Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Letter To A Friend (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53527)

Panda 09-23-2011 07:20 AM

Letter To A Friend

yup, another song thread. You really know people are bored when song threads randomly pop up a few times a month. This one probably exists, but I'm too lazy to search it, and I want new and fresh ideas on it, not ones from back in 2005 or whenever.

I have pretty much ignored this song ever since I got the boxset. I didn't like the intro and it just never grabbed me. As of recently I accidentally listened to it a few times on shuffle and I am just realizing now how great of a song it is. It connects with me emotionally quite well. What does everyone else think of this song? Before you judge, listen to it a couple times. It has a great hook, and lyrics that could probably relate to most people, whether it's in your past or present.

Nige 09-23-2011 10:43 AM

It's one of my favourites from the boxset-great song and some of Jons best singing IMO. Guitar work is a little lazy but still good. I think it would have been an awesome album track is they'd fleshed it out some.

Captain_jovi 09-23-2011 05:09 PM

It's never really GRABBED me. I appreciate it and maybe it will grow on me. The box set has so many songs, this is one that slipped through the cracks for my constant replay list with Sympathy, Billy, I Just wanna be your man and Flesh and Bone.

Bleeding Purist 09-23-2011 07:55 PM

I loved Letter To A Friend right off. The lyrics are poignant and I've been there. Musically, it keeps my attention more at the beginning and end. Once it builds up, it's almost a bit overdone and takes away from the sentiment even if trying to convey the frustration.

Bleeding Purist 09-23-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1074660)
It's never really GRABBED me. I appreciate it and maybe it will grow on me. The box set has so many songs, this is one that slipped through the cracks for my constant replay list with Sympathy, Billy, I Just wanna be your man and Flesh and Bone.

What?! You need to revisit them.... Sympathy and Flesh & Bone at least. I don't care for Billy either, though and doubt I'll ever come around on it.

Captain_jovi 09-23-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1074668)
What?! You need to revisit them.... Sympathy and Flesh & Bone at least. I don't care for Billy either, though and doubt I'll ever come around on it.

Haha I'll give them a good relisten tonight. I think I was overwhelmed with how many tracks it had and quickly found my set of favourites. Those ones are being phased out for other ones now. Lately I've been really realy digging Why aren't you dead.

Man, I want another box set. I can't find any faults with the idea of just taking a bunch of songs no ones heard and sticking em out there.

Bleeding Purist 09-23-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1074670)
Haha I'll give them a good relisten tonight. I think I was overwhelmed with how many tracks it had and quickly found my set of favourites. Those ones are being phased out for other ones now. Lately I've been really realy digging Why aren't you dead.

Man, I want another box set. I can't find any faults with the idea of just taking a bunch of songs no ones heard and sticking em out there.

I pretty much did the same as you in setting my favorites and pretty much ignoring the rest. In turn, I have paid no attention to "I Just Wanna Be Your Man." Some of those tracks you just have to hear at the right time. I liked Out of Bounds right off.. but it's really a throwaway. I tend to picture them doing soundcheck with an impromptu take on it.

Captain_jovi 09-23-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1074671)
I pretty much did the same as you in setting my favorites and pretty much ignoring the rest. In turn, I have paid no attention to "I Just Wanna Be Your Man." Some of those tracks you just have to hear at the right time. I liked Out of Bounds right off.. but it's really a throwaway. I tend to picture them doing soundcheck with an impromptu take on it.

I pretty much flat out ignored We rule the night and Out of Bounds. Ditto for the remixes of Real Life and Starting All Over Again. Temptions been in my top 15 songs in general since the release though.

Bleeding Purist 09-23-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1074672)
I pretty much flat out ignored We rule the night and Out of Bounds. Ditto for the remixes of Real Life and Starting All Over Again. Temptions been in my top 15 songs in general since the release though.

I ignore We Rule The Night as well. I hear the first few seconds and I'm reaching for "skip." I do prefer the original mix of Starting All Over Again, but I do like Real Life in both incarnations.

Temptation is way up at the top. I do not like the demo we had initially off the singles. I tend to see Temptation as something that should have been on Destination Anywhere in the form we got it on the box set.

bonjovi90 09-23-2011 09:34 PM

Interesting I'm not the only one who isn't too fund of those 80's songs on the box set. When I first heard it years ago I loved them, but both, We Rule The Night and Out of Bounds fell totally flat on me. Same with Edge of A Broken Heart. They also make me reach for "skip".

I don't mind Letter To A Friend, I think it's a good tune with fitting lyrics, maybe it just hasn't grabbed me in the right situation yet.
But I discovered a different tune off the box set for me just 2 days ago - Nobody's Hero. Brilliant tune :)