group of all time favorite Bon Jovi songs,) which is why I got excited over the THINFS live listening parties. Jon will never be able to sing the songs I got to hear on that tour and I accept that reality. It was going to come.

Meanwhile, I have memories like this one from the tour:
Wild Is The Wind & Never Say Goodbye, Bruges, July 24, 2011 - YouTube

Yeah, last great (band) album for me, too. And nice to see Thick As Thieves getting some appreciation, I just love that song :-)

Walleris 11-20-2018 01:40 PM

Poor album.

I consider it their worst work post-Slippery, even if WAN gives it a run for their (our?) money. Superman Tonight is the only song that has some replayable qualities for me; even stuff I initially liked (e.g. Love's The Only Rule, Thorn in My Side, Happy Now) just sounds boring now.

The tour, on the other hand, start to finish, was their late-career renaissance and I'm so happy to be able to see them before it all went downhill.