Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New Fan Club Package Updates (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70782)

steel_horse75 05-14-2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273680)
What percentage were men to begin with? Genuinely asking, I came on board in 2000 and even my first show in Feb of 2003 was I would say 75% female, 25% male and that was when Jon was (arguably I guess) more of the sex symbol rock star than he is today.

I'd say at start it was a 50/50 split maybe.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 05-14-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1273682)
I'd say at start it was a 50/50 split maybe.

Oh wow. I feel like even at Crush times it never looked that equal.

Thinny 05-14-2021 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273683)

I think it was much more of an equal split in the 80s, at least here in the UK. I think it was the 90s when the audience started to become more female than male. By Crush I'm have to say that I was almost embarressed to wear a Bon Jovi shirt as they were almost seen as a band women liked. In fact, I don't think I've owned a Bon Jovi shirt since the Crush tour.

Edit: That's a lie. I got a Have A Nice Day shirt from the Nokia Theatre Show in NYC

Faceman 05-14-2021 07:46 PM

I'd say even back during Slippery the audience was more female than male. I think Michael Francis talks about it in his book. At least he said the Bon Jovi audience had the most beautiful girls he's ever seen for a rock show. And I'm pretty sure he wrote something about how the ratio changed with Slippery towards more girls and women than men.

Captain_jovi 05-14-2021 07:53 PM

Yeah it seems very short sighted to think that only NOW the band is starting to lose their male fan base. Territory wise, at least here in Canada, they've been a mom-band since I've been here. The amount of times I'd be at a show with a girl and someone would ask her how she got me to go and I have to say it's the other way around...

semigoodlooking 05-14-2021 11:04 PM

As long as I have been following Bon Jovi seriously, since the height of These Days, they have always been called a girls band as far as I can tell. In fact, I think that reputation has decreased in recent years. I used to get all kinds of stick from my friends because of that. Even in the UK, you don't have to look far at a live show to realize it's mostly girls and a lot of guys along with their wife.

It's fine, I don't feel insecure enough about it to pretend it has ever been anywhere near 50/50 other than for a short window during the 80s. However we cut it, Jon was an incredibly good-looking guy and that draws a certain audience. My problem with it is that I cannot get my head around lapping everything up just because someone is hot.

steel_horse75 05-14-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1273683)

My first gig was 1990 and even up until crossroads it was a 50/50 split.

Then along come Always.....

semigoodlooking 05-15-2021 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1273689)
My first gig was 1990 and even up until crossroads it was a 50/50 split.

Then along come Always.....

Why did Always swing it when Bed of Roses or I'll Be There for You not?

I just find it hard to believe that half of the people buying Bon Jovi records and going to shows was 50/50 until the mid-90s.

Anyway, we are arguing about something that doesn't matter. No matter what the situation is with a female audience or not, it is clear the sterotype Bon Jovi fan (housewife) is carrying the band through all these money spinning projects that we see as failures but are probably not.

YOVANAfromPeru 05-15-2021 02:00 AM

Jon was "hot" until Have A Nice Day tour.
I wouldn't be ashamed of wearing an old Bon Jovi T-shirt, these days.
Boys were more Richie fans.

Captain_jovi 05-15-2021 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1273690)
Why did Always swing it when Bed of Roses or I'll Be There for You not?

I just find it hard to believe that half of the people buying Bon Jovi records and going to shows was 50/50 until the mid-90s.

Anyway, we are arguing about something that doesn't matter. No matter what the situation is with a female audience or not, it is clear the sterotype Bon Jovi fan (housewife) is carrying the band through all these money spinning projects that we see as failures but are probably not.

Bed of Roses wasn't that successful in certain areas but Always was huge EVERYWHERE is probably the biggest difference.

Agreed with your last part whole heartedly.