Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Should Jon Start Miming? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70894)

Butters 04-05-2022 10:40 PM

Should Jon Start Miming?

Since Jon seems determined to continue touring, do you think he should start miming during shows?

There was a time when I couldn't think that anything would do more damage to their reputation than becoming a mime act but now I think it would be better than what Jon is doing on stage.

Thinny 04-05-2022 11:43 PM

God no.

Lip syncing the odd high line here and there I can forgive. But the whole show. No. I don't think Jon would even allow himself to do that. It would end what little credibility they have left.

Javier 04-05-2022 11:50 PM

I saw a promo show The Offspring did to promote their latest album. Dexter was miming the whole way through, it was so obvious and pathetic. I'd rather Jon just continue sucking knowing he sucks and give his heart and soul on that stage like the rockstar that he is. Even if the end result is what we unfortunately have.

steel_horse75 04-06-2022 12:00 AM

No miming. Just stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blazeofglory 04-06-2022 12:32 AM

Nah I’d rather have the real thing with all its flaws than an empty shiny polished illusion.

If he’s singing live, even if he’s struggling hard, he’s at least putting his heart and soul into it and you get real emotions in the performance. If he was miming it wouldn’t be much different from watching people lip sync to songs on social media or watching a music video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kriegentragen 04-06-2022 02:42 AM

Should Jon Start Miming?

No! God! Please no!

That would mean that he has really touched hard bottom.

Even as hurt as it is, I prefer Jon’s real voice than a fake. At least the real thing means that they still care. I even wish he didn’t do it at Prayer (and let the public or someone else in the band to handle it).

Let’s keep the lipsync for RuPaul’s Drag Race.

musiccritic101 04-06-2022 02:47 AM

No I don’t think Jon should lip sync an entire show, despite my reservations towards Jon’s current voice I’d rather hear him sing live even if he struggles through an entire song or set list. Like all of us I’ve kinda accepted the way Jon’s voice sounds. Aside from the obvious high note playback track on Prayer Jon is way too old skool to lip sync an entire set.

Litneg 04-06-2022 04:02 AM

No, just no! Even though things are the way they are! Just no!

angelsambo 04-10-2022 02:59 AM

talking about miming

Butters 04-12-2022 11:22 PM

This captures the spirit of my original message very well, I think. I too agree that miming should never be done and that Jon should retire, HOWEVER, if Jon is adamant about staying out on the road and destroying the legacy of the band then why not start miming. I'm sure that 99% of people who go to a Bon Jovi show (a) wouldn't notice if he lip-synched and (b) would leave thinking it was a kick-ass show. I can't imagine 99% of people leaving a Bon Jovi concert since 2015 thought it was a kick-ass show.

Myguitar 04-13-2022 12:44 AM

I don't think the performance is worth the price of admission right now, and even more so if they were to lip synch.

I've been skipping their tours since 2005ish, and I only went in 2013 to take my wife to her first Bon Jovi show. It happened to be the first show without Richie. I wouldn't mind catching them again live but there would have to be something to draw me in at that kind of price. I think Bon Jovi as a band ended sometime around 2005-2006 - now there are too many hired guns, a complete change in musical direction, no sense of musicianship on any of the new music, etc.

It's a NO to miming from me, and I'd add that there should be a concrete no to all touring as well. Jon is shot, at least he has his health and should do whatever to hang on to that.

JoviForever 04-13-2022 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1278547)
Since Jon seems determined to continue touring, do you think he should start miming during shows?

There was a time when I couldn't think that anything would do more damage to their reputation than becoming a mime act but now I think it would be better than what Jon is doing on stage.

No - just call it a day for god’s sake!

rolo_tomachi 04-16-2022 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1278549)
I saw a promo show The Offspring did to promote their latest album. Dexter was miming the whole way through, it was so obvious and pathetic. I'd rather Jon just continue sucking knowing he sucks and give his heart and soul on that stage like the rockstar that he is. Even if the end result is what we unfortunately have.

Right.

Jon is 60 years old, if he feels like he still wants to tour, so be it, but No miming, because if he does that, his low performances would become a scam.

Bon Jovi does not belong to us. We are nobody to tell an artist to stop being an artist. Jon should not take the example of Kiss(a fraud), but of Bob Dylan (the real thing), a guy who barely has a voice left but his passion for playing his songs is enough to keep him going.

Litneg 04-17-2022 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1279123)
Right.

Jon is 60 years old, if he feels like he still wants to tour, so be it, but No miming, because if he does that, his low performances would become a scam.

Bon Jovi does not belong to us. We are nobody to tell an artist to stop being an artist. Jon should not take the example of Kiss(a fraud), but of Bob Dylan (the real thing), a guy who barely has a voice left but his passion for playing his songs is enough to keep him going.

Just like the Last Man Standing.

Gabriel Shoes 04-17-2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriegentragen (Post 1278560)
No! God! Please no!

That would mean that he has really touched hard bottom.

Even as hurt as it is, I prefer Jon’s real voice than a fake. At least the real thing means that they still care. I even wish he didn’t do it at Prayer (and let the public or someone else in the band to handle it).

Let’s keep the lipsync for RuPaul’s Drag Race.

Got front row in 2019 and he was clearly lip syncing to me in many parts of the songs.

Butters 04-17-2022 10:00 PM

Don't all the songs on the setlist with dots beside them indicate that they use playback?

richiefan95 04-28-2022 09:42 AM

He now started miming full songs

Nige 04-28-2022 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1279169)
Don't all the songs on the setlist with dots beside them indicate that they use playback?

Yes they do.

Captain_jovi 04-28-2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1279553)
Yes they do.

I've gone back and forth on this and I'm not sure that's what it is.

If a dot = sampling/triggers/playback shouldn't Keep The Faith have it? Granted I know Dave triggers that one. American Reckoning is so bare bones, I'm not sure what could be added there and it has a dot. The rest of the ones with dots make sense to me though backing vocal wise. The Woah's in Limitless etc.

Javier 04-28-2022 06:09 PM

This is what happens. It's pretty common knowledge that the dots mean the song has backing tracks, which means anything from backing vocals, strings, to an actual drum or guitar track underneath the mix to fill out the sound. Now that Jon went ahead and mimed 1 performance, all of a sudden people imply that they're 100% sure the dots mean those songs are playback. 1 stupid decision, and now the entire integrity they've always had is suddenly in doubt....

bonjovi90 04-28-2022 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1279568)
This is what happens. It's pretty common knowledge that the dots mean the song has backing tracks, which means anything from backing vocals, strings, to an actual drum or guitar track underneath the mix to fill out the sound. Now that Jon went ahead and mimed 1 performance, all of a sudden people imply that they're 100% sure the dots mean those songs are playback. 1 stupid decision, and now the entire integrity they've always had is suddenly in doubt....

No one implied a full playback. They have backing tracks (which are close to playback since they include Jon's vocals) for certain parts of certain songs and have had those for 30 years. There are recordings from 1993 where you can hear Jon's voice in In These Arms even though he wasn't at the microphone. Having these kind of tracks to get a fuller sound isn't that rare in the industry though.

B.J. Always 04-28-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1279572)
No one implied a full playback. They have backing tracks (which are close to playback since they include Jon's vocals) for certain parts of certain songs and have had those for 30 years. There are recordings from 1993 where you can hear Jon's voice in In These Arms even though he wasn't at the microphone. Having these kind of tracks to get a fuller sound isn't that rare in the industry though.

It is now on YouTube about the miming so the people here aren't the only ones to notice. This is so sad. I honestly would have rather him just thrown the mic away like he did the harmonica and let someone in the band finish the song no matter what that would have sounded like!