Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Last band/artist you've bought a ticket to see... (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=37630)

Kathleen 05-04-2010 09:31 PM

Simon and Garfunkel :D When they had to reschedule the spring tour they added a few dates in my area. Previously there were no dates close to me.

I guess I always assume that *this* time I see them will be their last. I saw them live last November at MSG for the R & R HOF 25th Anniversary show and they were excellent. I'm delighted that I get to see them, yet again, one more time.

C'monFeet 05-04-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferret (Post 986599)
Lucky bugger, he's one of the best comedians around today! That special he did on immigration for Channel 4 "Go Home" is classic, and of course, his cred is boosted infinitely by the fact he appeared on Newswipe.

Newswipe was when he sold out! ;)

Maybe three years or so, I saw his name mentioned next to Bill Hicks' from some guy's message board comments. Anyone who speaks clearly of dissafection, articulates an obvious way out, I will fall for.

This will be the third year I've seen him at the Leicester Square Theatre. The last two times have been as formative experiences as any music gig I've ever been to. I've been absolutely bent double holding my sides in, and reassured that I actually am sane and the world is ****ing nuts.

If you get him, you get him - and will travel the length of the country to see hime.

This time he's playing five nights - they've been on sale a fortnight or so and are all but sold out. You could have easily got tickets on the night two years ago.

Just download and take in everything you can.

C'monFeet 05-04-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 986600)
Simon and Garfunkel

You lucky bitch.

**** you. **** you. **** you.

Will be glad to meet you.

Kathleen 05-05-2010 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 986612)

Will be glad to meet you.

Be glad to meet you too. I take from your comments that you like S & G. :lol:

I have been a fan - literally since I've been 16 years old. I even talked a friend's older brother into taking me to their first concert at UCLA in 1967. I sure wish that technology existed then as it does now - I would love a recording of that show - I remember it as incredible.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 05-05-2010 08:49 AM

1927 (with Wa Wa Nee) :p

Miracle 05-08-2010 01:02 AM

The Trews :-D There are no words for how much I'm digging this band right now

Crushgen24/88 05-14-2010 11:10 PM

The Gaslight Anthem at The Stone Pony in August. With all the trouble I've had getting tickets to see them (For increasingly odd reasons, I've missed like 5 area shows since I got into them) there was no way I was missing this.

Lady_Luck 05-16-2010 12:59 AM

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, that was awesome! Pure rock'n'roll!!! I had such a great time. I recommend it highly!

C'monFeet 05-19-2010 06:11 PM

Gorillaz.

Next up on payday - Bad Religion and Cheap Trick.

Gorillaz @ London Roundhouse – 30/04/10

Up till very recently the opportunity to see Gorillaz performing live has been a rare experience to say the least. In the past, some of the band’s live appearances have relied heavily on complicated setups and lots of electronic trickery. And then, if you managed to get into their show, chances are most of the band would be shrouded in darkness or silhouetted behind a screen.

So, in contrast to the band’s gigs of old, it’s difficult to imagine how they might forge a more honest, genuinely protonic live experience than the one exhibited tonight at the London Roundhouse. The masterminds behind the fictional foursome – Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett – have finally come to the conclusion that keeping things human is best. And what a revelation it was for all present.

From the moment the orchestra entered in sailor-themed outfits it was clear that this was part gig, part theatrical performance. Gorillaz and almost all of their colossal collective were in residence, an impressive feat in itself. And with the likes of Paul Simonon, De La Soul and Bobby Womack alone, it’s not hard to see why a cosmopolitan crowd was drawn, such is the existential appeal of Gorillaz’ ensemble.

The sheer amount of special guests reminded you that Gorillaz is as much about its collaborators as it is about its illusive creators. Mos Def and Bobby Womack were the first to appear, laying down some electrifying vocals on ‘Stylo’. Womack poured everything he had into those herculean cries. He also produced the most moving performance of the night with his wistful, but illuminating, solo on ‘Cloud of Unknowing.’ The legendary soul artist, who only agreed to contribute to the band’s third album thanks to his daughter’s coaxing, was evidently moved by the audience’s reaction.

Throughout the night artists came and went, and the whole thing began to meander into the most fantastic, uplifting carnival performance one has ever seen. Bashy and Kano erupted on stage, getting as close to the crowd as they dared. The comedic combination of De La Soul and Gruff Rhys was undeniably infectious on ‘Superfast Jellyfish’, while Mos Def chorused his way through the exhaustively layered ‘Sweepstakes’. Throughout the performance, a large screen behind the band displayed Jamie Hewlett’s spectacular visuals adding that extra pizzazz to the already stunning event.

The soft, unthreatening voice of Yukimi Nagano (Little Dragon) struggled to be heard at times over the drums and swirling electro on ‘Empire Ants’, but she managed a beautiful duet with Damon in the lounging calypso of ‘To Binge’, the two of them drawing closer to each other as the song went on. With so many contributing artists (did I mention Bootie Brown, Shaun Ryder and Rosie Wilson where there?) the potential for some of them to underperform was high. But amazingly this capable crew of musicians never stooped below excellence for an instant.

Closing with crowd favourites ‘Feel Good Inc’ and ‘Clint Eastwood’, Gorillaz first London dates of 2010 were incredibly well received. It was a less technical affair, but one that still required military-like timing to pull off. Damon and company should be pleased they have finally struck a happy balance between the anonymity of Gorillaz’ studio albums and a newfound intimacy for the band’s live shows. Forget smoke and mirrors, because Gorillaz are as real as they need to be.

Aaron Lee (Words and photos)

hometownboy 05-19-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 988300)
Gorillaz.

Now that im pretty jealous of!

i was going to get tickets myself for the manchester show but with them being £45 i cant really afford it this month, waiting for a mate to get his act together so i can buy james tickets and them its money for london for bon jovi, bloody bon jovi!

maight have to see if i can work that one and pray im not on a fire exit lol