Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What If Crossroad were a double album? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70714)

Johny 06-14-2020 05:20 PM

What If Crossroad were a double album?

From time to time I tend make playlists of songs. This time I wanted to put together a second disc of Crossroad as if it were released as a double album.
I didn't go for a list of my favourite tracks (otherwise there would be Stick To Your Guns etc,) but I tried to come up with what could have been released based on Jon's comments from an interview and other known facts.
The order was made using similar logic as the first disc. Speaking about the first disc, I used the international full version of 15 tracks. That means with In These Arms and Never Say Goodbye and without Prayer '94.
Some songs were obvious choices because they were clearly left out, that's why it starts with Born To Be My Baby which was the biggest hit that wasn't included on Crossroad and it kinda is in the same vein as Livin' On A Prayer.
You can find there Jon's Miracle and Richie's Stranger In This Town because Jon said in one interview that he would have included them if there were enough space. Personally, I'd only keep there Stranger to balance out Jon's Blaze Of Glory from the first disc but I used the known info.
I also added two "new" songs that we know are from the period Crossroad was released. Good Guys were an obvious choice and as the second song went for Nobody's Hero because I wanted to add such a type of Jon&Richie song and even though I probably prefer The Fire Inside or Gotta Have A Reason might be eligible I decided for this one because I put it back to back with Prayer '94. Kinda the same thing they did on the fourth boxset disc. This time only with Prayer '94 and in reverse order :) There are a few other tracks that would deserve the spot as well - Open All Night for example.
Edge Of The Broken Heart earned its place because even though it wasn't a single, it charted as a soundtrack song.
Blood On Blood and Wild In The Streets were supposed to be singles (probably), they had their videos filmed and released and also were total staples in the setlists from their inception and after the release of Crossroad.
I wanted to add I Believe in its single version but because I don't have it and because I wanted to do it similarly as they did it with the first disc - I kept the version with intro and put it in a similar position as Lay Your Hands On Me has on the first disc.
Living In Sin takes the spot of the lead ballad because it's the second biggest single that was left out originally.
Silent Night and Only Lonely have their place there as well because they were singles even though not that much successful.
On the other hand She Don't Know was left out because.. well, my personal taste intervened here :) plus it's not a band's song as such because it wasn't written by any member.
An early version had The Boys Are Back In Town included but I wanted to make a 15 disc version (to complement the first disc equally) and because it's a cover (though released, maybe as a single around the Mosccow Music Peace Festival) I left it out.
Apart from those two, I considered I'd Die For You because I just dig that song so much and it definitely has a lot of single potential plus was a live staple. Also Tokyo Road would deserve its place but I decided to use the more global singles from that album.

Track list:
01. Born To Be My Baby
02. Good Guys Don't Always Wear White
03. Blood On Blood
04. Dry County
05. I Believe
06. Wild In The Streets
07. Only Lonely
08. Edge Of The Broken Heart
09. Living In Sin
10. Miracle
11. Silent Night
12. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
13. Stranger In This Town
14. Prayer '94
15. Nobody's Hero

Any thought, comments? Can someone skilled make an artwork for the double disc version? :)

Rdkopper 06-14-2020 05:25 PM

I don't agree with some of these songs.

Just look at Wikipedia and use the singles released during that period.

In These Arms and Never Say Goodbye for sure.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Johny 06-14-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1264738)
I don't agree with some of these songs.

Just look at Wikipedia and use the singles released during that period.

In These Arms and Never Say Goodbye for sure.

That's what I did. Did you even read what I wrote? ITA and NSG are on the international version which I used as the first disc so it doesn't make any sense to use twice, does it? What other singles did I skip? Apart from She Don't Know Me which I explained why.

Dave 1986 06-14-2020 05:42 PM

Interesting idea, but I don't think Cross Road ever needed to be a double album. It was a greatest hits album by a 10-year-old band who'd *only* released 5 albums at that point. The actual album we got is a solid collection (well, the International version is anyway) and would have sufficed for any then-casual fans or newcomers. If they wanted to hear more, they could just buy the other albums.

If it were up to me though, I would have them release a Bonus disc version of B-Sides/Rarities (GGDAWW, EoaBH, etc) and maybe a few then-unreleased songs (like what eventually ended up on the Box Set) so more hardcore fans at the time would have a reason to invest in it beyond more than just two new songs. We eventually got that 11 years later with the "Deluxe Sound & Vision" version.

Rdkopper 06-14-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1264739)
That's what I did. Did you even read what I wrote? ITA and NSG are on the international version which I used as the first disc so it doesn't make any sense to use twice, does it? What other singles did I skip? Apart from She Don't Know Me which I explained why.

I must have missed it... but even so, I wouldn't dismiss them because if there was in fact a double disk, there wouldn't be the need for an international version. Or it would probably be much different...

Is your topic about a double Crossroads standard CD or a double international version CD?

Johny 06-14-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1264740)
Interesting idea, but I don't think Cross Road ever needed to be a double album. It was a greatest hits album by a 10-year-old band who'd *only* released 5 albums at that point. The actual album we got is a solid collection (well, the International version is anyway) and would have sufficed for any then-casual fans or newcomers. If they wanted to hear more, they could just buy the other albums.

If it were up to me though, I would have them release a Bonus disc version of B-Sides/Rarities (GGDAWW, EoaBH, etc) and maybe a few then-unreleased songs (like what eventually ended up on the Box Set) so more hardcore fans at the time would have a reason to invest in it beyond more than just two new songs. We eventually got that 11 years later with the "Deluxe Sound & Vision" version.

Yeah, it didn't need to be a double album, I know. The idea just came to me when I was listening to the third London 1995 show (which is soon going to be 25 years old!) and Richie did Stranger there and they did Good Guys two days before and that reminded me of that interview with Jon saying that they had so many hits and songs to put there that they had to leave out some of them and that he hated it.

The Deluxe Sound & Vision is crap - it's a weird collection of songs from different eras. It doesn't make any sense.

Johny 06-14-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1264741)
I must have missed it... but even so, I wouldn't dismiss them because if there was in fact a double disk, there wouldn't be the need for an international version. Or it would probably be much different...

Is your topic about a double Crossroads standard CD or a double international version CD?

Obviously it's a double international version. Mainly because the international version has the most songs but also because it's the version the world has.

I'm not debating the need for a double disk version. I just did it for fun and I enjoy listening to both discs back to back.

Given the change in style with Crush and the long break between TD and Crush, I think Crossroad should have been released after These Days. But that's what we know now given the history that followed.

Dave 1986 06-14-2020 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1264743)
Yeah, it didn't need to be a double album, I know. The idea just came to me when I was listening to the third London 1995 show (which is soon going to be 25 years old!) and Richie did Stranger there and they did Good Guys two days before and that reminded me of that interview with Jon saying that they had so many hits and songs to put there that they had to leave out some of them and that he hated it.

That's true. I've heard/read a number of times how Jon wanted "Stranger in this Town" on Cross Road (though I would have gone with "Ballad of Youth" personally) and other Bon Jovi hits like BtBMB would have been worth including somehow. But like I say, there has to be some incentive to go back and buy the previous albums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1264743)
The Deluxe Sound & Vision is crap - it's a weird collection of songs from different eras. It doesn't make any sense.

You're right, it's a weird collection and I probably wouldn't have used that exact tract list for a 2nd disc of rarities back in 1994. Three of those tracks didn't exist back then for a start. But perhaps include tracks from the 80's that weren't available or hard to find on CD by then.

Rdkopper 06-14-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1264744)
Obviously it's a double international version. Mainly because the international version has the most songs but also because it's the version the world has.

I'm not debating the need for a double disk version. I just did it for fun and I enjoy listening to both discs back to back.

Given the change in style with Crush and the long break between TD and Crush, I think Crossroad should have been released after These Days. But that's what we know now given the history that followed.

If it's not a debate, then there isn't much to discuss here... There were only 5 band albums to date. Picking the songs is nothing more than a process of elimination.

During the crossroads radio promos, the double album thing came up all the time... Sure they could have filled it especially with new songs and another rework but the record company said no...

Thanks to Always, they are probably kicking themselves for not doing a double CD.

Captain_jovi 06-14-2020 09:26 PM

Then again, a double disc = higher price point which could have lead to less sales. We'll never know but I think the label made the right call.