Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Buffalo Bills fans protesting vs JBJ (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68544)

bwehehehe 05-22-2014 06:44 PM

Buffalo Bills fans protesting vs JBJ

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...c-ban/9367135/

Quote:

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — As far as some Buffalo Bills fans are concerned, rock musician Jon Bon Jovi can live on a prayer anywhere but western New York.

A Bills fans club recently founded to keep the NFL team in western New York has started an online petition to ban songs by Bon Jovi. The New Jersey rocker has been linked to a Toronto-based developer interested in purchasing a franchise and moving it to Canada's largest city.

The founders of 12th Man Thunder are asking Buffalo-area bars to ban Bon Jovi's music from being played by DJs, live bands or juke boxes. They say so far 28 businesses have established "Bon Jovi Free Zones."

The group says more than 3,500 people have signed its online petition supporting efforts to keep the Bills in western New York.

rocknation 05-22-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwehehehe (Post 1176904)

And what is the nature of this "link" -- is he one of the investors of the Toronto group or is he not? And it seems that problem isn't that he wants to buy the team, but that that it would be moved. If it's true at all.

danfan 05-22-2014 07:14 PM

Maybe if Buffalo could win a few games every year, they would be worth something.

rocknation 05-22-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1176905)
And what is the nature of this "link" -- is he one of the investors of the Toronto group or is he not?

Donald Trump and Jon Bon Jovi mentioned as buyers for Buffalo Bills

Quote:

It's not every day — or every year — an NFL franchise goes on the market as the Bills are, following owner Ralph Wilson's death last month...

Wilson's wishes to have the team sold rather than passed on to his family raise the possibility of the Bills relocating from the city that's been home for more than 50 years. Toronto and Los Angeles are potential landing spots because owners would have an opportunity to make more money than in Buffalo, the NFL's second-smallest market...

Without providing names, Erie County deputy executive Richard Tobe said he has been approached by as many as 10 prospective ownership groups, which he has told to contact the team. The Bills were valued by Forbes last year at $870 million, but the sale price could go higher...

...Bon Jovi...is linked to Larry Tanenbaum, a Toronto-based developer and chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which controls the NBA Raptors and NHL Maple Leafs. Though Bon Jovi and Tanenbaum have close ties, no formal relationship has been made between the two involving a potential purchase of the Bills and relocating them to Toronto.

Bon Jovi's representative, Ken Sunshine, said, "Jon is passionate about owning an NFL team," but steered clear of any mention of the Bills.
In other words, it's just a lot of hype at this point. Jon hasn't got enough to buy -- or even more important, to sustain -- a team himself, and even if the Tanenbaum "link" were real, he must realize that he'd be a small fish in a big pond. He doesn't have the money or experience to maintain a controlling interest -- unless he just wants a piece of a team as retirement income.

Spidey5150 05-23-2014 07:11 PM

I live in Buffalo! Go Bills!

Yeah, the perception is JBJ would want to move the Bills & thus fans have decided to protest. I don't think it's really caught fire however. Then again, I avoid local news. Only see an occasional post on twitter on the matter. He is at least banned from 1 local establishment, the Amherst Ale House, per their twitter page.

This is the flyer that's theoretically going around: https://twitter.com/NoToronto/status...212032/photo/1

If I ever find my self at a bar that is actively protesting Bon Jovi, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Dave88 07-21-2014 03:07 PM

Bon Jovi Group Reportedly Wouldn't Move Bills

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...stern-new-york

rocknation 07-21-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave88 (Post 1180403)

Quote:

The group includes Larry Tanenbaum and the Rogers family. Tanenbaum is chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which controls the NHL's Maple Leafs and NBA's Raptors. The Rogers family includes Edward Rogers, who is deputy chairman of Rogers, the Toronto communications giant.

Bon Jovi, Tanenbaum and the Rogers family each would have a one-third share in the team, but Bon Jovi would be the principle owner if the group's bid is accepted...

The group is on a list of prospective buyers who have submitted a nondisclosure agreement form to Morgan Stanley, the banking firm overseeing the Bills sale...
He'd be a principal owner, huh? Hope he hasn't said anything racist, sexist, or homophobic lately!

trevrox 07-21-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1180413)
He'd be a principal owner, huh? Hope he hasn't said anything racist, sexist, or homophobic lately!

That would be very disappointing! Don't think Jon is that kind of guy though

rocknation 07-21-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevrox (Post 1180423)
That would be very disappointing! Don't think Jon is that kind of guy though

Something might be dug up from his past, especially in the sexism department. Just yesterday, the National Football League suspended and fined a coach for suggesting that gays be "rounded up and nuked." Lucky for Jon that some of his best friends are minorities! :D

DevilsSon 07-22-2014 02:54 AM

Yup, the last tour just brought in the spare change he still needed and now he can go for his egomaniac dream of being the owner of an NFL club. While his 80s heavy metal peers own chicken restaurants, the man goes for the big time. Fair play to him, if I was as rich, I'd surely try to buy some sort of mega-toy to keep me entertained. I just wish once in a while, there was a news article saying how he's taking some vocal coaching...but I guess he's well beyond that point.

danfan 07-29-2014 05:45 PM

This story won't go away and is really starting to damage his image.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/banned-...mments-postbox

JoviJovi 07-29-2014 06:51 PM

I am not very into football, but my friends that closely follow every little thing that happens in the NFL have said that the group has signed agreements to not move the team. I think Buffalos fears are unfounded.

Captain.Crash 08-03-2014 03:58 PM

There is zero chance that team stays in buffalo if JBJ and his Toronto group buy them. They will wait out the current lease, pressure government for a new stadium and not get it. Then move the team to Toronto and claim it's within their legal territory because Toronto is so close.
Trust me, Rogers (the company in Toronto partnered with JBJ) has been trying to get an NFL team for years.

rocknation 08-04-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain.Crash (Post 1180867)
...(The) Toronto group...will wait out the current lease, pressure government for a new stadium...not get it...(t)hen move the team to Toronto...Rogers (the company in Toronto partnered with JBJ) has been trying to get an NFL team for years.

Though they're a thousand times richer, Rogers and Tennenbaum give Jon just enough equity points to make him principal owner (but certainly not more than thirty-four per cent!). Then in 2020, when the lease is up and the city can't meet their price, they muscle Jon out, let him take all the local flak, and cry all the way to Toronto on a slow boat across Lake -- uh -- (avoids scoring ignoramus points by consulting Google Maps) -- Lake Ontario!

It's obvious why Tanenbaum needs Rogers: he doesn't have the additional operating capital that would be needed. It's obvious why Rogers needs Tanenbaum: he doesn't have Tanenbaum's experience in running a major league sports franchise. And it's obvious why Jon needs Rogers and Tanenbaum: As a "mere" millionaire, he won't have ANY operating capital to contribute once he puts up his share of the franchise fee, which would require converting at least eighty per cent of his net worth into to cash AND paying off ALL his debts. So why do Tanenbaum and Rogers need Jon? To be the American crowbar with which to pry the Bills out of Buffalo, since he wouldn't have the money or the power to stop them.

Running the team into the ground by the time the lease runs out would be as simple as refusing to provide additional capital on the grounds that they would be throwing good money after bad. Garnish with Jon's "inexperience" as an NFL team owner, and they would have no recourse but to "replace" him (with a Canadian?) and restore the franchise's financial viability by moving the team to Toronto!

Captain.Crash 08-05-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1180931)
Though they're a thousand times richer, Rogers and Tennenbaum give Jon just enough equity points to make him principal owner (but certainly not more than thirty-four per cent!). Then in 2020, when the lease is up and the city can't meet their price, they muscle Jon out, let him take all the local flak, and cry all the way to Toronto on a slow boat across Lake -- uh -- (avoids scoring ignoramus points by consulting Google Maps) -- Lake Ontario!

They won't muscle JBJ out, he wants the team in TO too.

rocknation 08-05-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain.Crash (Post 1180938)
They won't muscle JBJ out, he wants the team in TO too.

Unless Jon is putting up more than fifty percent of the money (at least eighty per cent of which has to be his own cash), he is NOT "leading" the investor group and will not be the "controlling owner" of the franchise, rendering ANYTHING that he alone has to say about it a moot issue.

Captain.Crash 08-06-2014 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1180943)
Unless Jon is putting up more than fifty percent of the money (at least eighty per cent of which has to be his own cash), he is NOT "leading" the investor group and will not be the "controlling owner" the franchise, rendering ANYTHING that he alone has to say about it a moot issue.

Not sure what you are trying to say, but two thirds of the group is Canadian money and JBJ is the third but clearly the front man to cover for corporate ownership that isn't allowed. I believe JBJ is on board with the plan to move to TO when they don't get the new stadium. The Rogers tannenbam group won't have to muscle JBJ out, he will be in agreement to move the team.

rocknation 08-06-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain.Crash (Post 1180957)
...I believe JBJ is on board with the plan to move to TO when they don't get the new stadium. The Rogers tannenbam group won't have to muscle JBJ out, he will be in agreement to move the team.

I'm glad you're being realistic about the Toronto move being inevitable.

Unfortunately, Jon (but not his partners) is now on public record as believing the opposite -- sort of:
Quote:

Why we're bidding on the Buffalo Bills

...We think it’s important to clarify our intentions to the fans of the team and people of Buffalo...Our objective is simple: to carry on the legacy of Ralph Wilson and make the Bills successful in Buffalo.

We are committed to working with the State, City, County and business community to identify the best possible site in the Buffalo area for a new stadium and to then develop and implement a plan to finance and build a state-of-the-art NFL stadium for the loyal Bills fans...

My family and I are prepared to make this life-changing commitment to be part of the Bills. This is not a hobby or an acquisition. Building a winner on and off the field will be job one and I intend to spend as much time on the ground in Buffalo as needed to accomplish that goal.

I know how much the Bills mean to the people of this region. So I want you to hear this from me: I’m not risking it all to let you down. If we are given the chance to be the next owners of the Buffalo Bills, I promise you that we will bring the same passion that you do every Sunday, every day.
Quote:

Statement from the Buffalo Fans Alliance: ...We...would like to believe that his group is committed to seeing the team remain in Buffalo for generations to come.

Given the makeup of his group and some of the recent information that has come to light regarding their site selection process for a new stadium, however, we remain highly skeptical of the Bon Jovi group’s intentions. While we appreciate his sentiment, it’s worth noting that nowhere in his letter does he write or directly state or legally commit his group to ‘not moving the Bills from Buffalo.’

...Given the Bon Jovi group’s roots and business commitments in Toronto, the Buffalo Fan Alliance believes that this group will have to tangibly and unequivocally demonstrate to Bills fans everywhere the group’s commitment to Western New York before this community and this fan base will believe their intentions. Anything short of formal action taken on their part will be viewed as nothing more than rhetoric...
Well, it looks like it's all a moot issue, anyway: It's just been reported that their initial bid has been rejected, and that the Buffalo-based Pegula group (who have just sold some land for $1.75B) in is the lead. So it's probably over, and I couldn't be happier. And speaking of inevitability, I think the time will come when Jon realizes that he has dodged both financial AND public relations bullets!

rocknation 08-17-2014 08:06 AM

Okay now, let's not get carried away...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bu7pNIwIYAA0dOL.jpg

Burlhouse 10-27-2017 11:24 AM

Interesting that this came out now.....
https://www.gq.com/story/donald-trum...-buffalo-bills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky0003 10-27-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burlhouse (Post 1230012)
Interesting that this came out now.....
https://www.gq.com/story/donald-trum...-buffalo-bills

So JBJ inadvertently got a US president elected?!

Becky 10-27-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky0003 (Post 1230023)
So JBJ inadvertently got a US president elected?!

No, he didn’t win the bid either. Blame whoever won.

bonjovi90 10-27-2017 07:01 PM

Jon wanting to play the bidding war for this team is where the band went down the drain and what ultimately lead to everything being a giant trainwreck at the end of 2013.

Lucky0003 10-28-2017 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1230024)
No, he didn’t win the bid either. Blame whoever won.

Yup! I like that better.

DestinationJovi 10-28-2017 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1230028)
Irony alert: Their going through all the trouble of making a corporate "hit" look like a grass roots movement was as avoidable as it was unnecessary.

If Team Trump had done the most basic research on their competitors, they would have learned that Jon, as a mere millionaire, would have had to turn every penny of his net worth into cash (in a hurry) just to come up with his share of the franchise fee. Either Jon got really bad advice on that one, or he got really good advice that he didn't -- or didn't want to -- listen to.

The point is, Trump played dirty tricks to try to nudge one of his two competitors out. He's a slippery snake.

trevrox 10-29-2017 03:24 AM

Just yet another reason why Trump is a piece of shit. One of the worst human beings on planet earth. A real stupid mother****er too. Everything about him sucks.

rocknation 11-01-2017 12:18 AM

In retaliation, Jon dressed as Donald Trump for Halloween

:mrgreen:

trevrox 11-04-2017 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1230154)
In retaliation, Jon dressed as Donald Trump for Halloween

:mrgreen:

Brilliant! LOCK HIM UP!

Rdkopper 11-04-2017 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevrox (Post 1230073)
Just yet another reason why Trump is a piece of shit. One of the worst human beings on planet earth. A real stupid mother****er too. Everything about him sucks.

Why cause he out smarted him? You're 21 so I get it... It's the fad or the "in thing" to hate Trump. Half of you kids don't even know why you hate him... Wake up call... Putting a temporary travel ban on the top 5 terrorist countries to keep your own country safe doesn't make someone a raciest...

Do your homework on the Media and you'll realize that they've been controlling everything wayyyy before Trump. He's just the one who exposed them and now they are out for blood and unfortunately the domino effect is trickling down...

Liberals are destroying America or should I say Destroyed America. It's just a form of communism. A twisted way to justify wrongful actions and I don't get that warped mindset...

Do your homework Kid... Hillary is as crooked as they get and Bernie is just straight up crazy. Free College Tuition... Really? That's worse than Obama Care...

Trump is easily going to do a second term, you know why? Not just because of his brilliance... But because Liberal Democrats are so far left now a days, they are just coming off like crazy mother ****ers...

Panda 11-04-2017 07:07 AM

Rdkppper. America is the only 1st world nation in the world that does not have healthcare as a right. Young people arent idiots. They see the world and realize spending billions on the military and not investing in the health of Americans as an actual problem. This isn't liberalism or conservativism. This is basic human rights that somehow only Republican Americans seem to think is not deserved.

Trump is awful. Only Trump would refuse to call white supremacy for what it is. Or refuse to show his taxes. Or treat women the way he does. Or the way he uses his Twitter account. Or the freaking wall that of course Americans are now paying for. The list goes on and on.

And I get it, Hillary was and is awful too. It was kind of like trying to decide between the lesser of 2 evils. But I Just don't get how someone can support or defend a bafoon like Trump. The entire world is in unison that he is a complete joke, except a portion of American Republicans.

Tom_K 11-04-2017 12:33 PM

Well said, Panda.

I think free healthcare, affordable homes and social security when you're old or ill should be universal rights.

Why are Americans against this? Do you believe that you will once become millionaires? The rich are getting richer. What's in it for the regular people (majority)?

I can't understand it.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 11-04-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panda (Post 1230251)
rdkppper. America is the only 1st world nation in the world that does not have healthcare as a right. Young people arent idiots. They see the world and realize spending billions on the military and not investing in the health of americans as an actual problem. This isn't liberalism or conservativism. This is basic human rights that somehow only republican americans seem to think is not deserved.

Trump is awful. Only trump would refuse to call white supremacy for what it is. Or refuse to show his taxes. Or treat women the way he does. Or the way he uses his twitter account. Or the freaking wall that of course americans are now paying for. The list goes on and on.

And i get it, hillary was and is awful too. It was kind of like trying to decide between the lesser of 2 evils. But i just don't get how someone can support or defend a bafoon like trump. The entire world is in unison that he is a complete joke, except a portion of american republicans.

THIS. Thank you.

Raz0r 11-04-2017 03:19 PM

Examples of Trumps Racism
-he attacked a Muslim gold star family
-said a judge was biased because he was Mexican
-said Mexicans are criminals, but some were good people
-the Justice Department sued his company twice for not renting to black people
-the NJ Casino Commision fined his company for discrimination against black customers
-refused to condemn white supremacists that campaigned for him, or disavow the KKK
-called for the death penalty for the Central Park Five (5 black man falsely accused of raping a white woman in centers park) even after they were proven to be innocent.

I'm a white hispanic & was born here. So I'm in a position where I fit in pretty well in white communities and w/ minorities. I'm also a registered Republican.

That said, I sympathize with people that don't immediately see/understand that Trump is a racist. If you're not a minority and dealing with racism everyday, it's easy for these things to fly under the radar, or for you not to recognize certain things as racist. I also don't fault anyone that isn't from NY/NJ for not knowing about his racism before the election, media didn't seem to care that much back then.

But yes, Trump is a racist, no doubt about it. And if you choose to deny that, or if you don't care because you like something else about him more, than you're a racist too. Period.

trevrox 11-04-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1230247)
Why cause he out smarted him? You're 21 so I get it... It's the fad or the "in thing" to hate Trump. Half of you kids don't even know why you hate him...

I'm black. It's always been the "in thing" for me to hate racist mother****ers like Trump (and you).

As for every other insane thing you wrote, it's always highly amusing to watch someone make a fool of themselves and then talk down to someone younger as if their youth means they know any less. Most of us kids know exactly why we hate that Nazi loving piece of shit Trump. He's a racist, an ignoramus, he's clueless, he's a pig, he has no compassion for anyone, he's a narcissist, he's the greatest danger to the United States and the world.

"I don't think that youth is any presumption of vitality or old age any presumption of wisdom." - John F. Kennedy

In your case, I wouldn't presume the latter.

trevrox 11-04-2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raz0r (Post 1230260)
Examples of Trumps Racism
-he attacked a Muslim gold star family
-said a judge was biased because he was Mexican
-said Mexicans are criminals, but some were good people
-the Justice Department sued his company twice for not renting to black people
-the NJ Casino Commision fined his company for discrimination against black customers
-refused to condemn white supremacists that campaigned for him, or disavow the KKK
-called for the death penalty for the Central Park Five (5 black man falsely accused of raping a white woman in centers park) even after they were proven to be innocent.

This list can continue to go on and on too!

Rdkopper 11-05-2017 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevrox (Post 1230272)
I'm black. It's always been the "in thing" for me to hate racist mother****ers like Trump (and you).

This is where we just sit back and watch everyone cry.

Good thing you got Eminem's original rant on your side... Watch this if you want the truth...
https://www.facebook.com/10539211021...7972891287371/

jazzsta 11-05-2017 12:56 PM

I would say, instead of discussing Trump as a person, to discuss policies.

What has changed since he took office? Debate about the new laws and about the actions and functions of the federal government, not about a person and if he is stupid, mean or racist

He might not be a racist but he might employ racist policies. Or he might be a racist without enacting racist politics. He might talk anti-establishment and do nothing to change the establishment, or he might talk pro-establishment but in the end somehow meddle with the overall balance of power.

So talk about what's actually happening and not on a personal level. If u wanna get somewhere.

Rdkopper 11-05-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsta (Post 1230285)
I would say, instead of discussing Trump as a person, to discuss policies.

What has changed since he took office? Debate about the new laws and about the actions and functions of the federal government, not about a person and if he is stupid, mean or racist

He might not be a racist but he might employ racist policies. Or he might be a racist without enacting racist politics. He might talk anti-establishment and do nothing to change the establishment, or he might talk pro-establishment but in the end somehow meddle with the overall balance of power.

So talk about what's actually happening and not on a personal level. If u wanna get somewhere.

Perfect post... let's do it... bring it... but the reality is going to bring this topic back to my original points... All liberals do is moan and cry, they can't discuss policy... Bottom line, most are pissed because they might actually have to work for a living instead of getting everything handed to them... Just like the way Panda has the perfect resolution to Health Care... Listen Liberal Kid, if it was that easy it would have been resolved years ago when Obama was in office... Instead he gave us the worst health care plan ever, Obama Care... He's the one who who took that right away...

DestinationJovi 11-05-2017 03:43 PM

Jesus Christ, Rdkopper is a Trump supporter. That explains A LOT.

Rdkopper 11-05-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestinationJovi (Post 1230291)
Jesus Christ, Rdkopper is a Trump supporter. That explains A LOT.

Yeah, I know... someone who sincerely wants to keep our country safe, rebuild our military, fix health insurance, and reduce taxes is a bad thing... We are too politically correct as a nation... we would rather let terrorists in, then offend anyone... Something is wrong with people who argue against that...

Is Trump outlandish, absolutely! But the media has been controlling this country for decades and the fact that they can't control him makes them all crazy... and then liberal millennial's believe everything the media tells them so welcome to 2017...

In 2017, JBJ would make a great political leader but it'll never happen because he would get destroyed... Pics of him in hot tubs with multiple women, or a rolled up dollar bill hanging out of his nose... Trump didn't live a political lifestyle so sure, they found dirt on him... but nobody had a problem with him until he decided to run for office and the media lost control...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk