Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   These Days (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=52374)

schlochty 12-22-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malachy (Post 1033292)
Not to change subject, but surely Kathleen you would have to have Jungleland ahead of Thunder Road? lol....perhaps even For You or Growing up...... aww they all are great piano tracks!

I'm with Kathleen on this one. As a massive fan of both Bruce and Bon Jovi, these 2 songs are my absolute favourite songs of my absolute favourite musicians.

schlochty 12-22-2010 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie79 (Post 1033277)
one of the things i love about Jovi is they aren't unidimensional. I love diversity, and to some extent, i find that in this band. TD is one of my favourite albuns by any artist, yet it's a dark gloomy album and i honestly can't imagine a show where only TD type songs are played. that would make me feel incredibly miserable :) this gloomy mood of the album is part of the appeal, like someone here said, but i believe it's also why so many people don't like it. you'd have to be in a certain state of mind to listen to it, IMO.

taking your examples, STBI is a very introspective song which pretty much represents the mood of most of the album. WGIGO is a party song which is not meant to be taken seriously, and is part of a much more laid-back easy-going album. not all songs have to have this serious aspect to it to be great songs. that's not saying they don't write junk songs and this is probably what you meant. they do and they have. i just don't think you can put songs like these 2 you referred in the same level.

I think you are taking a very interesting perpective here. I would agree that Bon Jovi are not unidimensional and this, among others, is one of the reasons why I like this band so much. My point is a slightly different one though.

When listening to some of the tracks they have released since 2000, I can't help but feel that they must have put less effort into writing certain songs than they did when writing songs for an album like These Days. I couldn't possibly know for sure, I'm just speculating. Yet, looking at some of the songs published post 2000 and their musical similarity (IML, Everyday, HAND, WGIGO, WWBTF) as well as their lyrical content (I hope the term "Live my life" rings a bell here), I can't help but think that they just haven't been as creative, passsionate and ambitious as they were when they were writing These Days.

Kathleen 12-22-2010 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik (Post 1033323)

Oh, and please play "Something To Believe In" in Munich 2011. A grown man would most likely pee in his pants and be happy about it.

This grown woman would join you and be happy too. I won't be in Munich but I will be at many of the European shows next summer hoping to hear as many These Days tracks as I can. Considering the cost of the trip - that's dedication.

I too hope your son is OK - it's no fun having a child that young in the hospital.

milomom 12-22-2010 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik (Post 1033326)
Thanks. And no, nothing serious. Came down with both some stomach sickness and tonsillitis at the same time, recieving some iv antibiotics and fluids. He should be up and crawling/walking on his tiny legs in no time (he recently turned 1, it's the eldest who's 8 I'll be bringing with me to Munich next summer).

Oh - a really little guy. :( That has to be tough. I'm glad to hear that it isn't anymore serious than that.

Fredrik 12-22-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 1033361)
Oh - a really little guy. :( That has to be tough. I'm glad to hear that it isn't anymore serious than that.

Not this time anyway. He's actually born with a syndrome called 22q11, more commonly known as Catch22. People are affected by this syndrome quite differently, some have a lot of problems and others barely nothing. So far our son has managed to suffer very little from it. He was born with a minor heart failure (that by now has pretty much fixed itself) and also one cystic kidney that they operated (took it out) when he was only 8 weeks old. Apart from that he's doing quite fine. He's a cool little bugger getting big. ;)

I for one take this whole medicine/hospital thing quite easy, probably because I'm both doing my PhD in medical sciences and also go to medical school to become a doctor, not to forget the fact that my wife is also a nurse. So you could say that medicine runs in my family. ;)

milomom 12-22-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik (Post 1033377)
Not this time anyway. He's actually born with a syndrome called 22q11, more commonly known as Catch22. People are affected by this syndrome quite differently, some have a lot of problems and others barely nothing. So far our son has managed to suffer very little from it. He was born with a minor heart failure (that by now has pretty much fixed itself) and also one cystic kidney that they operated (took it out) when he was only 8 weeks old. Apart from that he's doing quite fine. He's a cool little bugger getting big. ;)

I for one take this whole medicine/hospital thing quite easy, probably because I'm both doing my PhD in medical sciences and also go to medical school to become a doctor, not to forget the fact that my wife is also a nurse. So you could say that medicine runs in my family. ;)

I'm glad he's doing well in spite of it all! And at least with your medical training, you can understand what the doctors are telling you. That has to be helpful. I hope the whole family has a Merry Christmas!

steel_horse75 12-22-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makedde (Post 1033238)
These Days is a brilliant album. The song is a little overrated, but still, it's pretty darned good. The lyrics in this entire album are fan-****ing-tastic. There is such raw emotion in those songs. It sounds like he actually sat down and really thought about these songs, and wrote these beautiful, perfect lyrics, and come up with this amazing album which most everyone here can agree is a ****ing masterpiece.

I think These Days is a masterpiece not because of the songs, but because of the lyrics. You'd be hard pressed to find an album like this one with lyrics to rival it. It's just that good.

Fast forward 15 or so years and we have nothing but garbage. The song lyrics they've come up with today sound like they took about two minutes to write, and were written by JBJ's little kids, not him and Richie.

I won't include Captain Crash in this, as this song is clearly meant to be fun, so the silly lyrics are expected. It's when they try a serious song and have the most ridiculous lyrics, you wonder what the hell they were thinking.

No Apologies is a good one for me. I hate that song. I hate the first three lines: "Just another white trash, train track kid, fighting for survival, trying not to do like his daddy did".

How retarded do you need to be to write such shit like that, I dunno. Everytime I hear that song I piss myself laughing. I can't imagine Jon keeping a straight face singing that one. The rest of the song is okay, it's just the first few lines **** it up.

The Circle has some great lyrics in many of the songs, but nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever come close to rivaling the brilliance that is These Days.

Thoughts?

New Jersey shats on anything that the band have ever done since then.

kety 12-22-2010 08:55 PM

I always like that each BJ album is different but they all have same BJ touch. It’s hard to say which album is my favorite, some day it’s NJ, then SWW etc.
I love These Days because it is so different from others. It´ s deep, dark, great lyrics, so much emotions etc. Because of that it’s special for me maybe for other too. Something to Believe In is brilliant song. I like to listen TD, but honestly I would not like to hear in live all songs from that album or similar songs . It would be too sad show . I like that BJ albums are different from each other.

Maybe guys are now older and feel that they must or want to write more about social things. In 80s, 90s they wrote about “young love” and emotion. I like old days very very much :D Same time I like new albums too. Even LH. The Circle is good album. Not all “ new” songs are my favs, but these songs are not really bad either. Guys like to try new things, styles like they have always done. It’s good, but we are used to with old things what we have listened years and years. There are many things I don’t like about BJ, but love their music very much :)

ticos_stick 12-24-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1033384)
New Jersey shats on anything that the band have ever done since then.

It's great but has a bit too much pomp. These Days has no silly rockers like LYHOM or Bad Medicine.

I like my music serious though.

jovi 94 12-24-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1033250)
Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree about These Days being their masterpiece album. It is the one album from any artist I've ever listened to where I actually can't find a bad thing to say about it. I tried this not too long ago; I did my best to be as critical as possible and see if there was anything imperfect about the album and I honestly can't find one thing. Every song is a masterpiece and nothing comes close to it.

I would disagree that they are incapable of writing anything like the quality on These Days again. The Circle is incredible and is a very respectable second to These Days in terms of quality, IMHO.

full on agree!!.............. i would simply pick these days over it if i had to spend the rest of my days on a desert with one music album