Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Paul Stanley on Richie's audition for KISS (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68517)

Iceman 05-09-2014 09:00 AM

Paul Stanley on Richie's audition for KISS

Paul Stanley's new book "Face The Music: A Life Exposed" came out a while ago, but Europe had to wait for our copies. I got mine a few days ago, and there's a paragraph about Richie's audition (and Bon Jovi). The date of the audition is around summer 1982:

"With Ace gone, we put the word out that we were looking for a new guitar slinger. Among others, we auditioned Steve Farris of Mr. Mister, Robben Ford, who was a great blues player, and Steve Hunter. Richie Sambora, who was in a newly formed band called Bon Jovi, flew in from New Jersey to audition. He wasn't yet the consummate player he would become, and he didn't get the gig.

It's funny, but years later I heard him say he hadn't really wanted the job because he wanted to be in something more blues-based. First of all, it's hard to imagine that he flew to California to audition for KISS just because he liked airplane food; also, Bon Jovi's done a lot of great things, but they don't sit next to Howlin Wolf in my record collection. "

Ice

samboraisgodUK 05-09-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1176267)
Paul Stanley's new book "Face The Music: A Life Exposed" came out a while ago, but Europe had to wait for our copies. I got mine a few days ago, and there's a paragraph about Richie's audition (and Bon Jovi). The date of the audition is around summer 1982:

"With Ace gone, we put the word out that we were looking for a new guitar slinger. Among others, we auditioned Steve Farris of Mr. Mister, Robben Ford, who was a great blues player, and Steve Hunter. Richie Sambora, who was in a newly formed band called Bon Jovi, flew in from New Jersey to audition. He wasn't yet the consummate player he would become, and he didn't get the gig.

It's funny, but years later I heard him say he hadn't really wanted the job because he wanted to be in something more blues-based. First of all, it's hard to imagine that he flew to California to audition for KISS just because he liked airplane food; also, Bon Jovi's done a lot of great things, but they don't sit next to Howlin Wolf in my record collection. "

Ice

Fair comments really.

DevilsSon 05-09-2014 02:28 PM

Just that there's no way he was in Bon Jovi back in 1982. In fact, there wasn't even anything called Bon Jovi back in 1982.

Also, what Richie said in that Howard Stern interview is that Paul and Gene wanted someone to worship them and expected him to know all the songs which he didn't. He just wanted to jam. It's not like he claimed he turned down the gig, but told his version of the story. As about the Blues... There was certainly more room for blues in Bon Jovi than in Kiss.

Just saying really... Paul probably misunderstood :p

danfan 05-09-2014 03:59 PM

Paul Stanley was, is and always will be a conceited douche nozzle.

RS8MB0R8 05-09-2014 07:41 PM

It's also entirely possible that both parties felt the chemistry wasn't there and opted against him joining the band. In terms of the quality of either band's music when compared against one another, it's apples and oranges. You wouldn't put Jovi's stuff anywhere near the best of Kiss but I haven't even got a single Kiss album in my collection so it's a moot point really.

ticos_stick 05-09-2014 08:47 PM

The decision worked out well for Richie. I'd imagine working for Gene Simmons would be even shittier than being under the watchful eye of our beloved CEO.

danfan 05-09-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1176296)
The decision worked out well for Richie. I'd imagine working for Gene Simmons would be even shittier than being under the watchful eye of our beloved CEO.

Gene isn't the main problem. Paul is.

brighton84 05-10-2014 03:15 PM

Richie made a good call. He went on to conquer the world with Jovi instead of cow towing to Paul and Gene's call. Personally I think he would have been a good fit for KISS,his guitar playing has a decent,melodic tone to it.
Sadly the KISS army had to endure the bumblebee drizzle that was provided by Vinnie Vincent.

dcj28 05-10-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1176302)
Gene isn't the main problem. Paul is.

Based on what?

dcj28 05-10-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton84 (Post 1176331)
Richie made a good call. He went on to conquer the world with Jovi instead of cow towing to Paul and Gene's call. Personally I think he would have been a good fit for KISS,his guitar playing has a decent,melodic tone to it.
Sadly the KISS army had to endure the bumblebee drizzle that was provided by Vinnie Vincent.

Liked his music on LIU and Creatures but hated his live sound,just a flurry of notes at speed and his stand alone guitar solos were painful