Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   TLFR a flop. (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=21822)

Iceman 01-19-2004 09:38 AM

TLFR a flop.

According to SoundScan, TLFR has sold really badly:

Bon Jovi "This Left Feels Right" 264,742 - that's the total number on January 13th in the US. Why am I not surprised?

Ice

Tooka 01-19-2004 09:50 AM

You shouldn't be surprised!

Hey, this is a great album, great art work, pure music. This is an album that's not meant to Crush or to Bounce, this is for us and for the band only. I don't care if it sells a zillion or a hundred, afterall, since when did that become the real test of good work!?

Sambo-Chris 01-19-2004 09:54 AM

It's the worst sold BJ-album here in Germany for years. I don't remember another BJ-album that went down the charts that fast. The only country I know where it is quite successfull is Austria where it is still in the Top 5.

Well, no wonder and I'm glad that it is this way. If it would have been a big success the record company maybe would force them to make another album in this style. Now we can be quite sure that this doesn't happen.

Neurotica80 01-19-2004 09:57 AM

Well lets hope there not allowed to make another album like it

cherryrockcandy 01-19-2004 10:21 AM

that's the good news..... maybe that embarassing "self tribute" album will be forgotten and they can get back to being a rock band.

Martin 01-19-2004 10:24 AM

it fell down from 3 to 13 this week- but i don't give a **** bout the charts...
most important to me is that bon jovi finally seemed to have kicked ****ing luke ebbin (which is the worst producer i've ever seen and should rod in hell for crush and 10/12 of bounce) and swapped him for a producer which proves to possess a thing which is called "creativity" which is said to be the essence of life (tico). furthermore jon said the he (pat leonard) is gonna co-produce the next album and that's the reason why i'm looking forward to it- and i really do hope that the band (respectively jon) takes the left turn again cause every turn away from what came after these days must be good for nothing worse can be done!

Jag 01-19-2004 10:26 AM

so many albums dont sell well commercially but are still great, as is TLFR...(actually listening to it right now) 8)

walter 01-19-2004 10:31 AM

don't forget that there's no real promotion fr TLFR : no tour, no real fight to give it a chance to sell big, and I don't think we should think it as a real Bon Jovi album, just a holiday thing in the studio

Billy Kid 01-19-2004 10:34 AM

Serves them right!

I hate to say I told you so,but..... I told you so!

The fans have spoken!!

Martin 01-19-2004 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Kid
Serves them right!

I hate to say I told you so,but..... I told you so!

The fans have spoken!!

i could make a lot of comments on that post but to keep dc a peaceful land i ain't gonna say a thing...

JOEYKID 01-19-2004 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambo-Chris
Well, no wonder and I'm glad that it is this way. If it would have been a big success the record company maybe would force them to make another album in this style. Now we can be quite sure that this doesn't happen.

i wouldnt count on it, my personal opinion is we wont get another album :? i dunno whatever....basically whatever the record company ask for they will get, if jon likes it or not! i know it doesnt make sense for the an album to flop then the company want more of the same but i just wouldnt put it past them :lol:

Billy Kid 01-19-2004 10:58 AM

It won't happen again.

Keeper 01-19-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walter
don't forget that there's no real promotion fr TLFR : no tour, no real fight to give it a chance to sell big, and I don't think we should think it as a real Bon Jovi album, just a holiday thing in the studio

That's right. Also the band have said on several occasions that this is a sort of treat.

I don't think they're that surprised at the sales figures.

But there's something I don't get... When the band releases an album that sells well they're accused of being commercial, and so on. Now, when they release an album that doesn't sell that well, you hear people saying "this will serve them right", etc... What are they supposed to do in order to please the fans???? :roll:

Sambo-Chris 01-19-2004 11:05 AM

Making a good rock album and not something boring like TLFR. There is a lot inbetween being commercial and being boring.

JOEYKID 01-19-2004 11:09 AM

Quote:

Making a good rock album and not something boring like TLFR. There is a lot inbetween being commercial and being boring.

they will never make a 'good rock album' again! it will be comercial pop like bounce if they do anything again

inge 01-19-2004 11:34 AM

I don`t agree theuy will never make an good album again. It often happened to be artists after having soem pop/flopalbums, they return to their roots. After JOn`s midlifecrises is over( mostly it takes about 5 till 10 years) he will return!
We had crush/bounce and tlfr...now he`s had the top of th ecrises..we`ll go back to basisc again!

Martin 01-19-2004 01:01 PM

the top of the crisis was crush imho- not even you had me from hello was as bad as the worst crush songs, bounce for me was a bit better and tlfr is great cause it shows that the boys dare to do things... bj would never come out with a good record when they would work completely on their own- desmond child, bob rock, bruce fairbairn- those are the names behind the bj success- i hope that pat adds himself to that list...

*ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº* 01-19-2004 01:11 PM

Quote:

I don't remember another BJ-album that went down the charts that fast.

Actually, it climbed a lot last week, until #23. This week it fell to #33.

Even if it would have been a huge success, I would be sure that they won't do it again. And I still believe this is no record company thing at all.

Oh, and non-Rock does not mean boring, simultaneously, just because it's boring for you!

StoneDeaf 01-19-2004 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walter

Well just perhaps they know it's crap and wont make fools of themselves by trying to promote such thing :lol:

*ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº* 01-19-2004 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneDeaf
Well just perhaps they know it's crap and wont make fools of themselves by trying to promote such thing :lol:

They would not have released it if they'd think or know that it is crap.

Sambo-Chris 01-19-2004 01:49 PM

Well, they had to. The record company wanted something. Jon said this in an interview. Yokohama wasn't good but they had to give the record company something. That's also the reason why they only had 4 weeks for TLFR.

StoneDeaf 01-19-2004 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº*
Quote:

They would not have released it if they'd think or know that it is crap.

yes they would if record company said they had to :lol:

StoneDeaf 01-19-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

Well, they had to. The record company wanted something. Jon said this in an interview. Yokohama wasn't good but they had to give the record company something. That's also the reason why they only had 4 weeks for TLFR.

Yokohama would have been million times better, even if it was "no good" :twisted:

*ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº* 01-19-2004 01:56 PM

Quote:

Yokohama would have been million times better, even if it was "no good" :twisted:

That's exactly the point. They did not have only 4 weeks for TLFR because they had something to deliver! As they are recording every show they do have an amount of recordings they could have thrown out if it all was just about the record company who wanted them to deliver something.

No, they got the idea of TLFR and WANTED to do it this way. That's why they were in a hurry - the idea came a little late. That's all I think.

StoneDeaf 01-19-2004 02:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's exactly the point. They did not have only 4 weeks for TLFR because they had something to deliver! As they are recording every show they do have an amount of recordings they could have thrown out if it all was just about the record company who wanted them to deliver something.

No, they got the idea of TLFR and WANTED to do it this way. That's why they were in a hurry - the idea came a little late. That's all I think.

I dont think they record every show in quality good enough to release them. and if they were to release a show, I guess they'd still do plenty of overdubs and so on before putting it out.

with TLFR, they're just digging their grave, even if they wanted to. at least now they have an excuse to call it quits, since it didnt sell that well :lol:

*ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº* 01-19-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

with TLFR, they're just digging their grave, even if they wanted to. at least now they have an excuse to call it quits, since it didnt sell that well :lol:

I still like it and I guess the band does, too.

StoneDeaf 01-19-2004 03:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I still like it and I guess the band does, too.

and it still is a flop.

Mousebounce 01-19-2004 03:45 PM

Quote:

That's why they were in a hurry - the idea came a little late. That's all I think.

Keeper 01-19-2004 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts exactly! :D

Santa_Fe 01-19-2004 04:55 PM

I believe this number is very good for this record. I don't think they expected big sales.

And I also think in the future the sales of this record should be consistent (in a good way). Unlike Bounce/Crush. B/C are shooting stars. TLFR is a slow-cooker.

allmike 01-19-2004 05:41 PM

I think TLFR floops only coz it was not promoted atall. And videos also release very late. Anyway TD also they said floop in US, does make it bad album. I really like the TLFR, i think it rock big time.

faitheveryday1984 01-19-2004 06:21 PM

I really could care less about the charts or sales figures. All I really care about the music and what it means to me and not what everyone else thinks. They are just numbers after all and don't mean much to me personally anyway. Plus this was an experiment so you should expect low sales since it is not the usual Bon Jovi. The more hardcore fans are buying it and I think the band expected that. There was so little promotion as well. My friend who is a fan didn't even know TLFR existed until I told her. And there are other types of music other than rock, I appreciate all kinds. I enjoy blues, jazz and even classical, not boring to me. All a matter of taste. I admire Jovi because they have the balls to do this and I think it is a good thing. I'm not afraid for their future in the least, why should I be?

*ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº* 01-19-2004 07:13 PM

Quote:

and it still is a flop.

Commercially, maybe. For me? No.
And at all, so what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce
I think that they had to get something out quick, and this was the easiest route to take.

Well, we had that "fight" already. I still believe this is not true. No one can tell me that they don't have at least one show recording with a quality worth to be released. A 20-year-career band would not be such a band if they don't have a clue how to record just one show of a tour in a proper way.

Therefore, the easiest way (by far!) would have been to cut, dub, mix and master a show recording.

jade4jovi 01-19-2004 07:27 PM

Oh well! You cant do everything right!! And besides just cos it aint done well in the album charts dont really mean much.

jedijovi 01-19-2004 07:32 PM

This album was not meant to be a blockbuster. 250,000 is very good for an album which has been promoted by word of mouth alone. Bruce fans have been discovering it and love it. I think it is an album that will build (I am not saying big sales however) over time. Unlike Bounce that moved 250,000 in a week or so and still hasn't gone platinum. I really respect Bon Jovi for having the balls to make an album they had fun making and shows their musical talent. It has always been there but now some non Bon Jovi fans are finally seeing it with these songs stripped down. Also Soundscan is for the US only- not the world.

pudge104 01-19-2004 08:46 PM

250,000 isn't bad for an album with no promotion. There's still a chance it may go Gold in the US, b/c RIAA certifications are for items shipped, not sold.

I thought this fight over TLFR was over. I don't know why everyone feels so ripped off, it's a unique album and I'm glad to have it. Yohohama was a really good show, but I'm glad they released this.

I can't wait for the DVD!

kety 01-19-2004 09:13 PM

i like this album and i don´t care does it sell or not.

ponrauil 01-19-2004 10:57 PM

Re: TLFR a flop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman
According to SoundScan, TLFR has sold really badly:

Bon Jovi "This Left Feels Right" 264,742 - that's the total number on January 13th in the US. Why am I not surprised?

Ice

No one will be surprised at these numbers, wether we like the album or not.
We'd need the worldwide figures to see if it's really a flop or not. And still, many bands would like to have such flops.
Of course, on BJ's standards it's a very low number, but it's not a BJ standard album, so it's not that easy to judge.

Ponrauil

Dawn 01-19-2004 10:58 PM

Have to say TLFR has grown on me slowly, at first I couldnt stand it but now ti ahs defiantely grown on me. Especially IML , I think it sounds better than the orignal . A couple of other songs are terrible sound like they have been done to elevator music.

Overall Im starting to like it. As Im a just older fan maybe its my age it takes me longer to adapt to change.

Dawn

SpainSambora 01-19-2004 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin2000
it fell down from 3 to 13 this week- but i don't give a **** bout the charts...
most important to me is that bon jovi finally seemed to have kicked **** luke ebbin (which is the worst producer i've ever seen and should rod in hell for crush and 10/12 of bounce) and swapped him for a producer which proves to possess a thing which is called "creativity" which is said to be the essence of life (tico). furthermore jon said the he (pat leonard) is gonna co-produce the next album and that's the reason why i'm looking forward to it- and i really do hope that the band (respectively jon) takes the left turn again cause every turn away from what came after these days must be good for nothing worse can be done!

AMEN!!!!!

They are a band again, not a commercial smiling band. I like TLFR more than Crush or Bounce by a mile