Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Guitar: Bounce Intro (song) (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70078)

Faceman 08-29-2017 06:16 PM

Guitar: Bounce Intro (song)

To all those guitar players around here,

what does Richie play as the intro riff to Bounce?
All the tabs you can find don't sound right and I wasn't able to figure it out yet.

Alphavictim 08-29-2017 06:49 PM

Richie plays octave chords, Jon plays the bass notes via power chords.

Lead (add the octaved notes on the G string, easier to read this way since the forums' font screws up tablature over multiple lines):
A |-6-6-6-6-5-5-6-6-|-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-|-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-|

It's usually notated as a dotted quarted note rhythm in the first bar, so the D# is only played 3 times, but it's hard to tell with the fuzzy tone. These are the correct notes anyway - D#, D, D#, g, D, C.

Rhythm are power chords - C5, D#5, A#5, G#5

You can play it all on one guitar - play the lead notes on the H string while holding down the power chords; so 4 3 4 on the H string over a C5 (making it a Cm, Csus2, Cm), 8 over the D#5 (making it a regular D#), 6 over a A#5 (so 6 on the H, 7 on the G, 8 on the D + power chord below), then down a 4 on the H string with the G# notes (5 on the G, 6 on the D) to make it a full chord + barred power chord)

I hope you get the idea, kinda hard to describe without a tab or pics. Technically speaking, it's Cm Csus2 Cm, D#, A#, G#

Faceman 08-29-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1227186)
I hope you get the idea, kinda hard to describe without a tab or pics.

Yeah, I think I got the idea. Thanks, man!

Nige 08-30-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1227186)
....play the lead notes on the H string...

What kind of crazy guitar do you have?!?!?

jazzsta 08-30-2017 02:36 PM

1) H is B. It is just gernan notation.

2) When you are at Cm, you should write Eb instead of D# and Bb instead of A#. Technically speaking :D

Nige 08-30-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsta (Post 1227194)
1) H is B. It is just gernan notation.

2) When you are at Cm, you should write Eb instead of D# and Bb instead of A#. Technically speaking :D

Ah fair enough - didn't know that thanks.

Alphavictim 08-30-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsta (Post 1227194)

Man, I was never goot at that stuff. But D IS within the boundaries of Cm, so why is the note a semitone above perceived as a diminished E, which is NOT part of the Cm scale?

jazzsta 08-30-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1227198)
Man, I was never goot at that stuff. But D IS within the boundaries of Cm, so why is the note a semitone above perceived as a diminished E, which is NOT part of the Cm scale?

Haha actually the answer lies exactly in your question!

In a way we always consider that there are only 7 notes (and not 12), and the other five are just "variations" of those seven.

So each major or minor scale (bar the pentatonics which by definition have just 5 notes) must have exactly one "variant" of each of the notes A,B,C,D,E,F,G.

The natural A minor scale has exactly these notes. So does the C major scale.

The notes of the natural C minor scale are C,D,Eb,F,G,Ab,Bb.

It could not have been D AND D# cause you are only allowed to have one variant of D in the scale. Actually, you MUST have exactly one variant of each note in the scale.

Alphavictim 08-30-2017 04:55 PM

So, if D is part of the scale, D# cannot be and is instead noted as Eb? Got it, thanks! Guess this goes back to traditional notation with sharps and flats that are applied to each line/note beforehand?