Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   NBJ - Everything Else (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Who will win the Champions League this season? ('14-'15) (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68714)

DevilsSon 03-20-2015 01:39 AM

Aha...so what is going on with that 'best league in the world'? Third year in a row with no English team in the quarters?

Bayern and Barca looking very strong. Looking forward to the draw tomorrow...

KSantaFe 03-20-2015 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1186225)
Aha...so what is going on with that 'best league in the world'? Third year in a row with no English team in the quarters?

Bayern and Barca looking very strong. Looking forward to the draw tomorrow...

So what exactly constitutes 'best league in the world'?

DevilsSon 03-20-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1186228)
So what exactly constitutes 'best league in the world'?

The English like to think their league is the best because they pay the highest wages and it's close at the top and so on. But the reality is, the football played on the island (despite the insanity of the wages) has been mediocre for a long time. Even Chelsea's CL victory a few years ago was a very strange accident. Since the all English final in 2009 it's been all but going down.

KSantaFe 03-21-2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1186239)
The English like to think their league is the best because they pay the highest wages and it's close at the top and so on. But the reality is, the football played on the island (despite the insanity of the wages) has been mediocre for a long time. Even Chelsea's CL victory a few years ago was a very strange accident. Since the all English final in 2009 it's been all but going down.

I definitely agree that Chelsea's UCL victory was an unfortunate anomaly. Their negative brand of football is quite horrendous to watch. I believe that the English premier is second in terms of quality to the Bundesliga, and possibly La Liga. However, it's the most exciting to watch because of the contrasting styles, and the fact that it's so open. There are 6-8 teams that are all extremely competent and close in terms of ability, and I believe that each year it's becoming more balanced. La Liga has been dominated by Real and Barca for years, with Atleti becoming more competitive very recently - maybe Valencia too. The Bundesliga is a brilliant league, but I do feel that the fact that Bayern overall supremacy damages the quality of the league - I really do feel sorry for BvB Dortmund. Wolfsburg, Leverkusen and Monchengladbach are far inferior to Bayern.

I believe that though the best teams currently in the EPL can't compete with the best around Europe, the balance and competitive nature of the league makes it the best to watch.

DevilsSon 03-21-2015 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1186247)
I definitely agree that Chelsea's UCL victory was an unfortunate anomaly. Their negative brand of football is quite horrendous to watch. I believe that the English premier is second in terms of quality to the Bundesliga, and possibly La Liga. However, it's the most exciting to watch because of the contrasting styles, and the fact that it's so open. There are 6-8 teams that are all extremely competent and close in terms of ability, and I believe that each year it's becoming more balanced. La Liga has been dominated by Real and Barca for years, with Atleti becoming more competitive very recently - maybe Valencia too. The Bundesliga is a brilliant league, but I do feel that the fact that Bayern overall supremacy damages the quality of the league - I really do feel sorry for BvB Dortmund. Wolfsburg, Leverkusen and Monchengladbach are far inferior to Bayern.

I believe that though the best teams currently in the EPL can't compete with the best around Europe, the balance and competitive nature of the league makes it the best to watch.

Nah - I disagree with that. The 6th league in Switzerland is way more competitive and spectacular. The games, the action, the goals, the fights....pfff.

KSantaFe 03-21-2015 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1186249)
Nah - I disagree with that. The 6th league in Switzerland is way more competitive and spectacular. The games, the action, the goals, the fights....pfff.

I'm talking about a balance of skill AND competitiveness.

DevilsSon 03-21-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1186251)
I'm talking about a balance of skill AND competitiveness.

I know. I was kiddin' ;) But you get the point

KSantaFe 03-22-2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1186262)
I know. I was kiddin' ;) But you get the point

Haha yeah I get it ;) The EPL is overrated, but I love watching it (if only when Arsenal wins) :P

mo_rizwan 03-22-2015 12:18 AM

EPL is far more competitive than the Bundesliga. Why do you think Pep went to Munich? He knew he couldn't guarantee himself the league title in England...whether he manages Man City or Chelsea. He took an easy route (in my opinion) in choosing to manage a team that....(correct me if I'm wrong)....just won the Treble at the time?

If you look at statistics (if they ever do get released) the EPL could be the most watched competition in the World. It is by far the most competitive.

(However, the most watched match, apparently, is the El Clasico).

I remember when I went to Malaysia in 2007. Most Sportswear stores only had Man UTD, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona and a couple of Serie A shirts. I'm sure that's changed now with the insurgence of Man City and the recent German dominance in the CL, but there's no doubt that the EPL Brand is Huge in the Asian market.

With regards to the CL, I'm not making any excuses here, but I'm sure if we did have a winter break, we would be more competitive. The winter fixtures here in England are a Joke. Maybe they'll only scrap it on the year of the Qatar World Cup lol

Quote:

Even Chelsea's CL victory a few years ago was a very strange accident.

Well, no....that was Carlo Ancelotti guiding them to a Domestic Double with his smart tactics. No idea why they sacked him the season after, but Chelsea have always had that sort of reputation of firing managers after one bad season. And there's no denying his quality as a manager, eventhough some may argue Real were lucky to win the CL against Atletico.....but let's not forget; they did thrash Bayern Munich 5-0 over the 2 legs in the Semi-Final.

EDIT: Oooops, just realised you were referring to Chelsea's CL Victory, not PL :D *slaps himself*

Quote:

Since the all English final in 2009 it's been all but going down.

Correction: that was 2008 :)

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 & 2012 have had at least 1 English team in the UCL Final. That's 3 years since the all-English Final in 2008. Since the turn of the Millennium, Germany have been in the final for 5 years (compared to the 7 I've mentioned for England).

Statistics don't lie :)

DevilsSon 03-22-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo_rizwan (Post 1186275)

Correction: that was 2008 :)

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 & 2012 have had at least 1 English team in the UCL Final. That's 3 years since the all-English Final in 2008. Since the turn of the Millennium, Germany have been in the final for 5 years (compared to the 7 I've mentioned for England).

Statistics don't lie :)

2008 - that's true :)
Otherwise - I am saying 'what is happening with it'? I don't deny that it was by far the strongest league in the world pretty much from 2005 to 2008 or 2009. Ever since, it's pretty much living off its previous reputation. The fact that it's still the most watched league has less to do with it's competitiveness as it has to do with it's amazing overseas marketing. Bayern & Dortmund for example, only started focussing on Asia in the last 3 years.

But talking about stats, Germany and Spain have had at least one team in the semifinals from 2009 onwards (and it will certainly be the case this year as well). England doesn't even make it to the quarters anymore despite having by far the highest salary bills and budgets. That should hint that there's something wrong structurally. And I am sure it's the youth work. Only 30% of the players in the PL are English. Germany and Spain have 50% or more. If you look at the big teams such as Real, Barca and Bayern - half the team comes from the youth academies, they have the club's philosophy in their DNA. How many are from the youth academies of ManU, Chelsea or City? The great squad of United was founded of amazing youth work. With the huge money that came into the league, the focus went from youth work to buying big names and it affects all teams because they have to pay hugely inflated wages, even for average players. That isn't the case in Spain and Germany.

At the end of the year, the PL will fall on 3rd in the UEFA 5 year ranking. Behind Spain and Germany. The 5 year ranking reflects performance in both European competitions over the last 5 years. As you mention - statistics don't lie. And with an average club budget twice that of the other two leagues, surely you can't blame the winter games (which Spain has as well, btw)