Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   These Days (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=52374)

Makedde 12-21-2010 08:47 AM

These Days

These Days is a brilliant album. The song is a little overrated, but still, it's pretty darned good. The lyrics in this entire album are fan-****ing-tastic. There is such raw emotion in those songs. It sounds like he actually sat down and really thought about these songs, and wrote these beautiful, perfect lyrics, and come up with this amazing album which most everyone here can agree is a ****ing masterpiece.

I think These Days is a masterpiece not because of the songs, but because of the lyrics. You'd be hard pressed to find an album like this one with lyrics to rival it. It's just that good.

Fast forward 15 or so years and we have nothing but garbage. The song lyrics they've come up with today sound like they took about two minutes to write, and were written by JBJ's little kids, not him and Richie.

I won't include Captain Crash in this, as this song is clearly meant to be fun, so the silly lyrics are expected. It's when they try a serious song and have the most ridiculous lyrics, you wonder what the hell they were thinking.

No Apologies is a good one for me. I hate that song. I hate the first three lines: "Just another white trash, train track kid, fighting for survival, trying not to do like his daddy did".

How retarded do you need to be to write such shit like that, I dunno. Everytime I hear that song I piss myself laughing. I can't imagine Jon keeping a straight face singing that one. The rest of the song is okay, it's just the first few lines **** it up.

The Circle has some great lyrics in many of the songs, but nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever come close to rivaling the brilliance that is These Days.

Thoughts?

ticos_stick 12-21-2010 08:59 AM

Good stuff.

These Days is the Bon Jovi I fell in love with. If I was a kid today and heard the new stuff I'd run a mile.

It was made at a time they could afford to sit down and record whatever they wanted. So they made an album from the heart. The lyrics are never forced or clichéd and the recording actually sounds like the band jammed on the songs in the studio til the early mornings and had a blast.

Richie is all over the record playing all kinds of things and playing his heart out, Tico sounds like a man possessed, Dave plays some great stuff and adds a haunting element to the whole thing, Jon hit his peak on the album too, as a song writer and singer.

It just sounds raw and from the heart while maintaining the big rock hooks and sound.

Almost everything now is contrived and sounds like it came out of a sterilised tube of MOR labelled 'bland'

Now of course we'll have the people who say These Days is over rated, for those I have only a few words. You just don't get it.

kleman 12-21-2010 09:08 AM

THESE DAYS is without a doubt Bon Jovi best album. Everything on album is f****ing great, from Jons vocals to Richie guitar!
Album over rated, are you kiding me? For those i would use the same worlds as tico_sticks did, you just dont get it :D

Shaz 12-21-2010 09:11 AM

KTF is their penultimate album and TD is their masterpiece. For me, it is hard to split the two, but by a hare's whisker, KTF is on top. As for this past decade, well, I like Crush, I really like LH, I'm really not sure what the hype about the Circle is about [don't rate it much to be honest], HAND is okay and Bounce...well....worst album they have ever released. I get what you mean about some of the lyrics in this decades offerings, but man, by a country mile the worst has to be ...
"Bounce, Bounce Nothing's gonna keep me down
Bounce, Bounce Stand up, shout it out
Bounce, Bounce I play hard, I play to win
Count me out, count me in
I'll be bouncing back again.."

TD shows they can write seriously good shit if they've a mind to.

sammy645 12-21-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

KTF is their penultimate album and TD is their masterpiece. For me, it is hard to split the two, but by a hare's whisker, KTF is on top. As for this past decade, well, I like Crush, I really like LH, I'm really not sure what the hype about the Circle is about [don't rate it much to be honest], HAND is okay and Bounce...well....worst album they have ever released. I get what you mean about some of the lyrics in this decades offerings, but man, by a country mile the worst has to be ...
"Bounce, Bounce Nothing's gonna keep me down
Bounce, Bounce Stand up, shout it out
Bounce, Bounce I play hard, I play to win
Count me out, count me in
I'll be bouncing back again.."

TD shows they can write seriously good shit if they've a mind to.
I like the song Bounce, it might not have the greatest lyrics, but it just fun to listen too. (the song i mean, the album is quite bad).

These Days is great no doubt about it, but i probably would put Keep the faith just a bit higher. Dry County is just that damn good.

Iceman 12-21-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makedde (Post 1033238)
These Days is a brilliant album.

It's a depressing album. Most songs are good on their own, but as a whole it's a damn depressing album.

Quote:

It sounds like he actually sat down and really thought about these songs, and wrote these beautiful, perfect lyrics, and come up with this amazing album which most everyone here can agree is a ****ing masterpiece.
He?

Ice

Shaz 12-21-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammy645 (Post 1033244)
I like the song Bounce, it might not have the greatest lyrics, but it just fun to listen too. (the song i mean, the album is quite bad).

These Days is great no doubt about it, but i probably would put Keep the faith just a bit higher. Dry County is just that damn good.

I was lucky to hear the album [Bounce] pre release...had already read the hype leading into the release of how it was going to be a much 'heavier' guitar sounding album etc...that much was kinda right....didn't mind 'Everyday'...quite liked the sound of 'Hook Me Up'...but when I heard Bounce...a picture paints a thousand words, so shame no one filmed me at that point....I'd have uploaded that and, seriously, no words needed.
Later, once the tour was off and running, I watched some vids at YT of Bounce [and others from that album] and while I can get that maybe, in the 'heat' of the gig, it might have played over okay, I can not stand the song, and seeing it live, albeit on YT, did not improve that. And for sure, does not pay to put that Cd in the player, along with TD and then hit random play, cause if you hear Bounce and then straight after, These Days...just makes me 'sad' they don't write stuff like that now [and it can not be because they can't]

Shaz 12-21-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1033245)
It's a depressing album. Most songs are good on their own, but as a whole it's a damn depressing album.
Ice

Yeah...there is a gloom about that album, but maybe that's it's appeal.

life_of_agony 12-21-2010 11:12 AM

Love it.
I must admit, there was a time during the whole "Keep The Faith" and "These Days" eras where I kinda missed the big hair/pop metal stuff that got me into them in the first place, but I always did love the album, even more so now.

So many great songs, with absolutely no filler. "My Guitar..." and "STBI" are two of my favourite all time tracks. JBJ's voice on "My Guitar" when it starts rocking out sends chills down my spine to this day. Phenomenal.

I think "These Days" is proof that no matter what Bon Jovi did, the critics would always find a way to knock them down. I think if, say a U2 released "These Days" it would be considered a classic and the critics would have lapped it up and hailed Bono and co musical geniuses. I do wonder how Bon Jovi would be perceived now though had they continued down this musical territory, rather than alot of the cheesy/poppy/overproduced stuff they have released post 2000? Would the critics now be on board?

I think another thing that appeals about "These Days" is it is somewhat a hidden gem (as much as an album by a band of Bon Jovi's stature can be). It is the album that proves what this band can do when they want to. Musically/lyrically and vocally brilliant.

I would love to see Bon Jovi work with Peter Collins again. The album sounds great and they sound like a proper, raw rock n' roll band.

I'm gonna go listen to it now.

Butters 12-21-2010 11:40 AM

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree about These Days being their masterpiece album. It is the one album from any artist I've ever listened to where I actually can't find a bad thing to say about it. I tried this not too long ago; I did my best to be as critical as possible and see if there was anything imperfect about the album and I honestly can't find one thing. Every song is a masterpiece and nothing comes close to it.

I would disagree that they are incapable of writing anything like the quality on These Days again. The Circle is incredible and is a very respectable second to These Days in terms of quality, IMHO.

crimson_05 12-21-2010 11:49 AM

Agree with opinions expressed above, it's embarrasing comparing lyrics from post 2000 albums with These Days. Musically it had so much going on too, and didn't suffer from the 'wall of sound' production recent albums have.

Savvi 12-21-2010 04:27 PM

Good album? Yes... but Slippery, Faith and Jersey all trump it IMO.

schlochty 12-21-2010 04:59 PM

These Days is my favourite Bon Jovi album. There is such an incredible depth to be felt both from a lyrical and a musical point of view. It actually sounds like they tried to pour everything they had into the writing and recording of that album. The outcome is stunning.

I recently bought the vynil version on Ebay and it was (once again) like listening to an entirely different record. It sounds even more sophisticated.

The question I keep asking myself is: How can a band write and record a song like Something To Believe In AS WELL AS writing and recording such lyrical and musical rubbish like We Got It Going On? (this being only one of a view examples, and yes I know it gets crowds going)

Rdkopper 12-21-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1033271)

Agree!

I'd like to think that Bon Jovi keeps reinvesting itself. People ignore the first two albums which I think are amazing. Not so much lyrically but vocally and instrumentally. So raw.

Slippery and Jersey (& Blaze & Stranger) are my masterpieces. This is when Bon Jovi were at their best commercially and the songs just ruled that error in time. Talk about great chemistry. I could listen to those albums cover to cover and never skip a song.

I like Faith and TD and love certain songs on both albums but it doesn't do it for me Cover to Cover. Jons vocals were def at his peak and song writing is incredible but for some reason I can't get through the entire album without skipping. Although I can't find a bad song. I just contradicted myself but I can't explain it.

And post 2000, we all know how that story goes. I think the difference is Jons lack of vocal range and emotion. As far as the lyrics go, I don't know. There are some great songs out there where I can't even understand the lyrics. People listen to Italian Opera and don't even know the language. IMO it comes down to lack of vocal range and emotion.

But I don’t dislike the songs. There is that fine line between good and great and I feel the band just keeps missing it. The Circle, for me, is pretty darn close but I agree, it's no TD

Roxannah 12-21-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlochty (Post 1033273)
The question I keep asking myself is: How can a band write and record a song like Something To Believe In AS WELL AS writing and recording such lyrical and musical rubbish like We Got It Going On? (this being only one of a view examples, and yes I know it gets crowds going)

one of the things i love about Jovi is they aren't unidimensional. I love diversity, and to some extent, i find that in this band. TD is one of my favourite albuns by any artist, yet it's a dark gloomy album and i honestly can't imagine a show where only TD type songs are played. that would make me feel incredibly miserable :) this gloomy mood of the album is part of the appeal, like someone here said, but i believe it's also why so many people don't like it. you'd have to be in a certain state of mind to listen to it, IMO.

taking your examples, STBI is a very introspective song which pretty much represents the mood of most of the album. WGIGO is a party song which is not meant to be taken seriously, and is part of a much more laid-back easy-going album. not all songs have to have this serious aspect to it to be great songs. that's not saying they don't write junk songs and this is probably what you meant. they do and they have. i just don't think you can put songs like these 2 you referred in the same level.

JerseyGiant 12-21-2010 06:51 PM

love everything about this album my fav without a doubt:) love the lyrics and emotion and 'my guitar' to me is pure gold, i no most people always say will they ever write another slippery? hell id be happy with another record that has the same emotion and power of these days:D

milomom 12-21-2010 07:47 PM

These Days is my favorite album. Not just my favorite Jovi album - my favorite album of all. I didn't find it until more than a decade after it was released, so I still vividly remember how awestruck I was when I played it the first time. Yes, some of the songs are sad, but others are angry (Hey God) or touching (Diamond Ring). I think the album deals with lots of emotions, and I don't find it depressing at all even though I listen to at least some of it almost every day.

Dave 1986 12-21-2010 08:13 PM

I think after all these years of wondering, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that These Days is my favourite Bon Jovi album. Definately a hidden gem amongst an array of more "popular" albums is considered by a lot of people to be the last in the "classic" series of Bon Jovi albums.

It's one of those albums that's timeless yet very "of-it's-time" as well. It's darker, angrier and sincere lyrically and the music was much richer. The songs made you feel like Jon and the boys were really on your side more than ever. They became more like human beings and the songs were much more relateable. I've owned the album for almost a decade now and it still gets regular spins in my stereo and even today I i get something new or different out of every listen. Especially as I am getting older and maturing as an adult I've found certain songs are speaking (or have spoken) to me more in relation to past and present experiences. Some songs on there have helped me through tough times in years past and others more recently.

Indeed, it does get overrated on here I suppose due to the fact that as I said before, it's considered to be the last classic album before the mediocre line of material from Crush onward, and it's one of the least remembered amongst casual fans and the media. But this is probably what draws people to the album more. It's much darker (possibly their darkest) than previous albums but I wouldn't go as far as calling it depressing. (You want depressing? Go listen to Coldplay) Even in the bleakest of moments, there's still a sense of underlying optimism within the lyrics.

I'll waiting for the band to release an album that I would consider a true successor to These Days.

Kathleen 12-21-2010 08:16 PM

I'll take anything from These Days. BUT - the title track has been with me for almost 15 years and has stood the test of time. Up until recently, if anyone made me list my favorite song (with no ands, ifs or buts) I would have said Thunder Road By Bruce Springsteen. These Days has stood my test of time and is rapidly approaching Thunder Road which is a real dilemma for me.

Malachy 12-21-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1033289)
I'll take anything from These Days. BUT - the title track has been with me for almost 15 years and has stood the test of time. Up until recently, if anyone made me list my favorite song (with no ands, ifs or buts) I would have said Thunder Road By Bruce Springsteen. These Days has stood my test of time and is rapidly approaching Thunder Road which is a real dilemma for me.

Not to change subject, but surely Kathleen you would have to have Jungleland ahead of Thunder Road? lol....perhaps even For You or Growing up...... aww they all are great piano tracks!

Kathleen 12-21-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malachy (Post 1033292)
Not to change subject, but surely Kathleen you would have to have Jungleland ahead of Thunder Road? lol....perhaps even For You or Growing up...... aww they all are great piano tracks!

Jungleland is #2 - Thunder Road has ALWAYS been my favorite. Maybe the difference is that Thunder Road is optimistic - "We're pulling out of here to win"

Malachy 12-21-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1033293)
Jungleland is #2 - Thunder Road has ALWAYS been my favorite. Maybe the difference is that Thunder Road is optimistic - "We're pulling out of here to win"

Outside the streets on fire in a real death waltz
Between flesh and what's fantasy and the poets down here
Don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be
And in the quick of the night they reach for their moment
And try to make an honest stand but they wind up wounded, not even dead
Tonight in jungleland

thats ant optimistic for ya lol :)

Kathleen 12-21-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malachy (Post 1033295)
Outside the streets on fire in a real death waltz
Between flesh and what's fantasy and the poets down here
Don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be
And in the quick of the night they reach for their moment
And try to make an honest stand but they wind up wounded, not even dead
Tonight in jungleland

thats ant optimistic for ya lol :)

Great poetry but NOT an optimistic thought. Winding up wounded and not even dead - no thanks.

yomamasofat 12-21-2010 11:18 PM

It is the first Bon Jovi album that let me down.
It is overrated.

The title track is awesome, I heard it live before the album was released and I thought this band could do no wrong. Boy, was I disappointed when I bought the album. There are exactly 5 good songs in this album: title track, Something For The Pain, Hearts Breaking Even, If That's What It Takes and This Ain't A Love Song (to me, this is their 4th great ballad after the holy trinity that is NSG, IBTFY and BOR, not Always). Everything else is turd.

Matrix15 12-21-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1033245)

I think of it as cathartic.

Fredrik 12-21-2010 11:49 PM

Ah f*ck it, there you all go again writing about what is the best piece of musical history ever created.
To this day I remember vividly that June morning in 1995 I went into town and picked up this album on the day of release. A couple of months prior "Good Guys.." had been playing a lot on the "Dial MTV show" followed by TAALS and I was majorly impressed. Already had my tickets for the -95 shows at home, just didn't have the album. Immediately upon coming home I put the CD in the stereo, sat down and pushed 'play'. I let the entire album play through, following along in the lyrics. After it had finished I remember sitting there going "well, that was..... different...". Went outside, took out the lawnmowler and cut the grass. Got back in, gave the CD another spin and parts of it started to stick. For me it was such a different album, lyrically and musically from anything they had previously done. It was something new, it was a different Bon Jovi. It was something else, something more and evolved, than what I fell in love with back in -92. Over the following weeks it grew into a masterpiece, just every single part of it.
There are few albums that can stand the test of time and I still can listen to from cover to cover and just go "this is f*cking brilliant" each and every time. I can honestly only think of three such albums; Def Leppard's "Slang", "Keep The Faith" and "These Days" by Bon Jovi. But nothing can ever top the magic that is "These Days". It's just stands on its own. It's pure musical magic in its most honest way.

That's why I'm now, more than 15 years later down the road, is lying in a hospital bed with my hospitalized son next to me listening to this brilliant album with headphones. Currently on "This Ain't A Love Song", many masterpieces to go..

Good night.

Oh, and please play "Something To Believe In" in Munich 2011. A grown man would most likely pee in his pants and be happy about it.

milomom 12-21-2010 11:53 PM

What a beautiful post, Fredrik. I'm sorry to hear that your son in the hospital, and I hope it isn't serious.

Makedde 12-22-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1033250)
I would disagree that they are incapable of writing anything like the quality on These Days again. The Circle is incredible and is a very respectable second to These Days in terms of quality, IMHO.

If you compare the lyrics to The Circle to the lyrics of These Days, the two are way apart. These Days is simply superb, anything else pales in comparison, IMO.

Fredrik 12-22-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 1033324)
What a beautiful post, Fredrik. I'm sorry to hear that your son in the hospital, and I hope it isn't serious.

Thanks. And no, nothing serious. Came down with both some stomach sickness and tonsillitis at the same time, recieving some iv antibiotics and fluids. He should be up and crawling/walking on his tiny legs in no time (he recently turned 1, it's the eldest who's 8 I'll be bringing with me to Munich next summer).

Makedde 12-22-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1033271)

My all time fave Jovi album is Slippery. But lyrically, Slippery will never compare with These Days. TD is just perfect in every way.
It's not my favourite album, but I recognize it as the masterpiece it is. SWW and NJ are awesome albums, and they are my faves because I love the songs, they are catchy, Jon's voice is awesome. But These Days has the best lyrics I have ever come across.
Never will I find another album that can be lyrically compared with that one.

schlochty 12-22-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malachy (Post 1033292)

I'm with Kathleen on this one. As a massive fan of both Bruce and Bon Jovi, these 2 songs are my absolute favourite songs of my absolute favourite musicians.

schlochty 12-22-2010 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie79 (Post 1033277)
one of the things i love about Jovi is they aren't unidimensional. I love diversity, and to some extent, i find that in this band. TD is one of my favourite albuns by any artist, yet it's a dark gloomy album and i honestly can't imagine a show where only TD type songs are played. that would make me feel incredibly miserable :) this gloomy mood of the album is part of the appeal, like someone here said, but i believe it's also why so many people don't like it. you'd have to be in a certain state of mind to listen to it, IMO.

taking your examples, STBI is a very introspective song which pretty much represents the mood of most of the album. WGIGO is a party song which is not meant to be taken seriously, and is part of a much more laid-back easy-going album. not all songs have to have this serious aspect to it to be great songs. that's not saying they don't write junk songs and this is probably what you meant. they do and they have. i just don't think you can put songs like these 2 you referred in the same level.

I think you are taking a very interesting perpective here. I would agree that Bon Jovi are not unidimensional and this, among others, is one of the reasons why I like this band so much. My point is a slightly different one though.

When listening to some of the tracks they have released since 2000, I can't help but feel that they must have put less effort into writing certain songs than they did when writing songs for an album like These Days. I couldn't possibly know for sure, I'm just speculating. Yet, looking at some of the songs published post 2000 and their musical similarity (IML, Everyday, HAND, WGIGO, WWBTF) as well as their lyrical content (I hope the term "Live my life" rings a bell here), I can't help but think that they just haven't been as creative, passsionate and ambitious as they were when they were writing These Days.

Kathleen 12-22-2010 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik (Post 1033323)

Oh, and please play "Something To Believe In" in Munich 2011. A grown man would most likely pee in his pants and be happy about it.

This grown woman would join you and be happy too. I won't be in Munich but I will be at many of the European shows next summer hoping to hear as many These Days tracks as I can. Considering the cost of the trip - that's dedication.

I too hope your son is OK - it's no fun having a child that young in the hospital.

milomom 12-22-2010 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik (Post 1033326)
Thanks. And no, nothing serious. Came down with both some stomach sickness and tonsillitis at the same time, recieving some iv antibiotics and fluids. He should be up and crawling/walking on his tiny legs in no time (he recently turned 1, it's the eldest who's 8 I'll be bringing with me to Munich next summer).

Oh - a really little guy. :( That has to be tough. I'm glad to hear that it isn't anymore serious than that.

Fredrik 12-22-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomom (Post 1033361)
Oh - a really little guy. :( That has to be tough. I'm glad to hear that it isn't anymore serious than that.

Not this time anyway. He's actually born with a syndrome called 22q11, more commonly known as Catch22. People are affected by this syndrome quite differently, some have a lot of problems and others barely nothing. So far our son has managed to suffer very little from it. He was born with a minor heart failure (that by now has pretty much fixed itself) and also one cystic kidney that they operated (took it out) when he was only 8 weeks old. Apart from that he's doing quite fine. He's a cool little bugger getting big. ;)

I for one take this whole medicine/hospital thing quite easy, probably because I'm both doing my PhD in medical sciences and also go to medical school to become a doctor, not to forget the fact that my wife is also a nurse. So you could say that medicine runs in my family. ;)

milomom 12-22-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik (Post 1033377)
Not this time anyway. He's actually born with a syndrome called 22q11, more commonly known as Catch22. People are affected by this syndrome quite differently, some have a lot of problems and others barely nothing. So far our son has managed to suffer very little from it. He was born with a minor heart failure (that by now has pretty much fixed itself) and also one cystic kidney that they operated (took it out) when he was only 8 weeks old. Apart from that he's doing quite fine. He's a cool little bugger getting big. ;)

I for one take this whole medicine/hospital thing quite easy, probably because I'm both doing my PhD in medical sciences and also go to medical school to become a doctor, not to forget the fact that my wife is also a nurse. So you could say that medicine runs in my family. ;)

I'm glad he's doing well in spite of it all! And at least with your medical training, you can understand what the doctors are telling you. That has to be helpful. I hope the whole family has a Merry Christmas!

steel_horse75 12-22-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makedde (Post 1033238)
These Days is a brilliant album. The song is a little overrated, but still, it's pretty darned good. The lyrics in this entire album are fan-****ing-tastic. There is such raw emotion in those songs. It sounds like he actually sat down and really thought about these songs, and wrote these beautiful, perfect lyrics, and come up with this amazing album which most everyone here can agree is a ****ing masterpiece.

I think These Days is a masterpiece not because of the songs, but because of the lyrics. You'd be hard pressed to find an album like this one with lyrics to rival it. It's just that good.

Fast forward 15 or so years and we have nothing but garbage. The song lyrics they've come up with today sound like they took about two minutes to write, and were written by JBJ's little kids, not him and Richie.

I won't include Captain Crash in this, as this song is clearly meant to be fun, so the silly lyrics are expected. It's when they try a serious song and have the most ridiculous lyrics, you wonder what the hell they were thinking.

No Apologies is a good one for me. I hate that song. I hate the first three lines: "Just another white trash, train track kid, fighting for survival, trying not to do like his daddy did".

How retarded do you need to be to write such shit like that, I dunno. Everytime I hear that song I piss myself laughing. I can't imagine Jon keeping a straight face singing that one. The rest of the song is okay, it's just the first few lines **** it up.

The Circle has some great lyrics in many of the songs, but nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever come close to rivaling the brilliance that is These Days.

Thoughts?

New Jersey shats on anything that the band have ever done since then.

kety 12-22-2010 08:55 PM

I always like that each BJ album is different but they all have same BJ touch. It’s hard to say which album is my favorite, some day it’s NJ, then SWW etc.
I love These Days because it is so different from others. It´ s deep, dark, great lyrics, so much emotions etc. Because of that it’s special for me maybe for other too. Something to Believe In is brilliant song. I like to listen TD, but honestly I would not like to hear in live all songs from that album or similar songs . It would be too sad show . I like that BJ albums are different from each other.

Maybe guys are now older and feel that they must or want to write more about social things. In 80s, 90s they wrote about “young love” and emotion. I like old days very very much :D Same time I like new albums too. Even LH. The Circle is good album. Not all “ new” songs are my favs, but these songs are not really bad either. Guys like to try new things, styles like they have always done. It’s good, but we are used to with old things what we have listened years and years. There are many things I don’t like about BJ, but love their music very much :)

ticos_stick 12-24-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1033384)
New Jersey shats on anything that the band have ever done since then.

It's great but has a bit too much pomp. These Days has no silly rockers like LYHOM or Bad Medicine.

I like my music serious though.

jovi 94 12-24-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1033250)
Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree about These Days being their masterpiece album. It is the one album from any artist I've ever listened to where I actually can't find a bad thing to say about it. I tried this not too long ago; I did my best to be as critical as possible and see if there was anything imperfect about the album and I honestly can't find one thing. Every song is a masterpiece and nothing comes close to it.

full on agree!!.............. i would simply pick these days over it if i had to spend the rest of my days on a desert with one music album