Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The end of #1 albums. (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70723)

Captain_jovi 07-14-2020 04:33 AM

The end of #1 albums.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...ticket-bundles

Interesting!

Thinny 07-14-2020 11:11 AM

Interesting! That will upset a lot of labels, but I think it's a good move. I always felt like it was cheating their way to number one...

I think it will be really interesting to see where the band actually charts without people having the album forced upon them...

EDIT: It seems that they can still offer it as part of ticket sales, but you have to manually redeem the CD and only redeemed CDs will count towards the chart, I wonder what percentage are actually redeemed?

Captain_jovi 07-14-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1265544)
Interesting! That will upset a lot of labels, but I think it's a good move. I always felt like it was cheating their way to number one...

I think it will be really interesting to see where the band actually charts without people having the album forced upon them...

EDIT: It seems that they can still offer it as part of ticket sales, but you have to manually redeem the CD and only redeemed CDs will count towards the chart, I wonder what percentage are actually redeemed?

I can't imagine it's a lot, at least not CLOSE to the numbers counted now. Especially with people going to multiple shows, I doubt they know they'd to redeem it per each show to help the band's numbers.

rolo_tomachi 07-14-2020 03:35 PM

Well, here is something positive for the change in current music, since many artists who try to emerge are devoured by artists from the industry who are commercial trash driven by the great majors. This will level the game, and possibly change the state of the current music for new and promising talents.

About the end of the numbers 1 regarding BJ, I will only say that ... never underestimate Jon regarding the business.

JackieBlue 07-14-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265541)

Thanks for posting that. It clears up my confusion about why he suddenly seemed to be okay with releasing the album in October, knowing they wouldn't be able to bundle tickets. I'd about decided that maybe he just figured he might as well, since God knows how long he'd have to sit on it if he waited to tour. Now it all makes more sense.

Captain_jovi 07-14-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1265560)
Thanks for posting that. It clears up my confusion about why he suddenly seemed to be okay with releasing the album in October, knowing they wouldn't be able to bundle tickets. I'd about decided that maybe he just figured he might as well, since God knows how long he'd have to sit on it if he waited to tour. Now it all makes more sense.

I don't know if he knew. It looks like the cutoff point is October 2 and after, which is the date of release. Does that stand to reason if it was a week prior the bundle still counts? Though with the entire tour cancelled and refunded it'd be starting from scratch. So theoretically tickets would have to be back on sale with an album release date of September 25th to count.

Anyone know if that's accurate?

JoviForever 07-14-2020 07:05 PM

They haven’t had a number 1 album in the UK since Crush If I remember correctly.

bonjovi90 07-14-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviForever (Post 1265565)
They haven’t had a number 1 album in the UK since Crush If I remember correctly.

That's right, from Bounce to WAN, all the albums landed on number 2 in the UK charts.

Alphavictim 07-14-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265562)
I don't know if he knew. It looks like the cutoff point is October 2 and after, which is the date of release. Does that stand to reason if it was a week prior the bundle still counts? Though with the entire tour cancelled and refunded it'd be starting from scratch. So theoretically tickets would have to be back on sale with an album release date of September 25th to count.

Anyone know if that's accurate?

Considering the way the US is handling the whole Covid situation, touring domestically in 2020 doesn't seem exactly in the cards.

Captain_jovi 07-14-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1265573)
Considering the way the US is handling the whole Covid situation, touring domestically in 2020 doesn't seem exactly in the cards.

Not at all, I more meant if they were to announce dates for towards the end of 2021, if these would count if it's under that deadline. Not that I think they would/should, more curious.