Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Bounce Album? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=48306)

Captain Walrus 05-22-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 922045)
yeah but that was to be expected of that one, a country tinged Bon Jovi is not exactly what the UL fans wanted to hear.

That, plus the fact that it got **** all promotion or airplay, was released about 6 months after both the first single and the album, and Jon had actually said that he didn't really care about promoting it outside the US anyway. Which makes it a bit bizarre that the European tour for the album went on to have the best setlists in 10 years. I swear, since the end of the HAND tour, I have no idea what the bands game plan has been, they seem to change it about every five seconds

Quote:

Originally Posted by p34semm (Post 922046)
Told you someone would correct me!!
The more singles a band release of an album the worse they sell.
The first two singles are normally big sellers then by the 3rd and 4th they don’t sell so well.
I never buy a single unless the b-sides look good.
If I remember correctly the b-sides from Bounce era were poor.
Although didn’t they only release (in the UK) Everyday, All about lovin you and Misunderstood?

The album didn’t sell very well (UK) so theres no point in releasing singles.

I like a band called the wildhearts and every time they release a single the b-sides are 2 or 3 songs that you will get nowhere else – they are exclusive to that release.

Jovi’s b-sides have been on the poor side for such a big band – in the crush era we got a few more unreleased songs but normally we get live versions of prayer, DOA or Bad name!
The best singles was I’ll be there for you which had borderline and edge of a broken heart on.

In my opinion there’s nothing on a Jovi single to entice and non-fan that’s why they sell so poorly.

Bounce had fairly good single releases ... by my count there were 8 non-album tracks released on singles and as bonus tracks on various versions of the album, plus various early demos and acoustic versions of some of the songs from the album, and some live tracks like Celluloid Heroes which you couldn't officially get anywhere else. It's really with HAND that they started doing the "endless live versions of the same song as b-sides" thing.

Also, I don't quite get your reasoning behind "the album didn't sell well so there was no need to release singles". Surely singles are promoting the album?

MrIks from Finland 05-22-2009 08:34 PM

I like that album pretty much. Undivided, The Distance, Hook Me Up, Right Side of Wrong(Desperado-cover to my ear though) are great songs. But then there are Everyday, Bounce, All About Lovin' You and Love Me Back to Life... What can I say about those songs...well catchy choruses... but that's it. Too easy and stupid to be released... When Bon Jovi is obviously band that does melodic music it isn't enough that they can put together songs that only lean on those catchy choruses...
I still think that Bounce is much better than HAND or LH though... HAND should have been released by some pop artist like Pink becauce that album is just meaningless and pointless piece of junk, electric guitar and some heavy riffs itselves do not gualify as rock music... in my opinion:)

Supersonic 05-22-2009 09:48 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Told you someone would correct me!!
The more singles a band release of an album the worse they sell.

Then why did One Wild Night 2001 (the 4th single from Crush) do it better in the UK charts than Say It Isn't So (the 2nd single)?

Quote:

The first two singles are normally big sellers then by the 3rd and 4th they don’t sell so well.
I never buy a single unless the b-sides look good.
If I remember correctly the b-sides from Bounce era were poor.
Although didn’t they only release (in the UK) Everyday, All about lovin you and Misunderstood?

Your memory isn't that good then. Bounce had the most studio demo's of any Bon Jovi record and they even put a poll online on bonjovi.com asking the fans what the next b-sides should be (studio demo's/live tracks). When many fans voted for studio demo's we got the demo's for Undivided and Right Side Of Wrong. And just to remind you; here's the full list of b-sides released on singles coming from the Bounce record:

Lucky (Demo)
No Regrets (Demo)
Standing (Demo)
Another Reason To Believe (Demo)
Breathe (Demo)
We Can Dance (Demo)
Everyday (Acoustic)
Undivided (Demo)
Celluloid Heroes (Live)
Joey (Demo)
Right Side Of Wrong (Demo)
Misunderstood (Live)
All About Lovin' You (Demo)
Postcards From The Wasteland (Demo)
Alive (Demo)
All About Lovin' You (Acoustic)
Everyday (Demo)

Quote:

The best singles was I’ll be there for you which had borderline and edge of a broken heart on.

Which both had been released before on singles coming from Slippery. How does that make them good b-sides? The only difference was that they were now available on CD instead of vinyl, but there weren't that many b-sides released in the eighties. It was only when Keep The Faith was released the band started to release as many b-sides as possible, although all of the being live tracks.

Quote:

In my opinion there’s nothing on a Jovi single to entice and non-fan that’s why they sell so poorly.

Bon Jovi singles always sold so well because of the many b-sides the band released. First live tracks, then studio demo's. Now that the single market is dead the band puts no effort in it anymore, but their singles used to be quality. So your rant about shitty b-sides is incorrect and pointless.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Suojelusperkele 05-22-2009 11:22 PM

It's an awful album, just awful. Too glossy production even for Bon Jovi's standards, too short songs, awkward synthesizer effects throughout the album, poorly written crap songs. Everyday and Bounce are pure clones of It's My Life, and IMO the band had never before copied their own material this much. Sure their old power ballads may have at times reminded each other quite a lot with their lyrical content but now when they had one big hit, for the first time they started to do more songs that followed exactly the formula of that hit. It's like they have no shame at all, and are truly desperate to get more hits.

All About Loving You is a boy band song. It's the kind of ballad Backstreet Boys and N'Sync and those other boy bands used to do, and the song has nothing in common with the rock ballads this band did in the 80s and 90s. Hook Me Up is also a boy band's "rock song"... I have never understood it when people have called this a heavy song, sure there's a miserable attempt at a heavy guitar but always when I heard this song I thought of the Backstreet Boys.

I've always thought that the lyrics of Joey are retarded. They tried to do a storytelling song but this song has simply none of the drama and suspense of Springsteen's storytelling songs. With this song they truly show how they are the poor man's Bruce Springsteen. Bounce has the whiniest and crappiest Bon Jovi ballads ever. You Had Me From Hello, AALY and Open All Night are such unbelievable cheese and treacle that I don't even know how to describe it. Misunderstood is an annoying, disposable pop song. There are only two decent songs on the album, Undivided and The Distance, and compared to their old material they are not that great either.

The album's name is stupid. It was pathetic how they used to say how the word "bounce" can mean different things to different people... they could have just as well named the album Ball or Table. Shoe would have been an equally intelligent name for this album. I also hate the Bounce promo pictures because with no other album do they look more like a group of supermodels rather than a group of musicians. Looking at the pictures on the album's sleeve, it's obvious that they put much more effort into posing in photographs than making music.

Simply put, this album fails in everything. In 2002 this album had the most uninspired, poppiest, shortest and most unoriginal songs they had ever done and it was hard to believe that they could go any lower than this. It's funny how some people like Walrus say they became fans because of Bounce, when with me it was the opposite: when I heard Bounce for the first time, I immediately knew that this band was done.

Simon 05-22-2009 11:40 PM

I listened to it on a long car ride yesterday, as I was in the mood for it. I loved it, just as much as I did in 2003 (it really needed some months to grow on me back then). Afterwards I listened to some bonus tracks from that era, only to find out again how much I love "Postcards From The Wastelands", which SHOULD have replaced "Open All Night" (which I still like, somehow) as a closing track. That would have lifted the album a lot.

It's certainly not their best ever album, but still not as bad as people put it. The production isn't great and here and there and there is really a Richie solo missing at the end of "The Distance", but overall it creates a great atmosphere. It may be because of my memories about the time of its release. Someone here said it was a good time to be a fan. Yes it was. It was the first album I followed on the internet, I heard the broadcast from Shepherds Bush in my car (which rocked me totally off my feet) and I agree, the band felt totally confident about their stuff. Probably the last time they were so much into their songs that they really presented them with a passion, a bit like in the KTF era when older fans were confused about the new sound.

I discovered the album on vacation in Spain, spring 2003, sitting on the beach, getting into it. Then I went to Australia for two months, backpacking the country, and I remember one walk through Adelaide by night, listening to the album, then again on some beach in Cairns... so many things connect to it, and the concerts on that tour were GREAT, among their best ever. At least the ones I have seen, Mannheim and Munich - the latter being their outstanding performance with 3 hours of music and a totally exhausted Jon, that gave his last to perform 2 more encores, "These Days" and "Twist And Shout". As I said, they gave it all. And the songs worked live as well, the performance of "Joey" convinced me, though "Undivided" was waaayyy to slow.

The album has great songs. Period. And the flow is great, too, always liked it. That needed to be said! :-)

With some little changes here and there and a different production it could have been a masterpiece - dark, mighty and heavy. And looking back I liked that they tried something different after "Crush". Though you can see at what they were aiming with "Everyday".

Simon 05-22-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 922056)
Bounce had the most studio demo's of any Bon Jovi record and they even put a poll online on bonjovi.com asking the fans what the next b-sides should be (studio demo's/live tracks). When many fans voted for studio demo's we got the demo's for Undivided and Right Side Of Wrong.

And again I learned something new. Never heard of that. I mean, by the time I was a member of this board, and the old one before, and I never heard that I could have had the chance in voting for more demos or outtakes? Wow, that's... making me nervous now even after 7 years. Or was it a Backstage thing?

liljovi93 05-23-2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p34semm (Post 922040)
i liked it but now think of it as a weaker track.
i maybe wrong and im sure someone will correct me - but i think Misunderstood was the first Jovi single since before any of SWW singles that didnt make the UK top 40 singles chart.

Didn't it go to number 35 or 37?

Captain Walrus 05-23-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suojelusperkele (Post 922063)
It's funny how some people like Walrus say they became fans because of Bounce, when with me it was the opposite: when I heard Bounce for the first time, I immediately knew that this band was done.

I didn't say that, I said I happened to became a major fan during the Bounce gestation period. Like a lot of people, It's My Life first attracted my attention to the band, then I really got into them in mid 2001, coincidentally just as news of the follow up to Crush was beginning to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 922071)
Didn't it go to number 35 or 37?

I already said, it peaked at number 21

Crushgen24/88 05-23-2009 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suojelusperkele (Post 922063)
. It's funny how some people like Walrus say they became fans because of Bounce, when with me it was the opposite: when I heard Bounce for the first time, I immediately knew that this band was done.

Like Paul, I never said I became a fan because of Bounce. I became a fan after getting into IML, and when I got SWW and OWN in August of 2001. By the time Bounce came out, I already owned half the discography. What I said was that Bounce was the first record that I bought when it came out, and the whole Bounce period was my first "with" the band.

Captain Walrus 05-23-2009 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 922083)
Like Paul, I never said I became a fan because of Bounce. I became a fan after getting into IML, and when I got SWW and OWN in August of 2001. By the time Bounce came out, I already owned half the discography. What I said was that Bounce was the first record that I bought when it came out, and the whole Bounce period was my first "with" the band.

Yeah, at the time Bounce was released, the only band albums that existed to that point which I didnt have wherre the first two. I'm not sure I had any of the solo albums except Stranger either