Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rank The 4 New Songs (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70725)

Rdkopper 07-24-2020 12:21 AM

Rank The 4 New Songs

I think Jon adding the two new songs as main album tracks was a mistake. I feel that it ruins the flow. This album was recorded in Memphis over a year ago... Two new added songs that were recorded in a different place and time will totally stand out.

Here is how I rank them in order from best to worst.

1. Limitless
2. Do What You Can
3. Unbroken
4. American Reckoning

Note: they are really in vocal order for me.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 07-24-2020 12:35 AM

1. Do What You Can
2. American Reckoning
3. Limitless
4. Unbroken

bonjovi90 07-24-2020 12:37 AM

9. Do What You Can
10. American Reckoning
11. Unbroken
12. Limitless

The other 6 album and 2 bonus tracks ought to save this.

Adam D 07-24-2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265902)
1. Do What You Can

2. American Reckoning

3. Limitless

4. Unbroken

Same

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

angelsambo 07-24-2020 01:14 AM

1. Unbroken

2. American Reckoning

3. Limitless

4. Do What You Can

→ all the new songs suck big time and they suck even more because of the awful,harmless and powerless production in combination with an uninspired guitar work

bjcrazycpa 07-24-2020 01:22 AM

1. Limitless
2. American Reckoning
3. Do What You Can
4. Unbroken

Slots 2 and 3 may switch once I listen to DWYC more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YOVANAfromPeru 07-24-2020 01:49 AM

1. Limitless
2. Do What You Can
3. American Reckoning
4. Unbroken

GabrielC 07-24-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1265901)
I think Jon adding the two new songs as main album tracks was a mistake. I feel that it ruins the flow. This album was recorded in Memphis over a year ago... Two new added songs that were recorded in a different place and time will totally stand out.

Isn't that what they did to Have a Nice Day? Okay, they rerecorded some songs, but some were added later too.

To me,
1. American Reckoning
2. Do What You Can
3. Limitless
4. Unbroken

IWantYou 07-24-2020 10:38 AM

1. Do What You Can
2. Limitless
3. American Reckoning
4. Unbroken

steel_horse75 07-24-2020 10:55 AM

I only like, and I use that word very loosely, Limitless.

So..

Limitless

Unbroken, American Reckoning and Do what you can - I dislike them all the same...a lot

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

steel_horse75 07-24-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabrielC (Post 1265916)
Isn't that what they did to Have a Nice Day? Okay, they rerecorded some songs, but some were added later too.

To me,

1. American Reckoning

2. Do What You Can

3. Limitless

4. Unbroken

They had to wirh HAND as the label rejected the original album saying there were no hits or singles on it.

**** knows that they make of 2020!

Johny 07-24-2020 11:39 AM

01. Do What You Can
02. Unbroken (choir version)
03. American Reckoning
04. Unbroken
05. Limitless

Thinny 07-24-2020 12:29 PM

1. American Reckoning
2. Do What You Can
3. Limitless
4. Unbroken

TheOriginalJez 07-24-2020 12:58 PM

This is like ranking my favourite dog turds. I mean it'd probably be a chihuahua first cos presumably they're only little, I'd then go up to the big dogs just for the easy handful. Then whichever dog is most prone to eating stuff that gives it diarrhoea last.

American Reckoning makes me least nauseous. So 1.
Limitless is the worst It's My Life clone so far, and that list includes Because We Can... 2, just because Billy Falcon put some moderately good wordplay in some of the verses.
Do What You Can only doesn't come last because I didn't hate the acoustic version.
Which makes Unbroken the diarrhetic poodle I suppose.

Done.

Captain_jovi 07-24-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1265922)
They had to wirh HAND as the label rejected the original album saying there were no hits or singles on it.

**** knows that they make of 2020!

If that story is true, why did all the singles come from the first batch of songs presented? I've heard the same anecdote but i think there's a middle ground. It's not like Wildflower, Novocaine, Last Cigarette and Story of My Life ever were released to public.

Bounce7800 07-24-2020 03:22 PM

1 Limitless
2 Do What You Can
3 American Reckoning
4 Unbroken

Xavi 07-24-2020 03:38 PM

1 Do What You Can
2 American Reckoning
3 Unbroken
4 Limitless

Alphavictim 07-24-2020 08:20 PM

1. Do What You Can - JBJ actually sounds good on this one, it's catchy, the lyrics are nice enough

2. Unbroken - good lyrics, it's more a conceptually nice song than one I listen to too often, but then again, the same is true for Right Side Of Wrong.

3. Limitless - good verses, a chorus we've heard before. There's simply too many songs they've done in this style that the tiny issues (arrangement, mostly) wouldn't hurt it.

4. American Reckoning - good lyrics, but JBJ sounds like absolute shit.

tzane 07-25-2020 10:27 AM

1. American Reckoning
2. Unbroken
3. Limtless
4. Do What You Can

I hate ( Do what you can ) not for the lyrics but for the music.
The intro is so boring.

jigzawqw7 07-26-2020 04:33 AM

1. Unbroken
2. Do What You Can
3. American Reckoning
4. Limitless

Imma go in depth for a second here, don't mind me

Unbroken - Lyrically, I love it. I think it was a very risky move, writing from the perspective of a soldier dealing with PTSD, but my understanding is that Jon captured the feeling very well. I'm not a soldier or dealing with PTSD, so I can't say for sure, but in my opinion, the lyrics are very well written. Musically, it is also very different for a Bon Jovi song. I read somewhere that Jon wrote the guitar specifically to be simple because the focus was the lyrics and he was trying to be in the mindset of a soldier, not a musician. Not sure how true this is, but if it is, I love it! Vocally, I wish Jon could rerecord the vocals now since he has had the time to rest his voice after nonstop touring. I think his voice sounds a little rough in this song, but not bad, I just like his post-quarantine, rested voice a little more.

Do What You Can - Lyrically, this song panders, it doesn't do anything crazy exciting or anything like that, but it definitely captures a unique moment in time. Never thought the phrase "Chicken Farm from Arkansas" would end up in a Bon Jovi song, but here we are. Musically, this is the best in this list in my opinion. It takes the best aspects of modern Bon Jovi and smashes them together in a really fun way; the country twang of the 'Lost Highway' album, the energy of the 'Have A Nice Day' album, specifically reminiscent of "Last Man Standing", and the pop production of the "What About Now" album. This song is just fun to listen to for me!

American Reckoning - Lyrically, this song doesn't shy away from what it is talking about. I think the verses are written very well. "Is our American Reckoning our story written in blood or in love" is a beautiful lyric and you can't convince me otherwise. However, this song loses me at the chorus. I love this band with all my heart, but this chorus is pretty much as basic as it gets. It's like Jon wrote the beginning of a really good speech, had everyone listening, got nervous and started saying phrases that sound good like, 'Stay alive....shine a light...' and added the stinger of 'American Reckoning' to make it punch. The lyrics of the chorus could have been much better. Musically, you can tell this is more of a Jon song than a collaboration, which isn't a bad thing. Jon is a great musician. The focus of this song isn't the music anyways, it's they lyrics and the message, so no complaints here. Plus, the last time there was harmonica in a Bon Jovi song was in 'Born to be my Baby' I think, so that was a nice surprise.

Limitless - Lyrically, this song is probably the most generic thing I've heard Bon Jovi release. The verse and chorus sound like they're from 2 different songs completely. It's like he had the phrase 'Life Is Limitless', knew it was the hook, and just threw random other words in to get the song to where he wanted it to be. I'm all for a feel-good message that this song is trying to get across (very similar to 'Life Is Beautiful' from "Burning Bridges" in my opinion), but this song just falls so flat for me. Musically, this is very very reminiscent of 'Knockout', and I wasn't a huge fan of that song either. Personally speaking, I think the promotional strategy for this song was also its doom. Giving fans the lyrics and asking them to sing what they think the chorus is going to be gets the hardcore fans attached to their idea of a songs melody (maybe i'm speaking only for myself, idk). I am a musician and I was damn proud of the melody I came up with with the lyrics. The melody of the chorus of the actual song? meh. I know Jon's voice doesn't have the range it used to, but he doesn't have to limit himself to a very very small range of notes for what is supposed to be the most memorable part of the song. Vocally, I think Jon's performance is fine, can't really complain at all. I was worried about what this would sound like live, but then COVID hit, and Jon's voice got to rest, and then the band performed this on 'The Voice' from their homes, and I thought they all sounded amazing! To be honest, I like that live recording a lot more than i like the studio version.

As for the rest of the album, I have high hopes. I'm anxious about 'Beautiful Drug' because it was cowritten by Billy Falcon and John Shanks, as was 'Limitless', but everything else was written solely by Jon, and I feel like if he's not gonna be writing with Richie, he should be writing at least they lyrics on his own, maybe some input from David Bryan wouldn't hurt. There is a youtube video that has 'Beautiful Drug' in the background, and the guitar intro sounds exactly like 'This House Is Not For Sale', which could be a good thing, that was a good song! When 'Story Of Love' was originally rumored to release (January 10th), I had found a couple Instagram videos with audio of what sounded like a rocking Bon Jovi song, the vocals sounded like Jon, and the videos have since been taken down, so I'm assuming they were flagged for Copyright, meaning this is the actual song. If this is the case, I'm very very excited for this song because it rocked! Like, not as hard as 'Hey God', but it rocked!!

Sorry for the long post, Blame It on the Love of Rock and Roll <3

rolo_tomachi 07-26-2020 10:26 PM

1 LIMITLESS
2 American Reckoning
3 Do What You Can
4 Unbroken.

Unbroken seems to be mixed differently, not even seems from the same album.

WILDJOVIMAN 07-27-2020 08:51 AM

1. American Reckoning
2. Do What You Can
3. Unbroken
4. Limitless

BonJovi100 08-16-2020 10:36 AM

1.Unbroken
2. Do What You Can
3. American Reckoning
4. Limitless

Bucketfinck78 09-25-2020 09:43 PM

Unbroken
American reckoning
Limitless
Do what you can

Bucketfinck78 09-25-2020 09:48 PM

"Plus, the last time there was harmonica in a Bon Jovi song was in 'Born to be my Baby' I think, so that was a nice surprise."

What??? These days has harmonica

Captain_jovi 09-25-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucketfinck78 (Post 1267425)
"Plus, the last time there was harmonica in a Bon Jovi song was in 'Born to be my Baby' I think, so that was a nice surprise."

What??? These days has harmonica

Not only that there's only harmonica on the acoustic version so that doesn't even make sense. Homebound Train and Love for Sale have it and then These Days and Learning How To Fall.