Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bounce Demos (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68630)

Grantos1 07-11-2014 10:57 AM

Bounce Demos

I am sure I've read on here that the initial bunch of Bounce demos given to the record company were rejected? Anyone have anymore info on this?

Supersonic 07-11-2014 08:05 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grantos1 (Post 1180067)
I am sure I've read on here that the initial bunch of Bounce demos given to the record company were rejected? Anyone have anymore info on this?

Like with Have A Nice Day, Jon offered the record company a collection of songs to show what they were writing and recording. The record company rejected the songs, deeming them too heavy, and Jon was send out to write more poppier/accessable songs. I've a feeling the 7 demo's offered on the various singles were songs meant to be on the album, as they're very, very finished and not demo's at all.

If I remember correctly both Another Reason To Believe, We Can't Dance and No Regrets were meant to be on Bounce. It'd also explain why Bounce is such a schizophrenic record with a little bit of everything, yet never really falling together; too many different writing sessions with too many different approaches.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

rolo_tomachi 07-11-2014 08:46 PM

The perfect Bounce Album for me, would have been something like:

Undivided
Everyday
Another Reason To Believe
Misunderstood
Alive
The Distance
Hook Me Up
Satellite
No Regrets
Standing
Bounce

That's the track list on my player when I listen to this album ... I get a much stronger album, electrifying, powerful. Nothing to do with the original track list.

RonJovi 07-11-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1180077)
Aloha !

Like with Have A Nice Day, Jon offered the record company a collection of songs to show what they were writing and recording. The record company rejected the songs, deeming them too heavy, and Jon was send out to write more poppier/accessable songs. I've a feeling the 7 demo's offered on the various singles were songs meant to be on the album, as they're very, very finished and not demo's at all.

If I remember correctly both Another Reason To Believe, We Can't Dance and No Regrets were meant to be on Bounce. It'd also explain why Bounce is such a schizophrenic record with a little bit of everything, yet never really falling together; too many different writing sessions with too many different approaches.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Wonder if that's why Richie said it wasn't much fun to make. Maybe a pop at the record company rather than Jon or the band.

ezearis 07-11-2014 08:52 PM

I don't know, I wouldn't change a thing in Bounce. Might be a little schizophrenic, but it's one of my favourites post-2000 records, if it isn't my favourite. Lot of good songs.

Alphavictim 07-11-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1180077)
Like with Have A Nice Day, Jon offered the record company a collection of songs to show what they were writing and recording. The record company rejected the songs, deeming them too heavy, and Jon was send out to write more poppier/accessable songs.

It's baffling that after the success of It's My Life, Bon Jovi (a huge band with a large following) were still totally the bitch of the record company.

Lucas_Roli 07-11-2014 10:00 PM

I got a few questions too,if someone could respond i'd really appreciate it.

Is ''One to Say Goodbye'' a Bounce song?Also what other Bounce songs did they give away that weren't released as b-sides or bonus tracks.

Are there any other HAND demos,except Nothing, that weren't officially released?

Alphavictim 07-11-2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas_Roli (Post 1180082)
Are there any other HAND demos,except Nothing, that weren't officially released?

The alternate takes of the title track, IWBL, BOF and WTWYA.

Supersonic 07-11-2014 10:19 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1180081)
It's baffling that after the success of It's My Life, Bon Jovi (a huge band with a large following) were still totally the bitch of the record company.

In Bon Jovi's case, it kind of depends on how much promotion they'd want from their record company. They're the ones who're supposed to sell it, so they'd rather invest their money in something they believe in, as opposed to what Jon believes in, especially considering how Jon is rather clueless as to what would sell or not. I'm sure they'd be allowed to release an album completely up to their standards, but it'd mean a record company would start a smaller promo campaign. And I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but the campaigns for Crush and Bounce were huge.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Captain_jovi 07-11-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1180083)
The alternate takes of the title track, IWBL, BOF and WTWYA.

Was the WTWYA an alternate take? The rest had slightly different lyrics but I didn't hear too much different with that one.

Also the Keith Urban duet on Who Says.